Free names of toons that have not been played for > 5 years

StrikePrice

38 minutes ago, StrikePrice said:

Handle it like a name collision. Next time they log in (yuck yuck), they have to change their name. 

No.  Unlock the name so someone else can have it, but only take it away if someone else does use it.  Do not take a name away **just** because the character hasn't logged on in a while.

• Like 5

The rules employed for the 2013 name renewal.  This is, to date, the only time that they have done a name renewal / release, what-ever-you-want-to-call-it, etc.  They did not do a name release (whatever) in 2017 with the United Forces server merges.  That was a name collision approach with various rules for which character took priority.

On 11/6/2013 at 11:39 AM, EricMusco said:

Here are the exact rules for Character Name Renewal:

If you are a Free-to-Play player:

• If your character is below level 10, and you have not played that character in the last 60 days, your character will be flagged for rename.
  • If your character is below level 30, and you have not played that character in the last 120 days, your character will be flagged for rename.
  • Characters level 30 and above will be unaffected.

If you are a Preferred Status player:

• If your character is below level 10, and you have not played that character in the last 90 days, your character will be flagged for rename
  • If your character is below level 30, and you have not played that character in the last 180 days, your character will be flagged for rename.
  • Characters level 30 and above will be unaffected.

If you are or become a Subscriber:

• You will be unaffected by this

I do think it is time for another name renewal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's an alt heavy game, I don't think this would free up as many names as you think. 

There is a difference between an inactive account, and an inactive character.

I have toons I rarely play now, but if bioware threatens to 'unlock' the names I'll just make sure I log into each and every one regularly.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, LD_Little_Dragon said:

It's an alt heavy game, I don't think this would free up as many names as you think. 

There is a difference between an inactive account, and an inactive character.

I have toons I rarely play now, but if bioware threatens to 'unlock' the names I'll just make sure I log into each and every one regularly.

there used to be 2.8m subs before they dipped and many multiples more of free accounts created, that havent been used in literally a decade+ so it would free a lot of names. since the population compared to then is so miniscule

4 hours ago, StrikePrice said:

Handle it like a name collision. Next time they log in (yuck yuck), they have to change their name. 

Agreed.  If a character has not been used in 5 years, hell 7 or 8 if you are worried about returning players, then free up the name.

I had to change a couple after server merges too

NO!

You MAY not STEAL my names just because you can not think of one for your self. They are MY characters name and you CANNOT have them. Just because I have not played a character in a while does not give you the right to STEAL my name...

Your Lack of Imagination is NOT my Fault!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

36 minutes ago, denavin said:

NO!

You MAY not STEAL my names just because you can not think of one for your self. They are MY characters name and you CANNOT have them. Just because I have not played a character in a while does not give you the right to STEAL my name...

They aren't yours. They belong to the game. You forfeit them by not playing. Sorry. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

No.  Unlock the name so someone else can have it, but only take it away if someone else does use it.  Do not take a name away **just** because the character hasn't logged on in a while.

I agree with that. If I want to use a particular name already taken, that name only frees up when I attempt to acquire it, not just because xxx time has elapsed.

1 hour ago, StrikePrice said:

They aren't yours. They belong to the game. You forfeit them by not playing. Sorry. 

Certainly not yours either.

We live in a age where BW can access data from any account. As such can easily see which accounts are active.

Even then in gen chat as well as on these forums we regularly get returning players who claim they have not played in years as in 5+. These have every right to return to the game and find there account untouched.  

More to the point the only names the vast majority of you asking for this are players who want variation of actual Star Wars characters. If that's it, then I don't think you have an auto right to someone's else's name.  Not that I think much of the original player for naming there character in that way to begin with. That does not change the fact they got it first.

2 hours ago, denavin said:

NO!

Character names aren't a given right. How they are treated depends completely on the game publisher's attitude toward them. Name purges have happened elsewhere.

https://mmohuts.com/news/tera-preparing-inactive-character-name-purge/

https://www.aroged.com/2022/11/24/wow-new-nickname-purge-names-of-inactive-characters-released-again/

Someone proposed something like this when the topic was discussed before: giving serial number/code in the background for every toon so you can make a toon with the displayed name "Luke Obi", I can make a toon with the displayed name "Luke Obi", but yours will be "Luke Obi 001" and mine will be "Luke Obi 002" in the system.

