Snowballs

Sumugi

2 hours ago, MagesKickass said:

I love the snowballs and think they're fun and festive. I love playing with the various social toys in the game and when someone else uses them too. Sparkle powder, party bombs and instigators, holodancers, all of it. I think they should add MORE social features and toys to encourage player interaction. It's the whole reason to play a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER game!

It's not my reason for playing an MMO at all.  I don't care about cosmetic nonsense like party bombs.  That's not what 'player interaction' means to me.  To me that's just a person playing by themself with a flashy, attention-getting toy.

I play an MMO for things like chatting, group activities, guild fun, pvp, crafting and player trades. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, LD_Little_Dragon said:

It's not my reason for playing an MMO at all.  I don't care about cosmetic nonsense like party bombs.  That's not what 'player interaction' means to me.  To me that's just a person playing by themself with a flashy, attention-getting toy.

I play an MMO for things like chatting, group activities, guild fun, pvp, crafting and player trades. 

you have to accept that MMOs are designed for a "massive" amount of people, not just one person.

• Like 2

IMO ... it's all a part of the overall SWTOR Life Day FUN!

The celebrated day is not for everyone (cf. Ebenezer Scrooge).  

BTW... IIRC there use to be an icon included in the individual affects that you can right click on and the snowflake effects go away.   It's been a while since I've bothered to log in .... but I'm certain someone can verify that!

It should be noted that for those who hate this sort of camaraderie ...  I kind of feel sorry for ya!  To me (personally) life is entirely too short to not take a brake and just have some fun!  And ... yes in my younger years (age 60 or so) ... I still engaged those who were much younger than I in a snowball fight from time to time! 

😜

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Darkestmonty said:

you have to accept that MMOs are designed for a "massive" amount of people, not just one person.

lol obviously.

But MMOs aren't designed for  harassment.

All  some players ( in this thread and in-game ) are suggesting is a simple method by which to OPT-OUT  of  'snowball'   EFFECTS.

Sort of like an  add-ignore  for that specific  partical effect.

That way, the griefer gamers can still have their  umm  "earnest"  Life Day fun, while letting other less juvenile SWTOR people go about their own version of  fun uninterupted ( by having to right-click  constantly the icons off  bar ) .

What's so wrong with that?

p.s.  If  anyone thinks repeatedly hurling digital balls of a widely known derogatory word on the interwebs ( rhymes with  slowcakes )  which i'm not even allowed to type on these forums without getting  *warning*   is somehow now considered to be legit "MMO social interaction" , then i would suggest  online-obsessed Humans truly have become beyond the point of no return.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, VegaMist said:

And? If you can't tolerate normal person-to-person in-game interactions for a few minutes, than maybe you should have thought about it before joining an MMO. And yes, it's still voluntary. Visiting Hyde and Zeke isn't required - you can wait until the event is over if it bothers you so much. Or better, you could learn to deal with things around other people - including interactions you may not always enjoy (while others do enjoy them), and stop expecting everything to be about you and your personal level of comfort (helps in life as well).

Ah, the condescension is strong with this one!

Snowball throwing isn't normal person-to-person interaction in a MMO (and I've played enough of them to know - this game certainly isn't my first). It is only for a specific, time-limited event - but that doesn't mean that those of us who dislike the effect it has on the person who has no choice in being a participant (the target) should be the ones to hide away when we just want to play our game, however we wish to (and how those of us with subs pay for). Equally, those who throw the snowballs should also stop expecting everything to be about them and their personal wishes/comfort, and show some respect to people who immediately click the effect off, indicating that the effect is unwelcome.

As I, and many others in this thread have said, I have no wish to have the event or the snowballs removed - if people find it fun, good for them, and may they enjoy every one! All I would like is an opt-out option for the visual effect. It would not impact others' gameplay or experience, so I fail to understand why there is this vitriol towards those for whom this effect is annoying.

It's also weird having snowballs in the middle of summer...../shrug

Edited by TziganeNZ
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Nee-Elder said:

lol obviously.

