Sawbones survivability lacking in pvp

Ellandess

You know what I wish? People would NOT run to the forum to post a "PVP issue" everytime they get facestomped, complaining X class is "lacking".

Smuggler Sawbones are one of the better PVP spec's in the game... and no I don't give a **** about 1v1

You know what I wish? I wish that people that have nothing intelligent to add to a thread about 1-on-1 pvp survivability and couldn't care less about the topic of the thread would find another thread to troll.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this whole argument is because of bad dps and the lack of individual skill

You might be right. That's your opinion. It's a bad opinion, full of misinformation, but you can have that opinion if you like.

As far as individual skill goes, I may not be a pvp deity and I may not have the gear that gives me a stat advantage, but I can hold my own and I do expect my chosen class to at least be competitive to a point against something that is not a burst dps class. There are videos all over the pvp forums of 4k crits coming out of players - I don't expect my hot to get me through that.

Sawbones is not a dps class, no where near it. Two of our high damage skills don't even fire in pvp, we are prevented from using them.

Kolpher, I've just watched a 10 minute 'pvp video stream' of yours to get an idea of these 'skills' I don't have. I watched you flirt, insult, chat, and enter one warzone, only to spam Underworld Medicine while no-one attacked you. I can't really take you seriously after that.

Edited by Ellandess

Seriously, 1-on-1 pvp for a sawbones is not about using the right skill or having the right talent, it's about whether you proc UH or not in the first 3 seconds of a fight.

Or you could just Blaster Whip and get a free charge?

Since ever? Read the tool tip on Upper hand.

Now there's a worthwhile post. I just learned something, thank you for that. Also granted by Shoot First now that I've read it again. That's something. Thanks again.

So providing we either have stealth and get Shoot First off or it's a melee opponent that we can hit with Blaster Whip - we get an Upper Hand. Then all we have to do is wait til our health is below 30% and spam Emergency Medpac as others suggest. Epic.

Although I've just learned something beneficial, it doesn't really fix the problem does it?

So actually, the ideal rotation for sawbones in 1-on-1 pvp is Shoot First or Blaster Whip to proc Upper Hand, wait til you're less than 30% health, spam Emergency Medpac, if you go over 30% health and lose Upper Hand, use Blaster Whip again - repeat. I realise I'm being flippant now, but apart from your suggestion, most other contributors to this thread seem to think Emergency Medpac is the answer to our 1-on-1 pvp capabilities.

Edited by Ellandess

You should be using Sab Charge, it has some pretty insane damage(I've had up to 3k crits). The normal burst rotation I do if the situation calls for it is Dirty Kick > Sab > Charged Blast > Blaster Whip/Quickshot depending on the range. If your UW is ever cancelled because you failed to juke an interrupt(Understandable considering the animation lag in this game) use the upperhand for a Kolto pack. Edited by Penttt

You should be using Sab Charge, it has some pretty insane damage(I've had up to 3k crits). The normal burst rotation I do if the situation calls for it is Dirty Kick > Sab > Charged Blast > Blaster Whip/Quickshot depending on the range. If your UW is ever cancelled because you failed to juke an interrupt(Understandable considering the animation lag in this game) use the upperhand for a Kolto pack.

I have tried this rotation but have found it's far too easy to counter with any break free/CC rotation at all leaving you without Upper Hand and without any hots up at all.

What typically comes next then is a break free of your own, you bubble, apply hots and a recovery heal. If you get those interrupted with any CC (which of course you will because as I mentioned at the start of the thread - your break free gives no immunity, resolve is broken and every class has more than 2 interrupts) you'll be face down in the dirt with your butt in the air like a bicycle park before you can say, 'stack endurance'.

Don't get me wrong, I change my approach depending what class/experience I am up against and I try to have several options open to me at any given point in a 1-on-1 fight. The problem comes back to the fact that we are moderately squishy with armour, there are so many interrupts flying around, break free gives no immunity, dodge doesn't last 3 seconds (ever), resolve is broken, two of our damage skills cannot be used in pvp and our only decent heals are 2 seconds easily interrupted. Put this all together and we're too easy to beat 1-on-1 for any class with a player behind it that can think.

Edited by Ellandess

I have tried this rotation but have found it's far too easy to counter with any break free/CC rotation at all leaving you without Upper Hand and without any hots up at all.

What typically comes next then is a break free of your own, you bubble, apply hots and a recovery heal. If you get those interrupted with any CC (which of course you will because as I mentioned at the start of the thread - your break free gives no immunity, resolve is broken and every class has more than 2 interrupts) you'll be face down in the dirt with your butt in the air like a bicycle park before you can say, 'stack endurance'.

Don't get me wrong, I change my approach depending what class/experience I am up against and I try to have several options open to me at any given point in a 1-on-1 fight. The problem comes back to the fact that we are moderately squishy with armour, there are so many interrupts flying around, break free gives no immunity, dodge doesn't last 3 seconds (ever), resolve is broken, two of our damage skills cannot be used in pvp and our only decent heals are 2 seconds easily interrupted. Put this all together and we're too easy to beat 1-on-1 for any class with a player behind it that can think.

I think you have more than enough abilities and talents that people have already described to make you extremely successful in any 1 on 1 situation. I think your timing is just..well...bad.

This post is without merit. I'll base it of my spec and I'm specced for the most part as a pvp glass cannon. If I posted this as a glass cannon + med pack the survivability goes through the bleeding roof.

