Cap on DvL tokens prevents from looting season track rewards

VilianSW

If this is per design, it's forcing people to spend the surplus of tokens on stuff they already have just to get their season awards. Can't get level 37 rewards at all because one of those is the stupid token, so would need to spend a lot on useless items I have no interest in. Extremely bad design idea.

image.png

image.png

Edited by VilianSW

11 minutes ago, VilianSW said:

If this is per design, it's forcing people to spend the surplus of tokens on stuff they already have just to get their season awards. Can't get level 37 rewards at all because one of those is the stupid token, so would need to spend a lot on useless items I have no interest in. Extremely bad design idea.

image.png

image.png

Yeah. This is going to cause issues for a lot of people.  I think the only way to fix it would be to have two Claim buttons per level.  One for the top line and one for the bottom line.

• Thanks 1

Its nothing new. Tech fragments is the same way. Every time I get tech fragment rewards I have to use some on some useless things before I can claim the reward.

One claim button per line would be nice. For now I do it the same way as I do with tech fragments.

Buy something, despose of it untill i get under the limit, and then claim.

Since I dont need the tokens or the tech fragments, I see no reason to horde them

• Thanks 1

I have this problem every single time with those conquest comms. It would be better if they just mailed it to you, or allowed GS rewards to sit above the cap. (e.g 230/200)

Edited by Traceguy

2 hours ago, Gimpeline said:

Every time I get tech fragment rewards I have to use some on some useless things before I can claim the reward.

Still working on Alts for Legendary Implants.  There is also OEM/RPS for those still making gold augments.

You can also blow 10K frags on outfits at the droid where Kai used to be.

5 hours ago, VilianSW said:

image.png

image.png

This is so completely unnecessary and annoying to anyone who played regularly during 5.x or 6.x. 

Players from back then typically have, as far as I've heard in Discord, 100 of a given alignment of token, because it was so easy to earn LS or DS tokens passively for years. This matches my experience.

Every time you log into another character now, it adds an additional 100 LS or DS tokens above the legacy cap. 

What are we supposed to spend them on? I have the items worth getting on my characters. 

Now we have to spend and destroy enough items off the vendors just to claim what's in the season track?!

Who designed and implemented this?! We're going to have to do this for thousands of tokens, unless we just avoid logging into our characters. 

Edited by arunav
  • Thanks 1

I fully agree.  I started today with certain char, suddenly had 260 Light tokens (no idea from where).  Switching toons caused this to reach some whopping 400 tokens. Now, what on Earth am I supposed to buy with those?? I have everything I could possibly need/want and I cannot claim the GS reward due to 1 token.  Just ONE TOKEN.

Amazing idea, indeed! 

I suppose if I opened all of my toons, I may end up with more than a 1000 tokens and absolutely nothing to spend them on.

All that currency restrictions are completely nonsensical. 1100 tech frags, 1200 FP/WZ frags, etc, etc.  WHY, OMG ,WHY that nonsense exists even ???

It's not like people with these tokens would buy-out all the supplies dry from all existing vendors!

• Thanks 1

This has been a problem for years with all of the secondary currencies.  Raising all of those currency caps is long overdue. 

Unless they want to let us use things like Tech Fragments and Light Side/Dark Side Tokens to purchase "Catch-Ups" instead of forcing us to use either Cartel Coins or large amounts of Credits.... 😉

Edited by ReKabNad

1 hour ago, recalcitrantIre said:

its almost like currency caps exist to pressure you into spending the currency rather than mindlessly hoarding it

That's exactly what it is. They don't want people to have lots of these "legacy" currencies as a way to "level the playing field" for newer players (which they value much more than long term subscribers because the long term subscribers don't spend money on the Cartel Market since they already have stuff just like what is on the cartel market  - with almost all of it being reskins of older items). The tokens you get from the GS levels aren't worth spending your tokens on junk you already probably have (there's too few of them available in the GS level tracks). Tying them to other rewards that you can't claim  is intentional - to "increase the incentive" to spend down the tokens to get the other item.

