Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Shae Vizla Launch Updates

JackieKo

ALL the APAC players I know, that are LOCATED in APAC region... have UNsubbed...  may as well move shae to the US as it aint gunna last here....

Take your server out of Australia, if you want to treat us this way BroadSword.... take your server out of our country, we don't treat ppl like this, and I HOPE the APAC community treats all your local players the same way you treat us.... like second-class citizens begging for scraps.... but then I realize... you just treat us like the HOMELESS, build us a home, that you once destroyed, say we cant take our money there, then keep the high tax rate built for those that have it all already... 

Personally, it drives me crazy when they impose retroactive requirements to qualify for something.

"In order to gain this benefit, you have to do this."
"Okay, when do I need to do it by?"
"You need to do it three months ago."
" ... Uh ... "

In order to qualify for the free transfers, we had to do something weeks or months ago, when we didn't know that we had to do it, because they didn't bother to let us know that we needed to do it until after the time that we needed to do it by. This makes sense?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, ShadowyKai said:

Personally, it drives me crazy when they impose retroactive requirements to qualify for something.

" ... Uh ... "

In order to qualify for the free transfers, we had to do something weeks or months ago, when we didn't know that we had to do it, because they didn't bother to let us know that we needed to do it until after the time that we needed to do it by. This makes sense?

i didn't even qualify for the 16 free transfers until they moved it to january 2nd i subscribe in december and even now from a marketing stand point bad call what they should have done a hard cut off point in march ideally with a date with it    

1 hour ago, ShadowyKai said:

What they could have done, though it would be more complicated, was to base the number of free transfers on how long before the transfers occurred you subbed. As an example: 3 months prior = 16 transfers, 2 months prior = 12 transfers, 1 month prior = 6 transfers, anything less than 1 month = 4 transfers. I'm not saying these are the right timelines, but they would give advantage to someone who subbed right away at (or near) launch over someone who signed up at the last minute yet still allowing some free transfers. Perhaps an "in game" token to "pay" for transfers. If you don't have the token in the character's inventory, they are ineligible to transfer.

Fewer free transfers with a higher credit limit would also have been better, though I think their goal is to limit the number of people transferring over just to expand their max number of credits in game (freeing up credit space on their "home" server).

A straight up legacy transplant could also have been interesting. Completely removing you from the source server and transferring the legacy intact (achievements, strongholds unlocked, etc). That also would limit non-APAC transfers as you would have to give up your position on the source server entirely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, emperorruby said:

i didn't even qualify for the 16 free transfers until they moved it to january 2nd i subscribe in december and even now from a marketing stand point bad call what they should have done a hard cut off point in march ideally with a date with it    

The 29th of February would be fine for a cut off. “Be subbed by then to get your 16 free transfers”. And send out emails now so that no one can complain they didn’t know. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

The 29th of February would be fine for a cut off. “Be subbed by then to get your 16 free transfers”. And send out emails now so that no one can complain they didn’t know. 

This.

it is all well and good that “we” may be eligible, but those who were waiting for transfers to open, or lapsed due to the mismanagement of the server launch and following poor communication are not posting here, because this is an echo chamber of subscribers only.

we need to be the voice for those players if we want them to join us.

@KeithKanneg you need to hear this and get rid of this back dated subscription restriction.

Shae Vizla needs fewer restrictions for the players not more.

it started as a return to APAC having its own regional server, you have mutated it into a dysfunctional New start server with these restrictions. It isn’t good as either.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, FrontLineFodder said:

@KeithKanneg you need to hear this and get rid of this back dated subscription restriction.

Shae Vizla needs fewer restrictions for the players not more.

it started as a return to APAC having its own regional server, you have mutated it into a dysfunctional New start server with these restrictions. It isn’t good as either.

Every time they joke about them getting legendary status on shae-vizla and that being what they were waiting for before they opened up transfers "jokingly..." is like a punch in the gut to the APAC community. The joke has been told in every interview so we know it's true and it's not cool at all! I appreciate that the devs actually play the game but they're making decisions that benefit themselves for servers in a completely different region. If they want a fresh start server and want to limit credits and transfers open up a new server in the US for that reason.  I'm guessing they couldn't get approval for A fresh start US server that so they've used shae-vizla server as a test subject with the excuse of it being in APAC To get the server launch approved. If it was really about encouraging APAC players to return they would have sent out emails before the server was launched offered free transfers for anybody resubscribing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ShadowyKai said:

" ... Uh ... "

Exactly its stupid and grossly unfair, and stinks of a CC coin grab for transfers, especially with the transfers later, wait no transfers allowed, oh ok you can transfer with restrictions... its a merry go round

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finished watching their latest stream and have to say that was so cringe, after 5 or so years of not playing this game and coming back hyped as to see an APAC server but the management of SV and the APAC community up to now has just been so frustrating and that stream just crushed my hopes for this game it told me three things, the game is dead, its a skeleton staff and on a shoestring budget. When I first got back I thought this game could come back but now I see its going to take an announcement of significant money coming in or a new game replacing this for SWTOR to ever come back.

