Leviathan server migration updates

JackieKo

il y a 27 minutes, -Fabien- a dit :

Tax point of view (not sure for translation), and french/european laws

For me, ping 15 before to 25/30ms after, AWS power ?

i live at Earth's End (Brest) but their is direct route to Ireland ... no need to go over Paris

Kouign aman powa ! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, -Fabien- said:

Tax point of view (not sure for translation), and french/european laws

Compared to the EU, Ireland has very low corporate tax rates, which makes it so attractive for companies as a location and has led to the European branches/headquarters of many large international companies being found there. Add to that the fact that English and Irish (Gaeilge) are the official languages of the Republic of Ireland.

The EU "General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Compliance" forms the data protection framework within the European Union. The expressly standardized so-called "market place principle" also ensures that the regulation applies to data processors who are not established in the European Union if data processing serves to offer goods or services to persons resident in the European Union. In practice, this should mean that supplying European customers with servers located within the EU should be a lot easier from a legal point of view.

2 hours ago, akdonkey said:

So will there be another server move to the cloud next week or must we wait even longer? 

If they haven't already announced it, it's reasonable to assume that there won't be.

EDIT: I checked.  The Leviathan move was announced a whole week ahead.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

playing from the states, and having some issues with Leviathan. 

1.At times NPCs are showing after they are dead as still attacking, with me being unable to attack them.

2. Unable to travel to Nar Shaddaa. Either by Galactic Quik-travel nor by ship, nor from stronghold.

1. Leviathan is my home server. I play from North America. There is lag now that was not experienced previously. It is most noticeable while PVPing.
My friends all PVP, so this is a game-breaking issue for me.

2. A few minutes ago after completing a set of heroics on Nar Shaddaa, I was unable to zone out using priority transport to Dromund Kaas or even to my stronghold. My next move was to walk out of the instance I was in. However, I got bumped to the server selection screen. Leviathan was still lit up on the server list. However, a popup error stated there was maintenance. There had been no maintenance countdown or message while playing.

Edited by Tsukuri

Hi, playing from the south of France I also have issues...

Quite a good ping (68ms) but changing zone can take minutes, and also when switching character. When logging out a character it can take between a few seconds and 2-3 minutes to get back to the character selection screen, and when logging another character it can also take randomly from 5-10 seconds up to a few minutes to load.

Loading "litigious areas" is also very random (from long time to kick-out).

I hope you'll find the solution soon !

Thanks ;)

I’ve done some testing this morning from Australia to Leviathan & Darth Malgus (for like on like comparison). 

A couple of observations I made.

First

Testing without WTFast and recording using PingPlotter

I have 11 hops to Leviathan & I’m routed through my ISP in Australia direct to Amazon Amsterdam then to Dublin.

I have 21 hops to Darth Malgus & I’m routed through my ISP but to Singapore, then multiple hops in France to Amsterdam and then to Dublin. This adds about 20-30ms extra ping.

In the game. The Ping varies wildly on both servers.
But starts at 270ms for Leviathan & 288-298ms for Darth Malgus. But the ping spikes are outrageous with both jumping up to 450ms & staying between 320-380ms for up to a minute. Which makes it totally unplayable without WTFast. Distance is obviously an issue.

Second

Testing with WTFast after determining best routing from Australia to go through Perth to Amsterdam.

Ping on Leviathan was stable at 266-268ms with the very occasional ping spike to 340ms (maybe once every 2-3 minutes). Definitely playable for story or non competitive/easy group content 

Ping on Darth Malgus started at 286ms and was not as stable at all. Constantly jumping around between 286ms & 420ms (most of the time it settled around 340-370ms).

I would say that the AWS global routing system is far superior for gaming than relying on random backhaul routing that is dependent on commercial agreements between different ISP’s & different regions/companies. 
From what I can tell, it seems my ISP & WTFast have direct connections within Australia to the AWS global routing. 

I think AWS is better than the current system. But distance is still a major issue for ping stability & playability. Players should not need to pay an extra $20-30 a month for WTFast just to play at stable ping. I really hope the swtor team is still moving forward with an AWS server in APAC. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

I think AWS is better than the current system. But distance is still a major issue for ping stability & playability. Players should not need to pay an extra $20-30 a month for WTFast just to play at stable ping. I really hope the swtor team is still moving forward with an AWS server in APAC.

Agreed that those pings are unacceptable. I definitely wouldn't keep playing with that latency tbh. I hope yall get your server, you deserve it.

Thought I'd provide an update going into the upcoming week.

The problem has persisted since yesterday. Today loading into a stronghold takes about two minutes. There were additional server bump-outs yesterday. It all reminds me of how the old servers got stale as the week progressed, plus this extreme lag on top.

Btw I fully support an APAC server opening. Many of my characters were on the original APAC servers. My initial post was to give the SWTOR team a heads up, in case they can get things tweaked with AWS.

Also on the APAC test server, you at least got a fast 10 second countdown before disconnect, but that has not been the case on the live server.

In the meantime, a maintenance reboot might help on Tuesdays. This seemed to help with stale servers before.

5 hours ago, Tsukuri said:

Thought I'd provide an update going into the upcoming week.

