Why no imperial trooper

alienstalker

You don't understand military protocol, do you? When it comes to big decisions (like what to do with prisoners of war), its up to the sergeants and the officers. Not grunts. Grunts report back in to their commanders and ask them what needs to be done.

This is a case of having your cake and eating it. If you're in a war and you want to go on battles, you're deployed in a single zone of engagement. When you're off-duty, you're still not allowed to leave your zone of engagement. Do you think all those American soldiers in the Middle East can decide to go traipsing off to Dubai every time they're off duty? No, they stay in camp, just in case there's enemy action and they're called back on duty. You're soldiers, you fight a war, you don't go around solving problems for Hutt ganglords.

Now you're just talking about Republic Commando.

By dominate I mean the person who does all the talking. How the NPC reacts is not the point, the point is that if you are a grunt and you are in a squad with a corporal and a sergeant, you will not be involved in the conversation at all. The corporal and sergeant, the people with actual rank and authority, does the talking. You, a grunt, stay in the background and try not to screw things up.

I understand military protocol. But there are still decisions that troopers must make in the field of battle. They can't ask there commanders for guidance about everything.

While I do get your point about the not be able to go over to Dubai. They can solve people problems inside there own camp. When off duty in the game you can go around solving problems on the planet. As for space travel, its unrealistic that the republic trooper can just wander around the Galaxy on his own will. The navy seals when put in Afghanistan can't just go over into Dubai either. So in this case the game is just going to sacrifice realism for the sake of gameplay, like they did with the republic trooper.

You can talk in the conversation, you can ask questions, make a harmless joke, and say things like yes sir.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've made a SI and got him the imperial trooper armour which he can wear forever if I like, I'll be using electrostaffs with him, eventually I'm planning to swap the gear for the Dark Honour style armour if I find it.

What is a SI. I don't know any ranged classes with a abbreviation of SI.

I agree that imperial trooper was likely a better fit. BH and Smuggler both should have been neutrals. Either both sides having them or they start off as neutral with independent qest lines. Later on your could add in othe rnuetrals such as Pirates and the like.

Also to say that a non Sith never has any authority is silly, sure, they have less authority but Moffs in both the game and Lore seem to carry weight. In the end its an imperium, meaning only one person has any real authority at all...the emperor. Everyone else is just carrynig on with what esteem he grants them.

You put the republic trooper as a class you can be, so why can't we be imperial soldiers as well. I thought it would be cool being able to be a imperial troopers but you can't be a imperial troopers. I think both the republic and the empire need a new class. The republic should have a republic agent, while the empire needs the imperial trooper.

The republic trooper is basically the republic agent. He is all spec ops. Imperial agent also basically fufills the roll of Imperial trooper. By suggesting that you think THESE are the 2 new classes that should be added, shows you have 0 appreciation of the time it takes to make a game and all that goes into it.

Given the ID check that a Imperial Trooper would have to do daily, I came up with this mission.

Player : another boring day standing guard at the gate of Koribban.

(Some Merchants approaches from far)

Player: Alright. you guys know the procedure. IDs and such.

NPC hand over their IDs.

Player: You there with the beard. You dont look like this person on the ID. Others can go but you gotta wait for a while.

NPC : But i need to get this shipment to someone ASAP. Why dont you take these credits and you know.

Option A: Take bribe (DS points)

Option B: No. (LS points)

you told other imperial soldiers to take the merchants into custody. However, the suspect pulled out a blaster and

Fight starts.

Fight Ends.

You later figured that the ID was a fake and the shipments contained weapons/drugs/etc.

you reported this event to ur superior. Ur superior then said at this morning they got message from the Imperial Intelligence that a group of Merchants with illegal stuff is passing by and he praised you for doing a good job.

Quest ends.

So....this is just a response to all you "what you gonna do is just stand guard for 24 hours and do noting else"

also i feel like some of the people replying to this thread is just arguing for the sake of arguing. They're not really bringing up any constructive ideas. Someone said that BW wont do this because no on will want to play it, this is totally BS because people like me would want to play. Plus, its all about money, if they can make us happy and get more subs i dont see why not.

