The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Star Wars Galaxies: "Ahead of its Time"

Iknar

SWTOR: Wanna do a war zone or an instance?

SWG: Wanna go bounty hunt Jedi, kill kryat dragons, find an awesome spot to place these harvesters, unlock a holocron, go destroy rebel PvP bases, build an entire city of houses with economy taxes guild hall and strategic housing placement for PvP tactical advantage, drop swordsman and pick up architect (or one of 36 other professions), Duel Jedi from opposing factions and slay them to gain rank up the Jedi council, Start a vendor in my house with custom items that nobody else in the galaxy sells, camp the acklay spawn, or be anything you want to be with almost no limitations.

Anyone who played SWG pre update before Sony sent the game into a downward spiraling apocalypse knows that this game had some of the best features to hit the MMO scene of all time. While SWG had its flaws like any other game Sony managed to keep us inthralled by the sheer openness of the game. 36 professions? Yes 36 different professions that your character could set out to master from the start of the game. The weapons and armor in the game were all one of a kind, no items had the exact same stats unless made by the same crafter with the exact same materials. This set your character apart from everyone else in the galaxy by weilding a weapon with "unknown power" as you slayed your foes in battle. One of the greatest features SWG managed to nail on the head was their player city's and town government system. Making your own house come to life with furniture, vendors, and having rare items hanging on your walls gave your character a home and a meeting place to gather with your friends before setting out on the days journey to slay the mighty Kryat Dragons of Tatooine. These are just a few nimble recants of the glory days in the original SWG.

Before you go off on me saying what does this have to do with TOR? Or why don't you go play SWG if you liked it so much? The point I would like to make is why arnt we seeing these types of features in MMO's anymore? Every MMO that has been released recently has been a cookie cutter World of Warcraft play it safe to make money Video game. I quit WoW a Long time ago and while I remain loyal to TOR in hopes that the current gameplay experience will improve, I still remain blown away by the fact that none of these developers are stealing ideas from the amazing open world feel that SWG used. All I can say is I hope that one day a developer will share the same feelings that I do towards the current MMO standards. Thanks for taking the time to read my 2 sense on why SWG was "Ahead of its Time."

Edited by Iknar

SWTOR: Wanna do a war zone or an instance?

SWG: Wanna go bounty hunt Jedi, kill kryat dragons, find an awesome spot to place these harvesters, unlock a holocron, go destroy rebel PvP bases, build an entire city of houses with economy taxes guild hall and strategic housing placement for PvP tactical advantage, drop swordsman and pick up architect (or one of 36 other professions), Duel Jedi from opposing factions and slay them to gain rank up the Jedi council.,Start a vendor in my house with custom items that nobody else in the galaxy sells, camp the acklay spawn, be anything you want to be with almost no limitations.

Anyone who played SWG pre update before Sony sent the game into a downward spiraling apocalypse knows that this game had some of the best features to hit the MMO scene of all time. While SWG had its flaws like any other game Sony managed to keep us inthralled by the sheer openness of the game. 36 professions? Yes 36 different professions that your character could set out to master from the start of the game. The weapons and armor in the game were all one of a kind, no items had the exact same stats unless made by the same crafter with the exact same materials. This set your character apart from everyone else in the galaxy by weilding a weapon with "unknown power" as you slayed your foes in battle. One of the greatest features SWG managed to nail on the head was their player city's and town government system. Making your own house come to life with furniture, vendors, and having rare items hanging on your walls gave your character a home and a meeting place to gather with your friends before setting out on the days journey to slay the mighty Kryat Dragons of Tatooine. These are just a few nimble recants of the glory days in the original SWG.

Before you go off on me saying what does this have to do with TOR? Or why don't you go play SWG if you liked it so much? The point I would like to make is why arnt we seeing these types of features in MMO's anymore? Every MMO that has been released recently has been a cookie cutter World of Warcraft play it safe to make money Video game. I quit WoW a Long time ago and while I remain loyal to TOR in hopes that the current gamay experience will improve, I still remain blown away by the fact that none of these developers are stealing ideas from the amazing open world feel that SWG used. All I can say is I hope that one day a developer will share the same feelings that I do towards the current MMO standards. Thanks for taking the time to read my 2 sense on why SWG was "Ahead of its Time."

Go play SWGEMU.

Very few people here are interested in SWG.

As an old (Pre CU PRE NGE) SWG vet i argee 100% with you.Sadly however SWTOR was never gonna be and will never be SWG 2.

and remember that SWTOR didnt kill SWG.....SOE did

Edited by windzro

I like TOR, but SWG had more of a star wars feel as you didn't have to be a fighter, you could be a crafter, dancer, or a musician.

I disagree. TOR lets you play the game as a hero, as if you're one of the stars of a Star Wars movie.

SWG let you be Sy Snootles or Uncle Owen.

Compare screentime given to Sy Snootles vs. screentime given to, say, Lando.

I get that a lot of people LIKE what SWG was doing. But it did not have "more" of a Star Wars feel by letting you be a dancer in a cantina.

I agree that SWG was ahead of its time. Sandboxes are the future. Somebody just has to get the formula right, and you'll never see another themepark game.

WoW has 10 million subs right now

SWG had, at its peak, what, 500k? 1 million?

Just because you like a sandbox MMO doesn't make it sell

Sub numbers show that players enjoy a structured mmo more

If you want multiplayer sandbox, play minecraft. That game is leagues ahead of any garbage that a dev is gonna put in a box and call sandbox mmo

Edited by CupieFoxtail

i read and agree with everything.

except for the NGE hate, you haters are wearing the most rose coloured glasses ever made.

i don't wanna say it was ahead of it's time, but the pissing and moaning of the NGE haters and the lack of advertisement was the death of the game.

OP is spot on.

Problem is once the Fisher Price WoW model became prevalent and profitable, the rest is history.

The type of players WoW attracted simply cannot deal with 36 profs, battle fatigue, wounds, proper crafting/surveying, proper social profs, actual player housing and player created cities / politics and the like.

They simply want to /faceroll and post how leet they are.

The other problem is, too many MMORPG players today have never experienced anything other than said Fisher Price model which means my dream of the design philosophy going full circle is looking slim.

That makes me a sad panda...

Just not quite as sad as the ones in WoW lolz....

That said I am having a blast laying TOR and will certainly sub for the forseeable future :)

Driz

Edited by ImperialSun

What I loved about SWG is that I could progress without combat.

I played for years and I never took a combat profession. I loved crafting and making items for others, and designing player homes for people.

Sure the game had flaws and broken stuff, but it was loads of fun.

Problem is once the Fisher Price WoW model became prevalent and profitable, the rest is history.

World of Warcraft was Everquest for Dummies. The model pre-dates both WoW and SWG. And was very profitable. And has been defining the MMORPG genre for quite some time. Attempts to break that mold have not exactly been successful, be it SWG or Shadowbane.

Apple/Oranges

I appreciate both games for what they excelled in.

TOR- Great Story, Fleshed out Characters all with voice-acting, fast-paced action that feels more like an action game than turn-based queing of abilities and seemlessly blends some of the best elements of conventional MMO's and Mass Effect.

SWG- Pretty much do whatever the heck you wanted with hardly any structure whatsoever and gameplay experience was only limited to the player's imagination and ambitions.

Respectively, ToR can feel all too linear at times whereas SWG more than half the planets were devoid of players and often left a feeling of isolation when out questing or gathering resources and micromanaging cities, housing and harvestors could get to be a bit tedious.