Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Top 10 criticisms of SW:TOR with responses

Samaul

To elaborate more on what I said, When WoW released a new expac, no matter how bad it was (wrath, cata) it gets perfect scores.

Ask any WoW player and they prob would say that wrath and cata were horrible expac, and not to mention cata was rehashed dungeons/raids from like 5 years ago.

I quite enjoyed WotLK. Cataclysm wasn't as good, but I particularly liked the changes and rework they did to the original zones. I would describe both as far from horrible.

I guess you're wrong about what "any WoW player" would say. I wonder what else you're wrong about.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite enjoyed WotLK. Cataclysm wasn't as good, but I particularly liked the changes and rework they did to the original zones. I would describe both as far from horrible.

I guess you're wrong about what "any WoW player" would say. I wonder what else you're wrong about.

Guess your a fanboy then right? as per your other post?

3. No open world. I dont like exhaustion or boundaries.

> Its a big galaxy, did you expect to be able to ride a speeder from one planet to another? Exhaustion and boundaries are part of every MMORPG including WoW. No game world goes on forever.

You were doing fine right up until you erected this straw man argument. Your response to this is absurd and insulting. No one is asking to be able to ride their speeders from planet to planet.

It is not unreasonable to ask for the ability to ride a speeder across the deserts of Tatooine without running into arbitrary exhaustion zones. And before you say it can't be done, understand that it was done and rather well in Star Wars Galaxies.

Perhaps you'd like to think up a more appropriate response to criticism #3?

its an ok game. I have nothing better to play atm so ill see how it pans out. I agree with most points you made, maybe not the wet dream thing.

Also, bioware is not "bug-stomping" at all. There are many major bugs that were reported the FIRST day of beta and made it to launch.

-Ability Delay

-FPS issues (maybe not a bug but im sure they can do something)

-Abilities not working properly

-Classes NOT 100% mirrored (Operative has 60 sec CD, scoundrel has 90 sec../ trooper full auto dosent work if dmg is taken, but bounty hunters unload does full dmg not matter what/ death from above is instant, while troopers mortar volley dosent do dmg until halfway through and final shot is a FULL second AFTER the channel ends....../ inquistors do instant dmg while sages cast take a second to do dmg)

Post is getting too long ill stop for now

Not going to answer my post huh? Makes sense because you are a fanboy and all right?

Now, Cata was a horrible expac, the worst I have ever played in WoW, tons of people seem to agree, the type of people who made WoW drop 2.5 million subs.

Comparing SWTOR to WoW and EQ is like comparing a broken down ford focus to a Ferrari.

SWTOR is more comparable to a game like Rift.

Funny, because WoW is copying EXACTLY one of Rift's warfronts (black garden). There was a post on the Rift forums making fun of Blizzard about it. WoW has also copied some of Rift's raid boss mechanics. My point is, WoW copies stuff just as much as people claim everyone else copies WoW. The problem is the WoW fanbois don't realize this because they have never played other games. They think everything Blizzard does happens in vacuum and is 100% original.

I played Rift pretty much since it came out and continued until SWTOR came out. I can say there is no comparison in how much better SWTOR is. Rift is like every other MMO -- a boring *** questing grind that means nothing. Wall of text quests that nobody reads and nobody cares about. I still to this day do not know what the story behind Rift even is. The only thing to do at 50, like in every other game, is to sit in the home capital on your mount trolling 50 chat. The only reason I hung around Rift as long as I did was because:

A) Nothing else out at the time

B) The warfronts were fun, so I got my PvP gear to max level. Also, since the world is so small (it is like a spec compared to the size of SWTOR), it was easy to find guardians to kill in the open world.

But as for the PvE content, I hated it. I did like one dungeon the whole 6 months I played the game.

Basically Rift is nothing compared to SWTOR, at least from a PvE perspective. So saying SWTOR deserves to be ranked right beside it is stupid.

Guess your a fanboy then right? as per your other post?

I guess you missed the part where I said "Cataclysm wasn't as good"...

A fanboy couldn't fathom a concept like this. I'd rate Cataclysm as 'fairly good'. Fanboys like yourself can't manage ratings below 'Second Coming' or 'Better than how I imagine it would be if a girl ever talked to me.'

I can come up with a list of things that I like and what I don't like in a game. No game is perfect, no game is without flaws. Only raving fanboys would come up with lists of 'the only possible criticism of my favorite game of all time ever' and act like it's simply heresy to even suggest that this criticism could be accurate.

There are things I like about this game, and there are things I don't. That's what separates the objective gamers from the fanboys like you.

Calling me a fanboy because I disagree with you?

While fanboys do make the worst spokesmen for games, who is NOT a fanboy? If I like a game and you dont, I am a fanboy?

Logical isnt it?

