Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Finally an MMO designed for Gamers.

Klarick

Bioware you managed to put FUN into an MMO.

- Storylines that matter.

- Character Development.

- A game that starts at level 1 and not at the end-cap.

- Balanced PvP.

- Awesome combat (say goodbye to button smashing)

- Companions that actually do something.

From an old-time gamer I salute you.

MMO's=/=story driven games. this is opinionated

- Character Development.

see above

This statement is getting pretty old. Opinionated as well.

- Balanced PvP.

Several abilities are unbalanced. Learn to read skill descriptions. Compare the sorcerer to the jedi sage.

Troll

Troll

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- No incentive for open world pvp, other than ganking low levels.

- Unfinished engine - force medium graphics

- No guild hall

- No guild bank

- No guild based rvr

- Issues with the GCD still remain

* Trooper and Jedi Sentinel have the most known issues.

- Raid frames in warzones are constantly broken.

* At times the limit of 8 players exceed and brings in even more, then you see 10 vs 8 games.

* HP do not always update properly on the raid frame, it keeps it up at max hp, while I see a ally dieing from a gank.

Personally I am waiting for open-beta to end.

And the game came out two weeks ago.

Wow, you'd think with that much time they'd actually do something, right?

Comparing this launch to WoW's which people seem to really like doing here, WoW didn't miss

this many features until they introduced them to the world of course.

Thats not a excuse.

When looking at what the games are out now has and what makes them great, you learn from that.

What did bioware learn? Nothing, and history will show yet again what happens when you don't learn.

- Character Development.

- Balanced PvP.

I agree completely

- Character Development.

I will address these three things all at once since they're all tied in together. The storylines are okay at best, they tend to follow the bioware story formula. (i.e. if somebody doesn't betray your character it would be a bigger twist) The class storys also borrow a lot from other bioware games.

The choices you make have extremely little real impact on the story you are playing through. Sure you might get a letter in the mail with a few credits or a fluff item, but the lions share of choices you make have no impact on the story. For example as a sith you can pretty much insult your superiors all you want and get zero consequences. A true sith lord would kill you where you stand with some of the responses my sith has given.

This bring seques into character development. The only real development given the shallow nature of the 'choices' is your class, your talent points, and your light side dark side points. These things are in every game you play, and offer nothing new and exciting. You may think light side/dark side is new, but it really is not, because its just a fancy reputation meter. You get light or dark points you can get gear to go with it, just like grinding a faction for rep points in any other mmo.

- Balanced PvP.

Different 'mirror' classes have different abilities with different animations making the attacks either faster or more delayed across faction. Even though the server may still calculate the damage the same, there are windows of time the faster animated characters can do things to counter or kill the other before they drop dead from the damage.

(example: Player A and Player B. A has an ability with a small animation and B has a more complex one. Scenario 1: A and B have the same health. A attacks with .5 second animation and kills player B. Scenario 2: B attacks A with same mirror skill but it has 1-1.5 second animation so the result is delayed during the animation. A sees the animation start and uses his instant that only takes .5 seconds in that animation window and both players die. Player A has the clear advantage because of animation mechanics on a class that is supposed to be a 'mirror') I have seen this example play out and experienced it myself.

The combat is fun to watch i'll give it that, but a lot of the mechanics need reworked because sometimes the animations can be a hindrance.

They do add something extra to the story. Gameplay wise theyre a pet and nothing more. The companion crafting system also just serves to trivialize crafting even more than the poor overall design of it already does.

If you want true development of your character you should either RP or play a table top game, otherwise youre gonna be rails no matter what video game you play.

- Character Development.

- Balanced PvP.

Fanboy says what?

I hate to insult, but are you like level 1? PvP is NOT balanced, and the combat system is horrible with the skill lag.

Companions are decent... They mostly get in my darn way.

I'll agree with the other points, but those are such few points, in proportion to ALL the flaws. Don't pat them on the backs too much.. They have a ton more work to do

Fanboy says what?

I hate to insult, but are you like level 1? PvP is NOT balanced, and the combat system is horrible with the skill lag.

Companions are decent... They mostly get in my darn way.

I'll agree with the other points, but those are such few points, in proportion to ALL the flaws. Don't pat them on the backs too much.. They have a ton more work to do

Negative-Hater says what?

How'd you get the word fanboy from his viewpoint? Expect everyone to just agree with your narrow hatefilled view?

No MMO has true balance, and if you think any do, you are naive. Classes will always be mismatched.

Edited by SalviusAurelius

MMO's=/=story driven games. this is opinionated

Yes but he's saying that this one is fun because of it. So my response to you is, so?

- Character Development.

see above

Again, so?

This statement is getting pretty old. Opinionated as well.

Yes, it's an opinion. Broken record?

- Balanced PvP.

Several abilities are unbalanced. Learn to read skill descriptions. Compare the sorcerer to the jedi sage.

