Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

...like butter scraped over too much bread

hillerbees

Will the potential addition of an additional server make the SWTOR global population feel like Bilbo Baggins in LOTR.

If it dilutes the population per server will the game as a whole suffer?  I know Australian players would welcome a server more in keeping with their time zone and producing better performance but will this mean we lose one of the other servers to accomodate it?

19 minutes ago, TonyTricicolo said:

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!

In other words, business as usual around this forum 😎🫢

I doubt that the extra server will pull much population from the existing ones. The APAC players will be happy, but European players will not go there, the lag is insane from here. I of course cant answer for the Reptile Republic, but I doubt many reptile humans will migrate to the APAC server either.

Edited by MortenJessen

2 hours ago, hillerbees said:

Will the potential addition of an additional server make the SWTOR global population feel like Bilbo Baggins in LOTR.

If it dilutes the population per server will the game as a whole suffer?  I know Australian players would welcome a server more in keeping with their time zone and producing better performance but will this mean we lose one of the other servers to accomodate it?

They had the servers at the start. They just did not have enough players. I bet they had more players at the server merge than they do now so....

I could be wrong, but due to the way server mergers were handled and the fact that the west coast US used to have separate servers, I believe a good chunk of the APAC players are on Satele Shan. This is a bit concerning to me, as SS already seems to be the less populous of the two US servers. I don't think it is too small, but it really doesn't need a population drain IMHO. 

But who knows what Bioware is planning to do with the servers; this may be a non-issue. Another popular game I play (FFXIV) that had a lot of super crowded servers recently opened APAC servers and I've heard that they still have a rather low population. I'd be very surprised if Bioware opened a new server just for the APAC region.

5 hours ago, hillerbees said:

Hi, I'll plead complete ignorance on this one. Has there been any word that the server count will somehow change in the near future that the player population distribution has suddenly become something to ponder?

10 minutes ago, hillerbees said:

Is it possible that they will migrate us all onto a single Cloud server and close down the physical servers?  I am not techy so I don't know if thisis even a thing!

Since cloud servers need to be in a physical place (though they can be moved around as often as needed), which is what determines ping and responsiveness, any consolidation of servers to a single server would make the performance worse for a lot of players. If it was in the US then European and APAC players would see much worse ping and performance. If it was placed in Europe, it would be US and APAC players that suffered. If it was placed in Asia, US and European players would see their performance degraded. Worst case would probably be one US, one European, and one APAC server, though the language servers do present a bit of a problem. Most likely nothing will change other than potentially adding an APAC server if the costs benefit works out.

If they could add cross-server queues, a lower population server would mostly work fine. Latency may be a problem unless they can afford some kind of leased line setup. Basically, it's a direct connection between two endpoints. The latency between them is negligible, and players only have to connect to their local endpoint. From each player's perspective, it's like connecting to a local server, so 50-100ms max latency if you're in the same country as the endpoint.

12 hours ago, hillerbees said:

Is it possible that they will migrate us all onto a single Cloud server and close down the physical servers?  I am not techy so I don't know if thisis even a thing!

Migrating everything over to cloud is probably the goal, if everything works as intended on the test server, but the servers will remain separate.

As outlined in the article, hosting stuff in the cloud allows for quicker hardware upgrades, better connectivity (datacenters are strategically distributed across the world and connected to ultra-fast fiber optics), etc.

Edited by Aries_cz

18 hours ago, hillerbees said:

Maybe consider how many APAC players would come back to play on an APAC server.
Compared to how little of us are left playing the game since the APAC & then west coast servers were closed, you aren’t going to lose many from the current servers. 
And if the game would be in that much trouble if we moved to another server, then maybe it’s time for BioWare to merge SF & SS 🤷🏻‍♀️

15 hours ago, akdonkey said:

They had the servers at the start. They just did not have enough players. I bet they had more players at the server merge than they do now so....

That’s absolutely not true.

We had 3 servers & only one was having a slight issue.

Merging all 3 would have given us more players than SS & SF have combine at the moment. 

So please, don’t spread incorrect information. You will do more harm than good.

9 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

That’s absolutely not true.

We had 3 servers & only one was having a slight issue.

Merging all 3 would have given us more players than SS & SF have combine at the moment. 

So please, don’t spread incorrect information. You will do more harm than good.

Since you seem to have all the answers enlighten us with your sources so that we may fact-check as well.

Dalborra, Gav Daragon and Master Dar'Nala was the 3 original Asia Pacific servers. They were actually very heavy or full. When they closed, most migrated to US West coast servers, and buffed them for quite some time. Well, what happened next was a sad story of SWTOR losing over a million subs over about a year, and the resulting server merge (the first one, Aug. 13, 2013). How many APAC players that are left now, I dont know. But there was quite many back in the days. Considering that servers at launch had a limit of 4000 players each. But not all could nor would play at the same time, I say that 12k is not unreasonable as a minimum number of APAC players. Considering the sorry state of the game right now with less than 100k subscribers, divided between 5 servers, she could be quite close with her claim.

Its a fair point that an APAC server might bring back or entice new players in the Southern hemisphere....lets hope so.  And there is still an appetite for people with consoles to somehow get involved in the game.  I don't see the game failing at present and hope for its well being but I don't understand for the life of me why the devs have to be so quiet instead of having open communications with their current player base.

Some of the devs claim to play the game themselves, even the odd Twitch stream discussing with players what they are up to on a social level in the game would at least show that the game has a pulse if nothing else.

5 hours ago, akdonkey said:

Since you seem to have all the answers enlighten us with your sources so that we may fact-check as well.

At least on APAC-related stuff their word is basically canon imo. They don't need sources, they are the source. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.