The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why the grind has got to go in MMO's

Chiricahua

There is a grind in SWTOR. There is one in WoW. There was one to grind holos to get the uber jedi armor in SWG, although to grind a regular combat character took less than 2 days.

Developers are under the impression there is an unwritten rule to grind levels. If they had interesting quests like some single player games then the grind would disappear. For example in Fallout New Vegas it took about 50 hours (including side quests) to reach max level 20.

Having to kill Benny's body guards to get to Benny is one thing, but having to kill 20 rakghouls just to gain X amount of experience because some developer doesn't want to use his brain is another.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Grind is all about opinion.

I don't want an easy game, but I don't want an impossible one.

That's probably why I like Aion. I think it had a perfect grind, though NC has made it easier since launch. Would it not be for NCsoft's complete failure at managing an MMO in the western market I would probably play Aion for 5+ years.

Having to kill Benny's body guards to get to Benny is one thing, but having to kill 20 rakghouls just to gain X amount of experience because some developer doesn't want to use his brain is another.

Perhaps I don't have a character at a high enough level, at what point in TOR do players run out of experience-giving quests to do so that they have to resort to mindlessly grinding mobs?

There are people complaining it's too easy to reach lvl 50, and you're complaining you can't reach 50 fast enough...

I don't see him saying anywhere that he thinks leveling is too slow, just too repetitive.

However, I do have to say that the grind in this game feels less like a grind than in any previous MMO. I think SWtOR makes significant advancements in integrating interesting stories with quests and leveling, even if they did not embark on a revolutionary track that some were expecting.

Please enlighted all of us what you actually grind in this game?

Because there is no grinding that I can see

Or are you someone who wants to log in be 50 and full oranges and highest pvp gear?

Grinding is standing in one place pulling about 6-8 of the same exact mobs over and over again

The only thing that is even close in this game is daily commendations at 50 but I dont consider doing 4 quests a day (yes there are more but only need to do 4) for 1 week

I should have known as soon as you said wow had a grind you were too far gone to even reason with

Go p[lay lineage 2 for a couple months and come back and post what you think grinding is

Edited by mangarrage

There is a grind in SWTOR. There is one in WoW. There was one to grind holos to get the uber jedi armor in SWG, although to grind a regular combat character took less than 2 days.

Developers are under the impression there is an unwritten rule to grind levels. If they had interesting quests like some single player games then the grind would disappear. For example in Fallout New Vegas it took about 50 hours (including side quests) to reach max level 20.

I miss the days of 3 years from level 1-100 and several million pairs of shoes for skill 200.0

Please enlighted all of us what you actually grind in this game?

Because there is no grinding that I can see

Or are you someone who wants to log in be 50 and full oranges and highest pvp gear?

Grinding is standing in one place pulling about 6-8 of the same exact mobs over and over again

The only thing that is even close in this game is daily commendations at 50 but I dont consider doing 4 quests a day (yes there are more but only need to do 4) for 1 week

I should have known as soon as you said wow had a grind you were too far gone to even reason with

Go play lineage 2 for a couple months and come back and post what you think grinding is

^ this

It has gone in DC Universe Online. 1-30 in 1 or 2 days - then raid and grind dailys for better gear and additional skill points with which to customize your build layout.

More games should follow this model IMNSHO because in 30 levels in a couple of days you can figure out how your class works. The great storylines in SWTOR are the only reason I'm cutting Bioware any slack right now on an otherwise unnecessarily long grindfest.

There's grind in this game?

Dude, I am playing as casually as possible, not trying to gain levels quickly AT ALL, and I *still* leveled completely past Nar Shadda when I was doing Balmorra, and there's big swathes of Balmorra I didn't even get to! That's with repeating no quests, doing only one game of Huttball, etc... avoiding all the ways to get fast XP. Just following my class storyline and doing world quests as I come on them.

This is the most un-grindy MMO I've ever played... and I've played them since Kesmai on CI$.

It has gone in DC Universe Online. 1-30 in 1 or 2 days - then raid and grind dailys for better gear and additional skill points with which to customize your build layout.

If this is true, I was quite right to avoid DCUO.

More games should follow this model IMNSHO because in 30 levels in a couple of days you can figure out how your class works. The great storylines in SWTOR are the only reason I'm cutting Bioware any slack right now on an otherwise unnecessarily long grindfest.

You're under 30, aren't you?

There's grind in this game?

Dude, I am playing as casually as possible, not trying to gain levels quickly AT ALL, and I *still* leveled completely past Nar Shadda when I was doing Balmorra, and there's big swathes of Balmorra I didn't even get to! That's with repeating no quests, doing only one game of Huttball, etc... avoiding all the ways to get fast XP. Just following my class storyline and doing world quests as I come on them.

This is the most un-grindy MMO I've ever played... and I've played them since Kesmai on CI$.

Haven't played DCUO then lol. It's pretty much, here's your toon, tomorrow you're max level, enjoy.

I like this newer model of less leveling, more endgame and PvP. This of course depends on your product having a well built and content-heavy endgame and a decent PvP system :D

Took me about just over a week, to 30, plus the game ran my Old pc CPU Q6600 @ 80% for some resion ?

If this is true, I was quite right to avoid DCUO.

You're under 30, aren't you?

I'm 47 and have been gaming since paddle board pong hooked up to the TV via RF converter. If you're hinting at ADD, forgetaboutit. I'm just about 35 years ahead of the rest of you when it comes to having reached my fill of leveling as a way to waste my time to keep a subscription going.

MOST of the kill x of Y quests are bonus quests for the main quest in that area. I have run into very few where this was the main objective for the quest.

If it's a grind YOU made into one.

Edited by Keldrick

I'm one of the dudes who wishes there was an XP Off button so I could stay at the same level as my friends because doing a match or two of PvP or some space missions rapidly puts me out of their level range.

You want faster leveling?

ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho

Took me about just over a week, to 30, plus the game ran my Old pc CPU Q6600 @ 80% for some resion ?

The comparable time I've spent questing and gaining levels in SWTOR I would have had 3x30's already in DCUO.

SWTOR just feels 'heavier' in the xp grind than did say (modern versions of) EQ2, WoW etc.

Haven't played DCUO then lol. It's pretty much, here's your toon, tomorrow you're max level, enjoy.

I like this newer model of less leveling, more endgame and PvP. This of course depends on your product having a well built and content-heavy endgame and a decent PvP system :D

Played the open beta; I was so turned off by the twitch-based barrel-throwing combat I had no interest in the release game, and, judging by how fast it went F2P, I wasn't alone. If I want to play an FPS, I think I've got Serious Sam I on a disk lying around here somewhere.

It's not "endgame" if there's no "game". Why even call it an MMORPG? It's just Quake with a really big arena.

MOST of the kill x of Y quests are bonus quests for the main quest in that area. I have run into very few where this was the main objective for the quest.

If it's a grind YOU made into one.

True but you gotta do the bonuses!! lol Also the bonus quests dont ask to kill too much. typically 10-30 mobs which is not bad at all compared to grinding quests out in MMO land.