What is this perfect MMO everyone is so fond of?

Grashopa

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Since my sisters 11 year old daughter plays World Of Wacraft, she tries to make everything pink, and she jumps around having a blast.

I could never enjoy the game..

And my kid brother has 4 World of warcraft accounts, he bots. Yes he is 13 year old and he bots in WoW to get cash (He is very smart)

Infact, he is more smart than Blizzard, because he has been doing it for atleast 1 year.

So, pinky girly World of warcraft with STUPID developers that get pwned by a 13 year old boy. Is and never has been my cup of tea.

However, lineage 2 is where it's at. A few years ago :)

The game that I remember the most and had the biggest effect on me was UO. Played it from launch for about 5 years.

I think a lot of it has to do with it really being the first of its kind, and the first game like that I had played. It would never work now how it was at launch, but talk about adrenalin pumping intensity.

The market and player base has changed since then and I have too. I don't think I would want a game like that now, but ahh the memories.

tricky question...

I enjoyed SWG hugely for many reasons, I sold my account for £2000 and moved on about a year after launch, they removed my main class from the game (creature handler, heavy swordsman) thus destroying my enjoyment and making it more viable to sell up my FS account. I damn well loved the game till then however.

Eve online, still there to this day... ground breaking game, excellent but utterly frustrating.

WoW, was refreshing and new... spent many hours just exploring but it got so dull as to forever tarnish my experience, the end of beta was by far the best time I ever had in an mmo, burning skys destruction and mayhem.

Planetside, loved this, so much fun and such a great concept... but got so dull and behind the times fast.

Swtor, brings in something I utterly love and adore and gives me biowares story and people to play with... brilliant but far from perfect.

I have no perfect mmo, they are all different and I feel totally different about them all... Eve has kept me for nearly a decade, I have spent many thousands of £ playing it and still return to it when I fancy, I now consider it an investment not a game.. but I hate it and love it just as much.

Yet to find my perfect game :)

I am by no means an expert, I have only played a few mmo's seriously though i have dabled in several. What i am wondering though is, what mmorpg has ever had a perfect launch with little to no bugs and has succesfully pleased every player?

There are so many thread here bithcing about whats wrong with swtor but what is it being compared to. What games have had a perfect launch and also had or hadnt had every feature everyone wants or doesnt want?

I know that for the most part everyone complaing on the forums are not truly going anywhere, but i still wonder sometimes where the ones that do leave go (not includeing WoW).

EDIT: Also, per the title, feel free to list your favorite MMORPG here despite how its launch went.

Typically it's the first MMO someone plays. Those are the ones we look back on the most through rose-tinted glasses.

This is before many of your time, but the text-based Dragonrealms back in the mid-90s was AWESOME. Learn-through-use skill system, unimpeded thievery/pickpocketing of other players, "real" character death, great universe, loads of secrets (e.g. Thieves guild for any of you who played), a system that described in WORDS rather than numbers (e.g. "your sword thunked into the goblin's arm, nearly severing it" rather than "418 DMG")....

I could go on. A lot of this is much harder to do in graphical MMOs now, but man, hopefully someday we have an MMO without any effing NUMBERS in it.

EDIT: Very strange.... I either hit the back or refresh button on my browser, and the forum actually REPOSTED my post from 15 minutes ago.

Edited by ArkimedesJW

Ultima Online by far. One of the originals is still one of the best. Pre 2nd Age of course. This is the only MMO that has got my hands shaking while playing! The fear of losing the items on your body brought a sense of realism that all others after it never had. The ability to buy and customize your own home. The ability to steal from others in town and to be chased by a mob of players for it? If your were good or lucky enough could away with it! That was true PVP. The PVP now days are for girls. No offence ladies. ;) That game was ruined by a bunch of whiners. Games now are a bit carebear for me to be honest. And I was never a PK. Our guild was Anti PK. We hunted PKs. And hunted them well! >:)

Give me an MMO like that. With updated graphics and I would leave SWTOR tomorrow. But for now I'm having fun here. Just not the same. And I've played almost all of them from 1996?

The first MMO anyone ever played seriously is the one they always compare everything else to. For me it was EverQuest. Was it perfect? No. But it was all so new to me that I put up with everything because I was just thoroughly enjoying the experience of an MMO for the first time.

Every MMO after that comes with that baggage attached. It's like your first love, the movies you watched as a kid, etc.

