BioWare, your environmental designers deserve a raise

Telnik

Just take a look at Coruscant and Nar Shadaa, huge empty rooms/corridors everywhere.

Indeed. While some of the planets are nice to look at (occasionally), the entire game feels lifeless and dull.

Edited by brentonj

I like a lot about this game , but boy some of the enviroments are lifeless.

Coruscant, a trillion people, well by the looks, its more like 5,000. I can see why you don't put a lot(tTONS) running around, but at least the Space Port and the Senate building should be hopping. Nar Shaddaa same way.

Also the wildlife, needs to be a tad more mobile and the mobs, need some life.

Feel like I'm the only one moving.

Yes I know its a very Massive MMO, but come on, they can't squeeze a little more life out of the NPC's and fauna.

Just be glad when you get up in levels you get a speeder cause holy crap the planets are massive.

Oh, one more note, for Pete sake, put the Final Bonus stage in the same area as the rest of the quest. Thats a major fail. Hd all three stages in the same area, but here ya go here's that last stage, all the way across the map....

Edited by joefromfl

I like a lot about this game , but boy some of the enviroments are lifeless.

Coruscant, a trillion people, well by the looks, its more like 5,000. I can see why you don't put a lot(tTONS) running around, but at least the Space Port and the Senate building should be hopping. Nar Shaddaa same way.

Also the wildlife, needs to be a tad more mobile and the mobs, need some life.

Feel like I'm the only one moving.

Yes I know its a very Massive MMO, but come on, they can't squeeze a little more life out of the NPC's and fauna.

Just be glad when you get up in levels you get a speeder cause holy crap the planets are massive.

The planets are way too big, with little difference between them, absolutely almost no interaction outside of quests.

Ambience, Bioware....ambience. Let's hear some epic music a little more often....it's a major key to developing the immersion. Let's see crowded spaceports with the appropriate noise level. Let's see more movement/alien conversation in those areas. When fighting mobs, whether human, beast or alien, how about some grunts and groans, screams of agony or even a death gasp or two? If in the desert, then let's hear some wind. If on a forested planet, let's hear the screeches, growls, etc. of the indigenous animal life. Lack of all this makes for a very, very sterile environment in which interest will fade away very fast.

Damn that WoW scenery looked good. they really improved even more from when I last played.

Gonna have to buy 2 accounts and give that game a go. I do remember the environments feeling more alive.

Thnx OP!

Edited by Nicholes

Frankly, this game doesn't have "environments."

An environment implies that it's a geophysical area that you can explore and interact with.

This game doesn't have exploration or interaction. It's a series of hubs and corridors, supplemented by nicely painted and designed (aesthetic) set-pieces that you can look at. The "areas" (I will not call them environments or worlds) are so static and linear they may as well be paintings.

I've played wow from beta, and there is some serious cherry picking going on there, to the point where you discredit yourself. No WoW player that has a brain would ever make comparisons like this when you have areas like THE FREAKIN BARRENS or WESTFALL. Those entire zones are nothing but flat areas with pockets of trees.

And you clearly haven't done any of the republic quests on Taris. That whole planet is full of nooks and crannies. In fact, most planets are. Coruscant and Nar Shadaa are concrete jungles. There's no nature on those planets, so yes, they're going to look like an RNG dungeon.

However, when appropriate, I have found the environments to be quite impressive and expansive. I'm not going to give this game credit where it isn't due, but environment wise, to discredit TOR is nothing more than trolling.

Gee look, a troll thread, which all the other trolls cling onto like parasites.

I'll agree that I wish some of the environments had more "moving parts" so to speak. But, saying WoW's environments are better in the least is laughable. Each WoW zone is comprised of the same copied models over and over again to give the illusion of there being more. SWTOR's zones have unique areas, unique models, and are visually stunning and gorgeous. Every time I zoned into a new planet I was blown away by what it all looked like. And then I would think back to zoning into areas on WoW and just how awful it all was now that I had SWTOR.

