Huttball needs to go!

Rhys_lightning

I know some people have posted many times, but I will be blunt, Huttball needs to and needs to be uninstalled, as no one plays the game mode proper/does not play the objective Or people like to cheese play by just having 1 stealth character go to the enemy goal line and just insta score.

I understand the devs wanted to make something "Creative" but the game mode is just a huge waste of time, you have players/team mates who either ignore the objective, throw the ball away to a random spot or player as they want to focus true pvp or not want to take responsibility, or just ignore everything as a whole wasting everyones time.

Personally i feel as though huttball does NOT belong in a Warzone but should be it's own pvp option entirely (which spoilers wont be surprised if no one picks it) as when comes to PVP players would always want to do big damage and big numbers, not giving a care for objectives.

So I hate to sound like one of those types, but I would LOVE a dev to explain to me right now why huttball is considered an acceptable warzone, while I'll happily explain why it is all a huge waste of time, if nothing then they just proved exactly my point, so easy options as i presented either remove/uninstall huttball or just put it as a different pvp option, which again i doubt anyone would pick unless you force them to play just for rewards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If however if should the devs want to make the game more enjoyable, then things will need to be done.

1) put blockers/force fields near goal lines so players have to go through the obstacle fairly and not cheese pass every time.
2) punish players for not following the objective (E.G: A player who has the ball, but just throws it to a random open space as they refuse to be a target and only focus on pvp damage, punish the player for not working as a team)

Edited by Rhys_lightning

21 minutes ago, Rhys_lightning said:

Or people like to cheese play by just having 1 stealth character go to the enemy goal line and just insta score.

this is a tactic a lot of players know about and use to win fast and you know there is a counter class that can stop the stealth players near the goal also i think the gunslinger has a skill like that can stop the stleath mode.

• Haha 1

have always said hutball isnt pvp its just a 3d foozeball game and sniper roll and leap for the win everytime, for the last year its been nothing more than a win trade mess..throw it away and make major changes to ancient hypergate and youll see quite a few bad actors vanish. hutball, queshball, vandin ball all those maps toss. if you want a "capture the flag match" you can but you need one with way more blocks and obstacles. Ive seen players pass the ball from mid to almost the end zone or glitch from pit to top ledge its stoopid easy apparently to "win"

long post incoming but I'm bored...

1 hour ago, Rhys_lightning said:

Or people like to cheese play by just having 1 stealth character go to the enemy goal line and just insta score.

that's not cheesing anything. that's called strategy.

1 hour ago, Spikanor said:

this is a tactic a lot of players know about and use to win fast and you know there is a counter class that can stop the stealth players near the goal also i think the gunslinger has a skill like that can stop the stleath mode.

lol no. you defeat the "stealth in the end zone" by controlling ball spawn/mid.

FWI @rhys_lightning players who DM in the pit will do so at mid and (usually) give your team control of mid almost accidentally. This is also mostly true of vandin. however, vandin is harder to move the ball from spawn to ez without help than the pit is. but controlling mid is easier. quesh is a trash map by any metric, from placement of ball spawn to denying fundamental/core abilities to classes (like warrior leaps to compensate for bad map design).

1 hour ago, Rhys_lightning said:

huttball does NOT belong in a Warzone but should be it's own pvp option entirely (which spoilers wont be surprised if no one picks it) as when comes to PVP players would always want to do big damage and big numbers, not giving a care for objectives.

So I hate to sound like one of those types, but I would LOVE a dev to explain to me right now why huttball is considered an acceptable warzone, while I'll happily explain why it is all a huge waste of time, if nothing then they just proved exactly my point, so easy options as i presented either remove/uninstall huttball or just put it as a different pvp option, which again i doubt anyone would pick unless you force them to play just for rewards

HB is the most dynamic of all WZs in the rotation. I'm not sure how/why ppl seem to think "PVP" means "red is dead" and only that. you don't play football against AI (yet). it's still two human teams kicking/throwing footballs toward a goal defended by other human opponents. it's as "PVP" as can be.

2 hours ago, Rhys_lightning said:

no one plays the game mode proper/does not play the objective

^this is true. there are a couple reasons for it, but these reasons are not exclusive to hb. first and foremost, there's no real incentive to win HB - or any WZ. many players will just play their own game of "red is dead" on every map, but particularly in maps where they feel they cannot influence the outcome. others (often in premades) are so dominant that there's literally no competition involved in playing for the win, so they ignore objectives and play "red is dead," which frankly, also applies to every other WZ in the rotation.

my point is this: the problems you describe in HB are problems with every map in the rotation. they are just exacerbated in HB b/c that format requires more strategy and cooperation, not less. however, you don't get a high degree of cooperation in defacto "regs," particularly amongst a bunch of pugs who (10+ years after the game was created) still think the way you deal with stealth in the EZ is to hunt around for them in the EZ. that's counter productive and a waste of time. but it's as regular an occurrence in the game as having ppl stealth the EZ (which is to say it happens every game).

rather than eliminate the most dynamic format in the WZ rotation (please get rid of quesh; it's a truly horrible design), I propose addressing the reasons players ignore objectives in WZs generally - that is to say, incentivize winning matches by making the reward for winning overwhelmingly attractive to losing.

