Done with CM until prices come down or they up the Cap on GTN

CKNORTH

Stuff worth over 1b is sort of dumb AF dealing with people and trying to sell stuff at market price is a headache, and a rip. Tossing all my crap over 1b for 1b on the GTN and i'm done, all I will use the GTN is selling crafting mats or the odd epic loot. Sorry EA but the more you snooze on the issue of credit inflation price gouging and lack of direction towards raising the cap on the GTN which is as simple as adding a few 0's to peoples Cap is redick. 

Edited by CKNORTH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a good idea but it might backfire. For example, a Tobus Balmorra cruiser ( small red mount) might get listed with 2 b in GTN, which would be preposterous, because it is not worth that kind of money, actually no mount is worth that kind of money since they offer nothing different and you can be knocked off by a - insert low lvl mob here- no matter which mount you're using.

2 hours ago, CKNORTH said:

raising the cap on the GTN which is as simple as adding a few 0's to peoples Cap is redick. 

No, it's not that simple.  The cap in our wallets is a curiously unrounded 4294967295 credits.  Well, it's unrounded in decimal.  In binary, however, it's 11111111111111111111111111111111, the binary equivalent of a bunch of nines.  Specificially, there are 32 "1" digits in there, which says that somewhere (probably multiple somewheres), the player-wallet amount is stored in a 32-bit variable.  Changing that (especially the database part) is non-trivial.

2 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

No, it's not that simple.  The cap in our wallets is a curiously unrounded 4294967295 credits.  Well, it's unrounded in decimal.  In binary, however, it's 11111111111111111111111111111111, the binary equivalent of a bunch of nines.  Specificially, there are 32 "1" digits in there, which says that somewhere (probably multiple somewheres), the player-wallet amount is stored in a 32-bit variable.  Changing that (especially the database part) is non-trivial.

Hopefully, under 64-bit, 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 will be the new norm.

1 hour ago, xordevoreaux said:

Hopefully, under 64-bit, 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 will be the new norm.

Not if the database column is declared to be a 32-bit value.  And not if the internal types for player money are individually declared as specifically 32-bit.

And no, I don't know either way.

And neither do any of us players.

4 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Not if the database column is declared to be a 32-bit value.  And not if the internal types for player money are individually declared as specifically 32-bit.

There'd be zero reason to move to a 64-bit platform and preserve the entire code base declared in 32 bit field types.

Edited by xordevoreaux

5 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Would be tragic comedy if that happens.

I hope not. I'll still hope for a raise of the Inventory and GTN cap after the game moves to 64-bit.

I just want a transparent safe market space with a clear list of buying options...

5 hours ago, ronin_chi_lao said:

A googolplex is plenty of headroom :D

Still have a hard time believing that's an actual number, but it is.*

*Ten to the googolth power, which is itself ten to the hundredth power, if anyone's wondering. I actually looked it up. The original coiner actually defined a 'googolplex' as "One, followed by writing zeroes until you get tired", amusingly enough.

16 hours ago, xordevoreaux said:

There'd be zero reason to move to a 64-bit platform and preserve the entire code base declared in 32 bit field types.

There's at least one reason, best expressed as "if you touch that piece of code, you broke it", and the costs necessary to test it, and the inability of BioWare (or any other software developer, whether or not it's for games) to test their software *before* release on every single weird combination of weird hardware, oddball almost-malware, googoo browser bars, and partially corrupted OS installs.  (Sorry, some software houses make software for specified *exact* combinations of hardware, and they *can* test on all of them, but it's still expensive.)

And there are always big risks (unknown unknowns) if they have to change the data type on a database column (e.g. "CharacterWalletCredits").  It *should* just work, and the risks live in that word "should", and especially in the fact that it isn't "will".

7 hours ago, turbomagnus said:

Still have a hard time believing that's an actual number, but it is.*

*Ten to the googolth power, which is itself ten to the hundredth power, if anyone's wondering. I actually looked it up. The original coiner actually defined a 'googolplex' as "One, followed by writing zeroes until you get tired", amusingly enough.

And if you wanted to write it down by scratching each zero on the side of a subatomic particle, you'd run out of subatomic particles long before you ran out of zeroes to write.

1 hour ago, SteveTheCynic said:

There's at least one reason, best expressed as "if you touch that piece of code, you broke it", and the costs necessary to test it,

Bioware has proven itself not overly scared about touching code for fear of breaking it, otherwise we wouldn't have a brand new char gen system.

