Is being nice too hard for some?

YaddleTwo

I've noticed an uptick in people blatantly and purposefully being nasty to fellow players who might be reporting something wrong or asking for help and then someone else comes in sniping at them for no reason.  Calling them names (stupid/lazy/ect)

Really need this behavior to go away especially when the op's are never anything but pleasant

Devs is there something we can do about this?

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, TonyTricicolo said:

It stems from the protection of anonymity. Everyone's an E-tough guy when there is no repercussions. 

An unfortunate truth.  That's why I mostly lurk in the forums.

Posted (edited)

Yeah but also there's always a choice to be kind, or just not say anything at all

(i typed a few things here that would have made it clear which post it was over so i deleted it)

Maybe there should be repercussions then? Yes we can report posts but unless they are egregiously horrible they get ignored. I'm not saying we need to be super happy all the time, just, i don't know, maybe not call people names or yell at them that they are stupid for asking a question but if they do, and they get reported, and after a couple warnings perhaps that person gets put in a time out or limited posting or something?

Let people get warnings and maybe a chance to delete the post, it doesn't need to go from full freedom to banned forever, there's plenty of room in between.

Edited by YaddleTwo

1 hour ago, Jursy said:

An unfortunate truth.  That's why I mostly lurk in the forums.

Hey now, field and unpopular enough opinion on these forums and I promise,  it gets way more vicious than in game! At least this was the case around 2020 or thereabouts. Most of uglyness in fleet chat is just some derogatory buzzwords and name calling.  It can get worse on forums. "Holy sith lol, this person is done arguing me, or insulting me. Instead, he  seeks to cause as much damage to me as he possibly can in this rather limited setting. "< - - I bet I've landed on such realization  like 4-7 times in all my years of internet forum battlings. Two of those times been on these forums, which is a pretty good ratio really.

Edited by Stradlin

Are you talking in game??

Because lately, my experience has been the exact opposite...I mean if one or two douchenozzles are giving you a hard time just /ignore...but yeah the forums are a Toxic wasteland, I don't want to see anyone banned but if they are here just to bang on the game (which some of them have been doing daily for 12 fracking years) maybe forcing them to move on would be healthy for them in the long run...

As mentioned previously, anonymity. The repurcussions for poor behavior is usually a slap on the wrist, temporary or permanent ban, that's it. Before the internet was around, if people decided to act up, which rarely happened, it was handled outside, not hiding behind a keyboard. 

These forums or even in game, aren't bad at all. Check out the WoW forums, this is nothing.  If people can't handle what happens on the internet, you might want to consider not perusing forums or world/general chats at all, it's never going to change. It's mostly a parental issue in today's world and you're seeing first hand the lack of good parenting. 

On 3/19/2024 at 10:32 PM, YaddleTwo said:

I've noticed an uptick in people blatantly and purposefully being nasty to fellow players who might be reporting something wrong or asking for help and then someone else comes in sniping at them for no reason.  Calling them names (stupid/lazy/ect)

Really need this behavior to go away especially when the op's are never anything but pleasant

Devs is there something we can do about this?

There's nothing the devs can do about this because of free speech and freedom of association. Yes, there should be a line between freedom of speech and hate speech, but sometimes it is very difficult to implement. 

58 minutes ago, Hrafnhildur said:

There's nothing the devs can do about this because of free speech and freedom of association. Yes, there should be a line between freedom of speech and hate speech, but sometimes it is very difficult to implement. 

There should also be a line between hate speech and speech that upset us.

Being called a lazy person for not using the search option even though 15 people have already asked the same question and received an answer is the latter, being called an idiot is the former.

Duplicating topics instead of using the search function was a standard offense that resulted in a warning on almost every forum I used, along with swearing, racism, threats, discussing politics/religion and posting scam links.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hrafnhildur said:

Those rights don't apply to private entities.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pirana said:

Those rights don't apply to private entities.

Kinda a grey area when it comes to the internet, because pretty much every site is private. So essentially there would be no free speech on the internet at all.

16 minutes ago, Whykara said:

Kinda a grey area when it comes to the internet, because pretty much every site is private. So essentially there would be no free speech on the internet at all.

