Bioware, please release metrics on how much the new travel tax removes after the first week

remylion

2 hours ago, remylion said:

I support the new travel fee and I'm extremely curious how many credits this is removing the first week of release.

They would need to include information on how many credits were created in the game during the same period to get a true picture of if this is working. Just today I spent 20K on Quick travel but generated over 500K (with lvl 80 characters). That's a net increase in credits of 480K (not really much different than 500K) just from one player for one day.

7 hours ago, remylion said:

I support the new travel fee and I'm extremely curious how many credits this is removing the first week of release.

You're in the minority. It's wrong, pure and simple, to charge for Quick Travel once it's been opened up, especially for those of us who paid REAL MONEY (AKA via Cartel Coins purchased) to be able to eliminate the time and credit cost of traveling! We're now having half of the service we paid for removed for no good reason at all. 

• Like 1

They don't release that kind of information. But you can guestimate some values.

Want to be super optimistic? Considering this is new patch week, new seasons, lets say... 20k unique users per day per server? about using QT 20 times = 400k QT. If we consider 2500 average cost that will give you 1Bill per day. Aka: nothing(*)

In terms of generation vs sink: We don't need to estimate unique users or watever too see is a tiny number. Unless you QT around for fun it will take a player several hours to spend 50k credits (20x2500) on QTs. How many NEW credits (loot+rewards) do a lvl 80 get playing during that time?

Still need to see how low 50k is for this economy? in a year a player doing that much on average every single day will still burn less than 20 million credits. The 8% GTN tax of a SINGLE cartel pack burns a lot more than that. Imagine if every hypercrate sold were to pay 8% tax, with only two sales per day they would have burned more than the most optimistic case for this joke.

So, we can be optimistic in how much it burns and it will be too low in terms of current economy. Tiny credit sinks(from the perspective of end game) can only be good to make adjustments to something that is close to balanced. SWTOR economy is not balanced, not by far.

Let it sink to you head, there are TOO MANY credits already in the game, and that amount is so big that even after they nerfed credit generation big time with 7.0 we still got massive inflation in the last year.

Small tax/cost , that even targets an utility that has always been free to use, won't work to combat inflation specially when you are in (or too close) to hyper inflation.

We need bigger and smarter credit sinks on top of fixing bot heaven craft meta and the artificial need(for lazy people) of high amounts from credit sellers; then BW can look into balance with tiny sinks.

54 minutes ago, Diamaht said:

Wait I thought this didn't matter because it didn't remove any money from anyone.  If this doesn't do anything why do we have all caps posts about it?

The problem is not having a new credit sink, is having the wrong new credit sink. MMOs have cost to travel, SWTOR too, it is called taxi. QT is a convenience that you unlock (*) to save repetivive travel and some time.

(*)1st level is now included, but it used to cost. I actually paid with CC for it.

Also, it is poorly implemented because is priced based on end game planets. This cost only annoys people while solving nothing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Balameb said:

Also, it is poorly implemented because is priced based on end game planets.

Being based solely on distance without even taking the location's place in the game's timeline was a huge mistake.  Honestly the whole thing is a mistake, but if they felt it absolutely necessary to tax QT it should have been based on a pro-rated cooldown with the same price-range instead of being based on distance.  So first QT is 100 credits regardless of distance, then goes to 5k at the start of the cooldown but decreases gradually over the 10 minute period.  So they get their travel tax from the people using it the most, and people leveling don't get completely screwed in the process just so they can get to the quest giver.