the most obvious adjustment is in the reward structure. ever since pvp seasons came about, the rewards available for mere participation have skyrocketed, but those are the same rewards one receives for winning. the only difference is how quickly one completes the reward track. the other aspect in play is that there's no incentive for skilled players to express their skill by playing objectives in WZs any longer. there hasn't been any real stakes involved in WZs since BW killed rated WZs (what feels like) a decade ago.

do they have to bring back rated WZs? eh. prolly not a large enough population for that now anyway. but as is the case with ALL pvp atm, there's very little incentive to improve or even play to win...particularly in WZs. So the population is split between bots drawn in there by the extrinsic rewards of pvp seasons and the mainstays who have long since lost motivation to "win" because there are no longer any stakes in WZs whatsoever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rhys_lightning said:

I know some people have posted many times, but I will be blunt, Huttball needs to and needs to be uninstalled, as no one plays the game mode proper/does not play the objective Or people like to cheese play by just having 1 stealth character go to the enemy goal line and just insta score.

I understand the devs wanted to make something "Creative" but the game mode is just a huge waste of time, you have players/team mates who either ignore the objective, throw the ball away to a random spot or player as they want to focus true pvp or not want to take responsibility, or just ignore everything as a whole wasting everyones time.

Personally i feel as though huttball does NOT belong in a Warzone but should be it's own pvp option entirely (which spoilers wont be surprised if no one picks it) as when comes to PVP players would always want to do big damage and big numbers, not giving a care for objectives.

So I hate to sound like one of those types, but I would LOVE a dev to explain to me right now why huttball is considered an acceptable warzone, while I'll happily explain why it is all a huge waste of time, if nothing then they just proved exactly my point, so easy options as i presented either remove/uninstall huttball or just put it as a different pvp option, which again i doubt anyone would pick unless you force them to play just for rewards.

NO, HUTTBALL IS FINE. Especially since they’ve semi improved the desync that was happening a lot of the time. 

If you want to death match, queue up for Arena. There’s a seperate queue for that now. 

It just sounds like someone simply can’t play Hutt ball 🤷🏻‍♀️

Those tactics aren’t cheesing. They are legit strategy & if you understand them, you can easily counter them. 

Ie, knock/push the stealth off the ledge. Stun the stealth when the ball is passed to them. Do that a few times & they stop doing it. Or do as Krack suggested & control mid 😉

I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but if you are sick of getting stupid random death match teams in Hutt ball, form a 4 man premade of people who know how to play it properly.

You can probably even get away with a 2-3 man premade of people who understand tactics & don’t death match away from the ball. 

I usually only need 1 or 2 other people on my team with half a clue for me to carry the team for a win. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, krackcommando said:

rather than eliminate the most dynamic format in the WZ rotation (please get rid of quesh; it's a truly horrible design),

I actually like Quesh. Especially since they seem to have reduced a lot of the dsync that was happening. I just wish they’d fix the leap bug for Warriors so we can once again leap from inside our own end zones. I don’t need to be able to leap into the enemy zone as an attacker. But if they insist on keeping it that way for warriors, I would ask they stop Operatives from being able to roll into it too. 

2 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

I actually like Quesh. Especially since they seem to have reduced a lot of the dsync that was happening. I just wish they’d fix the leap bug for Warriors so we can once again leap from inside our own end zones. I don’t need to be able to leap into the enemy zone as an attacker. But if they insist on keeping it that way for warriors, I would ask they stop Operatives from being able to roll into it too. 

it's a garbage design. first, you cannot carry the ball from spawn to ez. that's not how the game is played. you're supposed to be able to get your tank around the map. but it's even worse b/c only half the players on any map are trying to win, so having to pass in that scenario is nonsense.

then, b/c the ball spawn is at the bottom rather than mid, you cannot even rely on a scrum at mid to overpower or push the opposing team off of spawn (i.e., control spawn).

third, the map is vertical, but only in relation to the spawn. so you do all the work and carry the ball 2 or 3 levels, only to lose it at the 3rd level, and the other team is like 1 sorc pull away from a score. you could argue that such a design promotes strategy, but there's no move - counter move involved. it's a stick and ball sport except the goals for both teams are right next to each other. dumb.

desync honestly only bothers me when I'm DMing at mid, so I wouldn't complain about that at all personally.

however, the fact that leap doesn't work but you can still stealth camp, sorc pull, and (i think?) pw there (or on the pipe right before the ez)...that's utter garbage. a bad bandaid concocted to account for bad design. and if it's a glitch not intended, then it's game breaking, and I'll happily ignore objectives every time I pop into that trash map in favor of DMing at mid.

I think Huttball is fun and innovative af. As a newer PvPer, it’s one of the unique PvP things in this game I really enjoy that other mmos don’t have. 

I can appreciate that not everyone feels this way, but it’s not like it’s objectively some broken thing needs to be removed. I do think premades can ruin it pretty extremely for the average player, but that’s a whole separate matter not exclusive to huttball. 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, AocaVII said:

We have been saying the same thing for 10 years they will never change it. They asked for feedback they've been told 100,000 times to remove space football and yet it's still there.

Because many of us like it. That’s why it’s still here because it’s popular.

Huttball can be annoying because of its pops, but its honestly better than Proving grounds. 

I despise that mode so much, it has terrible spawns, funnels players down corridors and if premade is in, gives them free reign to stack on your team. Not to mention whether you actually win or loose feels so RNG to me. Not to mention 90% of the playerbase doesn't know how to actually play the mode, or if they do know they don't care and just go deathmatch against the other team.