SV is so dead now and depending who you ask some are waiting for transfers and others are so disenfranchised now by the mishandling their done with SWTOR. So disappointing. 

• Sad 1

Some of you are way too emotional and need to chill for a second.

Credits come and go, it really isn't that hard to get credits. 240m across the free 16 characters is way more than enough even for a raider, if you have excess just buy high selling items from the GTN and change it over to SV. 240m SV credits is a deflated 4-5b on another service, the number is somewhat irrelevant if the main concern is to be able to cover raiding costs, materials, farming etc.

Strongholds transfer over and you only have to pay a reactivation cost (likely to be 15-20m max to unlock them all) whichs means you still have 220m for everything else. Buy consumables etc on the old server to bring to the new server so you don't need to buy them from the SV gtn?

Has the communication been poor by broadsword? sure, but this game has been around for just over 12years and never had the funding/income that wow and FF has and since being out so long the team assigned to this game is likely super small and doing what they can do to try and appease everyone. It's an impossible task especially considering what some of the people in this post are asking.

The only thing disappointing about how this is being handled if anything is the delay in opening transfers. The service is super low pop right now and I do think the transfers need to be done sooner than later but who knows what's happening behind the scenes. Maybe their devs are overworked? We aren't privy to all this information.

Take a step back, take a breath and remember that they are also people like you and me, likely overworked and underpaid and don't need the insults and aggressiveness that some of you are giving. This is a great game, it's a nice escape from reality from real life as well for some people, but it's not the end of the world if some things don't go the way you want it to do.

TLDR: Just chill out.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Well it has passed well into Friday evening at the BroadSword office.

I guess that means another weekend and Monday before there is any chance of hearing from the developers.

I get the feeling that @KeithKanneg does not understand how big a deal this is to APAC players, and how much the lack of communication is hurting the community.

Regardless of what happens with Shae Vizla, I personally will not be forgetting how the management at BroadSword have handled this launch for a very long time.

Keith says he is listening to the community, but I do not believe he is. We need less restrictions on Shae Vizla and character transfers, not more.

Keith may believe he is communicating, but we are not seeing it. Most players who celebrated the launch and return of an APAC regional server have accepted the revised credit limit (while stating it is still 5-10M too low and or pointing out the discriminatory treatment compared to other regional servers). The latest issue that BS have created (and far more damaging to getting players on Shae Vizla) is the back dated requirement for free transfers.

I have a whole review on the communication announcements that the dev's have made, but I just deleted it after seeing how long it was.

I just hope they hear us and get rid of this back dated subscription restriction for character transfers.

55 minutes ago, Tarlen said:

I've been following this thread since it basically started and some of the responses and posts I've seen seem super unhinged.

If that were true you understand the issues, clearly you dont.

55 minutes ago, Tarlen said:

Has the communication been poor by broadsword? sure, but this game has been around for just over 12years and never had the funding/income that wow and FF has and since being out so long the team assigned to this game is likely super small and doing what they can do to try and appease everyone. It's an impossible task especially considering what some of the people in this post are asking.

The only thing disappointing about how this is being handled if anything is the delay in opening transfers. The service is super low pop right now and I do think the transfers need to be done sooner than later but who knows what's happening behind the scenes. Maybe their devs are overworked? We aren't privy to all this information.

Take a step back, take a breath and remember that they are also people like you and me, likely overworked and underpaid and don't need the insults and aggressiveness that some of you are giving. This is a great game, it's a nice escape from reality from real life as well for some people, but it's not the end of the world if some things don't go the way you want it to do.

This is my favorite part of your post and really had me laugh, you are blaming poor communication and decisions made by this team for years, not just recently, (this is really the tip of an extremely big iceberg) on overwork and under-pay, don't be obtuse.

• Haha 1

On 12/22/2023 at 8:59 AM, Darev said:

Honestly, I wouldn't either.

I do understand the reasoning behind it.  Transferring a ton of stuff you can sell puts you at a large advantage over people starting from scratch and not transferring anything over.

Plus, in theory, you MIGHT have people from 5 servers all transferring their stuff to SV, making it a true and utter cluster.

But honestly, that wasn't the (original) point of the server.

But it's what we have now.  Two groups of people with vastly different goals and the people in charge stuck in the middle trying to come up with an acceptable compromise.

I have it.   it isn't going to be popular.

Clone the server.   Pick a date, set it in stone, clone the server and move it to another brand new server that will be specifically for anyone, across all regions, to use as a "fresh start" server.  AFTER that date, allow transfers and treat SV like every other server.  Credits galore, all items, whatever the APAC players want.

Yes, it will mean paying for another server, so it would take time to set that up and get everything signed as far as contracts.

