7.1 PTS and timeline

JackieKo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, it's actually funny. If you search the forum, you'll see that this is exactly what people whined about in 5.0 and 6.0 as well. The incessant complaining about the game "dying" and "not worth it" has been an ongoing theme for almost ten years. And yet, here we are.

Seriously though, 5.0 and 6.0 were not nearly as bad as 7.0 is.

Not gonna lie, this is deeply disappointing to me. I don't know why it took until now to even say all of this. This is the first substantive post about the game apart from responses to bug reports since late April. That's almost 3 weeks. The game is steadily losing players if Steamchart trends are anything to go by and that doesn't account for lost subs who are dropping to preferred status.

Totally agree with most everything you've said. The only point I'd like to make is steamcharts are vastly inaccurate for this game. >90% of players don't play through steam. They've downloaded the launcher directly from swtor and still play through that, and that data is not reported to steam. Have to remember, swtor only came to steam in like July of 2020 or something like that.

Totally agree with most everything you've said. The only point I'd like to make is steamcharts are vastly inaccurate for this game. >90% of players don't play through steam. They've downloaded the launcher directly from swtor and still play through that, and that data is not reported to steam. Have to remember, swtor only came to steam in like July of 2020 or something like that.

Is 90% a guess or there is some actual data? Personally I moved to Steam when launcher forced me to re-download the game.

And there is nothing to indicate that the trend is different among players using the launcher.

While I don't buy that >90% number (I played on the original launcher for years, moved to Steam due to the convenience of the patching system there, I'm sure there are plenty of others that did the same), you're not wrong that Steamcharts aren't the full picture, but I didn't say they were. I was talking about Steamchart trends. Whether or not it's a full picture of the game's current playerbase, the trends are still worth noting, and the trends on Steamcharts have been steadily downward since 7.0's launch and were extremely negative in March (the month immediately following the expansion launch, where the big bump in players the game got for the new expansion was almost entirely lost). We had a small bump for the double XP event and May 4th, as you'd expect, but it's already in the negative again.

Considering you'd expect most players on the standalone launcher to be people who've been playing for a while and the general consensus that newer players are less impacted by the negative changes 7.0 brought, the Steamchart trends being that bad aren't exactly a great sign for the standalone launcher numbers either. The Steamchart trends are just all we really have to go on since Bioware won't release the standalone launcher numbers.

11 years later, the bizarro world of SWTOR development (or should I say stagnation?) continues. As far as I know, this is the only MMO which releases an expansion without an expansion (even way back when, the Makeb expansion was akin to normal WoW content update), and somehow is still able to convince players that upscaling old content is "new stuff". On top of that, this loyalty is rewarded by players being forced to grind Eternity Vault for new gear after 11 years lmao. On top of that, the delayed expansion without an expansion will be getting actual new content 6-7 months after the release of 7.0. And once again, this new content barely constitutes a meagre update that other MMOs produce. Ngl, I'm surprised each year this game still has servers running, and I'm certainly not complaining about that, it's still my 2nd best MMO ^^

Let's assume July is a release month at the earliest for 7.1. You will have made the entire player base wait 5 months for fixes to the most important things like level synch, tertiary stats, and balancing problems with classes. I personally think it's too late. Look at the steam charts. People have given up at this point. Sorry guys but unless you consistently put fresh tinder on a fire. It will burn out and go cold. Edited by ReveredDead

Hi everyone,

I have a few things to share with you about 7.1!

All that said, we can confirm that 7.1 is targeted for mid-summer!

Jackie

Serious??

A 10 year celebration and you delivered nearly nothing until now. Why doesn't you priorize the Manaan Daily area to bring it live as soon as possible and postpone this new OP?

If you are not able to deliver this little bit of content in one piece, why not step by step?

First the Daily area, then the SM mode, then HM and then if at all the Nim-Mode?

Edited by Master_Morak

Seriously though, 5.0 and 6.0 were not nearly as bad as 7.0 is.

5.0 and it's 100%-random-gear-via-loot-boxes system was very VERY bad, bad enough that the devs soon had the sense to walk that system back to where you could get specific items from specific bosses again in 5.1 and later in the 5.x cycle it was relegated to a supplemental (redundant) gearing system. By the time 6.0 came out it was still there because it was easier to leave there than remove it.

