Drop rate for Hidden Fishing achievement.

49 minutes ago, OutsiderJediSam said:

I have seen people in in game chat say that they caught the fish with just the blissful buff (good pie) and I also have seen people say they caught it with no buffs.  I think the buff thing is mistaken as well.  I still assume it has to be large circles though (altho tbh, IDK why)

Agreed, the buffs serve for the achievements tied to the buffs.  They don't have to be associated with anything else.

I'm somewhat of an achievo hunter too, and I absolutely agree, this is super annoying and frustrating since this is a time limited 1/yr event.

Also, I really liked this event initially, but with this stupid achievo, once I get it, I'm out it forever.  I've got literally everything else expect this, the story one (which should pop at some point this event when we get more missions) and the LS pet one (which is bugged.)  Once I have them all, bye bye Abundance Festival.  I really doubt this was the intended outcome from the devs, but I would bet I"m not the only person who has this feeling.

I'm currently at 0/68 on attempts at the voidfish (altho admittedly not all attempts have been solely for it with just large circles.)

I would Definitely say the Void fish is tied to the Large pools. It is the 4th Achievement listed in the row with catching 8 Satchels of the Barglechin fish which is specific to the Large pools.

As for the buffs, I'm not convinced they have anything to do with it, but as I said I had them when I got mine, but that could have been coincidence like the guide I was using was. If people are getting it with 1 or no buffs, to me that is more telling it is based on the pool size, not the buffs.

2 hours ago, OutsiderJediSam said:

I have seen people in in game chat say that they caught the fish with just the blissful buff (good pie) and I also have seen people say they caught it with no buffs.  I think the buff thing is mistaken as well.  I still assume it has to be large circles though (altho tbh, IDK why)

Agreed, the buffs serve for the achievements tied to the buffs.  They don't have to be associated with anything else.

I'm somewhat of an achievo hunter too, and I absolutely agree, this is super annoying and frustrating since this is a time limited 1/yr event.

Also, I really liked this event initially, but with this stupid achievo, once I get it, I'm out it forever.  I've got literally everything else expect this, the story one (which should pop at some point this event when we get more missions) and the LS pet one (which is bugged.)  Once I have them all, bye bye Abundance Festival.  I really doubt this was the intended outcome from the devs, but I would bet I"m not the only person who has this feeling.

I'm currently at 0/68 on attempts at the voidfish (altho admittedly not all attempts have been solely for it with just large circles.)

I am with you on the walking away from this event after the void fish. It's just been so time consuming.

I'll be honest and say that it's really not my thing but a lot of people seem to love and that's fine with me. My enjoyment has just been from popping achievements without looking for them. I put 16 toons through the grind last week and have all the decos, mounts and pets that I need. The armor is of little interest to me as I have far too much already.

I only found out about the void fish from people talking about it and I already had all the other available achievos. Now I am obsessed with getting it because I have put so much effort in. I must be well over a hundred attempts now (that's after the 30 or so that it took to get the other achievements before I found out about the void fish). I didn't bother counting these attempts since I could not comprehend that it could possibly take this long.

I mixed things up along the way experimenting with buffs, doing only medium circles, then small circles, mixing circles but mostly (80%) have focussed on the large ones. I think the reason for it being the large circles is they disappear the quickest and so are harder to catch than the small and medium.

As I mentioned in a previous post about the Zap Fish and Stop Fishing buttons being next to each other, I was trying to get two rounds in on a Blissful buff (it can happen on a rare occasion) and I was 14/15 large circles with 15 seconds left on buff timer when a large circle popped and frustratingly I clicked the Stop Fishing by mistake. 14/15 gone in a puff and go get a buff again. Knowing my luck the fish was in that haul. lol

21 minutes ago, GeneralRedvers said:

I am with you on the walking away from this event after the void fish. It's just been so time consuming.

I'll be honest and say that it's really not my thing but a lot of people seem to love and that's fine with me. My enjoyment has just been from popping achievements without looking for them. I put 16 toons through the grind last week and have all the decos, mounts and pets that I need. The armor is of little interest to me as I have far too much already.

I only found out about the void fish from people talking about it and I already had all the other available achievos. Now I am obsessed with getting it because I have put so much effort in. I must be well over a hundred attempts now (that's after the 30 or so that it took to get the other achievements before I found out about the void fish). I didn't bother counting these attempts since I could not comprehend that it could possibly take this long.

