Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Hero Engine: why?

Tokeee

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who built the WC3 engine?

you misread. "blizz didn't build the engine FOR wow" not "BLIZZ didn't build the engine for wow" he means blizz didn't build the engine explicitly for wow, they used one of their previous engines from WC3 and adapted it for their needs on their new game. At least that's how i read it. If he seriously was saying what you interpreted it as then >< d'oh.

Sigh. Come on guys, let's not all pretend to be developers who understand graphics/game engines ok?

Indeed! not ALL do it, just the legit minority of us :)

Edited by Trigg

Sir please start a developing company, your knowledge of the gaming industry is too much for these peasant forum dwellers.

Sir, please stop writing things like that. You don't have any facts in this post, nor your post have any correct conclusions.

In fact you are so damn wrong simply because OP is having smaller delta to correct answer from you; Hero engine at state where EA/BW took it was in horrible state and they didn't improve it very much further. So, from development point of view it was work done very poorly.

Kisses, your Mwanga Btwanga.

you misread. "blizz didn't build the engine FOR wow" not "BLIZZ didn't build the engine for wow" he means blizz didn't build the engine explicitly for wow, they used one of their previous engines from WC3 and adapted it for their needs on their new game. At least that's how i read it. If he seriously was saying what you interpreted it as then >< d'oh.

Indeed! not ALL do it, just a few of us :)

Ah gotcha. :x

But we can tell the difference between a well written engine and a poorly written engine. At least those of us that have played quite a few MMOs.

Ah gotcha. :x

But we can tell the difference between a well written engine and a poorly written engine. At least those of us that have played quite a few MMOs.

It doesn't matter how well written it is. BW got the engine when it was still in development, they can modify it however they want. Unless we had direct access to the source code we would never be able to tell how much BW put into the game engine. For all we know they could have signed the contract then threw out entire sections of the engine to rewrite them.

Sir, please stop writing things like that. You don't have any facts in this post, nor your post have any correct conclusions.

In fact you are so damn wrong simply because OP is having smaller delta to correct answer from you; Hero engine at state where EA/BW took it was in horrible state and they didn't improve it very much further. So, from development point of view it was work done very poorly.

Kisses, your Mwanga Btwanga.

i do wonder how you can say they not worked on it to improve it much, if you do not know by how much they worked on it.

do you some how have a copy of the basic coding they got then compaired it to the current coding ? if so how you get it, hacked it, stole it ?

seem to me unless you in BW programer pool you really not going to know what they done to the orginal engine at all.

Actually since they are using only a fraction of what the ORIGINAL game engine infrastructure is, it's hardly the hero engine anymore.

Once again, why do people insist on speculating over something they clearly know nothing about. Posting a link to wikipedia doesn't mean you've learned all there is to know about coding an engine, or how that engine interacts with the rest of the software code.

Companies make a ton of changes typcially after buying an engine. people saying you can't fix x and X really have no concept of coding. You can fix anything by rewriting parts of the engine.
No, occasionally there are some things that are so core to the API that you can't fix them without throwing most of the API out and starting over.

You don't have to be an expert to have a discussion about video game engines. The difference here is some people want to have a real discussion, and others want to act like they know it all.

Explain the knowledge you have or at least offer some perspective. When I judge the game I'm looking at what they built into the engine, not the basic tool set. Using my eyes and hands, I'm really impressed by the game they made.

I love that there is a huge discussion about the Hero Engine, when 99.9% of people have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what the engine even does.

Perpetual Ignorance is hilarious.

I like when 70% of the people post in 22% of the threads with 99.2% made up statistics because they don't have any idea what they're talking about. They just make stuff up to defend their position.

Actually since they are using only a fraction of what the ORIGINAL game engine infrastructure is, it's hardly the hero engine anymore.

Once again, why do people insist on speculating over something they clearly know nothing about. Posting a link to wikipedia doesn't mean you've learned all there is to know about coding an engine, or how that engine interacts with the rest of the software code.

The irony is you acting like you know anything about it either.

I like when 70% of the people post in 22% of the threads with 99.2% made up statistics because they don't have any idea what they're talking about. They just make stuff up to defend their position.

So you didn't actually understand my statement.

I said and i'll paraphrase so you can comprehend. -- MOST or Majority or for my Examples sake: '99.9%' which is a "TURN OF PHRASE" commonly used; do NOT know what they are talking about.

I said = most people don't know what they are talking about.

you said = Most statistics and people don't know what they are talking about.

Thank god you cleared that up for us.

My point still rings true.

So you didn't actually understand my statement.

I said and i'll paraphrase so you can comprehend. -- MOST or Majority or for my Examples sake: '99.9%' which is a "TURN OF PHRASE" commonly used; do NOT know what they are talking about.

I said = most people don't know what they are talking about.

you said = Most statistics and people don't know what they are talking about.

Thank god you cleared that up for us.

My point still rings true.

Nice try.