This is not at all how it works. Besides, special forces or not they still have no authority. They have more flexibility, but that does not equate to power. They are still held on a leash just the same as every other trooper in the republic.

Also, do you honestly believe the Empire doesn't have special forces? Their agents are analogs of republic SIS agents, not special forces troopers. The Empire has said in numerous quests that they as well have special forces. And agent isn't a rank in the military, it's part of Intelligence. It's the CIA of the Empire, entirely independent of the Military.

Bottom line, there is no reason why the Empire couldn't have a trooper. Woulda been far better then bounty hunters playing the mirror of a soldier.

Exactly, you even fight Imperial Trooper SF units under the command of the defected Commander Harron Tavus.

I much prefer the Imperial Troopers, not for their looks but for their discipline & attitude. They remind me alot more of Imperial Stormtroopers compared to the Republic Troopers besides the armor.

Edited by Gees

The republic trooper is basically the republic agent. He is all spec ops. Imperial agent also basically fufills the roll of Imperial trooper. By suggesting that you think THESE are the 2 new classes that should be added, shows you have 0 appreciation of the time it takes to make a game and all that goes into it.

And you have zero appreciation for improvements. Bioware wants to make the game better. And I am leading them in the right direction. That is a stupid thing to complain about.

Given the ID check that a Imperial Trooper would have to do daily, I came up with this mission.

Player : another boring day standing guard at the gate of Koribban.

(Some Merchants approaches from far)

Player: Alright. you guys know the procedure. IDs and such.

NPC hand over their IDs.

Player: You there with the beard. You dont look like this person on the ID. Others can go but you gotta wait for a while.

NPC : But i need to get this shipment to someone ASAP. Why dont you take these credits and you know.

Option A: Take bribe (DS points)

Option B: No. (LS points)

you told other imperial soldiers to take the merchants into custody. However, the suspect pulled out a blaster and

Fight starts.

Fight Ends.

You later figured that the ID was a fake and the shipments contained weapons/drugs/etc.

you reported this event to ur superior. Ur superior then said at this morning they got message from the Imperial Intelligence that a group of Merchants with illegal stuff is passing by and he praised you for doing a good job.

Quest ends.

So....this is just a response to all you "what you gonna do is just stand guard for 24 hours and do noting else"

also i feel like some of the people replying to this thread is just arguing for the sake of arguing. They're not really bringing up any constructive ideas. Someone said that BW wont do this because no on will want to play it, this is totally BS because people like me would want to play. Plus, its all about money, if they can make us happy and get more subs i dont see why not.

I agree with you. I think that would be a interesting quest also. I think people underestimate how fun a imperial trooper could be.

• 2 months later...
The class system was structured to give mirror gameplay on both sides with as many unique storylines as possible. If you want to serve the Empire as a non Sith, you can be an Agent. If you want to serve the Republic as a non-Jedi, you can be a Trooper. If you want to be a freelancer type character, you can be a Bounty Hunter on Empire side and Smuggler on Republic side.

It is not easy to just create an entire storyline. People want to play BH and it just happens to be a class that could mirror the Trooper well. The storyline of a BH is totally different than that of a Trooper. Having an Imperial Trooper would require tons of different heavy aim gear to drop and having the BH be on both sides would inhibit their ability to actually look like a bounty hunter instead of taking the troopers' gear.

In short: the developers are not gods that can create as many storylines as you want. The trooper and bounty hunter are both heavy armor wearing explosive shooters with completely different storylines.

this. as awesome as it would be to serve as an imperial trooper, no matter the storyline or lore or whatever you want to find to argue about, it's an MMORPG at the end of the day. Balance and game mechanics need to be taken into account first and the Bounty Hunter already fills that role

That would be rather pointless. The Bounty Hunter is gameplay wise exactly the same as the Trooper. And the Smuggler is identical to the Agent. Why would you give a faction the same class twice?

he means story wise!