But I guess it will mean trolls mimicking famous players and scams and that's not something BW want nor has the resources to deal with.

PS: I know you probably can't name a toon "Luke Obi" in game but I don't have imagination.

6 hours ago, StrikePrice said:

If the person is a subscriber, it shouldn't matter whether they have logged into that character.  They are still a subscriber; therefore, the name should remain untouchable, whether they have played that particular character and for some to post they are a subscriber.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, StrikePrice said:

They are MY characters I PAY for them monthly their names are Mine not YOURS....

You can NOT steal my characters names.

Your inability to think of a name and your lack of imagine is not my fault or problem.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, denavin said:

They are MY characters I PAY for them monthly their names are Mine not YOURS....

Your inability to think of a name and your lack of imagine is not my fault or problem.

you pay for premium access to the servers and unlocked perks for a sub. you certainly do not own your characters. the publisher/bioware owns them they can flag them for a name change, you buy a name change. if you get banned you cant access those characters cause they aint yours. if the game shuts down where do those characters go? the void. you wont keep them. etc etc. 

its time for a name release for sure

1 hour ago, casirabit said:

If the person is a subscriber, it shouldn't matter whether they have logged into that character.  They are still a subscriber; therefore, the name should remain untouchable, whether they have played that particular character and for some to post they are a subscriber.

I agree with this. If they are a subscriber, paying a monthly dole even if they are not playing, they are still adding to the resources the game has at it's disposal. A paying customer should never lose their names no matter how much time has past since they played the character.

Otherwise, what's the point of the person paying for the subscription? If people are paying a subscription, even if they are not playing, they are still helping the game.

• Thanks 1

As long as a player is a subscriber, all names on the account remain locked, irrelevant if the person hasn't logged in on a specific alt for more than five years, name remains locked. Now, if a person hasn't played in five years, then sure, name purge. I think we've had two name purges that I can remember, one was the consolidation of servers, pretty sure there was another one too. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, denavin said:

You don’t own a character name, man. It’s not your IP or something. 

6 hours ago, denavin said:

The characters you play are not yours, you're renting them, nothing more, you can put in over a million hours on one alt and it wouldn't change the fact that you do not own any of them. As long as you're active, your names will almost certainly never change, unless you decide to change them.

This game at one point had over two hundred servers, it's now down to a handful. EAWare can sugarcoat their 'megaserver' all they want, this game has a limited population now. So the odds of consolidating what's left here are slim and none. Stay active and you will not lose your names.

22 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

I played for the first 18 months the game went live.  I came back in September 2021 basically because I was curious if my characters were still here.  I don’t have any names that are variations of canon, but oddly it was the truly made-up names that had to be changed when I returned.  The characters I played the most were still there with original names.  Everyone was fairly high level and most were at 50.

One name was flagged for renaming, but when I loaded it, the rename flag cleared and it stayed unchanged.  When the flag cleared, I didn’t even have the option to change names.

I have no idea what drove the name change flags, as the account was dormant during many game changes and server merges.

I must have spent 30 minutes typing out names the other day.   Many of them I thought for sure no one could have used.  I was wrong.

You can always use a last name then turn off the legacy title.  Feels lame though, the name doesn't show up correctly in chat.

Not a good substitute.

• Like 1

I make most of my new toons with a "last" name now.

I can pretty easily create new one name toons, on the servers where I have room for more toons, but a great many of them wind up with the same last name.

They don't always "sound" good, but sometimes they do.

Elora

Elora Danan

Elora Sool

Sadato

Sadato Sool

A few variations of Crash Override and Acid Burn

Mulder / Scully

So many names

I feel sorry for your lack of imagination.

I have created 3 new character in the last 4 months and created a unique name for each one on the first try.

There is no shortage of names. Only a shortage of creativity.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2023 at 6:27 PM, StrikePrice said:

No.  I will pay real money to keep all the names of my 70+ alts forever if I have to.

• Like 1