All  some players ( in this thread and in-game ) are suggesting is a simple method by which to OPT-OUT  of  'snowball'   EFFECTS.

That way, the griefer gamers can still have their  umm  "earnest"  Life Day fun, while letting other less juvenile SWTOR people go about their own version of  fun uninterupted ( by having to right-click  constantly the icons off  bar ) .

p.s.  If  anyone thinks repeatedly hurling digital balls of a widely known derogatory word on the interwebs ( rhymes with  slowcakes )  which i'm not even allowed to type on these forums without getting  *warning*   is somehow now considered to be legit "MMO social interaction" , then i would suggest  online-obsessed Humans truly have become beyond the point of no return.

BAH !!!  HUMBUG !!!!

😉

32 minutes ago, TziganeNZ said:

Snowball throwing isn't normal person-to-person interaction in a MMO (and I've played enough of them to know - this game certainly isn't my first). It is only for a specific, time-limited event - but that doesn't mean that those of us who dislike the effect it has on the person who has no choice in being a participant (the target) should be the ones to hide away when we just want to play our game, however we wish to (and how those of us with subs pay for). Equally, those who throw the snowballs should also stop expecting everything to be about them and their personal wishes/comfort, and show some respect to people who immediately click the effect off, indicating that the effect is unwelcome.

As I, and many others in this thread have said, I have no wish to have the event or the snowballs removed - if people find it fun, good for them, and may they enjoy every one! All I would like is an opt-out option for the visual effect. It would not impact others' gameplay or experience, so I fail to understand why there is this vitriol towards those for whom this effect is annoying.

I did confirm that the affect can be removed by right clicking the "affect" listed near you character !

As for making it an easier step ...

Hmmm

Frankly it's not nearly as bad as the Rakgoul Plague (I find it 100 times more annoying) ...  having the option to "disable" the snowball affects ...  I could live with that.

59 minutes ago, TziganeNZ said:

So, you run out of arguments and decided to use veiled personal attacks instead? Who is condescending here now? Projecting much.

Snowball throwing is normal person-to person interaction as well as part of the event - the two are not mutually exclusive. It's designed to encourage said interaction by rewarding the ones who participate with conquest points, currency (parcels), and achievements. Those who engage, play the game during the event as it was designed. Those who complain go against the event-related game-play and try to shame both developers and participants for imaginary "harassment" (imaginary, since it has nothing to do with reality and using a buzz word won't make it so).

Snowballs don't make one sick or impair ones movements in any way (unlike rakghoul plague). By demanding to respect your wishes if you clicked the effect off immediately, you are effectively demanding people to read your mind. No one knows the reason you clicked it off, if they even noticed you did so, since, in most cases, whoever threw the ball in the first place would have moved on to the next target by then and forgot you even existed. Oh, and there are also NPCs who throw the balls - good luck trying to get them to respect your wishes.

Snowballs work in a way as it's own vaccine, though not a very effective one in terms you'd like it to be. Basically, if one was the last person to throw the ball, that one won't get a parcel until the effect wears off. However, if someone else throws a ball, then the first person can throw again and get a parcel at that point. Making a person appear "immune" to the effect would create an impression of a bug for a person who threw the ball and impact their quality of game-play (yes, there is an impact, even if you don't see it). They may even try to throw again (and again) to see if the "glitch" gets resolved (which would make you likely assume they're "harassing" you).

Though, perhaps they could create an item that would block the visual effect (not the parcels though) and sell it on CM for, let's say, 6,000 CC? It most likely would increase the amount of snowballs thrown at that person since people do tend to use snowflakes as visual clues. But at least players would have something to point to next time someone screams in the game chat "you *****, stop throwing snowballs at me."

Edited by VegaMist
Typo
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OlBuzzard said:

I did confirm that the affect can be removed by right clicking the "affect" listed near you character !

As for making it an easier step ...

Hmmm

Frankly it's not nearly as bad as the Rakgoul Plague (I find it 100 times more annoying) ...  having the option to "disable" the snowball affects ...  I could live with that.