I can't believe I bothered to read all this.:jawa_confused::jawa_confused:

At the end of the day I think it comes down to this

1. What would imperial trooper or republic agent add to the game? Very little

We already have a trooper and agent story. In the empire first responce you make as a trooper that isn't "Yes sir/Yes my Lord, I will do as you command." or chose the snarky/jerk response your now dead because your commanding officer shot you or the sith cut you in two for your insubordination. As for republic agent it just doesn't seem like their spy network in the empire would be as big or interesting considering the laws of the empire pretty much allow any nonsith they deem suspicous to be arrested.

2. We already pretty much have a warrior, mage, rogue, and archer class for each side and imperial trooper would just be another archer and republic agent would probably be another rogue. Quite honestly it seems like the game would benifit more from something like a pet/summoner class where you have a republic beast tamer and an imperial droid technician.

I can't believe I bothered to read all this.:jawa_confused::jawa_confused:

At the end of the day I think it comes down to this

1. What would imperial trooper or republic agent add to the game? Very little

We already have a trooper and agent story. In the empire first responce you make as a trooper that isn't "Yes sir/Yes my Lord, I will do as you command." or chose the snarky/jerk response your now dead because your commanding officer shot you or the sith cut you in two for your insubordination. As for republic agent it just doesn't seem like their spy network in the empire would be as big or interesting considering the laws of the empire pretty much allow any nonsith they deem suspicous to be arrested.

2. We already pretty much have a warrior, mage, rogue, and archer class for each side and imperial trooper would just be another archer and republic agent would probably be another rogue. Quite honestly it seems like the game would benifit more from something like a pet/summoner class where you have a republic beast tamer and an imperial droid technician.

OR an imperial officer. Why only summon droids, why not regular troops? And the imperial officer is a really iconic class. For the republic, I don't know, either also an officer, or a politician. (Not like RL politicians, but like Leia and Amidala, who have troops/security forces that protect them.)

That actually isn't that bad of idea and the difference would still be enough for 2 distinct stories if you chose the politician for republic. Would also still alow for companions as they could be justified as your friend, bodyguard, or confidont.

I don't know about a pet class. i was thinking maybe an active support class. Keep the moff idea. For reps they can have their ambassadors/emissaries..... OR they can have Generals (like a jedi general... but you know, not.). They'd have the same basic standpoint. They make sense that generals and moffs need to visit the planets in their potential stories and would be on the front lines (relatively speaking).

They can use things like commands that increase or decrease attributes and build up Rally to be used as energy to attack, defend, or heal? Kind of like a rune/runic power system I guess.

Makes a ton more sense than giving imps a drone. That'd be essentially like giving us droids. Except, y'know, droids have more rights in the empire than a trooper.

Sigh. Ok let's go through this.

Those troopers in that cinematic? Yeah, normal troopers. Even if the commander guy was something special, the soldiers under his command weren't. Yet they were still taking out sith left and right until they got overwhelmed by superior numbers.

While force users do have minor precognition, it's not all knowing. How it works is they get a sense of danger, spidey-sense if you will. But that's it. They don't know what form the danger will take or where it will come from. So while this helps in a straight up fight, 1v1 sort of thing, it doesn't help in a warzone situation.

And Jedi did butcher droids in the clone wars. But it is canon that droids are vastly inferior to organics. They lack the adaptability and general skill of organics. There are plenty of instances where soldiers have taken out jedi as well, all throughout canon.

Also the timeframe of TOR makes this even more plausible. It was stated in KOTOR that with so many forcers around, the galaxy at whole had developed means to fight them quite efficiently. Even normal soldiers could sword fight with them due to training and vibroblades. This holds true for TOR, even moreso given the war. Soldiers are TRAINED to kill force users because they fight force users on a regular basis. So unlike other time periods, TOR is even more suited for generic soldiers to hold their own.

You say it's not practical, but that's a blatant lie. Plenty of stories involve fairly average people. In fact the best stories out there are the ones that don't deal with amazing superheroes. I may be a generic soldier, but I have good armor, good training, and a good weapon. And should I get injured there is bacta and kolto to heal my right up. Like it or not, there really isn't much you can say to discredit an imperial trooper storyline.

