The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why is this claimed to be not a real mmo?

Kedeli

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain to me the main reasons for this?

Sour grapes from players who bought the game and didn't like it, or bought the game and it didn't act just like their favorite game, or bought the game thinking it would be X, but not Y.

It's really just a cry for attention, since it hinges on an argument based on semantics.

There are some who think a game has to adhere to certain gameplay mechanics to be an MMO, when, in fact, the "MMO" part has little to nothing to do with gameplay and is about the delivery mechanism for the game.

The three most common misplaced "requirements" for an MMO are, from my experience:

1. forced grouping to do anything of note

2. be a sandbox MMO

3. endgame revolving around large-scale raiding

they probably say it because it's not their type of game. the cinematics that always come out before games release (they call them "trailers") always hype up the game, then when it comes out and it looks nothing like the "trailers" there is rage, disappointment, and hatred, causing people to lash out. in the strictest sense, yes, it is an MMO. is it a great game? no. was it what i expected, no, but i did not hold my breath for it to be so, since most popular MMO's are modeled after WoW, because they are made for the casual player and those that say it's not an MMO say so because they are hardcore players (those that need a real challenge in the game, which I can only think of one game that has ever been like that. but I do enjoy playing this game, because it gives me a chance to play a star wars MMO again.

It's mostly instanced, maps are not together, you barely see players. It's an single player game with a chat room.

You want planets to be attached to each other? You say you barely see other players, which implies you do see other players sometimes, yet its SINGLE player?

*** you guys reach so hard for stuff, its almost like everyone is a shadysketchy alt.

It's mostly instanced, maps are not together, you barely see players. It's an single player game with a chat room.

This is the real reason. Ridiculous amount of instancing and almost no player interaction on a server that at times has a queue to enter. Essentially every planet is a quest hub. The game's quest hubs are loaded separately from one another. Extreme lack of seamless-ness. GW felt more MMO than this.

The "maps are not together" whine is amazing. If any of you whiners out there can tall me a good way that you walk through a door on planet A and come out on planet B... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd GO!

People complain because when they are low levels, the maps have phases where people are capped in instances. So its like games such as maple story.

However, people nerd rage and quit before they reach the actually world zones, where there is no instance phasing.

Once you go past level 30+ just full of win world pvp.

Its a shame we don't get anything out of doing world pvp :/

in wow you only really see people in major cities and because of phasing you might be in an entirely different instance of the same exact zome as somebody else all because you completed a few quests, does this make wow a single player game with a chat room too?

From what I can tell from those who say this game is not an MMO, it's the shard aspect of the game. The fact that it is not a seamless, or near seamless world, seems to be the deciding factor for some people.

For me, MMORPG does not imply seamless world, it implies a game that is MASSIVE (I.E. lots of different places to go), is MULITIPLAYER (like those groups I'm always in, the people I see running around), and naturally it's ONLINE (since that would be the only way to see other people in my game.)

As for the RPG part... lets face it. No MMO has done the RPG part as good as SWTOR. It is ACTUALLY an RPG.

So while people may say that this game isn't an MMO, I believe they are being biased in their perspective. From where I'm sitting, it's an MMO they don't like. For me, I'll gladly have MMO that has all the good things of an SPRPG. I've played Mass Effect (1/2), Skyrim, Dragon's Age (1/2, Bioware, your barely forgiven for two), The Witcher, and yes, even Two Worlds, amongst others. I play them for the stories, as much as for the leveling.

I also LOVE MMO mechanics. From EQ to WoW, CoH to DCUO, and many between, I love the genre. I play them for the social aspect, rarely for the stories. As much as I try to enjoy them (avid reader here) they are normally disjointed, mangled affairs where each major quest hub feels seperate from the last. The fact that Bioware merged the two didn't take away from either for me. It merely added two sums to create a greater whole. MMORPG + SPRPG = SWTOR. IMHO, greater than the sum of its parts.

For an "MMO" essentially released in 2012, it is missing the most basic modern MMO features.

1) UI functionality alone is evidence that this game was designed from the ground up as a single player game.

2) AH functionality feels tacked on. Hence the bad search.

3) LFG system is completely useless, can't search globally for people who are LFG? This day and age? Really?

4) Character / Race customization not even close to any other MMO, another indicator this game was originally intended to be single player.

5) No Macros, Hell even FFXI back in 2002 had them. Simple ones like /cast "spell" "target" would go a long way

6) No combat log, not important for a single player game, but damn needed in MMO's

7) Mods like DPS meters, again indication of single player design.

8) Raid frames borked, won't always update correctly, can't see debuffs at all.

9) Focus window randomly disappears.