Talents:

scar tissue: 4% across the board damage reduction

exploratory surgery: underworld medicine base cast time is 2 secs + free grant upper hand

brawlers grit: 6% endurance boost

flee the scene: 2 min cool down on dissapearing act + 50% movement haste

surprise comeback: 2% heal every 3 seconds

stopping power: root 2 sec

Play Ability

-Stealth: You pick and choose your fights. If you are an idiot and go after a group of 4 players with only one other person helping you then you deserve to die. You go after people lagging behind the group by a good distance.

-CC: You have Dirty Kick, Flash Bang Grenade, K.O. (if you were smart enough to take this talent), Disappearing Act to regrant K.O. in combat, Tendon Blast to snare and root if talented

-Defense: Dodge, Defense Screen

-Cowardice: The smart players know when to run, find a wall and drop two heals and get back into the fight. You know, Scoundrels can do that, not all classes can.

This post is without merit. I'll base it of my spec and I'm specced for the most part as a pvp glass cannon. If I posted this as a glass cannon + med pack the survivability goes through the bleeding roof.

Talents:

scar tissue: 4% across the board damage reduction

exploratory surgery: underworld medicine base cast time is 2 secs + free grant upper hand

brawlers grit: 6% endurance boost

flee the scene: 2 min cool down on dissapearing act + 50% movement haste

surprise comeback: 2% heal every 3 seconds

stopping power: root 2 sec

Play Ability

-Stealth: You pick and choose your fights. If you are an idiot and go after a group of 4 players with only one other person helping you then you deserve to die. You go after people lagging behind the group by a good distance.

-CC: You have Dirty Kick, Flash Bang Grenade, K.O. (if you were smart enough to take this talent), Disappearing Act to regrant K.O. in combat, Tendon Blast to snare and root if talented

-Defense: Dodge, Defense Screen

-Cowardice: The smart players know when to run, find a wall and drop two heals and get back into the fight. You know, Scoundrels can do that, not all classes can.

er..whta spec has all of that and is still a sawbones spec?

You have 2 shields, one on a short cooldown...yes one minute is short 1v1. you have two instacast hots one of which has a chance to proc upperhand and unlock 2x 1k plus heals. You have snare, mez, stuns. You have disappearing act if it all goes wrong.

Also Um should be around a 1.7 sec cast with decent alacrity and just the 2 set piece bonus increases your insta heals.

If you are still struggling after all of that there is nothing more to suggest your experience does not stack up with mine.

not sure how you cant use dirty kick to get off 1 heal to regain upper hand if they use their cc break use flash grenade if you get low spam emergency med pack if u get above 30 percent and run out of upper hand then just pistol whip again to get it back if u spec into dirty kick u can kick every 30 secs and it gives u a speed boost. if you are in a panic situation use ur cc break and use your stealth overload from there u can tranq shot and should be able to line of sight and heal up. or if their cc break is down just heal up in their face and laugh. i think if u keep calm and level headed you can figure a way to beat every class 1v1 if you learn how they work and predict how they are gonna use thier abilities in relation to yours and just out play them. yes these strategies are different if your in a group fight but i belive u mentioned not being able to take any class 1v1. on the other hand reading how you have a ridiculous responce to counter everyone who tries to give u a legitimate out tells me that you are either ignorant and cannot learn or you are trolling. either way take it or leave it

Importantly and on top of that, two key damage skills don't even work in pvp and two of our CC's completely fill the resolve bar, mitigating all other CC against your opponent for a while.

all classes have those "instakill" skills which works only on easy mobs but wont work on bosses and pvp.

while its annoying that bw clutter our skillbars with non useable skills this is a non-issue, you cant use the skill on them but they cant use it on you.

You also have no visibility outside america.

That vid pumps me up...lol I'm at work right now watching it...makes me want to go home hop on my comp go to hoth and find someone to battle 1 v 1 =)

So I have read through the whole thread and I tend to agree somewhat with the op. I'm open to any pvp suggestions 1 v 1 because I like the op have a tough time without a tank. Although right now I have gone exclusively up the sawbones tree, barely at lvl 41. I'm obviously very valuable when grouped with my guild but 1 v 1 I really need some suggestions in how to win some battles. Like I sad though with the build I have now should I just be patient and wait for lvl 50 or respec now and pick up some scrapper dps?? I'm new to playing mmos so I'm sure there's a learning curve to this as well

That vid pumps me up...lol I'm at work right now watching it...makes me want to go home hop on my comp go to hoth and find someone to battle 1 v 1 =)

So I have read through the whole thread and I tend to agree somewhat with the op. I'm open to any pvp suggestions 1 v 1 because I like the op have a tough time without a tank. Although right now I have gone exclusively up the sawbones tree, barely at lvl 41. I'm obviously very valuable when grouped with my guild but 1 v 1 I really need some suggestions in how to win some battles. Like I sad though with the build I have now should I just be patient and wait for lvl 50 or respec now and pick up some scrapper dps?? I'm new to playing mmos so I'm sure there's a learning curve to this as well

You need to evaluate your healing/play style. Hybrid is very difficult. You have 2 resources (UH and Energy), and you have to balance those out enough to both stay alive and put out a strong enough offense.

Before you respec, do a couple WZ's with your current full Sawbones spec. Evaluate your usage and reliance on abilities you'd potentially be giving up for Scrapper abilities. Also evaluate whether or not you're comfortable enough with your healing abilities to combine them with offensive abilities.

If you don't do that, you're going to go from a good group asset to a fumbling piece of cannon fodder, bringing free kills to the other team.