The role of GSF in Seasons.

I lke playing GSF. I am not particually great at it, but I enjoy playing.

What I dont enjoy are players turning up purely for the season objectives and parking themselves on one satellite for the entire game.

Games are now being decided purely by who has the least number season farmers on their team.

17 minutes ago, EASplunge said:

What I dont enjoy are players turning up purely for the season objectives and parking themselves on one satellite for the entire game.

Games are now being decided purely by who has the least number season farmers on their team.

If they actively defend the satellites while parking and are good at it, there is much more benefit from them than from someone who tries hard but is not good at it.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Anhkriva said:

If they actively defend the satellites while parking and are good at it, there is much more benefit from them than from someone who tries hard but is not good at it.

When 4-5 players from a team of 8 sit on 1 satellite, and the other team has 2 satellites then the game is over.

One team does not have the manpower to take a 2nd satellite and the other team will sit on 2 satellites winning the game.

Nothing changes hands, the game is effectively over in the first minute.

43 minutes ago, Anhkriva said:

I am most definitely the later.

14 hours ago, EASplunge said:

do you enjoy games, because without these goals GSF takes a lot longer to pop.

13 hours ago, EASplunge said:

When 4-5 players from a team of 8 sit on 1 satellite, and the other team has 2 satellites then the game is over.

One team does not have the manpower to take a 2nd satellite and the other team will sit on 2 satellites winning the game.

Nothing changes hands, the game is effectively over in the first minute.

the medal system for GSF needs reworked and that that conquest needs updated. I think you can get a max of 5 medals for damage 5 for guarding, not sure how many for a capture. Win or lose doesn't matter for that conquest so there is no point in leaving the satellite unless the person knows they can either capture another satellite or do the max amount of damage to replace the medals not guarding a satellite.

Edited by Darkestmonty

On 4/10/2024 at 1:26 PM, EASplunge said:

By the looks of it, majority of seasonal ppl  generally speaking give their best shot.  Ones who are more and less unattended at least contribute in making the matches happen. Arguably that can be the most important singular trait of anybody in GSF, heh. Like pile of 12 people who really like GSF won't see a match unless few more or less indifferent conq/season  farmers join the fray.

The "I'm semi afk!" crowd kinda serves the same role various  meh-tier NPC enemies sometimes have in a pvp setting. - They are a minor distraction destined to be quickly brushed aside as you rush towards the real fight, or real objective. Relevant variable and challenge they bring to match is " does it take 4 seconds from  you to kill them, or 6?"

I wish GSF got a seasonal progress reward track of its own, or at least got morphed as part of PvP season.

In general, Galactic Seasons have brought a pretty significant amount of new people to GSF. During S1 in particular, it was really nice hearing all these " I used to hate GSF, ended up trying it again cause of Seasons, figured it out and  turns out its pretty awesome!" -type of testimonials.

Edited by Stradlin
  • Like 2

On 4/11/2024 at 5:06 AM, Stradlin said:

I wish GSF got a seasonal progress reward track of its own, or at least got morphed as part of PvP season.

Once upon a time, there was talk about adding GSF to the PVP season somehow, but after 2 days, the devs backtracked that thought for "reasons".....

personally, i'd like to see it included in the pvp season as well.

i think they were probably afraid if it was added to the PVP season, more people would queue gsf instead and kill the pvp queue.

Edited by Chryptyk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chryptyk said:

Once upon a time, there was talk about adding GSF to the PVP season somehow, but after 2 days, the devs backtracked that thought for "reasons".....

personally, i'd like to see it included in the pvp season as well.

i think they were probably afraid if it was added to the PVP season, more people would queue gsf instead and kill the pvp queue.

Yeah. None of the reasons given made much sense for anyone familiar with GSF. I assume there was some unstated reason to kill feedback-brainstorming after two days. Was very sad.

Only part of this game made purely for pvp isn't part of pvp seasons. That's a punchline of a sad joke.

Edited by Stradlin

1 hour ago, Stradlin said:

Yeah. None of the reasons given made much sense for anyone familiar with GSF. I assume there was some unstated reason to kill feedback-brainstorming after two days. Was very sad.

Only part of this game made purely for pvp isn't part of pvp seasons. That's a punchline of a sad joke.

GSF being part of the PvP season would have highlighted a few issues with GSF.

GSF medal system has to be reworked. It's not even displayed for players to view for some reason.

The autokick system needs to be reworked so people contesting nodes and in combat aren't kicked.

Self Destruction in death matches would become an even larger issue as many would realize self destructing in GSF is going to take less time than playing most Warzone matches.

GSF is my favorite PvP in this game but I don't think it is ready to be included in PvP season which maybe the first introduction to GSF for a lot of people.

Edited by Darkestmonty

5 hours ago, Chryptyk said:

Just for reference & context, LINKS provided  below  for anyone interested...

4 hours ago, Stradlin said:

Yeah. None of the reasons given made much sense for anyone familiar with GSF. Was very sad.