I'm calling you a fanboy because you can't objectively look at a game without seeing it in terms of absolutes. It's either the best game in the universe without any flaws, or it's horrible garbage.

Fortunately, most people are NOT fanboys. If everyone was as mouth-foaming and raving as some of the people in this thread... God help us all.

1. Bad or cartoon-y looking graphics.

> Its called stylized graphics. SW:TOR's graphics are not designed to be photo-realistic so that they will not look dated in a year or two. If you want photo-realism, play BF3 (great game EA).

2. Linear storyline.

> SW:TOR is a story-line driven game. All MMORPGs with experienced-based character leveling are by nature linear to some extent. SW:TOR is unique in that at each step in the storyline, you can make decisions from multiple paths that will affect the destiny of your character.

3. No open world. I dont like exhaustion or boundaries.

> Its a big galaxy, did you expect to be able to ride a speeder from one planet to another? Exhaustion and boundaries are part of every MMORPG including WoW. No game world goes on forever.

4. No dungeon finder.

> Type /who and hit enter. You can find people who are LFG and in the zone where you are questing or doing heroics. Dungeon finders, especially x-server destroy MMO communities and distort character progression by removing players from the flow of the game and rewarding bad behavior. Server communities are self policing, if you behave badly, you will be removed from your flashpoint or heroic group and likely remembered so be a team player and help your group.

5. No x-server warzone finder.

> Just click the Republic or Empire button and wait, you can queue with a group from your guild or server. See #4 for x-server issues and their effect on server communities. If you want a mindless, anonymous pvp grind, SW:TOR is not the game for you.

6. No flying mounts.

> You have your own space ship, you can go anywhere in the galaxy in an instant. What more do you want?

7. Companion crafting and gathering.

> You have more than one of your own personal valet, bodygaurd, cyber-@#$ toy, servant or slave. Yes, you have to equip it and give it gifts. What more do you want?

8. SW:TOR is boring, cut scenes and voice acting are time consuming and a waste of time.

> Voice acting and cut scenes are a key part of the game. If you have MMORPG ADHD, try ritalin. If that doesnt work, SW:TOR is not the game for you. Group or social gameplay is strongly encouraged. If you dont play well with others, there are some parts of the game that you will not experience.

9. SW:TOR is not a true MMORPG.

> By whose standard? It may not be the MMORPG you are used to but SW:TOR is definitely an MMO-ROLE-PG. Take it from a role-player, SW:TOR is a role-players wet dream.

10. SW:TOR is buggy.

> More than 3 years and hundreds of millions of dollars in development. Take it from a software developer, software development is an imperfect process. BioWare does it better than most. Given the size and scope of SW:TOR, the game is remarkably stable and bug free. If you find a bug, report it. Remember that THE LACK OF A FEATURE THAT YOU WANT IS NOT A BUG. BioWare's programmers are bug-stomping as you read this.

Total :ph_win: sir! Thank you for this post :)

2. Linear storyline.

> SW:TOR is a story-line driven game. All MMORPGs with experienced-based character leveling are by nature linear to some extent. SW:TOR is unique in that at each step in the storyline, you can make decisions from multiple paths that will affect the destiny of your character.

I wish this was the case but none of it makes any difference.

All that really happens is you get an e-mail from someone who thanks you. And on the 3 occassions it might make a slight difference it is almost certainly not in any meaningful way. In one case in the SW story I can think of getting help makes the fight harder cause rather than two rounds it turns into a free for all.

I can't think of any choices that change anything even where it makes no sense the story follows a set line. I don't know what happened to meeting the Captins widow at a later date.

I have no idea why people leave games. Maybe it's because they don't like it. Maybe there's other games they want to play.

This is what Wikipedia has to say about it:

"Since May 2011, the number of players playing had decreased by 10% from 11.4 million to 10.3 million. Blizzard's CEO Mike Morhaime said that the reason was probably due to a drop-off in the Eastern markets."

So it's not 2.5 million that have stopped. (Perhaps you should stop making up numbers, eh?)

And according to Blizzard, who has a much better grasp on the numbers than you do, it's primarily one market that is dropping off.

I know personally 5 people with WoW accounts, and none of them have cancelled. So I can't say why people that I don't know are cancelling. If I knew any of them, I could ask them, but I can't. Sorry. You'll just have to accept Mr. Morhaime's explanation for lack of a better one.

Edited by Meluna

I have no idea why people leave games. Maybe it's because they don't like it. Maybe there's other games they want to play.

This is what Wikipedia has to say about it:

"Since May 2011, the number of players playing had decreased by 10% from 11.4 million to 10.3 million. Blizzard's CEO Mike Morhaime said that the reason was probably due to a drop-off in the Eastern markets."

