Ok, this is too much

Zanathax

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the brain of a "fan".

Analysis complete. Negative sentence. A well made game should not leave as many bugs open as to cause three downtimes in three days.

Problem: Someone stated a fair point that can not be bashed as easily.

Solution: Kill the persons credibility.

Answer calculated. Execute.

So you are saying Skyrim wasn't a well made game? Did you happen to see all the Youtube videos of bugs, many gamebreaking, that popped up in the first week?!

Yeah, shouldn't you be at work or school during the day? I know I am here in the US, so I play at night.

Because nobody in the history of earth ever had a night job, right?

Most MMOs have different patch hours for different regions.

EVE is the only exception I know of because it's all one single server and they found a time for maintenance that is generally okay for both the US and EU markets.

It's not impossible.

So you are saying Skyrim wasn't a well made game? Did you happen to see all the Youtube videos of bugs, many gamebreaking, that popped up in the first week?!

It sure wasn't in terms of bugs - Bethesda are probably the worst developer when it comes to bug-testing. I don't excuse it for anything, though, I don't with Bioware either.

This shows your complete ignorance of the process of creating a piece of software. Find me 1 bug free piece of software and i will fly to wherever you are and hand you $100.

It's not about it being bug free. It's about the game being down for 8 hours straight for 3 days straight. Patches don;t takethat long. There is no reason for it to do so, other than them having to make wholesale hardware upgrade or replacement.

If it's taking this long to implement a patch, that's on BioWare - and it needs to get fixed.

As I said above, I never said it should be bug free. WoW still isn't bug-free nearly a decade after release. But TOR has some big bugs that shouldn't be happening if alpha and beta testing had been done properly.

Maybe in unicorn land. But here in the real world there is no such thing as a QA process that catches everything - even the critical bugs. Oracle has spent billions on dev and QA for their product (and have worked on it since the late 80s) and I still find deal-breaking bugs in it to this very day.

The more complex a piece of software, the more impossible it is to have it even marginally workable. This is something you need to learn to accept if you are to find happiness as a user. Either that or you should go out and invent a better way to make software.

Daily patching tells me that BioWare et. al. are dedicated to maintaining the code base. It is a daily "we care" reminder. What I dread is the day when I think to myself, "you know...I haven't had to download a patch for weeks". That's when I know trouble is brewing.

Yes, I appreciate the active patching and the fact that BioWare is trying to eep things moving forward with fixing problems with the game. But I am up at night. Patching every frigging night this week is TOO much. I'm really sick and tired of this, BioWare. Patch once a week. Maybe twice a week. No matter what's going on with the game, patching constantly likethis is NOT the answer.

There has to be a better one.

This one STINKS!

Really wish people would read the customer outreach press releases that BioWare puts out. James Ohlen just said about two days ago that it takes time to work through these bugs and the results can not always be tested, fixed and retested in a week. In an effort to fix this stuff as quickly as possible, they apply these patches constantly. You get upset because you can't play at night, there may be people experiencing constant client crashes who have not been able to play for a week. They are administering them as they think they need to. It may not work for you, but until this game has some time to get these kinds of things flattened out, this is the reality of what it will be. It is a necessity.

Edited by gannonmoss

It sure wasn't in terms of bugs - Bethesda are probably the worst developer when it comes to bug-testing. I don't excuse it for anything, though, I don't with Bioware either.

I can assist you in this point. Bethesda is a bad company. Almost as bad as Jowood (or what it is spelled). I haven't seen as bad tested games as Morrowind, The guild and such sort.

By the way, removing bugs prior to launch is possible. It is just expensive. Some companies are willing to pay it (in money and time), other are not. Right now I see BioWare in the top ranks. Mass Effect was pretty well made. Sadly EA will cost them some of this reputation.

No. It's about my 15th MMO launch. Going to bac to Ultima Online. Most of them didn't do this at launch. They might bring the servers down for an little while(30 minutes t o2 hours) but 8 or 10 hours for a patch? 3 nights in a row? Nope. You claiming that this is necessary or normal for MMO launches shows your ignorance. It does NOT take this long to patch an MMO. This is a policy decision from BW... and it's a poor one.

So I;m complaining. I get to do that - Freedom of Speech and all that. If someone doesn't they won't change.

Two things: First, I destinctly remember quite a few emergency server shutdowns after launches of either main games or expansions from, GW, WoW, and Lotro.

Especially WoW weekly maintenace used to be more a guess work when servers would be back up, than anything else.

But I do agree that this maintenace feels rather longish, still maybe they do more than just patch behind the scenes.

Secondly, here, in fact, you don't have freedom of speech at all. These forums are (technically) private and in any private environment the owner of such can ask you to shut up, or, respectively, throw you out.

Edited by Gorantharon

Isn't this the second patch of the week, making it acceptable in the OP's own words?

There were four this week, two of them on the same day.

Secondly, here, in fact, you don't have freedom of speech at all. These forums are (technically) private and in any private environment the owner of such can ask you to shut up, respectively throw you out.

If we're talking about simply voicing opinion, then what an abhorrent way to treat your customers. Can =/= should.

Im sorry but this is a newly released mmo of course there are going to be alot of patches and certain things like exploits and game breaking bugs cant wait a week to be implemented.

I trust you've never played a mmo after release? or just complain about this at every mmo release?

Is that your "expert" opinion? :rolleyes:

I didn't claim to be an expert, so I don't see the point in the attitude. And I think most gamers would agree that anti-aliasing and working textures are a fairly expected feature in a game made in 2012 by an AAA developer with an enormous budget.

Either they don't fix enoughm then they patch too much

No it's more like they make a downtime for every little bug instead of combining some of them.

And if you come up with the "it needs to be fixed ASAP" theory now, then I must say how odd it is, that these patches become ready always at the same northern american sleepy sleepy times.

No it's more like they make a downtime for every little bug instead of combining some of them.

And if you come up with the "it needs to be fixed ASAP" theory now, then I must say how odd it is, that these patches become ready always at the same northern american sleepy sleepy times.

Though I disagree with OP about time zones, this is a fair point...last patch was what, two fixes? Why didn't they put the last two patches together?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.