They gaveth--> https://forums.swtor.com/topic/929314-pts-gsf-added-to-pvp-season-3-track/   ...and then they tooketh --> https://forums.swtor.com/topic/929314-pts-gsf-added-to-pvp-season-3-track/?do=findComment&comment=9757696

Since then,  utter *silence* from BioSword about it.

Ridiculous & disappointing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fatsi said:

I hope you are kidding. GSF almost never pops when there are no seasons objectives. So, this way, at least, you do get to play.

That depends on the server your on. SF, and DM it pops consistently.

26 minutes ago, Toraak said:

That depends on the server your on. SF, and DM it pops consistently.

Currently, a few weeks into a GS?

or "always" even when there are no GS participants queueing for GSF?

2 minutes ago, Darev said:

Currently, a few weeks into a GS?

or "always" even when there are no GS participants queueing for GSF?

SF and DM usually have solid GSF pops even when Seasons is not going. They just get faster (or multiple matches at the same time) when there is a Galactic Season objective.

Edited by Toraak

12 hours ago, Darkestmonty said:

GSF is my favorite PvP in this game but I don't think it is ready to be included in PvP season which maybe the first introduction to GSF for a lot of people.

As long as they choose right kind of objectives for it, there isn't a single issue with GSF that isn't present in ground based pvp just as well. In context of potential galactic season track I mean.

Game randomly losing all sound once every 10-15 matches or so  was the only truly serious bug  GSF ever had imo. It seems to me it got finally sorted back when SWTOR switched to 64 bit client. At least I don't recall encountering it ever since.

They def should finally fix the medal display. Good thing game clearly has no issue counting them right..Jus tthat they aren't shown to players.

Self Destruction in death matches would become an even larger issue as many would realize self destructing in GSF is going to take less time than playing most Warzone matches.

Somebody made a really good suggestion regarding this in some other thread:

Have self destructs remove a point from your own team, instead of giving a point to enemy team. That way, self destruct still hurts your own team but doesn't end the match any faster. This would completely remove any kind of benefit from self destructing.

Edited by Stradlin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Stradlin said:

As long as they choose right kind of objectives for it, there isn't a single issue with GSF that isn't present in ground based pvp just as well. In context of potential galactic season track I mean.

Game randomly losing all sound once every 10-15 matches or so  was the only truly serious bug  GSF ever had imo. It seems to me it got finally sorted back when SWTOR switched to 64 bit client. At least I don't recall encountering it ever since.

They def should finally fix the medal display. Good thing game clearly has no issue counting them right..Jus tthat they aren't shown to players.

Have self destructs remove a point from your own team, instead of giving a point to enemy team. That way, self destruct still hurts your own team but doesn't end the match any faster. This would completely remove any kind of benefit from self destructing.

self destructing removing a point from your team could work but won't change things and will be used to troll your team. It could also be used by players to keep extending the game if your team gets close to winning (think good pilots self destructing not wanting games to end).

Anyone who wants to end a game as quickly as possible will fly directly into the enemy and let themselves get killed.

If we want to eliminate self destructing or AFKing in warzones, change daily and weekly advancement from win and loss only to participation. If a player doesn't participate in a game because they are self destructing or AFKing (warzones) then they won't advance their dailies and weeklies.

If GSF was added PvP season the only goal self destructors would complete is finish X matches played. They wouldn't be able to finish medals earned or matches won if they self destructed the whole match.

Edited by Darkestmonty

22 minutes ago, Darkestmonty said:

self destructing removing a point from your team would just become a way to troll your team. Instead of self destructing to end the game people would use a scout ship (fastest ship) to run directly into the enemy and let themselves die.

This won't extend the game much either since there is an 11 second cool down if you die too quickly. So instead of using that 11 seconds waiting to respawn, players will use that 11 seconds to fly into the enemy die, then respawn nearly instantly.

Somekind of a version of this is available for every single form of pvp or multiplayer content in general. If you have a pool with 100 people, at least one is some sort of a disruptive troll almost inevitably. Notion that we'd have to close the pool because of that one guy is pretty sad and backwards imo.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Stradlin said:

While a nice idea, It's not exactly simple to implement. You would need to incorporate some sort of code that differentiates between a new player crashing due to inexperience and someone deliberately crashing. It would probably have to involve some sort of "crashes/minute" mechanic which would be easily circumvented by switching between crashing and not paying attention to the game. It wouldn't be fair to the team with inexperienced player(s) crashing to be penalized for that in addition to the loss of "uptime" it already causes.

Eliminating crash/destructions altogether, though not truly realistic, would be a simpler solution.

Edited by DWho
Fixed spelling error

On 4/13/2024 at 5:29 PM, DWho said:

While a nice idea, It's not exactly simple to implement. You would need to incorporate some sort of code that differentiates between a new player crashing due to inexperience and someone deliberately crashing. 

Why should it include such? its not like current system separates between accidental and intentional  crashes either, both punish the crashers team. Just that in current system, crash makes the match end faster. Take point away from green team instead of giving one to red, and it still hurts your team if you inentionally crash..or if you  make a mistake.. but that way, you can't..speedrun the game to ruin. 

