What is this perfect MMO everyone is so fond of?

Grashopa

I know of a game thats better than this in every aspect.

Its too cool for you though.

So i am just going to keep trash talking about swtor till you catch on.

To the thing...

That exists.

That i know about because I am cool.

Swtor doesnt have enough red pixels. So there. Just unsub. Not enough red.

Hope you are talking about Darkfall....

-IamKiller

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My first true MMO experience was SWG and I do still have fond memories of those golden days...

If ya'll haven't tried EVE, you should. Having played EVE makes me feel like an elitist when I see people on these threads complaining about the death penalty (LOL, what death penalty?). That being said, when I first tried EVE about 8 years ago, I found it to be virtually unplayable. Over the years they have done some awesome things, and that's one thing that ALL MMOs have in common, that it takes TIME to tune things and dial in the gameplay to give the best experience to the greatest number of people.

Kudos, Bioware. You make awesome games.

Also, please please PLEASE make Wookies a playable race! Curtbacca must live again!

Early on in Everquest ('99-'01, for me) was my favorite and most memorable, BY FAR. Ironically, I wouldn't want to go through such an all-consuming experience ever again, however! Therefore, I suppose I cannot call it "perfect". :)

EQ's immersion factor, challenging group/raid content, and social aspects were simply off the chart. Negatives included slow leveling/hell levels, XP loss, corpse runs, massive timesinks, and difficulty obtaining great gear. These gave the game its hardcore reputation. Ironically, said hardcore aspects are what made for unmatched elation upon accomplishing goals.

Honorable mentions for me include early DAOC for its incredible pvp, and to a lesser extent vanilla WoW (decent pvp/raiding), EQ2 (pve) and FFXI (pve).

Really, there is no "perfect MMO". Different people want different things in these games, and the genre is constantly changing.

Thus far we're really enjoying SWTOR. It has its issues, sure, but the good far outweighs the bad for us (my family and friends). Normally, I dislike story-driven linear games. Go figure.

Our friends lists are very healthy and growing. A good sign for SWTOR.

I was about to say UO too, but it's hard to pick just one game.

As far as different aspects of games, it's much easier to pick out. Definitely crafting, housing and skill-ups was UO for me. SWG had a very similar feel to UO, which is why I enjoyed it. It was a 3-dimensional version in regards to crafting, housing and leveling. I just think of UO, since it was the first MMO I played.

DAoC for pvp. I have never had as much fun pvping in any MMO as the sieges in DAoC. I've never understood why other games couldn't come close to that battleground design, but maybe it's because of the 1v1 faction system most have.

WoW had the most organized dungeon system, but after playing since launch, it just became tedious. SWTOR still has the flashpoint system, which I don't mind at all, but hopefully they will expand on more 2 person flashpoints and other dungeon designs instead of tank, healer, dps go kill trash then boss. The social points and instances like Colicoid are good steps to break that habit and gives me hope for this game's success.

I agree with SWG. I did enjoy it more than this version for the reasons you've stated. Until they changed the launch build. Then it went down hill. I never became a Jedi in SWG. When everyone could be one I didn't want it anymore. My guildmate was one of the first on the server to unlock Jedi. And that was good enough for me. Everyone wanted to kill him. And we did everything we could to try and protect him as he leveled up. Unlocking the hints was half the fun.

I am by no means an expert, I have only played a few mmo's seriously though i have dabled in several. What i am wondering though is, what mmorpg has ever had a perfect launch with little to no bugs and has succesfully pleased every player?

There are so many thread here bithcing about whats wrong with swtor but what is it being compared to. What games have had a perfect launch and also had or hadnt had every feature everyone wants or doesnt want?

I know that for the most part everyone complaing on the forums are not truly going anywhere, but i still wonder sometimes where the ones that do leave go (not includeing WoW).

EDIT: Also, per the title, feel free to list your favorite MMORPG here despite how its launch went.

no software exist, without bug's. yet with out ************ no inprovment will ever archived.

many theads about a sertain aspect the more serious the complainment

I've only been a part of two launches: RIFT and SWTOR

RIFT was by far better.