On 3/31/2023 at 3:25 AM, CarpeSangrea said:

if they felt it absolutely necessary to tax QT it should have been based on a pro-rated cooldown with the same price-range instead of being based on distance.  So first QT is 100 credits regardless of distance, then goes to 5k at the start of the cooldown but decreases gradually over the 10 minute period

This is basically what ESO does, except that it's only for "arbitrary location to Wayshrine" (the only in-planet QT we have outside of Heroic Transports).  If you travel from an arbitrary location to one of your houses, that's free but triggers the cooling increase, while if you use a wayshrine to travel to another wayshrine (or to The Harborage), that's always free and has no effect on the increase.

you know i was on belsavis with my asssasin and saw i had to pay 3k to quick travel back to a base and i said to myself, no i will not pay this since i lvled my legacy to the required lvl to unlock the cooldown decrease  legacy uinlock and then paid 800k credits to get QT cooldown down to 0 and now biofail wants to make me pay extra on top of this no just no.

On 3/30/2023 at 5:52 PM, lordnortamos said:

If it doesn't take credits off the richest players

But it does. It takes credits away from everyone, and most of all high level players who have unlocked instant QT. I don't get why some people here are white-knighting for new players, when those are the ones who will notice the QT fees the least. You can quick travel only once per hour (?) without the legacy unlock, and only to places you've been before. When leveling, you practically never use QT, you use taxis, which have always cost credits. And once you've progressed far enough to actually use QT more, you have enough credits anyway.

Yes, QT fees aren't gonna solve inflation and we definitely need bigger sinks, preferably things people want to spend credits on. But QT fees are a reasonable measure to at least do something against the ever-increasing amount of credits. I think some people are just upset for the sake of it.

33 minutes ago, Whykara said:

But it does. It takes credits away from everyone, and most of all high level players who have unlocked instant QT. I don't get why some people here are white-knighting for new players, when those are the ones who will notice the QT fees the least. You can quick travel only once per hour (?) without the legacy unlock, and only to places you've been before. When leveling, you practically never use QT, you use taxis, which have always cost credits. And once you've progressed far enough to actually use QT more, you have enough credits anyway.

Yes, QT fees aren't gonna solve inflation and we definitely need bigger sinks, preferably things people want to spend credits on. But QT fees are a reasonable measure to at least do something against the ever-increasing amount of credits. I think some people are just upset for the sake of it.

i wanted to highlight the bolded, but that was changed by bioware, the new cooldown for QT is by default 6 minutes and with the legacy unlock to reduce it to 0.

4 hours ago, elimatorxv said:

you know i was on belsavis with my asssasin and saw i had to pay 3k to quick travel back to a base and i said to myself, no i will not pay this since i lvled my legacy to the required lvl to unlock the cooldown decrease  legacy uinlock and then paid 800k credits to get QT cooldown down to 0 and now biofail wants to make me pay extra on top of this no just no.

you paid 600,00.

• Legacy Travel I reduces the cooldown timer 2 minutes for 100,000
  • Legacy Travel II reduces the cooldown timer 2 minutes for 200,000
  • Legacy Travel III reduces the cooldown timer 2 minutes for 300,000

What you paid for was the reduction in the quick travel timer from the starting cooldown of 6 minutes to having no cooldown at all.

You still have the zero cooldown and I am sorry if 100-5,000 credits is too expensive for you.

I suggest interacting with the player to player economy. I'm a pretty new player and already have close to 5 billion credits. I started a month ago? I love playing economies in MMOs more than playing the actual game, but there is no way I should have nearly 5% of my legacy banks credit cap in such a short time.

Edited by remylion

You guys paid for the QT CD reduction. You still have it, BW has taken nothing from you. If you can't afford to pay peanuts for QT, I have an advice for you:

1. Subscribe. (Congratulations! Since you post on forums, you already are.)

2. Use your complimentary CC to buy something on the CM. Pretty much anything.

3. Sell it for hundreds of millions or even billions of credits.

4. Use them to cover the QT costs for rest of your, your children, your grandchildren, etc. life.

Edited by black_pyros
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, black_pyros said:

You guys paid for the QT CD reduction. You still have it, BW has taken nothing from you. If you can't afford to pay peanuts for QT, I have an advice for you:

1. Subscribe. (Congratulations! Since you post on forums, you already are.)

2. Use your complimentary CC to buy something on the CM. Pretty much anything.

3. Sell it for hundreds of millions or even billions of credits.

4. Use them to cover the QT costs for rest of your, your children, your grandchildren, etc. life.

But BW has taken away the free quick travel from us.  If it had a cost associated with it from the launch of the game then we would be used to it.  