Edited by Stradlin
  • Like 1

It's not just GS players. A lot of solo cq PVEers are doing (er, dying and hiding in) GSF to make up for the lost cq rep bonus. It's going to get a lot worse for both GSF and PVP because people doing crap they hate for a reward always destroys (devs don't seem to get this, but it is always true).

This is why I chose to unsub rather than to take my solo PVE butt into GSF and PVP. You guys deserve to have players in there who actually care and want to do it, not just sit there and die for cq or GS progression. I loathe and despise all PVP, including GSF, and will never ever  actually play it, so I'd do nothing but stand around and die for what I want (not GS this time since it's stupid, and I refuse to do it, but for cq.)  I'll quit first. I already have, actually.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stradlin said:

Why should it include such? its not like current system separates between accidental and intentional  crashes either, both punish the crashers team. Just that in current system, crash makes the match end faster. Take point away from green team instead of giving one to red, and it still hurts your team if you inentionally crash..or if you  make a mistake.. but that way, you can't..speedrun the game to ruin. 

if you die too quickly there is an 11 second respawn. My guess is you can only respawn every 15 seconds max. 4 seconds to load back in and die, 11 seconds to respawn.

If people want to end the games with -1 point to your team every self destruct instead of +1 point to the enemy team, people will instead fly straight into enemy gunfire to die. That 11 seconds waiting to respawn will now be used flying straight into the enemy gunfire.

Dying to an enemy may delay the death by 10 seconds at most if it takes an enemy a bit of time to realize that scout ship flew up to them and stopped moving.

Better solution than trying to make all these wild changes to code then adding more code to differentiate between veteran and new players is taking Win and Loss out of the equation for dailies and weeklies and making all PvP about performance and participation.

If a player suicides the whole game they won't advance their dailies or weeklies. If a player AFKs in the corner of a warzones the whole game they won't advance their dailies or weeklies.

It's not a perfect system but it is a system that already exists as we have these types of goals with Galactic Season and PvP Season.

Edited by Darkestmonty

On 4/13/2024 at 7:29 AM, DWho said:

You would need to incorporate some sort of code that differentiates between a new player crashing due to inexperience and someone deliberately crashing.

No such code  exists, nor will it ever exist for SWTOR, since 1's & 0's  cannot detect the depths of human momentary motivations. ( much less whether or not a player  crashed into an asteroid or  their cat just happened to walk across their keyboard )

Unless maybe both the game has access to player's computer-camerra and/or the player has  'Elon Musk  implant'  installed  :eek:

On 4/13/2024 at 12:51 AM, Nee-Elder said:

They gaveth--> https://forums.swtor.com/topic/929314-pts-gsf-added-to-pvp-season-3-track/   ...and then they tooketh --> https://forums.swtor.com/topic/929314-pts-gsf-added-to-pvp-season-3-track/?do=findComment&comment=9757696

Since then,  utter *silence* from BioSword about it.

Ridiculous & disappointing.

What a terrible take from Bryant. There is not a single activity in this game I dislike more than arenas but I don't cry for them to be removed from the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, juliushorst said:

What a terrible take from Bryant. There is not a single activity in this game I dislike more than arenas but I don't cry for them to be removed from the season.

Yeah none of the reasons Bryant Wood listed are easy to understand or accept for most people  familiar with GSF. IMHO GSF is by far the most balanced way to do PvP in TOR. GSF is the only part of the game designed for PvP from the ground up. Yet, it isn't part of pvp seasons.

These are the things Bryant listed after some two days of feedback gathering:

.. issues you’ve raised surrounding the current state of Galactic Starfighter such as the medals, objectives, skill gap, and bugs.

* Medals

Medals in GSF have no issues that wouldn't be a problem in  ground pvp just as well. Ie it is difficult to even see how much of an " issue" there is with medals, and how much of it is all about certain inevitable dysfucntionalities that always come with a pvp setting. Could medals in GSF be made better or more polished somehow? I guess?  But if ground pvp's medals are " good enough" for pvp seasons, then GSF should get a pass as well.

* Objectives

Team deathmatch as a setting  in GSF is very similar to Arenas in ground pvp. Where is the issue here, as an objective?

Huge portion  of ground pvp Warzones are basically similar to Satelite matches in GSF.  (capture and hold  an objective to win. There are three objectives. You really wanna have two)  Where is the issue here, as an objective? 

*Skill gap

There are people of different experience/skill level playing. I'm not sure how this is supposed to be an issue.

*Bugs

Only truly annoying, impactful  bug in GSF(sound bug)  seems to have gotten fixed way back when game changed to 64 bit. Deselect bug can be undone by players in 20 seconds. Somebody doing some nice,. casual 12 hour marathon of GSF will spend maybe 90 seconds undoing the annoyances of deselect bug. It is trivial. Beyond that, there's very few bugs in GSF and all of the rest  fall  to category of utterly trivial and obscure.

@BryantWood

It'd be nice to hear some update on this. GSF deserves some love. 

It was utterly brutal of you to shut down feedback regarding GSF for PvP  seasons after mere two days.Tons of people had lots to say about this, ideas and wishes. Most didn't even hear  you are gathering feedback before it was over and done.

Do you have any plans for GSF?

Edited by Stradlin
  • Like 2