Why can't we skip the story?

Mymomisyours

I honestly don't really understand why an option to disable the cutscenes and make a general summary of the quest with your talk options available; isn't there. I mean I am one of a bit of others who mash the spacebar and click random speech options because honestly, I don't really care. My way that I desire to play the game goes as follows, Get the highest level the fastest, get the best gear, and own the kids. I really find little use of the story included...Please don't tell me to play WoW, because I already have owned all the kids in that, and I'm moving on :) Now I sound like a bit of an ***, but really, is there no way that people like myself that don't care much about the story have it take less in game time to move on with the quests...? I liked the accept quest thing in WoW that gave a short summary, which nobody ready anyways, but that plus the speech options available, in swtor! So the people who like the story, can enjoy the story, and the people who wanna plow through, get the best level an gear and own the kids, can own the kids?;)

I have an honest suggestion that would suit your gamestyle quite well, and that is to get eve online:D

Im quite sure you would rage for ages and then quit seeing as u wouldnt stand a chance there :tran_grin:

Edited by Armyofme

Actually, i apologise that was rather harsh of me, my point was meant to be, this game is about introducing story to an MMO, this is not the next-gen PvP game and many people come expecting that exact thing and then just scream WoW-clone /unsub, it annoys me alot to see that people come here, wanting to skip the story and all dialogue and just own n00bs and rush to 50, this is not the point of the game, not at all the point of the game, and by rushing you(PvPers in general, not you) create your own dilemma, what do you do at end game, then people come a long and say re-roll a character and don't want to, again missing the point of story in an MMO.

Sorry, but i had to point that out somewhere.

Actually, i apologise that was rather harsh of me, my point was meant to be, this game is about introducing story to an MMO, this is not the next-gen PvP game and many people come expecting that exact thing and then just scream WoW-clone /unsub, it annoys me alot to see that people come here, wanting to skip the story and all dialogue and just own n00bs and rush to 50, this is not the point of the game, not at all the point of the game, and by rushing you(PvPers in general, not you) create your own dilemma, what do you do at end game, then people come a long and say re-roll a character and don't want to, again missing the point of story in an MMO.

Sorry, but i had to point that out somewhere.

an MMO is not just about story you know

STWOR is sold around the rich detailed story.

Removed that and you have something that gets closer to wow.

If you DO want to play something like WoW, then why do you bother coming over to SWTOR?

I am sorry it ends always with that reply but, why do you go to Spain if you want to see the Tower of Pisa?

I've been playing since day 3 of the early access and, while half my time between now and then was spent working long hours, I'm only at level 32 and have not rolled any alts yet.

I am however loving the story for Sith Warriors and I haven't even finished Chapter 1 yet (but I think I'm close). I'm enjoying the planet stories and quest chains. This game is damn near perfect in the enjoyment area.

The story is what this game is all about. I even play on a PvP server (though I think I've seen a whole 5 republic players my entire experience so far).

Love. This. Game.

Edited by LexiCazam
Rude comments

> Mass Effect 3 introduces the ability to ignore story or combat

is this true? if so that would be crazy.

EDIT: i mean, if your skipping all the gameplay, your just watching a slightly interactive movie, and if you skip to combat aren't you just playing a ME2 map pack?

Edited by RobHouse

is this true? if so that would be crazy.

EDIT: i mean, if your skipping all the gameplay, your just watching a slightly interactive movie, and if you skip to combat aren't you just playing a ME2 map pack?

So far as I know, it is just multiple settings, like the difficulty, that change how conversations play out.

One is just like the old games, and one automatically selects a "stock" choice for each answer.

... Ugh, I *know* there is a third, but I can't think of it. :mad:

I think I understand where you are coming from. In an MMO often a bulk of players just want to get to the top level as soon as they can because normally that is where most of the really fun stuff happens. This is clearly a very different MMO as a lot more goes on at the lower levels and in the levelling process.

This isn't actually a bad idea what the OP is suggesting. SWTOR is an MMO and there are lots of different players out there who enjoy different things. I think it would be reasonable to have an option where you only needed to make the choices when accepting a quest or where the cut scenes are generally a lot shorter. One thing I actually really like about WoW is that you could go into a town and take every quest in seconds. On SWTOR it feels a lot longer and this can be awkward for some players. I personally find myself spamming the space bar in a lot of cut scenes because I really just do not care about the current story.

