Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Another Insult to the EU

RetroRayner

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong statement, my school hours cover "most"... Your sleep/work hours, does not.

Oh, so again, you want to be in the most, even though you are not.. Again, you are trying to represent an entire class, which you dont.

you know why 'that other game' has different maintenance times for their different servers?

THEY USE DIFFERENT CLIENTS

easy enough to understand, isn't it?

like it or not, it's far more reasonable for Bioware to have maintenance during a time when the 'peek hour' is 'only' for people who live in ... Australia (I really feel for you guys)

2-10 in the USA (extremely low to low player number) = 9-17 in the EU (low to mediocre player number)

2-10 in the EU (extremely low to low player number) = 19-3 in the USA (high to extremely high player number)

there is really only a short period of time to 'switch', even if they decide to switch the maintenance-time around. like it or not there are time zones around

ps: I'm from Germany, so I am affected by this (theoretically, anyway)

An easy solution to those complaining about US flooding to EU during different downtimes would be to lock creating new characters during maintenance.

Not really, people could just create the character in non-maintenance hours, then log over onto it during maintenance, and you are back to square one.

Because it suits them better.

Also, nobody cares, maintenances are always a pain, get used to it.

Tip of the day : Get a job, you won't even notice the game is down during the day.

I got a job and you know what? I work at NIGHT!!! Do you know what that means?!?!?!

I feel the same way OP do and i'm so *********** tired, that US always comes first when it comes to maintenance times.

It's 2012 and people still screw EU people over with this.

EA/BW you make so much money from this, why cant you make maintenance for EU at our night time?

Seriously?!?! :mad:

Sure take the servers down during the downtime for every continent, then the server maintenance staff can work a 24 hour shift. I bet those guys would enjoy the OT. Seriously, it is the way it is for the Bioware staff, not for any consideration of the players. It's way early in the morning so that if things go wrong, they have plenty of time to fix it and if its really bad, the staff that works during normal operating hours can work on it. Do you really think server maintenance is some guy logging into each server and doing work by hand? Id make a bet that its mostly an automated process, that may be monitored by a small staff (if that) working a graveyard maintenance shift, that way they can monitor all the servers at once, and only need to wake people up if things go wrong.

If it would have been an automated process there is no need to do it at a specific time, a pager to wake someone up if things go bad would have been quite enough.

No, the fact that they have to have their staff awake and that they have to take things down for so long means it's a highly manual, very error prone process, if it were otherwise any halfway competent sysadmin could do it and there would have been no reason to piss off EU customers in this way.

Oh btw, I thought they promised they weren't going to do this again? Gee, another broken promise, you'd think BioWare got bought be EA or something...

Most people would be working in school etc.. at that time. It is the best time for them to do it to be honest and fair to all.

A lot of people work unconventional hours. For a start the Bioware people who will be implementing this patch.

This time isn't fair to all. It is fair to the US and unfair to Europe.

If it would have been an automated process there is no need to do it at a specific time, a pager to wake someone up if things go bad would have been quite enough.

No, the fact that they have to have their staff awake and that they have to take things down for so long means it's a highly manual, very error prone process, if it were otherwise any halfway competent sysadmin could do it and there would have been no reason to piss off EU customers in this way.

Oh btw, I thought they promised they weren't going to do this again? Gee, another broken promise, you'd think BioWare got bought be EA or something...

You really have no clue about massive patches to software this size.. You dont automate it...

Its ridiculous. I pay for a subscription wich means 7 days a week. Not 6 days.

8 hours is too much. It just might be my day off when they do maintenance. And dont give me that "get a life", "get over it" crap. I pay for this game as much as US players do. And dont wanna find out on my free day i cannot play because of a whole day maintenance.

:mad:

They do it again? I'm starting to get sick of this game.

The majority of my playtime is not characterized by fun but frustration. The stories repeat themselves again and again (Prototype Weapon Technology!), combat system is unbearable due to the heavy abiliy-lag and PvP is just a "avoid-to-get-ganked-by-50"-system. This game is just mediocre in every aspect - even downtimes! The world design carries mediocrity to extremes!

Does BioWare really think this game is in a position that allows them to seperate their customers into first and second class? Do they really think this will make the players subscribe after the free-month?

I cancelled my sub and I'm glad I did so. I'm not willing to pay for this SWTOR Open-Beta, especially not when BioWare thinks I'm an idiot that will obey their convenience. I waited years for this game to come out but now I have a very bad feeling for it...

Edited by Ibuki

I got a job and you know what? I work at NIGHT!!! Do you know what that means?!?!?!

I feel the same way OP do and i'm so *********** tired, that US always comes first when it comes to maintenance times.

It's 2012 and people still screw EU people over with this.

EA/BW you make so much money from this, why cant you make maintenance for EU at our night time?

Seriously?!?! :mad:

ah, so you want to push the inconvience on to someone else. Just because you can play when most people are at work or school, doesn't make you any better then the guy who gets to play at night time. It is your turn to have maintainence during your playing time.

BW seem to be running this game on a shoe string so there is little chance of them actually properly separating out the EU and NA servers so that we could have separate maintenance times so both would fall at 2am at our own timezones (or at least one a damn site closer than losing a whole day of play in the daytime.

For crying out loud they are even so cheap that they can't run proper forums to withstand the full traffic of it's customer base when the game is down or has issues. We have to go into some view only mode or they pull down the forums completely. They can't even allow search to run so we end up with topics repeated over and over again.

if they kept the EU servers up you would just get flooded with U.S players while they wait for there servers to come up

The US downtime is done when the least people are playing IE: ASLEEP,please tell me why would they get up just to play on the EU servers?

For everyone saying that they need to do the maintenance at a unified time, fine. But start it at 1am CST which would mean it starts at 6am GMT or 7am CET and would be completed by 2pm/3pm. As it stand right now, running the maintenance up to 5pm for the majority of the EU is NOT acceptable.

The ideal solution is to do what other MMO developers do and have separate maintenance times, but if that is not possible, then they need to move the maintenance slot back so they start it earlier.

Its ridiculous. I pay for a subscription wich means 7 days a week. Not 6 days.

8 hours is too much. It just might be my day off when they do maintenance. And dont give me that "get a life", "get over it" crap. I pay for this game as much as US players do. And dont wanna find out on my free day i cannot play because of a whole day maintenance.

:mad:

I dealt with that with WoW, tuesday were completely gone for me to play the game, and I didn't complain. So what you want is you want the maintainence to be pushed on to someone else, so they can't play, and only get to play 6 days a week, and they pay just as much as you do.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.