The problem has persisted since yesterday. Today loading into a stronghold takes about two minutes. There were additional server bump-outs yesterday. It all reminds me of how the old servers got stale as the week progressed, plus this extreme lag on top.

Btw I fully support an APAC server opening. Many of my characters were on the original APAC servers. My initial post was to give the SWTOR team a heads up, in case they can get things tweaked with AWS.

Also on the APAC test server, you at least got a fast 10 second countdown before disconnect, but that has not been the case on the live server.

In the meantime, a maintenance reboot might help on Tuesdays. This seemed to help with stale servers before.

Might be a good idea to ping Jackie with this feedback. I’m not sure they’re tracking this thread anymore since it was unstickied.

5 hours ago, Tsukuri said:

Interesting.  I didn't see anybody else responding to say they were having problems like yours on Leviathan.  Maybe that is because it's designated as a French speaking server and most French speaking players aren't reading the English language parts of the forums.  In any event I decided to log on to Leviathan and a little while ago I rolled my first character on the server, got my smuggler to level 7, went to Republic Fleet, found the top listed Nar Shaddaa stronghold in the public directory and traveled to it.  I did not have any performance issues going from levels 1-7 nor did I experience any unusual delay with accessing a publicly accessible stronghold.  This is from western U.S.A. with my latency typically running between 160-180 ms.  In summary, I was unable to reproduce the problems you are experiencing.  Hopefully this gets sorted out for you one way or another.

Thanks for the suggestions.

@Char Ell: If you're up at that hour getting ready for work, try logging in 5-7 a.m. U.S. West Coast time. That's when the stronghold travel is worst.

The time of your post is when late night Leviathan players in France go to bed.

In addition to the post made three hours before mine on Sunday, there's this post on the French language forums:

Soucis avec votre cloud !!! (Trouble with your cloud !!!)

Edited by Tsukuri
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2023 at 11:19 PM, Tsukuri said:

@Char Ell: If you're up at that hour getting ready for work, try logging in 5-7 a.m. U.S. West Coast time. That's when the stronghold travel is worst.

The time of your post is when late night Leviathan players in France go to bed.

In addition to the post made three hours before mine on Sunday, there's this post on the French language forums:

Soucis avec votre cloud !!! (Trouble with your cloud !!!)

On the Leviathan server I logged onto my smuggler on Republic Fleet today between 7:20 PM CEST and 7:35 PM CEST and , with 16-22 people showing on Republic Fleet.

Traveled to publicly listed Nar Shaddaa stronghold - approximate load time 7 seconds

Traveled to publicly listed Manaan stronghold - approximate load time 8 seconds

Traveled to publicly listed Coruscant stronghold - approximate load time 8 seconds

Traveled to publicly listed Alderaan stronghold - approximate load time 12 seconds

Traveled to publicly listed Yavin 4 stronghold - approximate load time 6 seconds, return to fleet approximate load time 7 seconds

Traveled to publicly listed Tatooine stronghold - approximate load time 9 seconds, return to fleet approximate load time 8 seconds

Traveled to publicly listed Rishi stronghold - approximate load time 9 seconds, return to fleet approximate load time 9 seconds

Traveled to personal Nar Shaddaa stronghold - approximate load time 6 seconds, return to fleet approximate load time 8 seconds

I do not feel any of these load times I experienced were unusual or excessively long.  I do not know why you and apparently at least one other person playing on Leviathan are having excessive load times.  Maybe it's related to Leviathan's transition to the AWS cloud but it could be something else too.

Hi Char_Ell:

Thanks for giving it another go. Maybe try going from an instance to a stronghold?

For example, one of my guildmates had trouble going from his PVE ship to his stronghold. I first experienced the issue going from a heroic instance on Nar Shaddaa to DK or my stronghold.

I've asked people in my guild, and people from both France and North America are having issues. Shayddow and Khiller have also reported issues in this thread. Rest assured, it is not limited to two people.

PVP was better for me yesterday and today, but everyone is reporting more lag now than before the cloud migration.

Personally, I plan to see if the server gets "stale" again after Saturday.

I would love to have a ping to anywhere that's only double digits.

At this moment (just past 8pm Thursday evening, NZ standard time):

• Leviathan - 309ms on Republic Fleet (10pax)
  • Darth Malgus - 303ms in a stronghold
  • Star Forge - 191ms in a ship
  • Satele Shan - 193ms in a stronghold

The joys of living miles away from anywhere....there's a reason why I don't group, even if I wanted to.

Edited by TziganeNZ
  • Like 1

Just to update (on my personal point of view), I don't have anymore the lag when changing area.

Maybe because I'm back from holidays with an excellent internet connection (and a 27ms ping).

Or it was a temporary issue ;)

We'll see after wednesday's maintenance...

1 hour ago, Khiller said:

Just to update (on my personal point of view), I don't have anymore the lag when changing area.

Maybe because I'm back from holidays with an excellent internet connection (and a 27ms ping).

Or it was a temporary issue ;)

We'll see after wednesday's maintenance...

So you weren’t playing from your usual location 🤦‍♀️ It would have been good if you’d let us know that originally.