Ultima Online by far. One of the originals is still one of the best. Pre 2nd Age of course. This is the only MMO that has got my hands shaking while playing! The fear of losing the items on your body brought a sense of realism that all others after it never had. The ability to buy and customize your own home. The ability to steal from others in town and to be chased by a mob of players for it? If your were good or lucky enough could away with it! That was true PVP. The PVP now days are for girls. No offence ladies. ;) That game was ruined by a bunch of whiners. Games now are a bit carebear for me to be honest. And I was never a PK. Our guild was Anti PK. We hunted PKs. And hunted them well! >:)

Give me an MMO like that. With updated graphics and I would leave SWTOR tomorrow. But for now I'm having fun here. Just not the same. And I've played almost all of them from 1996?

Go play Darkfall..... too much PvP you will quit it and come back to this.

-IamKiller

The game that I remember the most and had the biggest effect on me was UO. Played it from launch for about 5 years.

I think a lot of it has to do with it really being the first of its kind, and the first game like that I had played. It would never work now how it was at launch, but talk about adrenalin pumping intensity.

The market and player base has changed since then and I have too. I don't think I would want a game like that now, but ahh the memories.

I was about to say UO too, but it's hard to pick just one game.

As far as different aspects of games, it's much easier to pick out. Definitely crafting, housing and skill-ups was UO for me. SWG had a very similar feel to UO, which is why I enjoyed it. It was a 3-dimensional version in regards to crafting, housing and leveling. I just think of UO, since it was the first MMO I played.

DAoC for pvp. I have never had as much fun pvping in any MMO as the sieges in DAoC. I've never understood why other games couldn't come close to that battleground design, but maybe it's because of the 1v1 faction system most have.

WoW had the most organized dungeon system, but after playing since launch, it just became tedious. SWTOR still has the flashpoint system, which I don't mind at all, but hopefully they will expand on more 2 person flashpoints and other dungeon designs instead of tank, healer, dps go kill trash then boss. The social points and instances like Colicoid are good steps to break that habit and gives me hope for this game's success.

The first MMO anyone ever played seriously is the one they always compare everything else to. For me it was EverQuest. Was it perfect? No. But it was all so new to me that I put up with everything because I was just thoroughly enjoying the experience of an MMO for the first time.

Every MMO after that comes with that baggage attached. It's like your first love, the movies you watched as a kid, etc.

That's very true. QFT.

I am by no means an expert, I have only played a few mmo's seriously though i have dabled in several. What i am wondering though is, what mmorpg has ever had a perfect launch with little to no bugs and has succesfully pleased every player?

There are so many thread here bithcing about whats wrong with swtor but what is it being compared to. What games have had a perfect launch and also had or hadnt had every feature everyone wants or doesnt want?

I know that for the most part everyone complaing on the forums are not truly going anywhere, but i still wonder sometimes where the ones that do leave go (not includeing WoW).

EDIT: Also, per the title, feel free to list your favorite MMORPG here despite how its launch went.

I know of a game thats better than this in every aspect.

Its too cool for you though.

So i am just going to keep trash talking about swtor till you catch on.

To the thing...

That exists.

That i know about because I am cool.

Swtor doesnt have enough red pixels. So there. Just unsub. Not enough red.

Don't think my perfect one has come around yet.

However, the most fun, the most fond memorys and without a doubt my favourite gameing community would be City of Heroes/Villains (CoX), played from EU launch until it sadly went F2P few months ago.

Enjoyed WoW vanilla, kinda liked BC, not keen on WOTLK, didn't even give cata a try. Always felt more like a job/chore than something I played for fun though.

I would have to say SWG cause it was the one i spent most time with. Yeah it had its problems but it certainly felt like I was building the character i wanted to be and live the way i wanted.

However FF XI has got to be mentioned too cause it was just a unique mmo experiance. Its the one mmo where i felt challenged. Also being forced to group really brought the best out in people and made a strong community. Being a white mage was awesome but i equally enjoyed being a thief, pulling mobs for the group with my boomerang and dishing out damage with that sneak attack trick attack combo thing.

Also have to mention city of heroes as it was also fun and it has the award for most time spent in character creator.

World of Warcraft (pre expansion)

World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade was close

The other two expansions are pretty good, but not perfect; still a lot better than anything else on the market, though

Please go away!!!

Enough of your trolling the forums!!

go back to WOW and leave us alone