Yes, that is correct. Right-clicking will indeed remove the effect, yet others have admitted in this thread that they do not respect the other player's choice not to have the effect on their character.

The Rakghoul Plague is another annoying one, but you do have the option to disengage with it by buying and using a vaccine.  Be nice to have the same option for the Life Day effect annoyance.

In all the MMOs I've played, I've only very occasionally taken part in any of the seasonal events as I find them jarring. This is, of course, my own choice, and I've absolutely no problem with the events themselves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nee-Elder said:

lol obviously.

I'm an old school MMO player. For me harassment is high level players killing low levels who can't even land hits, looting everything they have, deleting their gear out of spite, then camping the spawn point and killing them again before they can fully load in.

Snowflakes around my character 4 weeks out of the year isn't even a concern for me when it comes to harassment.

Edited by Darkestmonty
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, LD_Little_Dragon said:

It doesn't matter what your personal reasons are for playing - everything else, including party bombs and snowballs, are part of this MMO regardless whether you like it or not. And assigning your own meaning to "player interaction" won't change it's actual meaning which includes "cosmetic nonsense" you may not care for.

There are people who hate fleet chat. Does it mean it has to be removed for everyone as a result? Of course not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VegaMist said:

So, you run out of arguments and decided to use veiled personal attacks instead? Who is condescending here then? Projecting much.

Snowball throwing is normal person-to person interaction as well as part of the event - the two are not mutually exclusive. It's designed to encourage said interaction by rewarding the ones who participate with conquest points, currency (parcels), and achievements. Those who engage, play the game during the event as it was designed. Those who complain go against the event-related game-play and try to shame both developers and participants for imaginary "harassment" (imaginary, since it has nothing to do with reality and using a buzz word won't make it so).

Snowballs don't make one sick or impair ones movements in any way (unlike rakghoul plague). By demanding to respect your wishes if you clicked the effect off immediately, you are effectively demanding people to read your mind. No one knows the reason you clicked it off, if they even noticed you did so, since, in most cases, whoever threw the ball in the first place would have moved on to the next target by then and forgot you even existed. Oh, and there are also NPCs who throw the balls - good luck trying to get them to respect your wishes.

Snowballs work in a way as it's own vaccine, though not a very effective one in terms you'd like it to be. Basically, if one was the last person to throw the ball, that one won't get a parcel until the effect wears off. However, if someone else throws a ball, then the first person can throw again and get a parcel at that point. Making a person appear "immune" to the effect would create an impression of a bug for a person who threw the ball and impact their quality of game-play (yes, there is an impact, even if you don't see it). They may even try to throw again (again) to see if the "glitch" gets resolved (which would make you likely assume they're "harassing" you).

Though, perhaps they could create an item that would block the visual effect (not the parcels though) and sell it on CM for, let's say, 6,000 CC? It most likely would increase the amount of snowballs thrown at that person since people do tend to use snowflakes as visual clues. But at least players would have something to point to next time someone screams in the game chat "you *****, stop throwing snowballs at me."

Well, this is pretty condescending:
"...and stop expecting everything to be about you and your personal level of comfort (helps in life as well)."

I'm certainly not trying to "shame" anyone with a reasonable request. If the visual effect is not evident to me, I don't care how many snowballs get hiffed at me. Fill your boots! I'm not asking for the snowballs to stop being thrown, just for something that removes the visual effect for me (as in, not visual to me on my screen - however it appears to others is nothing to do with me).

I have no idea what happens in chat, as I have it turned off while on fleet. Frankly, if people are indeed saying that sort of thing, they are setting themselves up for more of the behaviour.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Darkestmonty said:

Sno-fakes around my character 4 weeks out of the year isn't even a concern for me when it comes to harassment.

Opinions vary.

i personally love  Rakghoul plague infections, but don't particularly care for snoballs in a video-game Space Station, since imo  such frozen balls should only be existing on HOTH ( or Ilum ) , etc.

