Why no imperial trooper

alienstalker

I was a little disappointed when I saw there was no Imperial Trooper class. The BH isn't close enough for me. I'm sure this will be rectified at some point. I can see them adding a Republic Mercenary class and an Imperial Trooper class in the future.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why no imperial trooper?

Because they are mindless disposable troops that if not die during a meaningless frontal assault charge, certainly will on whim by the Sith leading them.

Along the lines of, Use one. Break one. Take a new one. :p

Edited by Dragoon-

Hold on, guys. I have to check this guy's ID before he can enter this staging area.

*Quest complete*

Objective: Not fall asleep while guarding the armory.

*Quest complete*

The Sith used Imperial Army Troops as cannon fodder. Look at the Darth Bane Trilogy (which is a bit further into the timeline here...) When Des was sent with the Gloom Walkers he talked about how the Sith Lords would just throw 10k or 20k Troops at an objective and if they died, they'd just send more.

If you want the Imperial Army experience, go stand next to one for a few hours in-game. Especially if you don't want that precious snowflake feeling. Just mimic their moves and then come back and tell me if you want to keep guarding an outpost on Korriban. lol.

We want to be cannon fodder. But Bioware can just have us put on the frontlines, so we are not doing the boring stuff. Just battlefield things.

Because they are mindless disposable troops that if not die during a meaningless frontal assault charge, certainly will on whim by the Sith leading them.

So like Republic troopers then? ;)

SOCOM has over 50000 soldiers in its ranks. Why would you not think this would be possible in a Galatic Army?

Because it would be pointless to send so many tens of thousands of elite soldiers to a single planet, and they were doing exactly what the regular army is supposed to do. The whole military is not just elite soldiers.

As an aside to the rest of the debate going on here, let's at least take a moment to think about what sorts of characters will fit into the game's framework.

Each and every character in the game who progresses beyond the tutorial world, should be expected to:

1. Operate by themselves or with one companion. You might be able to mock up larger groups, but in the end, the group needs to obey your whims, whether that be attacking a particular group of enemies or running to the cantina.
  2. Speak with authority for the group they are playing with. This is a requirement for joining any sort of NPC conversation. If you are subservient to someone else, then the game has no business asking you to join the conversation.
  3. Determine their own path through critical points in the plot.
  4. Be given the authority to leave the planet, be given free use of a spaceship, and be given the freedom to travel about at will.
  5. Obtain large amounts of currency and spend them at will
  6. Change their appearance at will, and without restrictions on uniform appearance or standardized gear

1: You will have a army with you, and your companion is your best friend so of course he will do what you ask, however companions even with the sith, are not slaves.

2: You don't need to speak with authority to everyone. But you can have authority over companions and average civilians.

3: You will be determining your path the whole way through. Making moral chooses, maybe it being what they want, or you might have to cover up what you did.

4: You can have a starship, but it won't be as huge as the one in the sith warrior class.

5: You are a soldier, you are being paid to work for the army, as well as spend it on items.

After each job you will be paid.

6: This is a bit tricky, but i think this will work. Since the army appears to have different uniforms for the soldiers when I go to different planets, you can choose which uniforms you'll have, You can choose from all the different uniforms that they have showed throughout the game.

I was a little disappointed when I saw there was no Imperial Trooper class. The BH isn't close enough for me. I'm sure this will be rectified at some point. I can see them adding a Republic Mercenary class and an Imperial Trooper class in the future.

Thanks for the support the bounty hunter isn't close enough for me either.

Thats what we were looking for. Being just a generic soldier. fighting, dealing with superiors, and trying to prove your worth.

And when they put in the classes I think they should the list comparing republic and imperial classes will be.

Sith warrior= jedi knight

sith inquisitor= jedi counseler

bounty hunter= smuggler

imperial agent= republic agent.

imperial trooper= republic trooper.

Well it is my firm belief that smugglers and BH should have been a separate faction, with the ability to join either main faction. Perhaps tied into light side / dark side options.

But to do that you would really need to have made 2 additional classes to take their place to balance things out. Imperial trooper and maybe an SiS agent, or to get away from more James Bond story lines, some kind of Republic peace officer type. I.E. cop story line ((if they did a mix of blade runner, the fifth element, and die hard / dirty harry it could be awesome))

From a story perspective I kind of feel that it takes away from BH / Smuggler to have them tied into the factions as they are.

But I think its to late in the game for them to go back and change this unless they do a major redesign in an expansion.

It would also be kind of gimp if they just split them off and added the new classes in since they would have tripple mirrors if they did not make some new class mechanics or designs.

That would be rather pointless. The Bounty Hunter is gameplay wise exactly the same as the Trooper. And the Smuggler is identical to the Agent. Why would you give a faction the same class twice?

wouldn't it make more sense to have

Trooper-Agent(change the name)

Smuggler-Bounty

?

I think it would match the lore more. Bounty hunters weren't exactly military. Sniper could easily be a mirror to commando and the same goes for Ops

1: You will have a army with you, and your companion is your best friend so of course he will do what you ask, however companions even with the sith, are not slaves.

