How do I avoid romances?

DeCanisLupus

Hello. I know that there are certain conversations that lock me into romances with my companions, and I wanted to know what they are/when they happen, so that I can avoid them. I already have to delete my sage that I put too much effort into cuz I stumbled into the Nadia romance without realizing, and I want to avoid doing that in the future, or if nothing else, head it off at the pass and remake my other characters while they still don't have much in the way of investment.

1 hour ago, LD_Little_Dragon said:

Sounds like some kind of bug then.

No , it sounds like vague accidental user-error ....

16 hours ago, DeCanisLupus said:

I stumbled into the Nadia romance without realizing,

...  due to that ^

OP needs to provide clear steps-to-reproduce, if/when possible, so that there's something SPECIFIC to investigate  within the myriad of convo options & variables for Nadia.

Edited by Nee-Elder
Reason: good luck troubleshooting this
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nee-Elder said:

OP needs to provide clear steps-to-reproduce, if/when possible, so that there's something SPECIFIC to investigate

This.  OMFFFFFFFG this.  "Software developer" has been my day job for almost 35 years(1), and "something didn't work" is the most *useless* bug report ever received by any developer.  OP's comment isn't exactly that, but very close to it.

(1) Yes, most of my colleagues are younger than my career.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

you can also use your ship droid in the class story missions a lot and not the class story line companions a lot is also a option.

and a other thing is not start a talk with then on your ship helps also a lot.

or what also helps is to use the same gender companions you get in the class story line missions also.

Edited by Spikanor

43 minutes ago, DeCanisLupus said:

, but I don't know what I did.

You probably just made a hasty mistake.  It heppens and it's just a video game, so yeah no big whoop.

Plus, without giving away too much *spoilers* here....well... let's just say  you're gonna eventually have some new options if you continue all the way thru  'KOTFE/KOTET' storylines.

( And , as BioWare once famously said: You can always re-roll a new Jedi Sage ALT and replay different dialogs!  :cool: )

Edited by Nee-Elder

3 hours ago, DeCanisLupus said:

I would provide the steps if I knew them, but I don't know what I did. I avoided dialogue option that made me sound like a jackass, then when I rescued her on Corellia, I found out that I was stuck in a romance with Nadia.

Then you had to have picked a flirt option.  There are some convos where 2/3 choices are to (flirt) and the 3rd is to be a jerk.  It's a poor design, but it pops up in some of the other potential romances too.

Not romance, but the same things happens with bounty hunters.  If you don't want to be a Mandalorian then you have to be really insulting to Mandalore.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, DeCanisLupus said:

I would provide the steps if I knew them, but I don't know what I did. I avoided dialogue option that made me sound like a jackass, then when I rescued her on Corellia, I found out that I was stuck in a romance with Nadia.

here is maybe the best tip you can get and its also your best friend also for looking things up if you not know it its your friend google any gamers best friend for looking tips and tricks to avoid mistake's.

1 hour ago, Spikanor said:

here is maybe the best tip you can get and its also your best friend also for looking things up if you not know it its your friend google any gamers best friend for looking tips and tricks to avoid mistake's.

Google has been exactly zero help. When I look up how to avoid romances, I get bombarded with guides on how to complete them.

1 hour ago, LD_Little_Dragon said:

Then you had to have picked a flirt option.  There are some convos where 2/3 choices are to (flirt) and the 3rd is to be a jerk.  It's a poor design, but it pops up in some of the other potential romances too.

I think that all the two-flirt/one-jerk options are in conversations with the female class companions(1) in the Smuggler/Agent/Warrior stories, where male characters have two romance option.

(1) Risha/Akaavi, Jaesa/Vette or Kaliyo/Raina.

33 minutes ago, DeCanisLupus said:

Google has been exactly zero help. When I look up how to avoid romances, I get bombarded with guides on how to complete them.

there are no guide's how to avoid romances in this game since nobody is going to make then in the first place thats why you get zero help.

what you most do is look up how do you get to romace that companion so that you can avoid it to not do it.

if the guide tells you that option 1 and 2 you need to choose for romance that companion then you need to choose option 3 to avoid romance.

same with the dark and light side choose if it tells you most choose the light side for romance you most choose dark side option to avoid romance.

edit: you can always buy a companion from the cartal market and play with that companion a lot and not using the class story companions a lot.

or you can also play 30 unranked warzone pvp match's to get darth hedix unlock as companion since she has also no romance option.

or use old sub rewards companions.

