SWTOR to begin moving servers to the cloud beginning August 15th!

JackieKo

25 minutes ago, Toraak said:

Cross server would most likely only affect Group Finder activities, and there are a ton of people that do FP's and Ops.

Oh you're talking about SM and casual PvP/PvE. I'm talking about NiM and MM, the and the equivalent endgame for PvP. There are hardly any teams or pugs that run NiM, and its similarly impossible to try to form any type of guild or group challenges for PvP (trust me, I tried last weekend). Those forms of endgame have about 20 people left with all the servers combined. 

It would be quite sad if this wasn't the exact result BioWare intended. 

Edited by septru

44 minutes ago, septru said:

its similarly impossible to try to form any type of guild or group challenges for PvP (trust me, I tried last weekend).

i'm pretty sure those 2 game functions are still unfortunately BUG'd --> https://forums.swtor.com/topic/926879-pvp-challenges-for-skirmish-and-guild-challenge-no-longer-functioning-bug-possibly-as-of-72-challenge-can-be-issued-queue-pops-but-nothing-happens-when-you-click-enter/

No word on whether or not  the next 7.3.1 update will be finally fixing it either. :(

Edited by Nee-Elder

1 hour ago, septru said:

Oh you're talking about SM and casual PvP/PvE. I'm talking about NiM and MM, the and the equivalent endgame for PvP. There are hardly any teams or pugs that run NiM, and its similarly impossible to try to form any type of guild or group challenges for PvP (trust me, I tried last weekend). Those forms of endgame have about 20 people left with all the servers combined. 

It would be quite sad if this wasn't the exact result BioWare intended. 

I'm not saying it couldn't have cross server function for HM/NiM Ops, however I'm not sure how much it would be used for something like that. Most people that run that kind of content do it specifically in Guilds, or groups of players they know the skill level of. 

In theory Broadsword could have cross server work for HM/NiM Ops, however they'd have to make additional categories in Group Finder for those 2 different Difficulty setting.

I'm not sure Cross server would work for this kind of content however because generally speaking it's not pugged very often (if at all) with random people, and you wouldn't know how skilled others may be from the other servers.

As for PvP, there is only 1 PvP system now that ranked was removed, so Cross Server would work fine for PvP, GSF, all forms of FP's (including Master Mode FP's) and Story Mode Ops.

Edited by Toraak

10 hours ago, Lord_Malganus said:

I bet the whole thing results in a huge debacle that's end result is a negative experience for customers.

In many other European, mostly Catholic countries such as Belgium, France, Italy, Croatia, Poland, Portugal and Spain, August 15 (Assumption of Mary) is a national public holiday. The same applies to Austria and some Swiss cantons.

But where does the holiday of the Assumption of Mary come from in France and why is August 15 a public holiday? The origin goes back to the reign of Louis XIII. (1610 - 1643), the son of Henry IV and Maria de Medici. As he and his wife Anne of Austria were having difficulty getting an heir, the king began praying to the Virgin Mary. On August 15th, processions were even organized in the parishes. In 1638, as if by a miracle, little Ludwig, who later became Louis XIV, showed the tip of his nose. Louis XIII decided that August 15 should be a Marian feast in honor of the Virgin Mary.

Those responsible who decided to move the French server to the cloud for the day could easily have found out that it is a public holiday, but they obviously failed to do any research.

2 hours ago, DIVAvonFarstar said:

In many other European, mostly Catholic countries such as Belgium, France, Italy, Croatia, Poland, Portugal and Spain, August 15 (Assumption of Mary) is a national public holiday. The same applies to Austria and some Swiss cantons.

But where does the holiday of the Assumption of Mary come from in France and why is August 15 a public holiday? The origin goes back to the reign of Louis XIII. (1610 - 1643), the son of Henry IV and Maria de Medici. As he and his wife Anne of Austria were having difficulty getting an heir, the king began praying to the Virgin Mary. On August 15th, processions were even organized in the parishes. In 1638, as if by a miracle, little Ludwig, who later became Louis XIV, showed the tip of his nose. Louis XIII decided that August 15 should be a Marian feast in honor of the Virgin Mary.

