Why no imperial trooper

alienstalker

The original trilogy one was Boba Fett.

The Bounty Hunter is basically the Imperial side's Trooper. Even if they did give us an imperial trooper class, there wouldn't be much we could do with him. Imperial Troopers are basically trash in the Empire - just a bit above a regular citizen if they're lucky. And when they get to officer rank, they serve desk jobs.

I have no problem with my character being awesome (partly because he's a sith being told this by people who could very easily be kissing up to him)

I don't want people kissing up to me

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is all hot and heavy over the lore side of things, but you fail to realize that the Republic Trooper already has a counterpart mechanically. The Bounty Hunter is already an exact mirror to the Republic Trooper. If you wanted an Imperial Trooper, you would have to restructure the entire game.

In addition, these eight classes already in the game allow for maximum diversity and story-line potential. Another story about a Trooper, only wait! he's on the Empire side ... and he's also a lot weaker! Really?

Also that would completely unbalance gear as both the Bounty Hunter and this theoretical Imperial Trooper would use Aim as their primary stat. The reason a lot of people don't want this is because we want other meaningful content. So when you say "how does it hurt you", it hurts us because we want Bioware to focus on things that are actually significant.

This is very meaningful content to alot of other people though. A Imperial trooper and a SIS republic agent would give 2 more stories to play.

I've been wanting to play an imp trooper since swg came out. (I never got to play that though, too busy in real life at the time.) But I find my light side sith warrior behaves very much like I would want a trooper to, I just downplay her ego/ superiority complex as much as possible.

I play the sith warrior right now also, I can't be like a trooper with a sith warrior. Its cool that you found out a way to make it seem like one. This thread does have alot of support, thanks for adding more. The more support the more likely they will put a imperial trooper class in the near future.

this is more of a lore comment, but I think it should be mentioned(or 'asked' more likely).

Does this game follow after(before) the series of the movies? I see that they have an event blowing up the deathstar at the end and in the beginning it has the force being discovered on the timeline. But, all spoilers aside because I haven't even finished my download due to the fact I had to buy a new computer last week after the old one broke down, I haven't heard anything about Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, or a lot of the other people I have seen in the movies. So, is this because it is on a different timeline or is this a different story entirely than the movie series.

Someone, please clarify.:)

Why would anyone want to be fodder? If you have been reading posts you will know that imperials treat their soldiers like ****. In one of the timelines, it said that they sent in waves and waves of troops without any care for them as they got slaughtered just so they could wear down the enemy little by little.

this is more of a lore comment, but I think it should be mentioned(or 'asked' more likely).

Does this game follow after(before) the series of the movies? I see that they have an event blowing up the deathstar at the end and in the beginning it has the force being discovered on the timeline. But, all spoilers aside because I haven't even finished my download due to the fact I had to buy a new computer last week after the old one broke down, I haven't heard anything about Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, or a lot of the other people I have seen in the movies. So, is this because it is on a different timeline or is this a different story entirely than the movie series.

It's called OLD REPUBLIC for a reason.

This thread is going round in circles, apart from warm support we get the same odd arguments against this class over and over.

1) Imperial troopers are cannon fodder.

- This is war people die, as for Bothawui bad strategy happens. Additionally Imperial population is far less than Republic so using this tactic can only work for so long the empire is just not afraid to spend its ressources.

2) Imperial troopers are treated like crap.

- So are aliens and slaves (Sith inquisitor anyone ?).

3) Imperial troopers hold no power.

- Neither do the republic's.

4) Imperial troopers are useless.

- The sacking of coruscant could not have been done by Sith Warriors only.

5) The imperial army doesn't have any elite troops they rely on bounty hunters and mandalorians only.

- Come on ! How is that true ?

6) Imperial troopers are bounty hunters.

- Trooper and bounty hunters are only mirror class they have nothing more in common apart from being non force users.

7) Imperial troopers do not exist.

- Come on please, they sure do !

8) Troopers already are on the republic side.

- Force users have 4 classes wielding lightsabers and using force powers, the Jedi order and the Sith have 2 each, how come having two soldier classes (in a war that is) is such a crazy idea ?

9) Their story would be uninteresting.

- The Republic trooper have a rather good story why would it be impossible for the imperial trooper ?

Now if any of you could englighten me as to how any of these points are valid, please do.

Edited by Nesta

Nes you forgot that the battle of bothanwi, commanders just sent thousands of imperial troops to their deaths with no strategy and they got slaughtered each time until republic forces were nothing but a handful. That shows how much they care about their troops. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I'd love to have been an Imperial Trooper, but it wouldnt really work in SWTOR due to the class mirrors I think. Imperial and Republic trooper would mechanically have been too perfect of a mirror, and people would rant about taking shortcuts etc.

Why would anyone want to be fodder?

Because its seldom done in games. It really wouldnt work well in TOR I think, but I'd freaking love a Star Wars (40k, whatever IP you choose) game where you're that individual who gets smoked in the background during a battle scene in a movie. And at the end of the game, your grand accomplsihment is 1v1'ing some mob that would by normal game standards be considered a Strong Mob in SWTOR in front of your peers (all also fodder by definition). It'd both be a great look into the life of the "fodder" as well as put the accomplishments of those who are of a higher-order (weird term but you know what I mean I hope) look even more impressive.

EDIT: for instance final boss for a game or w/e as a Stormtrooper would be you toe to toe with a well-known Bounty Hunter, or a fresh Jedi who is leading an incursion or defending his homeland etc.

Edited by Nerdwing

The solution I have been thinking about in my head could be done with an expansion sometime in the future...it would be a little weird but it could work.

