What is this perfect MMO everyone is so fond of?

Grashopa

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Final Fantasy XI after Rise of the Zilart expansion. I was young, with tons of time to play and had a huge MMORPG in my hands. Everything was hard, time consuming but when it was accomplished (even a level) what an amazing feeling!!

Too bad Square Enix destroyed it with Abyssea expansion. Now its pretty much like wow. The adventure isn't import anymore, only he rewards from events.

There has never been a perfect launch. WoW launch was far from it. The past six years have made people delusional about new MMORPGs. And since when were expansions considered the same thing as launching the core vanilla iteration of a game? An expansion has months of post launch patches behind it, allowing the developer to perfect the launch process, and core mechanic bugs are generally resolved by then. Edited by Merex

Because he's a troll, and closet SWtOR fan

I'm assuming that behind the scenes, but I am actually interested in this mindset of "I come to the TOR forums just to slag the game", or "WoW is so much better than this game" when its comparing apples to oranges at this point (one game being 7+ years old, the other not even a month old yet).

Oh, and those people who have claimed to have cancelled their sub, yet remain to bad mouth the game.

And those people who claim "lots of players/people agree with their point of view", without, of course, offering any sort of proof or exactly what they think "lots" means.

Edited by Vulcrist

I think my perfect MMO would have no preset trinity classes, no levels, skill based progression, skill based combat, less fantasy and more 'realistic' weapon/armour stats (Mass, impact/penetration etc), player controlled consumer based economy, player influenced world map (player nations, farms and forestry etc), a deep and varied story encompassing both combat and non combat objectives, heavily customisable crafting system geared towards the consumer economy, a degree of reliance on other players to achieve certain goals (be it traditional PvE raiding, RvR style PvP, crafting items, maintaining and defending structures such as keeps, logistics of moving assets etc) and complex yet functional guild/clan interaction (alliances, war etc)

Alas, no such game exists with all of these. One day perhaps.

The truth is, no game is 'perfect'. Not in my eyes and not in the yes of, well, anyone I would guess. To proclaim an MMO as perfect is in reality, accepting a less than perfect product as everything can be improved upon.

In my case, I think SWTOR needs to change/improve some of it's fundamental mechanics in order for it to truly improve on the whole. Ability delay, excessive sharding and linear zone design rate amongst the top of my list of faults and in my view would need to be fixed or altered in some fashion to make the game more community friendly and overall better quality. My opinion of course. It's the presence of these mechanics that makes me and I'm sure some others recollect past MMOs with a smile on our faces, since the devs then chose not to make the fundamental design choices which in turn helped to foster community and so on.

In short, no MMO will really ever meet the deep expectations of a gamer and if one does achieve this you should count yourself lucky. Perfection therefore depends entirely on a person's perception and it's the game itself that ultimately determines the level of satisfaction, not just the amount of launch period bugs or first month concurrent useage peak or whatever else you care to quote.

This, this, this.

Seriously, anyone who says that vanilla WoW was the best game ever is either the biggest Blizzard fanboy in existence, a nostalgia gamer that is completely blinded by their past, or a flat out liar. Open beta/stress tests were an absolute joke. I could list on one hand the things in the game come release that weren't bugged. It took ages for Blizzard to patch all the problems with the game, and even then it was so inaccessible and poorly balanced that many believe it to be a miracle that the game lived this long. Memories of the flight master bugs and the Burning Steppes still give me nightmares.

Just because a game has issues doesn't mean it was a bad game. When WoW was released there was nothing else like it in the MMO field and that made it special, new, exciting, and fun. Sure it had problems - but the game itself made up for those problems.

SWOTR, unfortunately, does not have the game behind it to make up for its flaws...the ONLY special thing about SWTOR is voice acting and for many people (Myself included) I find it money thrown down the drain that could have been spent on making a better game itself.

May 1999 - 2001 Everquest was my favorite time ever in an MMO - I say May because March and April were really really ruff for EQ1 if you played on launch - but after May the game was pretty stable and it was the most exciting game I have ever played in my life...I still, to this very day, have so many fond memories of EQ1 that I still think about it every few days and how amazing that time was for gaming.

As far as perfect MMO? There isn't one, I like to think Darkfall could've been it...but it wasn't, just didn't click with me. Eve is good, but it's not set on the ground, it's spaceships all pew pewing up in the stars.

My perfect MMO would be a sandbox, but at the same time with the option to do such gripping storylines as Bioware have introduced into the MMO world with TOR. I think perhaps GW2 will be a step in the right direction with a storyline system that sounds quite similar to TORs and the dynamic quests and well the pvp that I so loved from the first one.

Overall I doubt there will ever be a really perfect MMO. But to be honest I think I would love as well one like you can find in such Manga as .hack or 1/2 Prince.

EQ1, before SoL (although I loved my Vah Shir Beastlord)

PoP ruined that game unfortunately.

you sir, get a +1 just for saying Shadowbane :)

Unfortunately no one here knows what else you are talking about lol!

I do!

Edited by Zunath

The mmo that I wish had been given more support and time was Faxion,very buggy,far from perfect but had alot of potential.No mmo has ever or probably will ever be perfect.Early wow was good,daoc I enjoyed,shadowbane was very good and Everquest got me interested in mmos. Edited by Karraway