So, how do you balance your army? Do they all do damage? If so, then you yourself must be nerfed pretty hardcore. If not, then they're just there to clutter the screen.

Either way: There's no way I'm letting you join my group for a flashpoint if you're trailing an army.

2: You don't need to speak with authority to everyone. But you can have authority over companions and average civilians.

Only if you're the CO of your mini-army, and even then, it's a stretch to claim that in a group conversation that any other class should care what you say or even let you speak. Maybe the Bounty Hunter, ironically.

Including a low-authority class makes group interactions silly. Even my Sith Acolyte isn't going to travel around with some peon trooper. She'd just have Khem Val eat them... except it would be a waste of his time.

3: You will be determining your path the whole way through. Making moral chooses, maybe it being what they want, or you might have to cover up what you did.

But does it make sense that a mid/low-rank trooper has the authority to make those decisions? I haven't seen much canon to support that sort of behavior. Only the higher ranks and special forces seem to have that much autonomy.

4: You can have a starship, but it won't be as huge as the one in the sith warrior class.

What's the difference? A spaceship is a spaceship. Do we let low-rank troops drive tanks around without explicit driving orders from their superiors? The game requires that you be able to travel about as you choose. Taking a detour to Nar Shaddaa because your Bounty Hunter buddy has a job there doesn't really fit in with the "just a normal trooper" story. A "normal trooper" would get court martialed for desertion if they pulled something like that.

5: You are a soldier, you are being paid to work for the army, as well as spend it on items.

Yeah, and it makes perfect sense that you'd have more money to spend on frivolous things (a personal speeder, et al) than a lot of the other officers around you?

6: This is a bit tricky, but i think this will work. Since the army appears to have different uniforms for the soldiers when I go to different planets, you can choose which uniforms you'll have, You can choose from all the different uniforms that they have showed throughout the game.

You're ignoring the point. Either you can switch equipment at will, including using mismatching pants and boots or flashy green gloves, or you are basically demanding that one class have very few options for armor (and a re-work of the rest of the armor to make sure they aren't wearing Agent or BH armor). Or perhaps you want them to revamp core game rules to support one class... whose limitations and lack-of-flexibility is sure to make them super-duper popular.

I didn't read all 5 pages, but I think the answer to this question is pretty straight forward -- Imperials didn't have troopers. They did have a military (as is prominently featured in the game via NPCs), but no troopers.

The Storm Troopers that the Empire is known for are actually republic troopers since Sidious took over the republic and turned it into an empire.

I understand that people wanna be jerked around by Sith and such. You get plenty of opportunities as an Imperial Agent. You even get to backtalk the Sith with the expected consequence. At the same time, I'm seeing a lot of people who want this game to be Star Wars Galaxies: Old Republic Mod. Unfortunately that's not going to happen despite many fans (myself included) thinking it'd be cool.

I'm also seeing a lot of people who are saying that the player character Troopers are *not* Special Forces. I'm gonna go on a limb and say those people have not even played a Trooper past the opening story crawl. In the OPENING conversation of the Trooper's story you're recognized as a member of Havoc Squad. Look into WHY people your adversaries are making a possible claim before you disagree based on the name of the class. Here, I'll even make it easy for you.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Havoc_Squadron_%28Republic_Army%29

That said, they should really call Troopers something less mundane, but I have a feeling they settled on the name in the very early stages of development. Remember when Jedi Sages used to be Jedi Wizards? :p

Edited by Digital-N-Plus

Why is Imperial Trooper not in the game? The same question as to why there is not a Mandalorian. Or a Republic SIS. Or a playable Wookie.

The answer? So there's stuff to put in the expansions. :D

Edited by Elblai

I think there could without a doubt be room for an Imperial Trooper of some type. From playing the Trooper questline, there is in fact a mirror spec-op force to Havoc Squad (the Shadow Fist, if I recall correctly). In fact, Commander Tavus even mentions that both forces have challenged each other on multiple occasions to stalemates. Would you need to be in that squad? No

I'd hope not, since I killed you in the questline.

But there are plenty of ways to develop a good Imp Trooper in the future if there is support. They would need a Republic mirror, though, but hey, this is just speculation.

Trooper plays like Bounty Hunter but BH and Smuggler sell their services to the highest bidder. Looking at their skills and abilities, Bounty Hunters and Troopers are more less identical. Except their motivations, loyalties, and their stories are entirely different.

And for those saying there can't be a storyline for an Imperial Trooper, there surely can be. I mean, the Trooper class isn't weapon fodder, so why would the Imperial side be limited to weapon fodder? There is potential, like possibly having this Imperial Trooper being part of an up-and-coming Sith Lord's rise to power. Or it could be your own power trip up the Imperial ladder (in the Bounty Hunter questline, you assist one Imperial officer in getting him promoted). Hell, the Empire is inspired by Nazi Germany, maybe your character is a high ranking soldier who is staging a coup against the Empire. Just some ideas.