Those responsible who decided to move the French server to the cloud for the day could easily have found out that it is a public holiday, but they obviously failed to do any research.

Not to be sarcastic but I don't think the French server have enough players for the SWTOR devs to care.

Also to be fair SWTOR is run by US based people, of course they do things in US time.

^ That is what it boils down to. I played FF14 for awhile and living in the United States, I knew what I was getting myself into when it came to downtimes. This is an oversight regarding the France holiday, but considering the downtime in the U.S. is going to be roughly 5am PST and 8am EST, that fits into a normal work day in America. 

1 hour ago, Pirana said:

^ That is what it boils down to. I played FF14 for awhile and living in the United States, I knew what I was getting myself into when it came to downtimes. This is an oversight regarding the France holiday, but considering the downtime in the U.S. is going to be roughly 5am PST and 8am EST, that fits into a normal work day in America. 

They clearly didn't bother even trying to think about trying to find out about whether they scheduled the downtime of the French server on a French public holiday.  And it is scheduled from 2pm to 8pm *French* time, for the *French* server, so...

2 hours ago, eabevella said:

Not to be sarcastic but I don't think the French server have enough players for the SWTOR devs to care.

This is irrelevant.  Bad customer-facing actions are bad no matter how many customers are affected.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

They clearly didn't bother even trying to think about trying to find out about whether they scheduled the downtime of the French server on a French public holiday.  And it is scheduled from 2pm to 8pm *French* time, for the *French* server, so...

This is irrelevant.  Bad customer-facing actions are bad no matter how many customers are affected.

You're not going to get an argument out of me. I know this game's history and nothing they do suprises me. I'm often very critical of the choices that are made here and it is the reason this game is where it is to this day. The time difference is one thing, which I can understand, I'm not getting up in the middle of the night to flip a switch or whatever the transition entails, but choosing this specific day, a holiday, has to baffle one's mind. As I mentioned previously in a sarcastic post, might as well push future updates on Christmas and New Year's as well. This is their M.O.  

Everything seems to be back except Leviathon now.  When I logged in my customised interface had gone but I was able to reload it from the Interface Editor.

I notice we are getting a major upgrade to maps in the next release.  I really hope they do something about map backgrounds as they are more or less unreadable on Hoth.

14 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

I don't buy that *at*all*.  After all, it's a public holiday, not a state secret, and information about it is trivially available on the Internet.  What it tells me is that they didn't even *bother* checking.

I'm really sorry for leviathan players because of the poor choice of date for the downtime.

But in your particular case you exposed the double standard when you judge things now that it affects you.

You know the saying...'Karma is a *****'

Edited by Balameb

1 hour ago, Balameb said:

I'm really sorry for leviathan players because of the poor choice of date for the downtime.

But in your particular case you exposed the double standard when you judge things now that it affects you.

You know the saying...'Karma is a *****'

Except that I would have said much the same thing even if I played exclusively on, say, Darth Malgus, because the problem for the French-resident folks who play on The Leviathan would be the same.  It's just bad planning, and all the insinuations about karma won't change that.

Oh, and karma is a cat.

***Sigh***

This whole thing is so frustrating.  Something tells me that this won't be the only hiccups in the implementation of the entire thing either!  (Not just for the Leviathan ... but everyone else before it's over with)

Edited by OlBuzzard
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Except that I would have said much the same thing even if I played exclusively on, say, Darth Malgus, because the problem for the French-resident folks who play on The Leviathan would be the same.  It's just bad planning, and all the insinuations about karma won't change that.

Oh, and karma is a cat.

Except that your post history shows you searching even for the lamest of excuses to turn down critics or suggestions.

Now that it bother you it is a 'catastrophically bad choice'. That is your double standard.

26 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

As expected 🤷🏻‍♀️

Pretty much!  But to be perfectly candid about it ..  that IS to be expected.  Hopefully it will all be ironed out ASAP.  I would imagine that there is a degree of frustration on their part of this change-over as well.

Edited by OlBuzzard
  • Like 1