All the people saying that SWTOR's planets are all the same are being totally ignorant. Only similarities I can possibly think of are the city planets. But every time I go to a different planet, I KNOW what planet I'm on because of how unique it is to the others.

Frankly, this game doesn't have "environments."

An environment implies that it's a geophysical area that you can explore and interact with.

This game doesn't have exploration or interaction. It's a series of hubs and corridors, supplemented by nicely painted and designed (aesthetic) set-pieces that you can look at. The "areas" (I will not call them environments or worlds) are so static and linear they may as well be paintings.

Actually the game does have quite a bit of exploration and interaction - especially for a new one. Players can explore mountainside cracks & crevaces, climb ridges, jump, tightrope, fall to their deaths, etc. Just ask anyone who has gone in serious search of datacrons. Characters just can't scale shear walls or cliffs - something WoW doesn't allow either. Dev has also been gradually opening up more paths to make free land travel even more pervasive.

Don't be fooled by the game's pop-up map or the UI's minimap. Just because what you see on them looks instanced doesn't mean the areas are instanced. If the map had a zoom out feature one would see this. All the map instancing does is autozoom into your immediate area then adds colored arrows and icons so players know where they need to go or where to find stuff. Except for class quest & heroics instances, moving through TOR's zones is as seamless as moving through zones in WoW.

Notice I said moving and not flying. If you're comparing SWTOR's exploration system to a game that has flying mounts then the comparison is invalid because TOR doesn't use flying mounts. If that's your point, then perhaps posting ideas in the suggestions thread would be a less acerbic approach.

Oh ... there isn't a city in WoW that can hold a candle to Nar Shaddaa. But that's just me.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Actually the game does have quite a bit of exploration and interaction - especially for a new one. Players can explore mountainside cracks & crevaces, climb ridges, jump, tightrope, fall to their deaths, etc. Just ask anyone who has gone in serious search of datacrons. Characters just can't scale shear walls or cliffs - something WoW doesn't even allow. Dev has also been gradually opening up more paths to make free land travel even more pervasive.

Don't be fooled by the game's pop-up map or the UI's minimap. Just because what you see on them looks instanced doesn't mean the areas are instanced. If the map had a zoom out feature one would see this. All the map instancing does is autozoom into your immediate area then adds colored arrows and icons so players know where they need to go or where to find stuff. Except for class quest & heroics instances, moving through TOR's zones is as seamless as moving through zones in WoW.

Notice I said moving and not flying. If you're comparing SWTOR's exploration system to a game that has flying mounts then the comparison is invalid because TOR doesn't use flying mounts. If that's your point, then perhaps posting ideas in the suggestions thread would be a less acerbic approach.

Oh ... there isn't a city in WoW that can hold a candle to Nar Shaddaa. But that's just me.

Well it did take blizzard forever to patch the whole wall walking thing. You could get into all sorts of nifty places such as underneath Orgrimmar or even on the cliffs. I used to snipe pvp enabled lowbies from up there on my hunter.

No comments from all the people that say the enviroment looks crap? :cool:

I'm a fan of this game. Obviously resubbed but even I have to admit those photos are NOT how I see them in game. Look at the grass and/or ground in some of the pics. No I don't give a s**t about WoW either but let's not use photos made for a magazine.

Specifically the Belsavis 01 photo. Looks like they did some serious touch up on it, look at the bottom right corner where the large grass textures are. Would've been better had someone taken in-game pics.

Edited by DigitalDreamz

I'm a fan of this game. Obviously resubbed but even I have to admit those photos are NOT how I see them in game. Look at the grass and/or ground in some of the pics. No I don't give a s**t about WoW either but let's not use photos made for a magazine.

Specifically the Belsavis 01 photo. Looks like they did some serious touch up on it, look at the bottom right corner where the large grass textures are. Would've been better had someone taken in-game pics.

Uhm, those are ingame screenshots taken by myself, there are more here if you dont believe me, I put them under the wallpaper section. I took the screenies without the UI (Alt-Z):

http://trinity-tor.enjin.com/gallery

Edited by Poin_Dex_Tenobi