There were raid frames, mouse-over macro support and multiple specs from the beginning. Zone-wide invasion events gave players a reason to group up into raids larger than five players.

I have only seen this once in my 43 levels of SWTOR for the Ancient One world boss on Taris. My experience was dirt poor. The movement was very choppy and I couldn't see the damage numbers I was putting up on the boss due to awkward camera angles.

It seems Trion had raiding on the mind while designing the game rather than an afterthought. Granted on the SWTOR raid encounter I had max settings on (that worked fine questing and PvP warzoning) and hopefully when I hit 50 and try some real raiding lowering the settings will correct the choppy issue.

The actual raid (yeah only one) for RIFT at launch was hastily thrown-together chewed bubble gum as far as the art went.

First graphical MMO was either Mankind or Meridian 59, I can't recall. Having said that, favorite MMO all time hands down was pre-CU SWG (Best crafting...EVER!). 3rd is...hate to say it, WoW. 4th is Rift.

I would mention #2, but that will get me a warning (hint it has to do with #1 ;)). /sigh.

At this point TOR is running at #5. Maybe if BW actually starts fixing many the issues I have with this game (ie. static UI, ability delay, hardbound buttons, etc), it will move up in the list.

Still enjoying the game, but I am starting to realize that the issues I have will not be addressed anytime soon. Oh well.

Edited by fixit

I am by no means an expert, I have only played a few mmo's seriously though i have dabled in several. What i am wondering though is, what mmorpg has ever had a perfect launch with little to no bugs and has succesfully pleased every player?

There are so many thread here bithcing about whats wrong with swtor but what is it being compared to. What games have had a perfect launch and also had or hadnt had every feature everyone wants or doesnt want?

I know that for the most part everyone complaing on the forums are not truly going anywhere, but i still wonder sometimes where the ones that do leave go (not includeing WoW).

EDIT: Also, per the title, feel free to list your favorite MMORPG here despite how its launch went.

As long as people keep excepting **** that is exactly what they are going to receive. Until we start holding software companies accountable by not purchasing their garbage software things will never change.

Honestly as far as the definition of a MMORPG Everquest was fantasic. You had expansions almost every year, you had new features or update or way to inprove you character outside of gear.

The raiding was large groups and alot of it was difficult

The game was challenging yet fun and it was a social game. Server were solids communities

I have enjoyed alot of games tbh Vanilla WoW I loved until BC then thats pretty much when it went in the tank and got progressively worse

I really loved Vanguard and really thought that was going to explode, but thy released that way ahead of schedule, shame too it had alot of unique features

But perfect, yea no such thing, I love this game as it is now, I love the three class stories a ton so far and I think I'm going to go over and do a trooper to see how that all unfolds

I have been doing this for a long time, and I know a game cannot be judged upon release, there have been so many games that said this and that and really no game I have ever played and I have betaed about 10 now are ever close to what they wind up becoming

You know fairly early, like Rift you had an idea within 2 months, and were fortified at 5months that it was going to fail cause they created something great, then major nerfed everything and every class

Right now and I know we are 3 weeks in but they seem to be holding firm we will see in a couple more months where they are, and more importantly where they are going. At 6 months it will have an identity

FFXI around the Treasures of Aht Urghan time was my favorite. Although TOR is well on its way to holding that title. Unfortunately I wasn't around for FFXI's launch so I can't say what it was like, but I'd imagine pretty so-so. I've been in other MMO launches though and it seems like bugs in Star Wars are pretty on par with those games at launch (only way more fun to play). But I'm not one of the ones QQing around here :p

The game's new and I don't expect to be perfect or even close to perfect. I just expect it to be fun and have potential for the future. The only real complaint I have about this game that I think will hurt it for me in the long run is that it's way too casual friendly. I'm not saying the game should be entirely or even mostly uber hardmode, but it would be nice if they added in some super rare bosses/drops and extra challenges to capture that sense of accomplishment for those of us who miss the challenge and hard work that MMOs required before WoW came along.