10) Massive bugs in Flashpoints, see: chest loot, boss resets, boss invincible. But minor bugs in single player campaign, shows where all the effort in programming went.

11) Look at dungeons and raids in every other MMO, they are a part of the world, you travel distances to reach them, they are apart of the landscape and fit the overall theme of the area. Flashpoints in this game, you "teleport" to them from a central hub, teleport back. If that's not an indication that they're tacked on last minute I don't know what is.

I could go on, but I don't have all year. Every single point is a clear indication that this game was designed from the ground up as a single player game, and then EA came along and said "hey! MMO's make money, turn it into an MMO".

It's mostly instanced

The only thing instanced in the open world are the character progression quests (and even then you can bring a party along if you want to).

Like most other modern MMO's, dungeons, raids, and PvP warzones are instanced. How is that any different from X,Y,Z MMO? How is it any different from WoW? Please explain.

You have to go back pretty far to find an MMO that isn't instanced at all. And it took weeks to just do a raid since everyone was fighting over the boss. etc. To some people that might be fun, I dunno. But no modern MMO, afaik, does that anymore. Every major MMO out right now is instanced. Your argument is silly.

maps are not together

What does that even mean? Most of the planets are absolutely huge. One planet in this game can compete with entire world maps in some other MMO's as far as size.

you barely see players.

A few reasons:

1) The vast majority of people are still low level, so if you're like me and above level 40, you simply wont see many people.

2) The planets are huge. This might be the only negative I can think of as to having massive zones. Moreover, there are what 15 or 16 planets? Most MMO's have maybe 8-10 zones total and the zones are much smaller than here. Therefore, since everyone is packed in smaller zones, you see more people. Simple logic.

It's an single player game with a chat room.

Again, it's no different from most other modern MMO's. Your argument fails.

Im only lvl 37 and there certainly zero need to group at all at this point. End-game could be different but lvling to 37 doesnt require anyone. Especially with companions i think it adds to the SOLO nature of the game. Not sure how they can change this, hope they do.

Count how many times you have interacted with other people. For the vast majority of players, it is very few.

Quests are mostly solo, each planet has a few heroic quests lots of people skip and some classes can even solo those. Plus some of the quests involve instances which you cannot access unless you are on those quests.

Every area has multiple shards so while there might actually be a couple of hundred people on your planet, you will likely never see more than 6.

Crafting is all solo and the stuff you make is really not needed by anyone as players can just get better items by leveling up a couple of levels or quest rewards.

Space is all solo and takes you out of the game world totally. There is no real guild system or housing system, nobody really wants to go on your ship and stand around. There are no chat bubbles and most emotes do not work. The social hubs they thought would be active (fleet, cantina) are total ghost towns.

There is really nothing to do other than level up, which is a solo game.

Things change a bit once you get to level 50, but that is a pretty long haul just to get to some kind of consistent player interaction via the end game instances.

I guess you can PVP if you want, but even that is in an instance.

Its a good game, but it's not really a MMO.

Im only lvl 37 and there certainly zero need to group at all at this point. End-game could be different but lvling to 37 doesnt require anyone. Especially with companions i think it adds to the SOLO nature of the game. Not sure how they can change this, hope they do.

you must have skipped all the heroic missions and flashpoints then, good job soloing the single player stuff, bet that was hard.

For an "MMO" essentially released in 2012, it is missing the most basic modern MMO features.

1) UI functionality alone is evidence that this game was designed from the ground up as a single player game.

2) AH functionality feels tacked on. Hence the bad search.

3) LFG system is completely useless, can't search globally for people who are LFG? This day and age? Really?

4) Character / Race customization not even close to any other MMO, another indicator this game was originally intended to be single player.

5) No Macros, Hell even FFXI back in 2002 had them. Simple ones like /cast "spell" "target" would go a long way

6) No combat log, not important for a single player game, but damn needed in MMO's

7) Mods like DPS meters, again indication of single player design.

8) Raid frames borked, won't always update correctly, can't see debuffs at all.

9) Focus window randomly disappears.

10) Massive bugs in Flashpoints, see: chest loot, boss resets, boss invincible. But minor bugs in single player campaign, shows where all the effort in programming went.

11) Look at dungeons and raids in every other MMO, they are a part of the world, you travel distances to reach them, they are apart of the landscape and fit the overall theme of the area. Flashpoints in this game, you "teleport" to them from a central hub, teleport back. If that's not an indication that they're tacked on last minute I don't know what is.

I could go on, but I don't have all year. Every single point is a clear indication that this game was designed from the ground up as a single player game, and then EA came along and said "hey! MMO's make money, turn it into an MMO".

Because of course Bioware couldn't be trying to come up with their version of the MMO right? Just because it was not designed like how it is in WoW does not mean it was a last min design decision.