The devs never make changes like this without thinking through the "consequences". All of it has a reason (sometimes with bad intentions, sometimes not). I expect that if this tactic doesn't draw out enough of the surplus tokens, they will just announce that the tokens are going to be retired (and a few month later introduce new tokens to replace them)

10 hours ago, Gimpeline said:

Its nothing new. Tech fragments is the same way. Every time I get tech fragment rewards I have to use some on some useless things before I can claim the reward.

One claim button per line would be nice. For now I do it the same way as I do with tech fragments.

Buy something, despose of it untill i get under the limit, and then claim.

Since I dont need the tokens or the tech fragments, I see no reason to horde them

With tech frag you can buy an rpm/oem and sell it on the gtn, and they sell around 15m each on SF. It's essentially free credits if you don't plan on crafting gold augs.

Not much you can do with L/D tokens *shrug*

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, recalcitrantIre said:

its almost like currency caps exist to pressure you into spending the currency rather than mindlessly hoarding it

We're not mindlessly hording tokens. The system the LS/DS tokens were created for was live for 6+ years, and the vendors were almost never updated - I think the 2 Arcaan customizations were added and, just recently, the 4 "new" launch armor sets. Of these, the Lightside ones are currently available as Fitted gear drops on the GTN (with the correct gloves I might add), and I'm fairly certain the Darkside ones can be crafted or are also Fitted armor sets available on the GTN. There was also an RNG gear upgrade crate added with 6.0 that cost 100 tokens, if I'm remembering correctly. 

Players bought what made sense for their characters during 5.x, 6.x, or even 7.x, and didn't have anything else to spend tokens on. Now, a problem exists where it's not possible to claim items from the Galactic Season track. 

This was a problem anticipated by Broadsword, since they encouraged spending tokens before the patch. But the developers chose not to implement a solution that addresses the problem all their longtime subscribers have to one degree or another - if a player has 10 or more characters, not uncommon for folks who enjoy SWTOR, there's a decent chance the person has tokens numbering in the thousands. 

In short, this isn't a problem resulting from player behavior. Tokens accumulated passively, and fairly quickly, to 100/100 per character during 5.x and 6.x, and folks already bought what they wanted from the vendors. 

Edited by arunav
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, eabevella said:

With tech frag you can buy an rpm/oem and sell it on the gtn, and they sell around 15m each on SF. It's essentially free credits if you don't plan on crafting gold augs.

Not much you can do with L/D tokens *shrug*

Then why horde them?

If you cant get anything from them, just waste them and move on

Since it sounds like they are worthless to you anyway, there is no reason to keep them

Edited by Gimpeline
  • Like 1

The solution would be to let us claim those GS token ignoring the cap (how many are there in total? 12? 16? It's not a game changer), but I'm afraid that makes too much sense and goes against the whole "thou shalt grind" theme of 7.x to be implemented.

• Thanks 1

Everyone was asking for this currency to be legacy bound, there was also concern of people losing their tokens they had for years because of the limit. They addressed both, legacy for all, and still keep what you already had stacked up to be used. Why do you all want to keep the tokens that you say are of no use to you confuses me.  That said, I do think there should be a button for free lane and another one for sub lane to claim because it would help with generally claiming other things.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gimpeline said:

Then why horde them?

Since it sounds like they are worthless to you anyway, there is no reason to keep them

45 minutes ago, Sonicphoto said:

Everyone was asking for this currency to be legacy bound, there was also concern of people losing their tokens they had for years because of the limit. They addressed both, legacy for all, and still keep what you already had stacked up to be used. Why do you all want to keep the tokens that you say are of no use to you confuses me.  That said, I do think there should be a button for free lane and another one for sub lane to claim because it would help with generally claiming other things.

Broadsword hasn't said what they plan to do with D/L bosses and the tokens in the future, but I think they will probably make them a permanent part of Bounty Broker week after season 7 ends. Over time, Broadsword will probably add more items to the D/L vendors. If players want to grab all the season rewards, they have to waste potentially a lot of tokens. later forcing them to grind a lot when new items are added to those vendors.

Edited by ThanderSnB

11 hours ago, Gimpeline said:

Then why horde them?

Because it's wasting my time.

If you don't care about tech frag, you can totally ignore them after the 10k cap except the annoying red warnings jumping out on your screen.