That's your example of unbalanced PvP? Are you even trying.

Troll

No, quite seriously you're projecting here.

Troll

Definitely projecting. He's saying he likes companions and you say he's a troll. You lost all the credibility you never had.

- Character Development.

- Balanced PvP.

Aye, I know what you mean, this is the first MMO that's actually re-awakened something of the sense of wonder of my first MMO experience.

Which is mad, because lots of the anti- comments are correct - FORMALLY correct. There are lots of boxes this game doesn't tick, or only buggily.

But somehow, it doesn't seem to matter, somehow BioWare have recaptured the essence of certain aspects of MMORPGs that have become almost forgotten in the drive to easy-to-get-into lobby/arena MMOs - a sense of lore, roleplay, story, shared wonder.

Edited by gurugeorge

Yep, finally an MMO to delight the farmville generation. I mean, there are like action bars, talking NPCs and stuffs... "Gamers" played WoW+KOTOR back in 2005 or so, with more features and fewer bugs.

Farmville generation? Really? You can do better than that LOL.

- Character Development.

- Balanced PvP.

I agree with this! I have been playing MMO's since EQ's launch and I am having a very good time.

As someone that likes SWTOR, I still have to beg to differ with the OP.

I won't nail each point I disagree with, as many are doing that already, but SWTOR is not a game for gamers, it is a game for role-players. There is a distinct difference. The game chose to omit many of that things that the gamers want in an MMO.

It did, however, cater to the role-players just fine in the way of story; and yet still dropped the ball entirely in simple things like being able to interact with the environment (like sitting in chairs, something that even older games like SWG or WoW pulled off).

I'm more role-player than gamer, myself. What I mean by that is that I really don't play console games or regular video games, and I play MMOs for the social aspect. No, I don't stand around in an MMO and actually role-play in game. My role-playing is done in the old-fashioned, table-top RPG sense every Monday night, and has been for over 20 years.

But SWTOR is not a game for gamers, by any stretch.

Edited by Jumajin

QFT

Ive played mmos since pre tram UO..... this is the funnest ive had in an mmo since then.... of course nothing will ever compare to pre tram UO.....

Are you serious?! How can you even compare this lazy attempt at a WoW clone to pre-Trammel UO? I understand being a fan of the game but this is taking it to the next level.

I won't nail each point I disagree with, as many are doing that already, but SWTOR is not a game for gamers, it is a game for role-players. There is a distinct difference. The game chose to omit many of that things that the gamers want in an MMO.

It did, however, cater to the role-players just fine in the way of story; and yet still dropped the ball entirely in simple things like being able to interact with the environment (like sitting in chairs, something that even older games like SWG or WoW pulled off).

I'm more role-player than gamer, myself. What I mean by that is that I really don't play console games or regular video games, and I play MMOs for the social aspect. No, I don't stand around in an MMO and actually role-play in game. My role-playing is done in the old-fashioned, table-top RPG sense every Monday night, and has been for over 20 years.

Explain. There is combat, challenge, progression. All things gamers enjoy

Yep, finally an MMO to delight the farmville generation. I mean, there are like action bars, talking NPCs and stuffs... "Gamers" played WoW+KOTOR back in 2005 or so, with more features and fewer bugs.

I was enjoying rpg's long before KOTOR, and find this MMO quite fun. Compared to Curse of the Azure Bonds, this is a blast!

- No incentive for open world pvp, other than ganking low levels.

- Unfinished engine - force medium graphics

- No guild hall

- No guild bank

- No guild based rvr

- Issues with the GCD still remain

* Trooper and Jedi Sentinel have the most known issues.

- Raid frames in warzones are constantly broken.

* At times the limit of 8 players exceed and brings in even more, then you see 10 vs 8 games.

* HP do not always update properly on the raid frame, it keeps it up at max hp, while I see a ally dieing from a gank.

Personally I am waiting for open-beta to end.

-world pvp is worthless, stop wishing for it

-seems finished to me as it's making the game run

-guild starships are coming

-and? what would you put in it exactly?

-who cares? (minus you)

can't comment on the rest as I haven't either a) experienced those issues or b) don't play those classes.

I'd say it's not good for role-players at all, given it defines the role and like you say provides you with very little of what role-players typically demand. But that asides, are role-players not gamers? I'm still waiting on that other guy to define "gamer" from before. He doesn't seem to be able to.

Is this just another case of trying to apply social tiers to a group of people? Gamers play games, this is a game. People play it, they're gamers. It's no more complicated than that.

BIOWARE is great about keeping metrics and statistics and the such. Hopefully they are well aware that only very few whiny babies play the forum game.

See Raph Koster's, "Players who post, posters who play". He wrote it during the NGE, and it's delightful.

http://www.raphkoster.com/2006/10/05/players-who-post-posters-who-play/

I'm reading this now. Very interesting. TY.