Defense interrupts GCD: A serious, and valid, issue for Warriors

Gankstah

Its being worked on. This game is not perfect but realistically its not even one month out.

No offense, but this is a bad argument. The game has been worked on for many years, and is very much not ready. They seems they wanted very much to get it out before Christmas though, so they released it anyway. Console games do not have this level of bugginess, Bioware gets away with it because it's a PC game that can be patched in a genre known for needing patches regularly.

So many things in this game feel rushed and/or slapped on as an afterthought. Overall, I'd say it's an awesome single player game and worth the $60 for just the class quests, but there are many aspects of it that just aren't good, mostly the aspects around it being an MMO, including but not limited to the lack of guild features, bugginess of flashpoints/operations, and the GTN.

I'm recommending it to people based off the single player play and the fact that it's beautiful, and I'm hoping the MMO-ness of it gets fixed in the next few months. I worry about the number of people who will try it and give it up due to the issues, whereas BW could have waited another 6 months to really work out the bugs, and release a much more polished product.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have this issue.

Change your ability queue to 0.0 and you won't either.

Do NOT raise it to 1.0 like was mentioned earlier in the thread. What this does is make you wait if a skill isn't ready, and it will queue it up if you hit it up to a second before its ready. If you happen to hit it again before its ready, it turns off the queue.

Changing it to 0 will only fire off your abilities when they are ready.

Are you guys sure that it has anything to do with defense animations? I only ask, because I've had this problem on other characters as well, and it hasn't necessarily been just in combat. My Vanguard occasionally triggers the GCD without an ability actually activating, my Sniper often has to use Take Cover 2-3 times before it will actually work, and it's not uncommon for me to see abilities with cast times just blatantly not go off at the end of the cast bar if I queue up another ability in the last 0.5 seconds.

I don't know, it just seems like there are lag and latency problems all around, and I would like to see some controlled testing done before pointing fingers at one feature or another.

I'm glad to see this post. I'm using a Logitech G15 keyboard and thought either (a)the keyboard doesn't work with the game or (b)keyboard failure. Either way I've been looking to replace it. But as I see all of you having the same issues I've been having, I now know I'm not crazy. Its a good thing, however, that I've been playing guitar for over 20 years making me a little less susceptible to carpal tunnel from keyboard spamming. Thanks for the post my friend.

I'm glad to see this post. I'm using a Logitech G15 keyboard and thought either (a)the keyboard doesn't work with the game or (b)keyboard failure. Either way I've been looking to replace it. But as I see all of you having the same issues I've been having, I now know I'm not crazy. Its a good thing, however, that I've been playing guitar for over 20 years making me a little less susceptible to carpal tunnel from keyboard spamming. Thanks for the post my friend.

Yeah this seems to be serious, what causes it, I don't know. I can press my buttons so fast and no skills fire off. Appears to only happen when i am defending a lot.

I agree with the OP completely. This is basically game breaking as it's our job as a tank to hold aggro and live but because we are in the middle of living we can't hold aggro. It's been as bad as losing 2-3 gcds before being able to fire off an ability because I'm too busy doing block animations. By that time I actually get the next ability off, dps has already ripped a mob or 2 off of me. This should be by far the highest priority fix for our class.

This is pretty much gamebreaking. Could anyone make a video of this happening in case the developers aren't seeing it? I might do it myself, but I've never recorded+posted gameplay videos before, so it might be easier for someone else. I literally have seen Retaliation interrupt 4 times in a row...it's really easy to see with that ability because it doesn't trigger the GCD. Edited by Lymain

Admittedly, this is a more profound issue for Juggernauts since we have such a heavy investment in Defense by default. But I figured this is an issue that should be brought to the attention of the entire Warrior community and not just thrown into the Juggernaut forum.

I would post it in GenDisc but that's a cesspool of spammers and whiners and I'm hoping this might garner some attention if placed in a different forum.

Anyway, Defense (i.e. deflection, parry, dodge etc.) interrupts the GCD. As a juggernaut I'm currently sitting at roughly 36% defense (buffed of course). Which means that 1 in 3 hits are parried/deflected.

I honestly think I'm coming down with carpel tunnel from playing my tank. I have to spam my buttons NON-STOP to get them to fire off. For example. I hit Slash but at that exact same moment I deflect a blaster bolt. The result is Slash does not fire off. There have been situations, more abundant than I would like to admit to, where I'm literally smashing my keyboard for 3-5 seconds trying to get an ability to fire off because I'm just constantly deflecting/parrying and I'm essentially "locked" up.

As a Juggernaut, this causes some serious issues. Particularly with 2+ mobs attacking me. If my abilities are not firing off in a timely fashion I can't maintain aggro. If I can't maintain aggro my position in the group is worthless.

The result of this is that tanks that are heavy reliant on defense (i.e. SA/JS and SJ/JG) are at a disadvantage to tanks who are not (i.e. PT/VG) because the likelyhood of them suffering this effect is far less.

This is the only complaint I have ever, I mean ever, registered on these forums. I am pleading with BioWare... PLEASE turn off the forced Defense animations. For the sake of my health (my hands) and my sanity. I'm not saying turn them off entirely. But if I hit Slash then it should trump whatever Defense animation is firing off at the time.

I now understand why at higher levels the failure to fire off an ability becomes more pronounced. This needs to be fixed asap.

Its being worked on. This game is not perfect but realistically its not even one month out. I suggest to you all that you check the dev posts occasionally. Hopefully this will help.

GeorgZoeller General Discussion -> Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

This issue is under active investigation.

The complication is that there are actually a number of different issues with very different causes and potential resolutions lumped together in this thread.

All we can say for now is 'we are actively working on the topic of character responsiveness'.

True but what should be just a cosmetic animation circumventing game mechanics is a huge fail from the part of the devs. Between this and ability delays, abilities preventing each other from firing, the Off GCD abilities becoming locked until you use a On GCD one it scream or really really bad implementation decisions at the core of the game.

In the end the problem comes down to IS IT FIXABLE? As in can the game mechanics be made to work properly without sync issues between client and server and between the events themselves destroying the intended way?

That explains a lot, like the good old "prepare to stab with Retaliation 3x before the skill fires off".

Fix please.

Nothing like twirling your lightsaber for the wind up.

I have to say I have not encountered the delays as much on my force users as I have on my non-force users (IA & BH). Still annoying as h*** though.

new patch soon with some warrior changes, and this wasnt addressed lol. Nor was the dmg output to sustain threat on mobs without spamming taunt every time its up.

But hey least we got something done with endure pain right! /rolleyes

I've been noticing this more and more, not only with spells that are off the GCD, such as Disruption and Retaliation, but even with stuff like Vicious Slash. I'll "wind up" and then change my mind.

Even when the GCD is done, there have been times when I've spammed Disruption 20x and failed to interrupt an enemy action. Please fix, this is serious issuez.

I've been noticing this more and more, not only with spells that are off the GCD, such as Disruption and Retaliation, but even with stuff like Vicious Slash. I'll "wind up" and then change my mind.

Even when the GCD is done, there have been times when I've spammed Disruption 20x and failed to interrupt an enemy action. Please fix, this is serious issuez.

Same, but I figured it was because of some sort of frame rate lag on me end(my pc is utter crap).

It's actually animations in general that're locking your abilities completely, even using abilities that are off the GCD entirely, if used at the wrong time, will take the time to show their entire animation before allowing you to continue on with your next attack.

I admit though that the defense one is probably the most annoying, particularly for my Assassin Tank.