BUT, you'd get all of the current people who have put in 30 days, or more, time into new toons (not to mention paying for character boosts and other CM items) to keep their stuff, AND you'd get a "normal" server for the APAC players that you originally intended.

The new server would have optional legacy unlock only transfers (set that up to include stronghold room unlocks for conquest bonus purposes), no credits / items, and could be used as the use case test bed for long term changes.

Just my $.02 after a few weeks of posts have given me time to mull over my original thought/post about this subject.

Going back in time here, but this is what should have been listened to.
multiple posts have stated it, merge the NA servers and clone SV into a new dedicated Fresh start server for those masochist players what want that.

too late now

As an original APAC player I was really looking forward to the launch of the new Oceanic server. I have been waiting patiently for transfers to open up so that I could re-subscribe and then move all my characters (who were moved to a US server when the old Oceanic servers were shutdown) back to my original region.

Only to now find out that I was supposed to have subscribed back in January? How was I supposed to know that? My characters were forcibly moved and now I have to pay just to bring them back to where they were originally.

A little disappointed now as I had hopes things would change under Broadsword.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Avatarless said:

As an original APAC player I was really looking forward to the launch of the new Oceanic server. I have been waiting patiently for transfers to open up so that I could re-subscribe and then move all my characters (who were moved to a US server when the old Oceanic servers were shutdown) back to my original region.

Only to now find out that I was supposed to have subscribed back in January? How was I supposed to know that? My characters were forcibly moved and now I have to pay just to bring them back to where they were originally.

A little disappointed now as I had hopes things would change under Broadsword.

well 16 free transfers but i think backdated requirements are dumb 

33 minutes ago, emperorruby said:

well 16 free transfers but i think backdated requirements are dumb 

Not dumb but like I asked a colleague at a particular graphics company I work for for 20 years who didn't want to associate our company with need for speed because it promoted street racing "Did you get your marketing degree in a Cornflakes packet?"..   Nobody with any knowledge of sales and marketing would pass up a marketing opportunity like this to attract new clients. 

Edited by JohnnyGatt

17 minutes ago, JohnnyGatt said:

Not dumb but like I asked a colleague at a particular graphics company I work for for 20 years who didn't want to associate our company with need for speed because it promoted street racing "Did you get your marketing degree in a Cornflakes packet?"..   Nobody with any knowledge of sales and marketing would pass up a marketing opportunity like this to attract new clients. 

in this case a forward dated approach would be better

Edited by emperorruby
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, emperorruby said:

in this case a forward dated approach would be better

A proactive dated approach, instead of a retroactive is normal, fair and acceptable in any type of situation that imposes a condition.
As others have pointed out, where is marketing on this.

"Not happy Jan"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nommaz said:

As others have pointed out, where is marketing on this

Most non-marketers & sales people don’t really understand the intricacies of it or that a good marketer can sell snow to eskimos. So I honestly don’t think they have a marketing department anymore. It was probably one of those departments they did away with during the transfer to BS. And unless any of the devs have had any marketing or sales training, they’re likely totally fumbling in the dark at most marketing concepts we take for granted. It’s the only thing that makes logical sense to those of us who’ve done marketing or sales in our real lives. From the way they rushed the server launch to the way keep fumbling things till now. Technical Managers  often don’t realise the magic a good marketing team adds to their product, image or bottom line. Or how badly handled marketing can do more harm than good. That’s where BS seem to be at with swtor. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nommaz said:

A proactive dated approach, instead of a retroactive is normal, fair and acceptable in any type of situation that imposes a condition.
As others have pointed out, where is marketing on this.

"Not happy Jan"

i don't know why they did not do a proactive dated theory the higher ups set a date january 2nd does not require further approval but the developer are still negotiable with them 

32 minutes ago, emperorruby said:

i don't know why they did not do a proactive dated theory the higher ups set a date january 2nd does not require further approval but the developer are still negotiable with them 

Back dating something makes no sense. I doubt there are any higher ups above Keith involved in this. What I feel’s been lacking is a laid out business plan & set goals for opening the server. If you have those done in advance, then the basic marketing is imbedded in them. But I feel like they are only following a developer type plan that omits the business / money making side of things. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, emperorruby said:

could be a combination of both no marketing department + higher ups are split  

Maybe. But consider this, the higher ups (if involved) probably aren’t marketing or sales savvy themselves. It’s the same thing just higher up the food chain. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Its early and I am having coffee so I did a quick google search and got this.

"If you’re a national brand, you need to also be a local brand.

You need to connect with your community and show customers that even if your brand has multiple locations, the location closest to them cares about promoting and supporting their region"

I think you are correct @TrixxieTriss it certainly seems like a dev only decision, surely anyone higher would not have made this many mistakes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Maybe. But consider this, the higher ups (if involved) probably aren’t marketing or sales savvy themselves. It’s the same thing just higher up the food chain. 

the split came after the feedback came in and players don't like being blindsided and now their scrambling to fix the pr behind the scenes      

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.