Edited by Spikanor

1 hour ago, DeCanisLupus said:

That's because there isn't any need for a "guide" on how to avoid romance options in SWTOR.

Just don't click ANY  *flirt*  convo options.  Ever.

Guide complete. :csw_r2d2:

Also, see my post reply above ^^  about proceeding further past Class stories into KOTFE/KOTET and most of your concerns/mistakes will be....

Spoiler

rendered moot.

.... As you'll see. :sy_galaxy:

• Like 1

It seems the dialogues with two [Flirt] and one jerk options are the lock-in ones and that taking the jerk option is the only way to completely avoid the romance.

I got locked in the Nadia romance on my first JC because i picked one of the [Flirt] that sounded rather innocent actually and didn't want to pick the jerk option right after what happened to her father, and next convo i was left with 3 [Flirt] options and no way do undo the damage except by restarting the character from scratch, which i did because i actually never intended to romance her.

Doc is similar in that unless you always pick the "I'm a Jedi" option (which in this case isn't a being a jerk one), you end up in the romance with him, even though the [Flirt] you take basically sounds like a "you disgust me and i'd never date you"... No idea why that's even labeled as [Flirt] tbh.

I've read that the romance with Mako is the same too.

It's just the base game romances having a rather poor design.

Both Doc and Theran flirt with you like there's no tomorrow. Holiday may eventually catch on. Sometimes it's okay to be a jerk if it means standing up for yourself. Also, Corso may not be a flirt but he can be extremely irritating if you have no interest in him whatsoever.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/12/2023 at 5:20 PM, LD_Little_Dragon said:

Not romance, but the same things happens with bounty hunters.  If you don't want to be a Mandalorian then you have to be really insulting to Mandalore.

remember somebody doing a cartoon about this with Mako 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2023 at 6:39 PM, SteveTheCynic said:

I think that all the two-flirt/one-jerk options are in conversations with the female class companions(1) in the Smuggler/Agent/Warrior stories, where male characters have two romance option.

(1) Risha/Akaavi, Jaesa/Vette or Kaliyo/Raina.

I guess it's not quite a "jerk" move but if you're a female BH and Torian offers to teach you Mando'a the only options to accept are flirt options, while the non-flirt option is something like "I don't have time to learn a new language" or something to that effect.

It's not *rude* per se, but for a Mando fan it is definitely soul-crushing that my gay Mando BH can't learn the Mando language without being forced into a hetero romance.

• 3 months later...

Just had a strange one happen. Was playing agent, and had every intention to flirt with Raina. I never flirted with Kaliyo, and still got the convo from Raina that I had to choose between her and Kaliyo.

I never chose a flirt option with Kaliyo. The only thing I can possibly think of is that I went out to party with her once, but that was not a flirt option. 

It seems to me that some options in the game was meant to be a flirt option at some time before release, but was later removed, but the game still treats it as a flirt.

When the above happened I was wondering if the game was trolling me. Something is not right with certain choices in the game being treated as Flirt options, even when they are not stated as such...

Edited by Otowi

15 hours ago, Otowi said:

It seems to me that some options in the game was meant to be a flirt option at some time before release, but was later removed, but the game still treats it as a flirt.

I'm pretty sure this is the case.  There are surprisingly few [Flirt] options in the M!Inquisitor/Ashara romance, and several places that seem *obvious* for flirting are not.  (I'm thinking here above all of the conversation with Ashara that contains the first Black Screen of Fornication, where there are no [Flirt] options at all, not even for the path that leads to *her* asking *you* to have sex with her (so she can know what it's like).)

Hecate Dabria; my female smuggler never once flirted with Corso but she still got the flirt option for kids as him in the uncle role. She can not stand Corso, why would she want him as an uncle to her kids?!  My head canon; Hecate is not into guys, so why did she never choose a romance option with Corso, unlike my other female smuggler; Twilight Nightmare.