But if you don't care about the GS or DvL tokens, you can't ignore them because you literally can't collect the GS rewards.

I am sitting in my SH, minding my own business, collecting my rewards, and now because of this stupid "block", I have to go out of my SH, go to the the vendor, wasting my time on buying worthless things with worthless tokens.

Either:

1. Make it so that we can ignore the cap after a warning.

2. Raise the legacy cap to 1k or 10k, I don't care, just make it more difficult to cap.

Or both.

1 hour ago, eabevella said:

Because it's wasting my time.

If you don't care about tech frag, you can totally ignore them after the 10k cap except the annoying red warnings jumping out on your screen.

But if you don't care about the GS or DvL tokens, you can't ignore them because you literally can't collect the GS rewards.

No its the same. If you ignore the 10K cap on tech fragments, you cant collect the GS rewards.

9 hours ago, Gimpeline said:

No its the same. If you ignore the 10K cap on tech fragments, you cant collect the GS rewards.

which both are stupid that you can't except the rewards. If you don't care about the Tech frags or DvL, they should just be lost or not excepted from the track, while the other option is put into your inventory. Or as someone else said have 2 buttons to claim, 1 for each track.

• Like 2

The Dark and Light Venders have nothing of interest on them. Thats the reason no one ever used them. Here is an opportunity to Make the XP boosting armor great again. They could put it up on the venders With XP boosts till cap plus maybe a Dark Side boost and another Light Side boost armor set.  They could even put weapons with XP boosts on them! I have so many coins I got to spend on garbage.

11 hours ago, Gimpeline said:

Well, good to know since I never cap on TF.

Not that it makes the situation better, only worse because now we have 2 things that prevent people from getting GS rewards.

49 minutes ago, akdonkey said:

The Dark and Light Venders have nothing of interest on them. Thats the reason no one ever used them. Here is an opportunity to Make the XP boosting armor great again. They could put it up on the venders With XP boosts till cap plus maybe a Dark Side boost and another Light Side boost armor set.  They could even put weapons with XP boosts on them! I have so many coins I got to spend on garbage.

I remember there used to be 100 token for a crate or something. A XP boosting set sounds great.

Can't remember if we can still get titles from the Bonus Set but if we can, it would be nice to put them in the DvL vendors too since no one's wasting thousands of TF on those. Just put more things to the DvL vendors in general would be good, unless this event is a one time thing.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2024 at 5:04 PM, kgaydos said:

Still working on Alts for Legendary Implants.  There is also OEM/RPS for those still making gold augments.

You can also blow 10K frags on outfits at the droid where Kai used to be.

Original Equipment Manufacturer? Role Playing Systems?  What are you talking about?!?!? 🤨

Please don't ASSUME that everyone is going to know what your abbreviations or acronyms mean.  The Rules of Written English should still be used, i.e. ALWAYS write out the full word or phrase at least once BEFORE using the abbreviation/acronym, so people know what you're actually referring to!

New players join this game all the time.  Please think of the Padawans/Initiates! 😉

2 hours ago, ReKabNad said:

Original Equipment Manufacturer? Role Playing Systems?  What are you talking about?!?!? 🤨

Please don't ASSUME that everyone is going to know what your abbreviations or acronyms mean.  The Rules of Written English should still be used, i.e. ALWAYS write out the full word or phrase at least once BEFORE using the abbreviation/acronym, so people know what you're actually referring to!

New players join this game all the time.  Please think of the Padawans/Initiates! 😉

It's a forum discussion, not an essay.  

Anyone who knows what tech frags are, should have looked up what you can buy with them.  OEM/RPMs are just crafting materials.  I'm not even sure if those are acronyms, or their actual names.

I'm also not going to write out 'damage per second' every time I talk about dps either.  Acronyms exist and are a used so that you don't have to write things out in full all the time.

There's a list in the new player section of the more common SWTOR acronyms.  It's worth checking out.

On 9/10/2024 at 2:25 PM, Gimpeline said:

Tech fragments is the same way. Every time I get tech fragment rewards I have to use some on some useless things before I can claim the reward.

I can use 10s of thousands of tech fragments to buy Crafting materials for ilvl 300 augments. So they may be useless for you but definitely not for me.