Players BANNED for going to Ilum? Suggestions to Customer Service

Blackk

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you consider it to be exploiting (which in this case it most propably was) don't do it, even if it's a "designer flaw" it's still exploiting a broken mechanic/design, thus bannable offence.

No point in crying.

Just make sure the check the level of the mobs next time you arrive to a whole new planet, before you harvest anything or you may be an exploiting scumbag and not even know it.

I was a a sentinel in the MMO Asheron's Call. I had the ability to ban other players for violating the games code of conduct. I never banned anyone without giving them multiple chances to correct their behavior.

About 75% of the time I could go to the forums shortly after banning someone to find a post about how the mean old power tripping sentinel banned them for no reason at all.

make of that what you will.

Okay...that sounds like what Bioware would say...

Jeez Bioware...huge fan, but not anymore after all this crap going on.

First you don't fix our FPS issue, bugs, etc, patches are just stupid so far with nothing fixed and now this?

Game isn't OPEN WORLD, and NOW BIOWARE HAS JUST PROVED IT.

Sorry, not buying it. E-mails can be easily fabricated to fit a person's story, everyone should know this.

Edited by Kalshion

Hahahahaha, so going to a high level area and opening some chests makes you a bannable, exploiting scumbag.

Seriously ?!? This is so stupid I'm just speechless.

It doesn't matter if he was banned for wearing purple armor on a Friday he was warned by an admin not to do something and he did it anyway.

If this topic was "I was told by the admins not to go into a high level zone." Then there is some issue for debate. I don't really agree with that but I doubt we are getting the full story. He can disagree with that as much as he wants as long as he doesn't go on and ignore the warning like a fool.

But his story was "I was banned for going into a high level zone on a low level character." No he wasn't, he was banned because the admins warned him not to do something and he did it anyway. That is ALWAYS justified.

We know he glossed over a major detail like the fact he received a warning before his ban, so why would we give any credibility to anything else he says?

Edited by AndiusTheGreat

It doesn't matter if he was banned for wearing purple armor on a Friday he was warned by an admin not to do something and he did it anyway.

If this topic was "I was told by the admins not to go into a high level zone." Then there is some issue for debate. I don't really agree with that but I doubt we are getting the full story. He can disagree with that as much as he wants as long as he doesn't go on and ignore the warning like a fool.

But his story was "I was banned for going into a high level zone on a low level character." No he wasn't, he was banned because the admins warned him not to do something and he did it anyway. That is ALWAYS justified.

We know he glossed over a major detail like the fact he received a warning before his ban, so why would we give any credibility to anything else he says?

Seriously? I am incredibly shocked anyone would even try to defend this action, even moreso than I am shocked that BioWare did it. It's not as if he went into a bugged zone or some secret zone only for Admins. He went into a zone for players that was above his level, even if an Admin told him not to banning him for doing so is completely unreasonable. Banning people for exploration in an MMO is probably one of the most backwards things to ban someone for.

Thinking that it's false is one thing, and if you are just stating that then I apologize for my lack of reading comprehension.

Edited by Sgtcrispy

I don't believe EA has any jurisdiction over how BioWare polices the game.

So, what does EA have to do with anything how Bioware polices the game? They do publish the game...may have a role in a few decisions, but doubt they are willing to have some man power policing a game BW can do on their own.

EA *own* BioWare. They can tell them what to do all they want.

This reminds me of the person who got his DA2 access revoked because he posted something about EA being Satan or whatever. DA2, the SINGLE PLAYER game!

So I suppose if I were an amazing player (much more amazing than I actually am) and I loaded up with stims and had twinked armor and used that to farm a champion elite way above my level, that would be considered exploiting and get me a ban. Wonderful.

So we can't farm nodes on Illum if we're low level. What about Belsavis, Quesh, or Taris? What's the arbitrary cut off for the zone a number of levels above your character you can farm nodes at?

"Play the game in exactly the order we want exactly how we want or you're banned." What a wonderful way to run a business BW.

In order for a low level to farm these nodes they have to do something that is bannable. Done. Next topic.

you've never carefully edged round mobs to get at a chest or node i suppose? not to mention nodes that are out in the open with no mobs near them.

Edited by Adryn

Seriously? I am incredibly shocked anyone would even try to defend this action, even moreso than I am shocked that BioWare did it. It's not as if he went into a bugged zone or some secret zone only for Admins. He went into a zone for players that was above his level, even if an Admin told him not to banning him for doing so is completely unreasonable. Banning people for exploration in an MMO is probably one of the most backwards things to ban someone for.

