Finding groups for heroics and flashpoints is rediculously HARD

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is it ok to /whisper to ask someone if they want to do a flashpoint or heroic with you? It seems like a good way as the general chat rarely works but I don't want people on my server to blacklist me. My first MMO, don't really know how these systems work and what is acceptable or not.

So is it ok to /whisper to ask someone if they want to do a flashpoint or heroic with you? It seems like a good way as the general chat rarely works but I don't want people on my server to blacklist me. My first MMO, don't really know how these systems work and what is acceptable or not.

Judging from my own experience, having done this in many games for years and years, I would say that so long as you are polite, I think you will find that a vast majority of people in the game are actually totally fine with it.

The thing is, lots of people don't pay attention to what is going on in the General channel, or they are shy about responding to calls for groups in General. Lots and lots of people are too shy to even post in General that they need a group for something. I know this because I used to be one of those people. Very often what I find is that that people just seem relieved that I am taking on the burden of building a group, and they often seem very enthusiastic and even grateful that someone contacted them.

People who are so uptight that they are genuinely upset about a polite whisper are probably not going to be fun to group with, anyhow. I would hazard a guess that they might often be the same people who make snide comments about and ridicule party members who don't play very well, rather than offering useful advice. In other words: Not worth bothering with.

Any reasonable person you come across in the game won't have a problem with it, and despite what you may see on these forums, most people in the actual game are quite reasonable about it. You might even make some new friends while you are at it.

Having easy access to group content via a WoW-style LFD tool has really jaded MMO players. Kids who were weaned on this type of system seem to view other people in the game as little more than tools for them to use to accomplish their goals.

Edited by belialle

I for one am really against a random flashpoint find utility and thank god for now bioware is to .. yes u might want to become a bit more social to find groups but whats the worst that can happen .. and really stop acting like the spoiled WoW players because the LFG tool in WoW did nothing but removed the social aspect

Yeah, it is so much better to have to stay on the fleet for hours and not being able to do anything.

I have basically given up on heroics and i am close to stopping to try for flashpoints either. I just spent 2 hours on the fleet looking for a group to do cademumi and there wasn't even one player interested. The problem might be that there are only 70 players max on the fleet (level 9 to 50), but there isn't much i can do about this, as BW decided to do this (medium server that was artificially inflated to full for days during launch). And without any global and automatic tool to create groups i can't do anything while trying to get a fp group, so best stop looking, play to 50 and give up.

"Hey there. Don't mean to bug ya, but I was just wondering if you might possibly be up for an Athiss run?"

This is rude to you? Actually, what I am about to say is rude: I am inclined to say that if you find this rude, you really need to remove that stick from your ***.

You may not realize this, but in the days before LFD tools, this kind of thing was extremely commonplace. This game doesn't have a WoW-style LFD tool (thankfully), so this is really the best way for people to get things done. What I have found over the years is that LOTS (and I do mean LOTS) of people don't bother to mark themselves as LFG, but when you ask them nicely, they are actually up for a dungeon run.

The best way to make it more acceptable for uptight folks would be to add in a "Do Not Disturb" or "Anonymous" option so that you don't show up on the /who list when people search.

I got tells like this all the time in WoW and while I didn't think they were rude, I did feel like they were a poor way to look for a group. Honestly, based on feed back from the 'community' you should be able to just pop into chat and get a group *snaps fingers* like that.

No need to harass other players with unwelcome tells here....we have chat channels, just spam them!

I agree with you 100000000%. Finding people to group with consists of screaming in general in the hopes someone reads it. It's insanity. I've been trying to get a FP going for 3 hours. By the time you finally spam enough to find the rare healer or tank, a group member has gotten bored and left. They have got to do something with LFG. It's broken and frustrating. I don't want to reroll but I'm going to have to be a tank or healer to get ANYTHING done. FYI, I'm on a full server.

Well I do get tells from time to time, also from people I do not know and at least here are some hints on what to write about.

First, please use English, or whatever the server language is you are playing on.

L33t is not english

Typing u instead of you might be efficient and look cool, but still typing two more keys looks way better.

State what you are looking for

State what Flashpoint you want to run, and what level is needed for it.

I have to agree with the general opinion though, the current system is not really as good as people say. Sure, in the early ages of MMOs there was no LFG Tool, and there also was no LFG channel, we did all with community and it was blah blah blah.

You see, in the early ages there also were no Airbags, no GPS and no Radio in cars...

On an RP server myself (was one of the few that weren't full on early access) and I to have a hard time getting groups for heroics and or flashpoints.

Usually when I arrive at a planet and start getting my heroic quests ill pop a 'LFG' type message right away and then repeat it every 10 minutes or so as I quest my solo stuff.

Sometimes I get a group, more than usual Ill get one other player and we'll attempt to 2 man a 4 man heroic with companions. Ive often commented on the difficulty of finding players but I do notice (and this is just an opinion) that if a group is already formed, say myself and another person we are more likely to get a response.

I just chalked it up to the fact that I mistakenly chose an RP server where most users are probably guilded and dont really need a PUG. Once in awhile I'll come across another crazy person like myself who is unguilded and has a completionist mentality like I do as the mere thought of not doing a heroic seems blasphemous. (what if this heroic rewards a cool helmet and I missed out on it!?!)