It's not a gray area, here or any other place that decides to enforce their own rules. Take Blizzard for example, now when you sign up, you have to check off a box. Take Twitter as another example from a few years ago when they removed a certain high profile person from their platform. The owner of the Cowboys who clearly stated, you sit during a specific time during the game, you're off the team, they all stood. There are plenty of examples, it's whether or not a company wants to enforce their rules or not.

19 hours ago, Hrafnhildur said:

Can you elaborate, please? I'm not sure i understand what are you talking about. 

See my previous reply. 

Edited by Pirana

On 3/29/2024 at 4:02 AM, Hrafnhildur said:

Not true.

The First Amendment only protects your speech from government censorship. It applies to federal, state, and local government actors. This is a broad category that includes not only lawmakers and elected officials, but also public schools and universities, courts, and police officers.  It does not include private citizens, businesses, and organizations.

• Like 1

^ The fact people don't know that, only displays what I already know about our current education system. People actually thinking they have free speech on a private entity is laughable. Has no one noticed the threads that have been removed over the years on this platform? Including one recently about people unsubscribing? The three no-no's, politics, sex and religion being against the rules? How limited on what you can show on Youtube, including what you post? FB as well?

Some of you thinking you actually have free speech in game or on the forums really need to educate yourself. The reason it's not enforced more in game should be obvious, but in case it's not, I'll point it out, there's too many people to watch over, so you have block and/or report functions in games. On the forums it's much easier to observe, peruse and remove threads as necessary. 

America is still one of the best country's in the world when it comes to free speech, but you signed up to this game and upon doing so, you agreed to terms. This sort of stuff really shouldn't have to be explained, but apparently when you have a bunch of armchair quarterbacks who weren't properly educated, someone has to set others straight. Read up on the Rules of Conduct if you still think you have anything close to free speech.

On the thread title itself, yeah, it's unfortunate that people behave the way they do, but when you have anonymity and the repercussions are typically a slap on the wrist, it's much harder for things to change. FF14 is a great example of, you get out of line in game or on their forums, you're gone. This forum is actually fairly lackadaisical when it comes to enforcing their rules and it's undoubtedly a staffing issue, but you can always test it by starting a thread about the three no-no's mentioned previously and see how far that gets you.  lol 

• Thanks 1

Players are unhappy, generally, I think. It's all part of a larger social issue, but as far as he game is concerned, people are allowed to be rude, so they are. When I see rudeness (usually when on the fleet), I address it by either answering the original question properly and/or by pointing out the rude person's senselessly rude response. We can fix it on our own, but that takes actually defending people being targeted. If you can't or won't do that, you are part of the problem.

1 hour ago, TahliahCOH said:

Players are unhappy, generally, I think. It's all part of a larger social issue, but as far as he game is concerned, people are allowed to be rude, so they are. When I see rudeness (usually when on the fleet), I address it by either answering the original question properly and/or by pointing out the rude person's senselessly rude response. We can fix it on our own, but that takes actually defending people being targeted. If you can't or won't do that, you are part of the problem.

Nah, people are not unhappy but elitist. Yesterday in KP HM my agent got mocked for her armor set ( Classic Spymaster) because .. " it is some silver sh*t".  What do you think about this? 

On 4/1/2024 at 2:52 AM, Hrafnhildur said:

Nah, people are not unhappy but elitist. Yesterday in KP HM my agent got mocked for her armor set ( Classic Spymaster) because .. " it is some silver sh*t".  What do you think about this? 

I think that's rude and disgusting and that you should ignore it. What kind of person mocks another player's armor? That's just . . . weird. They obviously have issues. I bet your agent looks amazing!

On 4/1/2024 at 3:52 AM, Hrafnhildur said:

That those players probably throw on an entire expensive cartel outfit, with no dyes, and without realizing that almost all cartel outfits have at least one, usually more, pieces that look ridiculous.

... although I'm wearing starter planet gear, low tier crafted, and several bronze/silver oufits on my toons.  Sure I have gold/platinum, but some of the bronze/silvers just plain look better.  Gold/Platinum will often clip like crazy sometimes, or dye horribly.