Totally see your point but I would point out if you really just want to grind WoW is more the MMO for you. This game has a lot more story to it than other MMOs but you can essentially skip over the cut scenes using the space bar.

So far as I know, it is just multiple settings, like the difficulty, that change how conversations play out.

One is just like the old games, and one automatically selects a "stock" choice for each answer.

... Ugh, I *know* there is a third, but I can't think of it. :mad:

The game Blade Runner from Westwood had really detailed dialogue choices, but by default, it would pick a random answer depending on the type of personality you choose, I hated that, and only found out after a few play through that you had to change from the settings menu, so you could give long detailed questions.

Because they dont' want it to be like other MMO's where people run up to a quest giver and just click ok to a wall of text. They put the time to do great dialogue and interesting stories. They want people to experience these. If you don't like it you can always leave. There are many other MMO's out there where u don't have to know any plot line whatsoever and just run around and kill ****.

But it should be, considering all MMOs are RPGs, and RPGs are all about the story...

As for ME3, as I recall there was a leaked screenshot of something like "Casual mode", "Shooter mode" and "RPG mode". If you wanted to play the actual game, you have to pick RPG mode as the others remove various things to make it easier for you to play through it.

As a developer, that implemented bazillion of cut-scenes and voice-overs to my game, I wouldn't allow players to skip them.

Hell, why play the game, that main selling point is voice-overs and story, when you are going to skip them?

It's like when the new MMO comes in, people are starting acting like there is no other game in the universe, and the new one must have every possible option ever implemented into any MMO game that ever existed.

> Mass Effect 3 introduces the ability to ignore story or combat

> people get pissed

> biodrones defend it to the death

> guy says he wants to skip cutscenes and story in Swotor

> either troll or child'

mass effect is a single player game and you still don't skip the story, you just have the choices made for you, to play through default setting ala gears of war.

calling everyone who disagrees with you and/or enjoys the features you don't - a biodrone -doesn't help your argument, in fact it shows that you don't have one and have to resort to insults.

@ OP - assuming that its not a troll post, you are playing the wrong game and next time you buy one, please read the description before you shell out your money. I suggest you try EvE or maybe Allods (and it pains me to send someone like you to that game as I actually like it, but notheless it may be a better fit)

I don't think TOR is for you. The main point of the game is the story. Take away the story and the game is an inferior WoW clone.

Just because you said it, doesn't make it true: You sound like a pretentious dick. Or in your words '***.' Don't use smilies, seriously, they're cute but it makes you sound passive aggressive.

But this is a rather poor attitude. All you care about is 'owning people'? More specifically 'those kids?' Just because this is a brand new mmo doesn't mean it's right for you. This is a story mmo. Perhaps you should try a different one. There are more out there besides WoW and TOR.

Not those cutscenes, the actual common ones throughout the game. And I'm sorry if you think I'm trolling because everybody likes to play the game differently and enjoy a different aspect :/

Which part of story driven game do you not understand?playing the way you want is fine, this is just not the game to rush level and pawn kids. Just not what it was made and marketed as......but GW2 awaits you soon

• 2 weeks later...
I honestly don't really understand why an option to disable the cutscenes and make a general summary of the quest with your talk options available; isn't there. I mean I am one of a bit of others who mash the spacebar and click random speech options because honestly, I don't really care. My way that I desire to play the game goes as follows, Get the highest level the fastest, get the best gear, and own the kids. I really find little use of the story included...Please don't tell me to play WoW, because I already have owned all the kids in that, and I'm moving on :) Now I sound like a bit of an ***, but really, is there no way that people like myself that don't care much about the story have it take less in game time to move on with the quests...? I liked the accept quest thing in WoW that gave a short summary, which nobody ready anyways, but that plus the speech options available, in swtor! So the people who like the story, can enjoy the story, and the people who wanna plow through, get the best level an gear and own the kids, can own the kids?;)

I agree with you. They want an mmo with a storyline? Fine, but at least give people an option to decide whether they want to read it or not. Too many impositions won't help people sticking around. There have been many people complaining about this; my guess, they will eventually add that option. Unhappy customers is never a good thing for business :)