I mixed things up along the way experimenting with buffs, doing only medium circles, then small circles, mixing circles but mostly (80%) have focussed on the large ones. I think the reason for it being the large circles is they disappear the quickest and so are harder to catch than the small and medium.

As I mentioned in a previous post about the Zap Fish and Stop Fishing buttons being next to each other, I was trying to get two rounds in on a Blissful buff (it can happen on a rare occasion) and I was 14/15 large circles with 15 seconds left on buff timer when a large circle popped and frustratingly I clicked the Stop Fishing by mistake. 14/15 gone in a puff and go get a buff again. Knowing my luck the fish was in that haul. lol

You can hotkey your temporary ability bar. Just do the first 5 keys, and you'll never hit the one that has you stop fishing in the middle. When I do this I rebind temporarily 1-5 to the temporary bar. I rebind them to normal after.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Toraak said:

You can hotkey your temporary ability bar. Just do the first 5 keys, and you'll never hit the one that has you stop fishing in the middle. When I do this I rebind temporarily 1-5 to the temporary bar. I rebind them to normal after.

I don't know if you're already doing it, but you should should be able to save keybind configurations. So changing back and and forth is a lot easier then doing key-by-key each time.

Edited by Traceguy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Toraak said:

I had tried dragging and dropping to a QB but obviously did it wrong and assumed it wasn't possible. Thank you , I will do that.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Toraak said:

Yeah, I saved hotkeys where the arrow keys are bound to the temporary bar and Mouse Button 4 is for Zap Fish. Makes it a lot more intuitive to move around (up arrow to move up, down arrow to move down, etc.), and a simple mouse click to grab the fish. Still have to deal with the cooldown on movement though.

Edited by ThanderSnB

1 hour ago, Traceguy said:

I don't know if you're already doing it, but you should should be able to save keybind configurations. So changing back and and forth is a lot easier then doing key-by-key each time.

I don't want to mess with the loadouts for this. I won't put them on the board, it's not hard to just swap them in and out. Once the event is done, I won't need to really bother again.

15 hours ago, Toraak said:

I don't want to mess with the loadouts for this. I won't put them on the board, it's not hard to just swap them in and out. Once the event is done, I won't need to really bother again.

Not talking about loadouts. Talking about keybinds.

As such, I despise this type of achievement. Getting lucky is not an achievement.

However, I just got the Visitor from the Void achievement. It took roughly 50 attempts fishing only for the Void Drifter. I tried both with pie buffs and without. When I got it, I did not have any pie buffs and I fished only the large pools.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Naomori said:

As such, I despise this type of achievement. Getting lucky is not an achievement.

However, I just got the Visitor from the Void achievement. It took roughly 50 attempts fishing only for the Void Drifter. I tried both with pie buffs and without. When I got it, I did not have any pie buffs and I fished only the large pools.

Thank you for this confirmation. I suspected the pie buffs were not needed.

58 minutes ago, ThanderSnB said:

It could be that the Pie buffs aren't required but do increase the drop rate. For example, it could be 1% drop rate without the buffs or 10% drop rate with both buffs.

Where did the pie buff theory originate?

14 minutes ago, Traceguy said:

Where did the pie buff theory originate?

I don't know where it originated, but I read it in this guide from Today in Tor: https://todayintor.com/2024/05/31/swtor-dantooine-spring-event-achievement-guide/#visitor-from-the-void-secret-achievement It looks like he edited it (see red text) that the buffs aren't required.

I'm not sure where he got his info from. Maybe he just got both buffs and got the achievement shortly after and assumed the buffs were required. Or maybe he got it from an achievement hunters discord or a theorycrafting discord? Maybe it's something Creators got from the developers in their private discussion area. Sometimes Broadsword gives creators exclusive info. Creators may have asked about it, Broadsword hinted about the buffs being part of it, and players assumed they were required when the buffs actually just increase the drop rate but aren't required.

The numbers I put there are just put there as an example of one possibility. If someone wanted to collect a lot of data, it might be possible to get some drop rate numbers (compare with no buffs, with both buffs, with Good Pie buff, with Bad Pie buff), but it would be a lot of tedious work. For example, fish 1000 times with no buffs, then another 1000 times with the Good Pie buff only, and so on for the remaining two cases. Then you could see if the drop rate is changing based on the buffs.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Naomori said:

This. ^^ So much this.