6.0 was not so bad. IMO the biggest issue was the ridiculous method they used to de-bolster our characters for L70 content.

I think 7.0 gearing is more similar to 6.0's system than it is different. You still build up your gear rating step-by-step, but your 2nd and subsequent characters can more-or-less start where your first character left off (or topped out). The biggest issue with 7.0's gear system is the lack of moddable gear.

The real problem with 7.0, though, is that it's a bug-ridden mess. Certainly it's better than it was at launch, but it really surprises me how there can be issues with not just the new content and things that have changed, but also existing things that have worked fine for years but suddenly break because . . . why?

Hi everyone,

First up, PTS will be opening back up soon. We are planning to go live before the end of the month. This phase will feature all of the R-4 Anomaly Operation and the Manaan Daily Area effectively letting you all see what will be included in 7.1. As always, when PTS is up, I will post all the relevant threads in the PTS sub-forums so you are able to leave feedback.

Second, this will be the final PTS phase for 7.1. Once PTS closes, the team will be working away on polishing the content you all saw. All that said, we can confirm that 7.1 is targeted for mid-summer!

Lastly for this post, wanted to let you all know that when we get closer to launch for this game update, we will be hosting a livestream focusing on the content of 7.1.

So stay tuned for the PTS posts! And of course, if any of the above changes, I will be letting you all know.

Jackie

Too little too late unfortunately. I hope for success here, but yeah. 7.0 has just not been good enough. Some good ideas. Some bad ones. And, no where near enough content or communication (i.e roadmaps, correctly setting expectations etc). I'll check back with this game later on and see if you all improve. Until then...best of luck.

Dear Jackie,

You and the rest of the EA/BW management hoping this little tease will stop people unsubbing or indeed get them resubbing to take a sniff? Nope, you lost one of my subs already and this one expires in a week.

Given past recent performance you're now launching a Hail Mary run at dropping the mainstay content of what was meant to be this Special Anniversary, with the team who've been struggling to fix a little of so much you broke since 7.0. So that can only mean that all hands will now be working on getting 7.1 in the water. So no more patches for the next 2 months until (re-)launch? And then what more mess can we expect to float to the surface with 7.1? What will be the priority of fix then?

You have all singularly failed to respect the community with the way you've ignored every gift of our good will, loyalty and many, MANY hours of thankless testing, bug hunting and suggestions since last Summer. You will get no more of my money until the serious and frustrating bugs and UI issues are rectified and the gameplay rebalanced so that ALL players, no matter their content and play-style preferences, are equally valued and enabled to enjoy this game free of prejudice.

I can't seriously imagine you having things sorted before Xmas and then you'll all be off again for a month or two. So I will keep taking the pulse via preferred status but don't expect to see a cent of new subs from me before March 2023. I will find other ways to enjoy Star Wars beyond the Disney+ goodies due to be released, heck maybe I'll take up cosplay and LARPing or go back to tabletop.

Maybe I will just wait to see what ME4 in Unreal 5 looks like.

Bioware, just ignore those "Im gonna unsub in one week" whiners. They will not do that. Take your time and keep working on the game. Thanks

Some of those "whiners" (your term not mine) have been with the game since the beginning and they have never said they were going to quit until now. Ignoring them might not be a promising idea. BW might need to start listening to some of the complaints.

Bioware, just ignore those "Im gonna unsub in one week" whiners. They will not do that.

Quite a few already have and I suspect many more are tired waiting for the much promoted 10 year celebration. Alsom, story players (myself included) are really disappointed that the big new story they promoted has failed to materialise. We joked last year during the PTS that the "expansion" would not arrive until 2023 based on the amount of issues with the game we were experiencing. None of us are joking any more. A sub is no longer cost effective. And preferred is too big a downgrade for me bother with. I'm almost finished GS on my second and third servers, then I'm done until I see proof of new story. Not even the incoming 7.1 PTS interests me after all the months/hours we spent between July '21 (YES LAST JULY) and Jan '22 ended with our considerable feedback on the multitude of bugs and issues being ignored.

