Leviathan server migration updates

JackieKo

• Dev Post

Good morning everyone,

We will be taking down the Leviathan server to begin migration over to the cloud. Expected downtime is 6 hours. 

All other servers will be taken down, but brought back up online momentarily. 

• Like 5

• JackieKo unlocked and unpinned this topic

Connecting from the States, I'm getting less lag on the cloud server compared to the old ones in Ireland.

• Tulak Hord lag: 169-320ms (186ms most common) - Dublin, Ireland
  • The Leviathan lag: 161-171ms (164ms most common) - Amazon Cloud
1 hour ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Can anyone share the IP of the new AWS Leviathan server? 

It's not an IP, but this is what the game reports is the new domain for it.

The Leviathan - LastPlayedShardAddress = he4002n01.cloud.swtor.com:8995:castlehilltest

For reference, this is the one for Tulak Hord: Tulak Hord - LastPlayedShardAddress = he4001n01.swtor.com:8995:castlehilltest

It looks like the only difference is the ".cloud." subdomain.

Edited by ThanderSnB
  • Like 1

Logging from France, Server lags tested on different locations but outside combat situation, SS : 86-93ms / SF: 91-95ms / Levi: 26-29ms. Would need to be tested with the Nightmare Pilgrim as it's literally one of the laggiest fight I've ever done on swtor to really see how much it changes things. But yeah Levi for me had around the same numbers as SS and SF before the transfer.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PneumaMY said:

Connecting from APAC.

The IP I got seems to route to Amazon AWS datacentre in Dublin, Ireland. (52.16.191.XXX)

I wonder if this is just for the transition period or will they continue to permanently use the AWS location for European servers? It could have been an opportunity to improve ping for French speaking gamers. On the flip side, keeping them altogether could also mean they plan cross server for local based servers 🤷🏻‍♀️. It would be awesome if the dev team could confirm or deny that’s the plan 😉

2 hours ago, LittleEwina said:

Logging from France, Server lags tested on different locations but outside combat situation, SS : 86-93ms / SF: 91-95ms / Levi: 26-29ms. Would need to be tested with the Nightmare Pilgrim as it's literally one of the laggiest fight I've ever done on swtor to really see how much it changes things. But yeah Levi for me had around the same numbers as SS and SF before the transfer.

It would be good to see a test with the other European servers to see a real like for like comparison. Especially as they were all located in the same data centre & it seems Leviathan might still be geolocated in Ireland too.

4 hours ago, ThanderSnB said:

Connecting from the States, I'm getting less lag on the cloud server compared to the old ones in Ireland.

• Tulak Hord lag: 169-320ms (186ms most common) - Dublin, Ireland
  • The Leviathan lag: 161-171ms (164ms most common) - Amazon Cloud

It's not an IP, but this is what the game reports is the new domain for it.

The Leviathan - LastPlayedShardAddress = he4002n01.cloud.swtor.com:8995:castlehilltest

For reference, this is the one for Tulak Hord: Tulak Hord - LastPlayedShardAddress = he4001n01.swtor.com:8995:castlehilltest

It looks like the only difference is the ".cloud." subdomain.

This is how you find the IP address :

Open the Windows command prompt.
Type this command 

Netstat -n -p tcp -b | more

It will show you the 2 swtor connections to the server IP.
It usually has an ip like this - 

52.16.191.XXX

Edited by TrixxieTriss

3 hours ago, LittleEwina said:

I'm also in France, but up near Lille, and my ping to Leviathan earlier this evening was 18-21ms rather than the 22-25ms I had before.

4 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

On the flip side, keeping them altogether could also mean they plan cross server for local based servers

Or it could be purely financial. Keeping all three "servers" in the same server farm is cheaper than spreading them out to different locations (as opposed to moving them all to a different location). The benefit you get from spreading them out only arises if the game population rises significantly and one datacenter can't manage the full "workload" and the population using the server becomes more dispersed.

31 minutes ago, DWho said:

Or it could be purely financial. Keeping all three "servers" in the same server farm is cheaper than spreading them out to different locations (as opposed to moving them all to a different location). The benefit you get from spreading them out only arises if the game population rises significantly and one datacenter can't manage the full "workload" and the population using the server becomes more dispersed.

That maybe true. But from what I’ve been told, an AWS contract isn’t priced on the location as much as it’s a total number of servers. So they pay a flat rate & it doesn’t matter the location(s).

Edited by TrixxieTriss

tested right now:

tulak hord: 32ms
darth malgus: 33ms
leviathan: 104ms

(via cmd)

i also activated signal ingame.
here it says:
tulak hord: 28ms
darth malgus: 30ms
leviathan: 48ms

Edited by fabsus

19 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

I wonder if this is just for the transition period or will they continue to permanently use the AWS location for European servers? It could have been an opportunity to improve ping for French speaking gamers. On the flip side, keeping them altogether could also mean they plan cross server for local based servers 🤷🏻‍♀️. It would be awesome if the dev team could confirm or deny that’s the plan 😉

Tax point of view (not sure for translation), and french/european laws

For me, ping 15 before to 25/30ms after, AWS power ?

i live at Earth's End (Brest) but their is direct route to Ireland ... no need to go over Paris

• Like 1