They've done it before, so we shouldn't be surprised, but being lucky with RNG has nothing to do with achieving something, the devs are the only ones who don't get it. 

I didn't count how many times I did this fishing mission to get Void Drifter but it was a lot. However I'm still grinding to get the other ones, because they are also RNG and I have to say I'm pretty sick of having to reset the mission over and over again. I wouldn't mind doing it with more alts instead, but I don't want to drag all those alts through the story part first. 

• Like 1

Let me start by saying that I think this whole event is stupid and I agree with most of the sentiment here.  Every single thing that we're doing has been done by other games 5-10 years ago and most of them in a better and more compelling way...

But I'm just curious about all of you complaining about this achievement and RNG being a factor.  You don't think getting lucky with RNG is an achievement, but you do think using guides and looking up how to get achievements online and then blindly following them IS an achievement?  I think that's bullsh*t. 

This whole gamer attitude that has developed over the last decade that everyone deserves everything and they should be able to have it right now and be proud and feel accomplished about it... it's just not right and it's not how the real world works.  We are playing someone else's game, not the other way around... I'm sorry that all of you are spending so much time and wasting hours and hours trying for this.  It's not fun and it sucks.  But if you are reading this then you already know that.   Continuing to spend even more hours and hours and then continuing to b*tch about it is not a good use of anyone's time.  Especially your own. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PianoMatt said:

Let me start by saying that I think this whole event is stupid and I agree with most of the sentiment here.  Every single thing that we're doing has been done by other games 5-10 years ago and most of them in a better and more compelling way...

But I'm just curious about all of you complaining about this achievement and RNG being a factor.  You don't think getting lucky with RNG is an achievement, but you do think using guides and looking up how to get achievements online and then blindly following them IS an achievement?  I think that's bullsh*t. 

This whole gamer attitude that has developed over the last decade that everyone deserves everything and they should be able to have it right now and be proud and feel accomplished about it... it's just not right and it's not how the real world works.  We are playing someone else's game, not the other way around... I'm sorry that all of you are spending so much time and wasting hours and hours trying for this.  It's not fun and it sucks.  But if you are reading this then you already know that.   Continuing to spend even more hours and hours and then continuing to b*tch about it is not a good use of anyone's time.  Especially your own. 

There is a difference between feeling entitled to be given everything, and actually having and knowing how to reach a goal. If I know I can do a quest 25-50 times or run a FP (x) number of times I can willingly work towards it. However if something is just a Low % chance drop, then that doesn't feel satisfying whatsoever. Do you feel like your working towards a goal if your RNG sucks? No!! If people are using guides it's because we don't have the information needed to have an informed way of reaching (x) goal. Nothing wrong with that.

There are better ways to do achievements then low % RNG luck.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PianoMatt said:

wow you told us...you're convinced me to change my ways.....

I am trying to get the fish for more than 20 hours so far (just fishing for that fish). Tried different stuff (large circles, mixed, small, medium; with and without buffs). Today I tried it for around 6 hours just fishing large circles. I'm getting the blue box mostly.

It's just frustrating and really disappointed. Imo achievements stands for ingame activity and not for ingame RNG. 

• Like 1

vor 40 Minuten schrieb ESLZippi:

I am trying to get the fish for more than 20 hours so far (just fishing for that fish). Tried different stuff (large circles, mixed, small, medium; with and without buffs). Today I tried it for around 6 hours just fishing large circles. I'm getting the blue box mostly.

It's just frustrating and really disappointed. Imo achievements stands for ingame activity and not for ingame RNG. 

u need to buy one of the better fishingbaits xD 

It took me over an hour to get the last Toe Mangler doing nothing but small circles, resetting, starting over and so on. I got Void Drifter with much less effort.

RNG is not fun. Never was, never will be. 

15 hours ago, DeannaVoyager said:

It took me over an hour to get the last Toe Mangler doing nothing but small circles, resetting, starting over and so on. I got Void Drifter with much less effort.

RNG is not fun. Never was, never will be. 

It took me a while to get that one too. Then I got bored and starting fishing both small and medium circles and got it on the third try. It almost seemed like the drop rate was better when fishing more than one type of circle. Could be just luck though.