Which is why, once again i ask: What's the harm is allowing those players who don't share your personal OPINION  to simply have a basic 'opt-out'  option to satisfy their equally subjective opinion?

hint: There's zero harm in it.   Unless you think opting-out of your version of "fun" would then be another forum of "harassment" toward YOU? ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TziganeNZ said:

Well, this is pretty condescending:
"...and stop expecting everything to be about you and your personal level of comfort (helps in life as well)."

Sorry, if that's how you read it.

8 minutes ago, TziganeNZ said:

I'm certainly not trying to "shame" anyone with a reasonable request. If the visual effect is not evident to me, I don't care how many snowballs get hiffed at me. Fill your boots! I'm not asking for the snowballs to stop being thrown, just for something that removes the visual effect for me (as in, not visual to me on my screen - however it appears to others is nothing to do with me).

So far, the only effect that I'm aware of that appears differently to you vs everyone else are companion decorations if you customized said companions (you see your custom outfits while everyone else sees either default or their custom outfits). For everything else, it's one and the same. So, request to adjust visuals just for you may be much bigger (from a development perspective) than you think.

11 minutes ago, TziganeNZ said:

I have no idea what happens in chat, as I have it turned off while on fleet. Frankly, if people are indeed saying that sort of thing, they are setting themselves up for more of the behaviour.

Thank you for being proactive and taking care of a thing that bothered you without asking to remove it (i.e. fleet chat) which is exactly how most bothersome things should be dealt with and sets a good example. And yes, there were plenty of people yelling in fleet chat (especially when the even just started) which, while I found it mostly funny, might have impacted my feelings towards the matter.

1 minute ago, Nee-Elder said:

Which is why, once again i ask: What's the harm is allowing those players who don't share your personal OPINION  to simply have a basic 'opt-out'  option to satisfy their equally subjective opinion?

Snowflakes provide visual clue to the one who thrown a ball regarding whether such throw was effective. It also tells one which player/NPC already has the effect on without clicking the target. I have one NPC in my stronghold - Refreshments Probe - which, while being a valid target, doesn't get a snowflakes effect after getting snowballed. Since it's only one (and I remember which one it is), it doesn't create an issue. However, if every NPC in my stronghold was the same way, it would diminish my ability to tell when the effect wears off and result in unnecessary clicks to figure out who the next valid target should be.

The issue is simple.

Is it worth spending developer time to disable snow sparkles for players who do not like to see them?

Next...

Is it worth spending developer time to disable festive decorations for players who do not like to see them?

Next...

Is it worth spending developer time to disable emotes on players who do not like to see them?

Next...

Is it worth spending developer time to disable party bomb on players who do not like to see them?

Next...

Is it worth spending developer time to disable cartel market outfits on players who do not like to see them?

Next...

Is it worth spending developer time to disable cartel market weapons on players who do not like to see them?

Next...

Is it worth spending developer time to disable cartel market tunings on players who do not like to see them?

Next...

Is it worth spending developer time to disable cartel market flairs on players who do not like to see them?

Next...

Is it worth spending developer time to disable cartel market pets on players who do not like to see them?

Next...

Do you see where this is going? If the developers cater to every sensitivity for players, the devs will be spending their whole time changing every aspect of SWTOR into a toggle which honestly won't do anything to generate revenue or retain players.

We already have people demanding mounts be disabled on fleet because the sound is harassing them and they assure us everyone agrees with this potential ban on mounts on fleet.

If snow sparkles is ruining your game experience, the Life Day event may be something you want to skip.

Edited by Darkestmonty
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Darkestmonty said:

The issue is simple.

Is it worth spending developer time to disable snow sparkles for players who do not like to see them?

Next...

Is it worth spending developer time to disable festive decorations for players who do not like to see them?

Next...

Is it worth spending developer time to disable emotes on players who do not like to see them?

Next...

Is it worth spending developer time to disable party bomb on players who do not like to see them?

Next...

Is it worth spending developer time to disable cartel market outfits on players who do not like to see them?

Next...

Is it worth spending developer time to disable cartel market weapons on players who do not like to see them?

Next...

Is it worth spending developer time to disable cartel market tunings on players who do not like to see them?

Next...

Is it worth spending developer time to disable cartel market flairs on players who do not like to see them?