Since SWTOR uses mirrors, BW could introduce a Bounty Hunter for the Republic side and an Imperial Trooper for the Empire. I know this sounds weird, but hear me out.

Even though the SWTOR Empire actively uses its troops, unlike the Palpatine Empire which used its troops as its primary military force, the Empire in this era usually has Sith do the primary missions. Imp Troopers are largely regarded as cannon fodder to keep the Republic military busy while the Sith complete the main objectives. Likewise, the Republic is known for turning to Bounty Hunters only to bolster their ranks. The logic is shoddy because, technically, the Empire had the same policy but I don't have much to work with here lol.

Anyway, these two new classes (Republic Bounty Hunter & Imp Trooper) could serve as mirrors to each other with a set playstyle and roles like the other classes. I don't really have any suggestions on that front but yeah...that's what I was thinking anyway.

Edited by MikeFL

This is very meaningful content to alot of other people though. A Imperial trooper and a SIS republic agent would give 2 more stories to play.

The point is that a trooper and operative storyline have already been created. To make two whole new storylines would be pointless and redundant. You also didn't address any of my other points. You want them to completely rework the class system so you can play the same class across a different faction?

You put the republic trooper as a class you can be, so why can't we be imperial soldiers as well. I thought it would be cool being able to be a imperial troopers but you can't be a imperial troopers. I think both the republic and the empire need a new class. The republic should have a republic agent, while the empire needs the imperial trooper.

I´ll back that up, seems strange the whole imperial army is really bounty hunters, and the republic uses smugglers as their agents ;)

it is set 3610 years before the phantom menace.

Why would anyone want to be fodder? If you have been reading posts you will know that imperials treat their soldiers like ****. In one of the timelines, it said that they sent in waves and waves of troops without any care for them as they got slaughtered just so they could wear down the enemy little by little.

I've read and responded to many posts. And I want to be one of those soldiers.

This thread is going round in circles, apart from warm support we get the same odd arguments against this class over and over.

1) Imperial troopers are cannon fodder.

- This is war people die, as for Bothawui bad strategy happens. Additionally Imperial population is far less than Republic so using this tactic can only work for so long the empire is just not afraid to spend its ressources.

2) Imperial troopers are treated like crap.

- So are aliens and slaves (Sith inquisitor anyone ?).

3) Imperial troopers hold no power.

- Neither do the republic's.

4) Imperial troopers are useless.

- The sacking of coruscant could not have been done by Sith Warriors only.

5) The imperial army doesn't have any elite troops they rely on bounty hunters and mandalorians only.

- Come on ! How is that true ?

6) Imperial troopers are bounty hunters.

- Trooper and bounty hunters are only mirror class they have nothing more in common apart from being non force users.

7) Imperial troopers do not exist.

- Come on please, they sure do !

8) Troopers already are on the republic side.

- Force users have 4 classes wielding lightsabers and using force powers, the Jedi order and the Sith have 2 each, how come having two soldier classes (in a war that is) is such a crazy idea ?

9) Their story would be uninteresting.

- The Republic trooper have a rather good story why would it be impossible for the imperial trooper ?

Now if any of you could englighten me as to how any of these points are valid, please do.

Thank you for the post, that really helped our point.

Nes you forgot that the battle of bothanwi, commanders just sent thousands of imperial troops to their deaths with no strategy and they got slaughtered each time until republic forces were nothing but a handful. That shows how much they care about their troops.

Bad strategy happens. What about the persians, they did worse. What about the British redcoats. They all did pretty much the same thing.

The solution I have been thinking about in my head could be done with an expansion sometime in the future...it would be a little weird but it could work.

Since SWTOR uses mirrors, BW could introduce a Bounty Hunter for the Republic side and an Imperial Trooper for the Empire. I know this sounds weird, but hear me out.

Even though the SWTOR Empire actively uses its troops, unlike the Palpatine Empire which used its troops as its primary military force, the Empire in this era usually has Sith do the primary missions. Imp Troopers are largely regarded as cannon fodder to keep the Republic military busy while the Sith complete the main objectives. Likewise, the Republic is known for turning to Bounty Hunters only to bolster their ranks. The logic is shoddy because, technically, the Empire had the same policy but I don't have much to work with here lol.

Anyway, these two new classes (Republic Bounty Hunter & Imp Trooper) could serve as mirrors to each other with a set playstyle and roles like the other classes. I don't really have any suggestions on that front but yeah...that's what I was thinking anyway.

Sounds like a good idea, I like it. I'm fine with Bioware making either a bounty hunter, or republic agent.

The point is that a trooper and operative storyline have already been created. To make two whole new storylines would be pointless and redundant. You also didn't address any of my other points. You want them to completely rework the class system so you can play the same class across a different faction?

Because a imperial trooper and republic agent are different than a republic trooper and imperial agent.

Bad strategy happens. What about the persians, they did worse. What about the British redcoats. They all did pretty much the same thing.

I would have replied something along those lines, bad strategy happens.

Additionally the battle of bothanwui was a defeat for the empire even if they destroyed the defenders they lost too many men and had to retreat, were the imperial troopers truly cannon fodder the empire would not have released its grip on the planet and would have stayed at all cost.

The empire ressources are not unlimited.

And i'm pretty sure the regular imperial trooper is better geared than his republic counterpart, because due to slavery the imperial industry is much better, and the imperial trooper is also better trained because of the militarist society of the empire which has a whole conscript caste (as I understand) as opposed to the republic recruiting left and right to hold its ground and match the empire's forces.

And even if the imperial trooper were truly cannon fodders, tell me how being the one succeeding against impossible odds would be bad.

Edited by Nesta