On 1/10/2023 at 5:31 AM, JediQuaker said:

I don't think BW cares whether or not you buy/sell on the GTN. The CM yes, GTN, no. 🙂

I might be wrong, but that’s not entirely how I read the post. 
I believe they’re buying CM items off the CM to then on sell on the GTN.

The reason they’re going to stop doing this is because it’s a pain in the butt because inflation has driven market prices higher than 1 billion.

Bioware have sleep walked into this problem. I’m sure there are many people who buy off the CM & sell on the GTN that find the 1 billion cap more than an inconvenience & have reduced or stopped buying CM items to do this.

BioWare were warned for the past 3-4 years that inflation was a problem & they only made it worse, not better. Now it might finally effect them financially because they let it run out of control 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

I don't think Bioware could have done anything, as long as some/most players are willing to accept the increase .

maybe they could have lowered the cap. But still some will find ways to get around that, so don't think that would affect it much.

from what I understand, the GTN is controlled by the players , in the case about price. The only thing BioWare has control of is the Cap.

, there will always be some that want more, even if it's not needed

8 hours ago, Achnaattwo said:

I don't think Bioware could have done anything, as long as some/most players are willing to accept the increase .

maybe they could have lowered the cap. But still some will find ways to get around that, so don't think that would affect it much.

from what I understand, the GTN is controlled by the players , in the case about price. The only thing BioWare has control of is the Cap.

, there will always be some that want more, even if it's not needed

There were many things BioWare could have done over the years to address inflation. Many experienced players have detailed feedback on different mechanisms to do this. BioWare completely ignored the feedback & ideas. Now inflation is so bad that prices are stupid. 
Sadly, the only option left is to raise the GTN sales limit or the GTN will become irrelevant. But that also requires raising individual character credit caps. 

11 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

There were many things BioWare could have done over the years to address inflation. Many experienced players have detailed feedback on different mechanisms to do this. BioWare completely ignored the feedback & ideas. Now inflation is so bad that prices are stupid. 
Sadly, the only option left is to raise the GTN sales limit or the GTN will become irrelevant. But that also requires raising individual character credit caps. 

GTN irrelevant???

For me it's already there.  About the only thing I look for now are single items that are normally a part of a much larger CM package.  (Security items such as cameras for example).  Once in a great while I'll see a deco that's a drop.   BUT if it's overpriced, as the case usually is ... (even prior to the insanity of today) ..  I just ignore it!

In fact .. the GTN at Carrick Station is so dead that during the Life Day event that I went elsewhere to look for potential targets for snowballs !  To put that in a proper context ...  I use to frequent the GTN area as well as Nar Shaddaa.  Between the two ...  that was all I needed to do!  It was THAT busy!!

I hope this makes sense!

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 9:14 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

I might be wrong, but that’s not entirely how I read the post. 
I believe they’re buying CM items off the CM to then on sell on the GTN.

The reason they’re going to stop doing this is because it’s a pain in the butt because inflation has driven market prices higher than 1 billion.worse, not better. 

Good point. That may reduce some people's desire to use the CM. 🤔

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OlBuzzard said:

In fact .. the GTN at Carrick Station is so dead that during the Life Day event that I went elsewhere to look for potential targets for snowballs !  To put that in a proper context ...  I use to frequent the GTN area as well as Nar Shaddaa.  Between the two ...  that was all I needed to do!  It was THAT busy!!

Keep in mind that many people (such as myself) mostly use a GTN terminal in their own Stronghold(s). So, the number of people around the terminals on Fleet might not be as meaningful as it once may have been. 🙂 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JediQuaker said:

Keep in mind that many people (such as myself) mostly use a GTN terminal in their own Stronghold(s). So, the number of people around the terminals on Fleet might not be as meaningful as it once may have been. 🙂 

I've taken that into account.  Those have been around for years!!  (I should know ... I have them at all 4 of my strongholds).  Like it or not ... the GTN is withering away!  It IS becoming less and less relevant!  The more people continue to price things so ridiculously high ... the less relevant it will become!  Sure, I have a few billion on hand.  BUT if I just started throwing those credits around like water I'd be broke in a heartbeat!

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 4:50 PM, SteveTheCynic said:

I've tested on PTS

The 32bit credit cap is still in place there.