So it's not 2.5 million that have stopped. (Perhaps you should stop making up numbers, eh?)

And according to Blizzard, who has a much better grasp on the numbers than you do, it's primarily one market that is dropping off.

I know personally 5 people with WoW accounts, and none of them have cancelled. So I can't say why people that I don't know are cancelling. If I knew any of them, I could ask them, but I can't. Sorry. You'll just have to accept Mr. Morhaime's explanation for lack of a better one.

>.< Fanboy more? Go look, they announced 12 million subs. Easy to google search there buddy, keyword, "SINCE MAY 2011"

Edited by darthdoll

>.< Fanboy more? Go look, they announced 12 million subs. Easy to google search there buddy, keyword, "SINCE MAY 2011"

You're accusing Wikipedia of being a fanboy? I'm confused.'

Is this confusing you? In May 2011, the numbers of subscriptions started decreasing.

How is this difficult?

You're accusing Wikipedia of being a fanboy? I'm confused.'

Is this confusing you? In May 2011, the numbers of subscriptions started decreasing.

How is this difficult?

If you knew anything about legit websites, you would know not to get your information from wikipedia.

BTW, this is excluding the loss of subs when cata was released, which is what you keep neglecting.

Edited by darthdoll

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/11/08/activision-blizzard-loses-1-1-million-wow-players-triples-profi/

This is where the article quoted their info. I don't see you quoting your sources at all.

Why do you only quote the top part?

Like I have said before, this excludes the Cata drops, "The company reports that subscriptions have dropped from 11.4 million in May to 11.1 million in June to 10.3 million, representing a loss of 10% of the playerbase."

Does not mention anything before may.

But since you still cannot see, Im going to go play TOR while you sit and ponder.

If you knew anything about legit websites, you would know not to get your information from wikipedia.

BTW, this is excluding the loss of subs when cata was released, which is what you keep neglecting.

I don't even know what you're arguing about anymore. You keep deleting and editing your posts, and changing your mind... I thought you were going to go play with your favorite best friend/game.

I never claimed to be an expert on WoW subscription numbers; you asked why people quit, and I posted something I found on the subject. If you want to keep being a raving fanboy and argue just to argue, then have at it. I'm tired of it. Come back when you have something constructive to say.

Also, my wife feels sorry for you.

ROFLMAO

Never played WoW in my life. I have played this game for 12 days now and have not been in a single party with another person. if that aint single player i dont know what is.

I came from DDO online, very niche MMO but an MMO that is all about grouping to do quests.

I am not flaming anyone just stating my opinion, so no need for you to jump on me and act all abusive.

Ent

My experience with tor is different. I run the daily FP every day without worry, allways have a group in under 10 mins.

I party for each and every heroic on every planet all the tiime.

I do not understand how you havnt partied once in 12 days???

Dont worry though, its people like you that dont go out of their way to make a party that i dont want to party with anyway. Look at wows lfd, all the people that normally wouldnt of put parties together are all flocking into the lfd autoqueue system and what a shammbling mess that is, those pll dont even know how to play their toons half the time.

My experience with tor is different. I run the daily FP every day without worry, allways have a group in under 10 mins.

I party for each and every heroic on every planet all the tiime.

I do not understand how you havnt partied once in 12 days???

Dont worry though, its people like you that dont go out of their way to make a party that i dont want to party with anyway. Look at wows lfd, all the people that normally wouldnt of put parties together are all flocking into the lfd autoqueue system and what a shammbling mess that is, those pll dont even know how to play their toons half the time.

/agreed

My experience with TOR has been very good for the most part. I had one CTD today.

Calling me a fanboy because I disagree with you?

While fanboys do make the worst spokesmen for games, who is NOT a fanboy? If I like a game and you dont, I am a fanboy?

Logical isnt it?

No, you are a "fanboy" because you take any criticism of the game as a personal affront and respond like someone *****-slapped your mother.

I like this game, in concept - but even I am able to recognize that it is far from perfect and that it has some serious issues.

Edited by Rasstavad

1. Bad or cartoon-y looking graphics.

4. No dungeon finder.

> Type /who and hit enter. You can find people who are LFG and in the zone where you are questing or doing heroics. Dungeon finders, especially x-server destroy MMO communities and distort character progression by removing players from the flow of the game and rewarding bad behavior. Server communities are self policing, if you behave badly, you will be removed from your flashpoint or heroic group and likely remembered so be a team player and help your group.

Removing players from the flow? What flow? Care to explain? If by that you mean cleaning up general chat of LFG then I would say that HELPS with this so-called 'flow' of yours.

Rewarding bad behavior? I dont even know what bad behavior has got to do with no LFD tool. You mean classes rolling need for items that doesnt belong to that class? Why hello apparently the game next door has already implemented that system successfully! Why not just copy them?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.