1 minute ago, Darcmoon said:

But BW has taken away the free quick travel from us.  If it had a cost associated with it from the launch of the game then we would be used to it.  

Oh guys, get real. You can use your complimentary CC to become a billionaire overnight. It's like if a RL billionaire riding his Ferrari suddenly had to start to pay a 3 dollar toll riding a road that was free yesterday and whined about it. Just get real.

but there is no way I should have nearly 5% of my legacy banks credit cap in such a short time.

Core problem right here for the high prices on the GTN. It is far too easy (and far to cheap) to acquire huge numbers of credits in the player to player economy (and is also what drives the credit seller problem). At the very least, the GTN tax should be increased 1% and all transactions between players should have a transaction fee based on the value of the exchange (even if its only something as simple as 10K per transaction when only items are exchanged or 8% if credits are involved). If the top end of the GTN is raised, it should be done in 1B credit increments a few months apart and each of those new brackets should have an addition 2% tax (11% at 2B, 13% at 3B, 14% at 4B, etc) in addition to the base 1% tax increase. That would have far more impact on bringing the in-game economy under control that any "travel tax" ever will.

23 minutes ago, black_pyros said:

Oh guys, get real. You can use your complimentary CC to become a billionaire overnight. It's like if a RL billionaire riding his Ferrari suddenly had to start to pay a 3 dollar toll riding a road that was free yesterday and whined about it. Just get real.

And what if BW decided to charge us everytime we logged into a toon or entered a FP, OP or any instanced area?  How about if they charged whenever we had a loading screen?  That would take money out of the economy and we could 'afford' it.  That doesn't mean players wouldn't be unhappy about it.  It also would not make it the right thing to do.

21 minutes ago, Darcmoon said:

And what if BW decided to charge us everytime we logged into a toon or entered a FP, OP or any instanced area?  How about if they charged whenever we had a loading screen?  That would take money out of the economy and we could 'afford' it.  That doesn't mean players wouldn't be unhappy about it.  It also would not make it the right thing to do.

As long as it's peanuts and BW don't inform me, I wouldn't even notice. 😂

On 3/30/2023 at 2:37 PM, CarpeSangrea said:

It hasn't removed any from me because I just stopped using quick travel.  Despite being able to afford it I refuse to be nickel-and-dimed to use a feature I already payed extra for.  This was a really stupid move on EAWare's part.

I'm doing the same, just with the fleet pass, which I've upgraded, long ao, to have the absolutely minimum cool down possible.  When I'm on my SH and would normally click the exit to fleet, now I use fleet pass.    

I can for sure afford the stupid 120cr....but that's not the point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darev said:

I'm doing the same, just with the fleet pass, which I've upgraded, long ao, to have the absolutely minimum cool down possible.  When I'm on my SH and would normally click the exit to fleet, now I use fleet pass.    

Nope, I'm an idiot.

Exit to Fleet versus Fleet Pass. Yeah that is good way to bypass it. The good thing is they aren't charging people to visit their strongholds like originally planned. It's annoying logging out in your stronghold and logging back in and finding yourself on fleet in the departure area where you can't even teleport out of. You have to walk out then up the elevator, then you can finally return to your stronghold.

Edited by remylion

They aren't going to release any meaningful metrics, which to be meaningful would have to include the total number of credits in-game, the amount of credits added during the time period, the amount of credits removed during the time period, and historical data showing the ratio of average added credits versus average removed credits.

The QT costs could have removed billions of credits, and yet still be ineffectual if there are thousands of times that amount of credits circulating in-game and or if the generation of credits was orders of magnitude higher.

18 hours ago, Darev said:

+1