The only thing that will keep me subbed is complete honesty about what is happening with the game currently and what we can realistically expect from the game after 7.1.

Hi everyone,

First up, PTS will be opening back up soon. We are planning to go live before the end of the month. This phase will feature all of the R-4 Anomaly Operation and the Manaan Daily Area effectively letting you all see what will be included in 7.1. As always, when PTS is up, I will post all the relevant threads in the PTS sub-forums so you are able to leave feedback.

Second, this will be the final PTS phase for 7.1. Once PTS closes, the team will be working away on polishing the content you all saw. All that said, we can confirm that 7.1 is targeted for mid-summer!

Lastly for this post, wanted to let you all know that when we get closer to launch for this game update, we will be hosting a livestream focusing on the content of 7.1.

So stay tuned for the PTS posts! And of course, if any of the above changes, I will be letting you all know.

Jackie

When the token dark side and lightside com back?!

Edited by Zrafin

Bioware, just ignore those "Im gonna unsub in one week" whiners. They will not do that. Take your time and keep working on the game. Thanks

LoL - working on the game. You mean take away fun und implement bugs.

You could give them every time, they will nothing deliver.

LoL - working on the game. You mean take away fun und implement bugs.

You could give them every time, they will nothing deliver.

As far as I know swtor team is not as big as it used to be. It`s a huge game and the engine is crappy so bugs will happen. Blame EA, not Bioware and if you really can`t stand it just stop playing and play something else or go outside to enjoy the sun or the rain, whatever you like :)

The only thing that will keep me subbed is complete honesty about what is happening with the game currently and what we can realistically expect from the game after 7.1.

This has been my biggest pet peeve as well. They announced in October the expansion would hit in December, with a few things following soon after that. Then in December they said they delayed it by two months, with even more stuff than expected coming soon after. The "soon after" is now looking like 8 months from the planned launch and 6 months from the actual launch. They either lied to us about their timeline, or they lied to themselves about being able to deliver.

They either lied to us about their timeline, or they lied to themselves about being able to deliver.

It`s not about lying, dude. They hoped to deliver on time more than you think. Small team, crappy engine, maybe little EA support...I don`t know how that bussiness works. Im gonna support the game anyway and hope for the best because as Andy Dufresne said: "Hope is a good thing, may be the best of the things. And good thing never dies"

It`s not about lying, dude. They hoped to deliver on time more than you think. Small team, crappy engine, maybe little EA support...I don`t know how that bussiness works. Im gonna support the game anyway and hope for the best because as Andy Dufresne said: "Hope is a good thing, may be the best of the things. And good thing never dies"

The engine has been crappy this whole time, their staff has been short for quite some, etc. Those aren't things that just suddenly appeared and caught them off guard. That may be a reason it took them 8 months to finish, but it doesn't explain why they said it would be mostly done in 2 months. Also, hope is not a plan. So whatever their hopes were are pretty meaningless. Hoping to get something done on time doesn't do anything to actually accomplish it.

Blame EA, not Bioware

Actually, go read the article about Anthem development by Jason Schreier

Then, you can see it is 100% possible to blame Bioware. EA is by no means a kind/good hearted company looking out for gamers' best interests, but you can't blame them for not wanting to throw more money at a studio that is showing that it has no clue how to manage game development anymore. EA could double the money it gives Bioware and I think they would just double their disappointment and loss.

Go back to launch when EA poured what was rumored to be hundreds of millions into the game. From there to now you can see the pattern of Bioware ignoring feedback and deciding they know what is best. And time and time again, you'll see it blow up in their face, but lessons never get learned.

Go back through the forums and you'll see the same complaints time and time again "we gave this feedback in testing and it was ignored" " We need communication and the silence is costing you" etc.

IF you work in development, it actually is not about hoping. You know your team and resources and plan accordingly. They don't make a development plan, release that to players and then hope they get the funding to make it happen. Now, you can make estimations on delivery of developments and bugs can and do come up that cause delays. But to be so off comes down to misleading or being completely incompetent when it comes to estimating. So if you don't want to attribute malice, you have to attribute that they just aren't very good at what they do. Neither are good scenarios for fans of the game.