Thinking that it's false is one thing, and if you are just stating that then I apologize for my lack of reading comprehension.

My point is it doesn't matter how unreasonable the initial warning was. That is not why he was banned. He was banned because he ignored the warning. That is always justified 100% of the time.

A forum is an appropriate place to question why certain things are not allowed. Deciding you don't like the rules and so you will ignore them is not appropriate. People who do that NEED to be banned. The admins may have very good reasons for asking some pretty crazy things. If you question it on the forums they can respond and let you know why they asked it. You can then accept their reasoning or drop your sub and find another game. If you just ignore their warnings and continue your actions you may be causing problems.

Also remember its a ban not an account deletion.

Somebody thought they could question the admin's decision, pushed his luck, and got what he deserved. That's what I get from this topic.

If he is truthful about why he was warned, I think that is pretty crazy and Bioware should either lock the zone or remove the rule. But regardless if an admin asks me to do anything in game. I'll do it, or I'll drop my sub. I won't just ignore them, then blubber on the forums and feed people half-truths like a drama queen.

This kid's whole attitude reeks of a child who was never given boundaries or made to respect authority. I don't trust anything he says.

Edited by AndiusTheGreat

My point is it doesn't matter how unreasonable the initial warning was. That is not why he was banned. He was banned because he ignored the warning. That is always justified 100% of the time.

A forum is an appropriate place to question why certain things are not allowed. Deciding you don't like the rules and so you will ignore them is not appropriate. People who do that NEED to be banned. The admins may have very good reasons for asking some pretty crazy things. If you question it on the forums they can respond and let you know why they asked it. You can then accept their reasoning or drop your sub and find another game. If you just ignore their warnings and continue your actions you may be causing problems.

Also remember its a ban not an account deletion.

Somebody thought they could question the admin's decision, pushed his luck, and got what he deserved. That's what I get from this topic.

If he is truthful about why he was warned, I think that is pretty crazy and Bioware should either lock the zone or remove the rule. But regardless if an admin asks me to do anything in game. I'll do it, or I'll drop my sub. I won't just ignore them, then blubber on the forums and feed people half-truths like a drama queen.

No.

Slicing was clearly broken and could have been considered an exploit prior to its nerf. Does that mean BW should warn and then ban every player that continued to use Slicing? Nope. They fix it and move on. If they design a game poorly, they can't just say "Hey, don't do that or we will ban you".

No.

Slicing was clearly broken and could have been considered an exploit prior to its nerf. Does that mean BW should warn and then ban every player that continued to use Slicing? Nope. They fix it and move on. If they design a game poorly, they can't just say "Hey, don't do that or we will ban you".

That sounds good to say, but it's not practical. If they can't ban them for abusing something they have said not to do it leaves them two choices.

1) Allow them to continue abusing it until a fix is implemented, causing more and more damage to the economy or player balance.

2) Shut the servers down until a fix is implemented.

Do you like either of those?

No.

That would be ridiculous if they warned and banned everyone who used slicing before then but regardless if I got that warning then I would stop slicing and have 0 sympathy for those who got banned.

I would still be irritated at the fact they had slicing in game and we couldn't use it, but I would have no right to get upset at a ban if I ignored a warning.

Everyone playing this game signed an agreement. You have the right to shut up and do what the admins tell you. You have a right to be angry and voice that anger on this forums if you feel they are unjustified, but you do not have a right to just ignore what they say, and if you do, then you need to be banned. Every time. In every situation. Period. End of story. No if ands or buts about it.

How can you seriously take this guy's word knowing that he prettymuch lied to you when he made his initial post without mentioning he received a warning and even complained about not knowing it would get him banned.

For all we know he was running around behind a level 50 who did all the work for him stealing all the quest objectives and security chests, and got a warning because that would be harassment.

Edited by AndiusTheGreat

No.

Actually, they can. But only after they tell everyone that's what they're going to do. You either tell people not to do something until you fix the game so it prevents people from doing it, or you accept people are going to do it until you've fixed it.

If you take the first option you publicize the problem and people so inclined will do it to get an advantage. If you take the second option you just have to chalk it up as a lesson learned and accept people will gain a short term advantage from it (or long term, depending on how it turns out).

Warning people on a piecemeal basis is never going to work properly, because you'll miss people doing it; that just leads to one group of people saying "you can't do x because you'll get banned", another group going "I did x and didn't get banned", and most people going "what the hell is going on?"