I was around for the FFXI Beta and launch (for North America that is) and at release, it was nice. Everyone was quite cordial.. The NA launch was actually also the release of the first expansion pack Rise of the Zilart. So for NA, it was nice. RoZ wasn't bad, but I much so preferred CoP and ToAU. After ToAU though, it really started going downhill :(

Another MMO I enjoyed was "Kingdom Hero's" (F2P). The wars between factions were great and so well done. As well, they had an AFK mode were you could set your character AFK, and have your minions go and fight mobs for XP (they also had to level up as well). So set it to AFK, goto sleep / work, come back and possibly gained 2 - 3 levels. It was great. But it was needed becasue you had to purchase each minion and they started at lvl 1 - and had almost the same xp requirements as you to level.

Early on in Everquest ('99-'01, for me) was my favorite and most memorable, BY FAR. Ironically, I wouldn't want to go through such an all-consuming experience ever again, however! Therefore, I suppose I cannot call it "perfect". :)

EQ's immersion factor, challenging group/raid content, and social aspects were simply off the chart. Negatives included slow leveling/hell levels, XP loss, corpse runs, massive timesinks, and difficulty obtaining great gear. These gave the game its hardcore reputation. Ironically, said hardcore aspects are what made for unmatched elation upon accomplishing goals.

Honorable mentions for me include early DAOC for its incredible pvp, and to a lesser extent vanilla WoW (decent pvp/raiding), EQ2 (pve) and FFXI (pve).

Really, there is no "perfect MMO". Different people want different things in these games, and the genre is constantly changing.

Thus far we're really enjoying SWTOR. It has its issues, sure, but the good far outweighs the bad for us (my family and friends). Normally, I dislike story-driven linear games. Go figure.

Our friends lists are very healthy and growing. A good sign for SWTOR.

EverQuest was my game and will always be my game. I am secretly watching out for the EQ3 ;) I am hoping Bioware gets the IP from SONY! <-- that would be sweet.

Until then, i am having a blast here on SWTOR. Amazing game and world. Thanks Bioware!

I've pretty much played every MMO on the markey since UO, and I gotta go with the one thats held my sub the longest, EVE.

Whenever people ask me about EVE, I always say it's the MMO that everyone always said they wanted, but get scared when they play it. Player run economy, politics, war lines, alliances, trade... everything, and if you can think it, you can do it.

And dont get started on the Drama haha, best MMO drama ever

Long watch but toally worth it

Other than that, my rose tinted glasses will always fall on DAOC for its PVP and my Friar

The perfect MMO:

The versatility of the job/subjob system in FFXI

+

The exploration and sandboxiness of EVE

+

The fantastic storytelling of TOR

+

The community from the Landroval server in LoTRO

+

The UI customization available in WoW

+

The super awesome world PvP from the glory days of the Emerald Dream server in WoW

=========================================

The Perfect MMO for Me

Edited by belialle

call me crazy, but i really a fan of Vindictus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkj2XuXQc0I&feature=g-all-u&context=G2308157FAAAAAAAAAAA

here is a encounter, i have done.

why is Vindictus special?

well it's the only MMO that do not have a Healer, and game is based on skills only.

yet it holds the ability's and skills of a D&D construct

I even go as far as calling it a second generation MMO, and personaly believe that this style MMO have the future.

This is before many of your time, but the text-based Dragonrealms back in the mid-90s was AWESOME. Learn-through-use skill system, unimpeded thievery/pickpocketing of other players, "real" character death, great universe, loads of secrets (e.g. Thieves guild for any of you who played), a system that described in WORDS rather than numbers (e.g. "your sword thunked into the goblin's arm, nearly severing it" rather than "418 DMG")....

I could go on. A lot of this is much harder to do in graphical MMOs now, but man, hopefully someday we have an MMO without any effing NUMBERS in it.

Dragonrealms was fun, but their problem is they were greedy.

$15 a month for 1 Character if I remember correctly, especially when EQ and other games were out too, with $15/month for multiple characters.