I figured i'll finish out my empire juggy on this RP server than switch to a PVE for my next character to see if I get any better results.

I have to agree with the general opinion though, the current system is not really as good as people say. Sure, in the early ages of MMOs there was no LFG Tool, and there also was no LFG channel, we did all with community and it was blah blah blah.

I happen to agree that the current LFG system could use some work, though I don't agree with those would like to see a cross-server dungeon tool.

Unfortunately, reality dictates that we have to do the best we can with the tools we are given. If BW decides to improve those tools, I'll be as happy as anyone else. Until then, it's not going to kill anyone to learn how to communicate with the other people in the game, that's all.

I've had no problems finding people to run flashpoints or heroics. It may be nice to have a tool that helps to find groups for people that are incapable of finding them on their own, but if you make 2 friends, it's ridiculously easy to run just about anything but operations - and those would suck as PUGs anyways. Edited by TeekDator

So finding groups for FLASHPOINTs isn't rediculously hard on our server. Heroics it actually can be cumbersome sometimes... I actually don't bother much with the heroics because of it.

Also on the wow server I play on (Gilneas) LFG was a NIGHTMARE. It was so freakishly bad between the teen boys and gold sellers. Very few groups were formed because of it. I frequently did /who INSTANCE name to track dungeon usage on our server.... and it was criptically low. Gilneas has improved since lich king expansion and LFG tool entered play.

Without a LFG tool I find too much time is just wasted not in getting a group, but in getting everyone ready and into the instance. I strongly prefer doing what I want to be doing (quests, tradeskilling, exploringing) while waiting for the group to form up. Much more pleasent experience if you ask me. And honestly I haven't seen that much more / less chat than compared to my WoW groups.

Only really notable difference looking down on LFG is the occurance when I run into someone I really like and we have that BLAST moment realizing we're not on the same server. Other than that... LFG is nothing but honey for me. :p

Judging from my own experience, having done this in many games for years and years, I would say that so long as you are polite, I think you will find that a vast majority of people in the game are actually totally fine with it.

Your method may work (and not annoy people) if you are the only one doing that but you propose it as an alternative to using the general chat.

So imagine everyone /whispering 20 people every time they are looking for a group...

/whispering people to get a group only works because no one is doing it.

The only time I had hard time and failed to complete on my server as a currently level 38 sage(republic) were the heroics on Nar Shadaar (sp?)'s Bonus missions which had like 4 heroic quests. But it was understandable due to:

1. The Bonus Mission won't get offered till you are level 28 (I think)

2. Well the name sais it... they are "Bonus" missions. Maybe not many people are interested in doing or due to reason 1, they don't even know they exist.

Bit sad they turned gray when I leveled 38, but guess I can come back when I am able to solo them. Other than that, yes I did had some trouble for some Heroic missions and specially on specific flashpoints but so far I managed to complete them all to my level.

Shadow Hand Republic Side I'm lvl 37 I don't even know what a grp is anymore there are always about 60-100 other people none of them ever need anything and general is barren atm

Yeah, the difference between servers are huge. On my republic char it is nearly impossible to get any H4 or FP done, there are 50-80 people on the fleet during prime time and often <20 in a level 35-30 planet. I just started a new imp char yesterday and it is like night and day. There are people everywhere, over 250 on the fleet and you find groups for most heroics and FPs in minutes. Compared to this imp side, my rep char is stuck on a dead server.

I would be grateful even for a revised version of the LFG tool in place atm. The comment column is so short you can't see what people is looking for past the first 2 words.

Maybe a tool similar to WOW LFG before the LFD appears. It is not that much more than the SWTOR /who but then you could flag yourself for specific instance you wanna join and for those who are already in a party and LFM you can whisper the leader and ask if they would need you.

I power leveled to 50 and skipped most of my Heroic 4+ missions since I am in AU I play at odd times where max there would be like 10 people online on a planet when I play. And since I have a lot of time in my hands I out level all my friends who started playing at the same time. And now all I do is missions on Ilum and stay of the fleet spam and watch hoping for a HM FP.

Options = Happy Players

My Thought process:

"Hey I feel like doing a flashpoint as soon as possible let me que up and go!" <--Using LFG Tool

"Hey I want to meet some peeps and get to know them" <---Gonna Use Genral Chat and wave to people in town.

It's that simple. I'm suprised how vocal the anti-LFG tool people are. Doesn't matter anyway cause we already have LFG just type who and flag yourself. The issue now is make it like wow so I can hit a button and do a quick 30 min dungeon before work. This is extremely useful for people that work off hours. Just thought I'd rub it in your snobby faces you lose we already have LFG

:p

The way I see it, I not a big fan of LFG tool. I'd rather meet people, and in due time, have a solid group of friend who I play with.

The LFG tool is good when you dont have much time and just want to get things done quickly. The downside is that normally things then are done in a rush, making the experience poor.

But if you really want to enjoy the place, then, I think the best way is to build a good friend list and run with them.

Sorry for the bad english. It's not my native language, so...

Edited by Jotadanet

You are level 23 ... level to 50 and run them on HM ... you'll get tired of them real fast anyways.

That's what it really comes down too, why waste a bunch of time trying to complete FPs when your just going to be doing them over and over at endgame. I pretty much run the FP once around level and forget about it.