SWTOR "Behind The Times"

Iknar

SWTOR: Warzones, dailys or an instance.

SWG: Bounty hunt Jedi, kill kryat dragons, find an awesome spot to place these harvesters, unlock a holocron, go destroy rebel PvP bases, build an entire city of houses with economy taxes guild hall and strategic housing placement for PvP tactical advantage, drop swordsman and pick up architect (or one of 32 other professions), Duel Jedi from opposing factions and slay them to gain rank up the Jedi council, Start a vendor in my house with custom items that nobody else in the galaxy sells, camp the acklay spawn, or be anything you want to be with almost no limitations.

WoW: Battlegrounds, dailys, raid the opposing factions main city and take down their leader, do arenas or an instance.

Anyone who played SWG pre update before Sony sent the game into a downward spiraling apocalypse knows that this game had some of the best features to hit the MMO scene of all time. While SWG had its flaws like any other game Sony managed to keep us inthralled by the sheer openness of the game. 32 professions? Yes 32 different professions that your character could set out to master from the start of the game. The weapons and armor in the game were all one of a kind, no items had the exact same stats unless made by the same crafter with the exact same materials. This set your character apart from everyone else in the galaxy by weilding a weapon with "unknown power" as you slayed your foes in battle. One of the greatest features SWG managed to nail on the head was their player city's and town government system. Making your own house come to life with furniture, vendors, and having rare items hanging on your walls gave your character a home and a meeting place to gather with your friends before setting out on the days journey to slay the mighty Kryat Dragons of Tatooine. These are just a few nimble recants of the glory days in the original SWG.

If your gonna make an MMO with similar end game features to WoW then why short your customers with features that have been available to their customer base for several years now? Ui customizations, guild banks, chat bubbles, dual spec, legacy rewards, lvl 50 chat, late game character customization, combat logs, targets target, PvP ranking system and a search feature on the trade market just to name a few.

Before you go off on me saying what does this have to do with TOR? Or why don't you go play WoW or SWG if you liked it so much? The point I would like to make is why arnt we seeing these types of features in MMO's At launch anymore? Every MMO that has been released recently has been a cookie cutter World of Warcraft play it safe to make money Video game. I quit WoW a Long time ago and while I remain loyal to TOR in hopes that the current gameplay experience will improve, I still remain blown away by the fact that none of these developers are stealing ideas from the amazing open world feel that SWG used or the massive amount of customizations and add ons that WoW offered. All I can say is I hope that one day a developer will share the same feelings that I do towards the current MMO standards. Thanks for taking the time to read my 2 sense on why Swtor is "Behind the times."

Edited by Iknar

While this features would have been nice, the game was never intended to be a Sandbox MMO. I would love to have some of the features of SWG, mainly the economy and player created towns, they were never going to be in SWTOR.

There two different style of MMO's, most of the features would just never work with SWTOR.

I'm waiting for someone to jump in nerd rage mode and tell you to go back to SWG.

LOL

This game actually made me miss SWG and I quit before the first expansion. I would be tempted if it were still around.

Edited by Nanotech

SWG: Bounty hunt Jedi, kill kryat dragons, go destroy rebel PvP bases, build an entire city of houses with economy taxes guild hall and strategic housing placement for PvP tactical advantage, Start a vendor in my house with custom items that nobody else in the galaxy sells, camp the acklay spawn, or be anything you want to be with almost no limitations.

I'll give you those for being fun and innovative that SWG had.

find an awesome spot to place these harvesters,

Never thought someone would have fond memories of this. To each his own. Most crafters dreaded the planetary run all over the place to find the perfect spot... for all 10 harvesters they had.

unlock a hologrind,

Fixed.

This ruined the community feel when everyone and their dog was trying for Jedi. Forget asking your favorite weaponsmith to make you a sliced krayt scatter pistol. He's now in the cantina shaking his moneymaker.

drop swordsman and pick up the new flavor of the month (FOTM)

Fixed.

run out to the middle of Endor, start a "fight club" and duel Jedi so that you don't end up on the bounty terminals and slay them in a safe manner to gain rank up the Jedi council

Fixed.

Nostalgia tends to give people a revisionist view of history. Of course, the one thing that I will always remember fondly of SWG was the community. And I think that is what really most people seem to remember when they talk about how great SWG was.

