Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

1 Day of Early Access... yay?

Jowy

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

It's come to my attention in a recent tweet by Mr. Stephen Reid, that those who pre-ordered in December or maybe even November are atm. looking at getting to early access one day before the launch.

I hope this is not the case. I purchased the game in early December with the understanding I could "possibly" play up to FIVE days early. Atleast the advertisement came across this way. "PREORDER - you may play up to FIVE days early".

If it was SWTORs intent to have me start playing on the 19th of December, as of the date I signed up, it should have read "you may play up to ONE day early".

In my opinion, ALL this could have been solved by setting the startup dates at the same time preorders where made.. and have this be known at the time a pre-order purchase was made. ex.

July pre-orders = 7 days early

Aug pre-orders = 6 days early

It is 2012 and mmo's have been around for quiet awhile. Preliminary studies should have been made in this regard before announcing pre-order/release dates. While I am not mad and do not expect to play for a couple more days, it is irritating to see how a game of this size is handled on opening days.

Either way, in a couple days this will all blow over. We know it. They know it.

in a recent tweet by Mr. Stephen Reid, that those who pre-ordered in December or maybe even November are atm. looking at getting to early access one day before the launch.

Source?

I've read the tweets and they arent saying that at all.

But maybe you have new infos.

Now when my friends first told me that illiteracy was a growing problem in this country....I did not believe them as everyone I know can read and comprehend what they read. But after reading all these posts since my last post, I now feel I have reason to believe my friends...its not hard to read an email or an "official" post by the crew behind swtor....but apparently a lot of people need to go back to school on this one. sorry all....this is just sad to me.

Hey guys,

It's come to my attention in a recent tweet by Mr. Stephen Reid, that those who pre-ordered in December or maybe even November are atm. looking at getting to early access one day before the launch.

If this is true, it will be the last thing I ever buy from BioWare. Between this, the grace period stuff, now people who ordered online are getting the game a day or two before the 20th (i have to go out for my copy), and how Origin went down today and I couldn't play BF3 because it requires Origin sign in, I think I'm done with all EA games in general.

This has been an incredible mess. I'm not dealing with these situations anymore, and will support developers who support us gamers. Bobby Kotick must be laughing like crazy reading the disaster that this situation has become. :(

Now when my friends first told me that illiteracy was a growing problem in this country....I did not believe them as everyone I know can read and comprehend what they read. But after reading all these posts since my last post, I now feel I have reason to believe my friends...its not hard to read an email or an "official" post by the crew behind swtor....but apparently a lot of people need to go back to school on this one. sorry all....this is just sad to me.

Sir, put the ellipses on the ground and put your hands up.

With that said, how could Origin advertise, on their site, I could have "up to 5 days advanced play"? When, in fact, the most I could ever get, if I ordered from Origin, is up to 4 days of advanced play.

Also, the question that needs to be asked is; if I ordered in December, and I did, did I EVER have the chance to have up to 5 days. If I never had a chance in hell, then it was false advertising.

In all likeliness no, you probibly didn't have a chance of getting 5 days of early access. I assume thats basically why they won't release information on how many people have been invited so far or how many are left ect. If they did it would be like admitting that it was never possible to get 'up to 5 days' if you pre-order in Dec. And I'm sure you you understand why they wouldn't want to admitt that.

If you pre-ordered in Dec/late Nov you have to decide if that 1 - 2 days of early access is worth the pre-order costs, personnally I'm not bothered by that. Its the crappy advertisement that annoys me. If they had adjusted it to state the amount of early access you'd likely get based on the amount of current pre-orders, none of these rage threads would have been created. Instead they stuck with the '5 days' as a sales ploy knowing full well the T & C's will cover any complaints.

*Sits back and waits for the inevitable BW fanboys to grab thier pitch forks*

Edited by LoneXS

everyone who says "this is what they said all along" should note that they didnt tell us how long we'd even get til a month ago. first they said pre-order for early access based on when you did it, then they said "it will not be weeks" a while later, then they said 5 days.

Not really enough to complain as much as people are but its a bunch of crap all the same.

and adding two extra days just made people excited to find out its "not for them unless they ordered the FIRST DAY"

Edited by luzzo

I haven't read any tweets where he said that we would only get 1 day? last tweet i saw was "First day of waves done... etc"

I think they are just egging us on, but I really would like to see BW say something about it. I'm guessing everyone other than forum mods are asleep though, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

What part of PRE ORDER AND GET "UP TO" 5 DAYS OF EARLY GAME ACCESS"do people not UNDERSTAND?

No where has BW EVER said that EVERYONE will get 5 days of EGA!

I posted about this literally 1 minute before you did >.>

Edited by luzzo

What part of PRE ORDER AND GET "UP TO" 5 DAYS OF EARLY GAME ACCESS"do people not UNDERSTAND?

No where has BW EVER said that EVERYONE will get 5 days of EGA!

THE PROBLEM IS THEY ADVERTISED UPTO 5 DAYS IN DECEMBER!!! THE CHANCE OF THAT HAPPENING WAS 0%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT LIKE SAYING IF THEY ADVERTISED TO YOU "UP TO 20 DAY EARLY ACCESS" BUT YOU ONLY HAD A CHANCE AT 3 DAYS!!! DO YOU SEE THE PROBLEM? PEOPLE IN DECEMBER NEVER EVER HAD A CHANCE AT 5 DAYS!

PS: I can type all caps too.

The game retails for $59.99. Assuming you still play the game, it was only a $5 deposit. You paid nothing for the in game goodies if you simply pre-ordered the normal edition.

Ooh. Didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up. Even a blowhard like me gets it wrong sometimes. :D

THE PROBLEM IS THEY ADVERTISED UPTO 5 DAYS IN DECEMBER!!! THE CHANCE OF THAT HAPPENING WAS 0%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT LIKE SAYING IF THEY ADVERTISED TO YOU "UP TO 20 DAY EARLY ACCESS" BUT YOU ONLY HAD A CHANCE AT 3 DAYS!!! DO YOU SEE THE PROBLEM? PEOPLE IN DECEMBER NEVER EVER HAD A CHANCE AT 5 DAYS!

That is covered in the " UP TO" part of the statement. Because when you clicked on the "pre order" page of the old forums they explained EVERYTHING, including the part where EGA was on a first come first serve basis depending on when you entered your pre order code. It is no ones fault but your own if you failed to read everything about the pre order program. This is exactly the reason why they say "make sure you read the fine print".

I believe you are wrong.

Bioware couldn't forsee how many pre-orders there will be. I believe that is the exact reason we got 7 days of early access instead of the original 5. Just way more pre-orders than they anticipated.

That is covered in the " UP TO" part of the statement. Because when you clicked on the "pre order" page of the old forums they explained EVERYTHING, including the part where EGA was on a first come first serve basis depending on when you entered your pre order code. It is no ones fault but your own if you failed to read everything about the pre order program. This is exactly the reason why they say "make sure you read the fine print".

You're missing the point.

In december, the "up to" doesn't exist because no one pre-ordering in december will get up to five days of early access. They will get 1, maybe 2. "Up to 2" would be realistic, "Up to 5" is false advertising at that point.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.