Next...

Is it worth spending developer time to disable cartel market pets on players who do not like to see them?

Next...

Do you see where this is going? If the developers cater to every sensitivity for players, the devs will be spending their whole time changing every aspect of SWTOR into a toggle which honestly won't do anything to generate revenue or retain players.

We already have people demanding mounts be disabled on fleet because the sound is harassing them and they assure us everyone agrees with this potential ban on mounts on fleet.

If snow sparkles is ruining your game experience, the Life Day event may be something you want to skip.

On the other hand ... that door swings both ways!

You could have just given the development team a good reason to discontinue the Life Day experience altogether!  It would save a lot of time and resources needed elsewhere!

7 minutes ago, OlBuzzard said:

On the other hand ... that door swings both ways!

You could have just given the development team a good reason to discontinue the Life Day experience altogether!  It would save a lot of time and resources needed elsewhere!

considering our population almost triples in part because of Life Day I doubt that will happen.

If Life Day were unpopular to the point no one participated, we wouldn't have 5 people here complaining about being hit by snowballs.

Edited by Darkestmonty

54 minutes ago, Darkestmonty said:

The issue is simple.

Is it worth spending developer time to disable _____________

lol "developer time"  :rolleyes:

It would take them about 5 minutes + 1 line of  'if X is true/false' code.

34 minutes ago, Darkestmonty said:

, we wouldn't have 5 people here complaining about being hit by snowballs.

You do realize there's only like 20 people ( the same 20 people ) posting on these forums nowadays at all.

And for the record: i couldn't care less  either way  about so called Life Day  "event"   and i welcome griefers since they entertain me.

But  there's def. a strong  counterpoint to all the snoball  throwers, including the lore aspect i mentioned about  HOTH & Ilum being cold weather immersion.   As opposed to  lazy allow snow-chucking anywhere in the Galaxy ---including LAVA pits on Oricon & Ord Mantell   :ph_lol:  smh

3 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

lol "developer time"  :rolleyes:

It would take them about 5 minutes + 1 line of  'if X is true/false' code.

You do realize there's only like 20 people ( the same 20 people ) posting on these forums nowadays at all.

And for the record: i couldn't care less  either way  about so called Life Day  "event"   and i welcome griefers since they entertain me.

But  there's def. a strong  counterpoint to all the snoball  throwers, including the lore aspect i mentioned about  HOTH & Ilum being cold weather immersion.   As opposed to  lazy allow snow-chucking anywhere in the Galaxy ---including LAVA pits on Oricon & Ord Mantell   :ph_lol:  smh

You should save the devs time and write the code they need and e-mail it to them.

13 minutes ago, Darkestmonty said:

You should save the devs time and write the code they need and e-mail it to them.

ahh so now you're just reduced to trolling, eh?

All too easy. :csw_vader:

Onto the next thread then....

2 hours ago, Nee-Elder said:

ahh so now you're just reduced to trolling, eh?

All too easy. :csw_vader:

Onto the next thread then....

I'm sorry, is it more complicated than "about 5 minutes + 1 line of  'if X is true/false' code"?

Edited by Darkestmonty

22 hours ago, VegaMist said:

Did someone force you to log into the game? Or do GTN on fleet of all places while the event is going on? You could go to your stronghold (unlisted if you wanted no one to find you) and concentrate on GTN there, but you chose not to. So whether you like it or not, you are participating in the event voluntarily.

How about "no", White Knight (or Troll).

How about I pay the same as everyone else so I should have the same access as everyone else.

47 minutes ago, Sumugi said:

How about I pay the same as everyone else so I should have the same access as everyone else.

the snowflakes aren't stopping you from accessing any part of the game.

I have to admit, I'm a bit envious of people who feel out of all the flaws SWTOR has, snowflakes floating around their character is one they want to focus on changing.

Edited by Darkestmonty
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sumugi said:

You have access as everyone else - snowflakes are not preventing you from accessing the fleet. What you are asking for is a special treatment (fleet access with no snowflakes during the Life Day event) which no one is entitled to.