Those troopers in the cinematic, they were commanded by the guy who got promoted OUT of Havoc Squad, the Elite of the elite. So they must have been ALL KINDS of special to warrant a CO like that. Oh, and if you watched the rest of the cinematic you would have noticed that the Sith and Jedi have a lot more than "spidey-sense". I mean, stopping plasma ( a lightsaber ) with your bare hands? Pretty special. This is all assuming you were speaking of the Hope cinematic, if you weren't, i withdraw all my previous statements, and apologize.

I don't know about a pet class. i was thinking maybe an active support class. Keep the moff idea. For reps they can have their ambassadors/emissaries..... OR they can have Generals (like a jedi general... but you know, not.). They'd have the same basic standpoint. They make sense that generals and moffs need to visit the planets in their potential stories and would be on the front lines (relatively speaking).

They can use things like commands that increase or decrease attributes and build up Rally to be used as energy to attack, defend, or heal? Kind of like a rune/runic power system I guess.

Makes a ton more sense than giving imps a drone. That'd be essentially like giving us droids. Except, y'know, droids have more rights in the empire than a trooper.

I thought maybe they could summon more then one trooper. So say: 5 weak soldiers or 4 standard troopers or 2 strong or one elite. +companion of course. And after that they support them with different abilities.

(I have never played a summoner or support class, so I'm not sure if it would work.)

btw republic officers only if we can play as Mon Calamari :D

One thin that I find interesting is that an Admiral AND Keeper both say something along the lines of, "the Sith do as they please, and we have to make due". I would like the ROLE of playing a support class, but the story would be miserable because of the way the Sith- anyone who doesn't treat them with respect and fear is killed. I even do it all the time on my Inq. :rak_03: Edited by Amien

One thin that I find interesting is that an Admiral AND Keeper both say something along the lines of, "the Sith do as they please, and we have to make due". I would like the ROLE of playing a support class, but the story would be miserable because of the way the Sith- anyone who doesn't treat them with respect and fear is killed. I even do it all the time on my Inq. :rak_03:

Yeah, but if you treat them with respect, it would be no problem. Yes, the third answer in conversation is normally the respectless one, but for an imperial officer talking to a Sith it could be:

1. [respectful]

2. [friendly]

3. [fear or maybe sarcasm] like "Do I have a choice?"

I also think, if your superior is a Darth, you could order Lords or at least apprentices around.

I thought maybe they could summon more then one trooper. So say: 5 weak soldiers or 4 standard troopers or 2 strong or one elite. +companion of course. And after that they support them with different abilities.

(I have never played a summoner or support class, so I'm not sure if it would work.)

btw republic officers only if we can play as Mon Calamari :D

Agreed on the mon calamari... might be tempted to actually try rep side then.

But summoners just don't work in a game that inherently gives you a combat companion. It is like saying you can use 5 companions at once(ship droid included), but they only have 3 moves each. AND you get to use the 6th as a normal companion. It's overload, and will definitely require too many buttons with not enough action bars.

A support class you revolve more around say if you give Minor Buff on GroupGuy1 to a three stack, then you can use Major Heal rank 3 on GroupGuy1, or you can use Minor Heal rank 3 on anyone. If you use Minor Buff on an enemy instead, the enemy will get x% ap reduction and that will determine how much Major Damage Beam does to the enemy. There would be different situations, different prerequisites for your "combo" moves like Minor Heal, Major Damage Bea, and Major Heal in my example.

Ideally it would work like you could have a AP increase (enemy: decrease) , defense increase (enemy: decrease), and damage output increase (enemy: decrease) buff which would stack to an arbitrary number, and increase the effect of your bigger combo moves. You can spend the stacks of a same school for a major buff, or mix and match for different effects.. etc. Think of how wow's DK rune system works. Need unholy rune for plague strike(enemy debuff), frost rune for ice touch(enemy debuff). BUT you need unholy runes and frost runes for obliterate (damage increases relative to num. of debuffs).

Edited by Sivenom