If this was SWG2 though, I wouldn't have any interest because I do not find sandboxes particularly interesting. I wouldn't log on and rage post on your forums, though! I don't comprehend the whole idea of 'All games must be for all people!' that seem rampant these days, though. That said, more features are often good - when it's done in an intelligent fashion. No dev team can do EVERYTHING at once. You might get more of what you want in the future, but until then, things might not be for you. It's hard to say, really, what BW might do.

Never thought someone would have fond memories of this. To each his own. Most crafters dreaded the planetary run all over the place to find the perfect spot... for all 10 harvesters they had.

Fixed.

This ruined the community feel when everyone and their dog was trying for Jedi. Forget asking your favorite weaponsmith to make you a sliced krayt scatter pistol. He's now in the cantina shaking his moneymaker.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Nostalgia tends to give people a revisionist view of history. Of course, the one thing that I will always remember fondly of SWG was the community. And I think that is what really most people seem to remember when they talk about how great SWG was.

Pretty much this. I played SWG, and I loved it to death up until the NGE. However I won't deny it was buggy, unbalanced and poorly thought out. It's only saving graces were the sandbox gameplay and crafting system.

People assume because SWTOR lacks a modable UI and has some bugs at launch that it's broken and hopeless. Most of these kids have never played an MMO that was both successful and truly broken from launch until the day it died nearly a decade later. The simple fact is they are wrong. They never played an MMO were only one suit of armor was any good, half the combat classes were completely outmatched, the economy was broken by short sighted developer decisions and one class was so powerful it could solo bosses designed to be fought by entire raid groups.

TL;DR - The people complaining about SWTOR don't know how good they have it.

as they say, hindsight is 20/20. SWG, despite its ups and downs, was a very dynamic and engaging MMO.

As you mentioned, the uniqueness of crafted items was such a cool component - how many had a "<insert famous WS name> crafted DE-10"?

How many after a night of pvp retired to their player house and just kinda arragned things while taunting the silly BH standing outside?

How many grinded your jedi in the wilds of endor watching for blue dots on your radar?

Yes, despite its flaws - there was more to do in that game than any other MMO I've played

The OP is right.

MMO's launch with this cookie cutter wow build where their only concern is to make money.

As long as bioware can pump out future patches with a multitude of new features then all will be fine.

The OP is right.

MMO's launch with this cookie cutter wow build where their only concern is to make money.

As long as bioware can pump out future patches with a multitude of new features then all will be fine.

unfortunately, non-cookie-cutter MMOs dont succeed - Earthrise, Fallen Earth, etc. etc. etc.

This is not an attempt to troll.

I did not play much SWG and it was only for a brief period after the NGE, but if SWG was such a good game, a) why did they feel the need to implement the apparently horrible NGE and b) why was it not more popular than it was?

SWG was the hardest game to get back into after leaving. I'd go try to PvP and die. So then I'd go to my house and try to figure out why my gear wasn't up to snuff. After looking through 16 cabinets and realizing I'd have to gather a ton of stuff, I'd log out. True story.

I did not play much SWG and it was only for a brief period after the NGE, but if SWG was such a good game, a) why did they feel the need to implement the apparently horrible NGE and b) why was it not more popular than it was?

If someone at SOE ever wrote a book on why the NGE was implemented and the decision making around it, I would probably buy it. The SWG NGE is a legendary FAIL moment in MMO history....

Why wasnt it more popular? Poor marketing and the NGE albatross that it carried with it til it went away

Nge was the one of the most epic fails in history as stated above. At the time NGE was released WoW was just released a few months prior. This was sonys attempt to "save" their customer base by revamping the entire combat system and it started with changing the way one would "unlock" Jedi. It completely ruined the game. They changed the interface to look exactly like WoW and it failed hard. Needless to say Sony should never touch another MMO unless they go back to the original sandbox idea, that was awesome.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Yea I agree with the majority of this, and harvesters did take a lot of work but you could just leave them there for weeks.... It was so realistic I loved it

unfortunately, non-cookie-cutter MMOs dont succeed - Earthrise, Fallen Earth, etc. etc. etc.

The big issue has been the funding required to develop those mmo's WELL.

Those MMO's never seem to get a big enough budget and enough time to really develop and thus they come out with a bunch of brilliant concepts but ultimately fall apart due to being half-baked.

NGE happened in November 2005.

World of Warcraft appeared in November 2004.

That's about a year's difference.

Despite me not remembering the exact timing as it was nearly 10 years ago my concept for NGE remains the same.