1.5m subs, best in launch history

Yowfatto

How do you figure a MMO with a million subs is not AAA? AoC, Warhammer and lotro all had at one point over a million subs. I think you may be on crack. Is the only AAA game in your opinion WoW?

LOTRO? A million subs? I'd like to see some evidence of that please. I don't recall that game ever approaching a million subscriptions.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game has blown all other MMOs in history out of the water with 1.5m subs at launch. This game is fantastic and will continue to grow. Yes it has some bugs, I triggered the Kira bug which has yet to be retro fixed on my JK but I'm now greatly enjoying my sith warrior. It needs more polish but so far for launch this game has massive amounts of content.

For all the folks who have hit 50, wait for the rest of us to catch up and stop complaining there is nothing to do since you rushed to 50. We warned you not to do this, not to complain when you get there but yet you still do. You knew you'd be waiting, you do need people to do stuff at 50 right, you do realize this? This game has more end game content than any other MMO in history at launch, and still you 10%ers complain.

Did you play WoW, and power lvl to cap at their launch with only one or two raids at the end for about 9 months with nothing else to do? And you guys complain about SWTOR? How in the heck did you guys last in WoW at launch when end game was so pitiful in that game for months on end?

Get a grip and do something else, roll another character, get in on the market, or perhaps do something in real life? It will take me at least a year to play all the class story lines with work, don't know how you guys have so much time on your hands.

Oh, if you don't know what a 10%er is, well they're folks that have more time on their hands, way too much time on their hands compared to the other 90% of humanity.

when this game was anounced for pre-ordered on july 21st i saved all my PDO days for the release, i did not know at this time when it was but i just prepared everyone at work that is what i was going to do and to be prepared. i was able to take the 13th-19th off and play non stop with 2.5 hrs of sleep till i hit 50, i was one of the first ones on my server and dont consider myself a 10%er. basically i knew what i was getting into, so i set my goals, at 50 i made sure to first gear up and then start an alt and then max my crafting professions, im almost 50 on my 2nd character and still waiting for more to hit 50. it only takes 72-80 hours played to hit 50 (depends if you solo or group or watch any cutscenes). you cannot argue work or family as an excuse not to hit 50, all you can blame is your lack of motivation because the game has been out long enough for the casuals who didnt get off work to hit 50, and many of them have!

ofc im not the one complaining about the game either, ppl who complain about this game dont like any game, because this game is amazing and no other game on the market comes close. if you do not liek swtor, then you do not like any game period that is out right now or ever has been out, you know who you are, you are a hater and simply hate for the sake of hating.

5 stars to the OP.

Warhammers launch was also terrible, and the game was unplayable for the majority of players.

SWTOR launch has been smooth, and almost everyone can play without any gamebreaking bugs. Which is more than I can say for any other MMO that's been released in the last few years.

expect all those people in the FPS thread O.o

Seeing as I don't get permanently stuck on pebbles in the ground or randomly blackscreen for several minutes, saying warhammer is even in the same league as this game at launch is... preposterous.

And that was 6 months after warhammer was released. Warhammer had bugs that made it UNPLAYABLE. Get a real arguement.

1,5 mil subs ?

it got 3 mil preorders in usa alone. add 3-4 to this from rest of the world.

Since we know the game has more then 1 million subs (Bioware press release) and assuming your numbers were right (they are comically high) this game would have suffered the worst pre-order -> actual account transitions of all time.

I still have to ask where the OP got 1.5 million from though. I see nothing from Bioware nor EA confirming that number.

As many others have said, the initial sales are meaningless. Tons of games have sold 1m copies and reached 1m subs and flopped (See AoC, Champions, Hellgate, etc). What % of the initial sales remain after the first couple of months is the only true indicator to how the game is doing and how well it will continue doing.

Alot of people drop in that 60 dollars knowing that they will get at least as much play out of the game as a single player game that costs the same. Whether they think they will keep playing it after that determines whether they will pay for a sub. Alot of the time people play it, enjoy it, run out of stuff to do, and leave. Othertimes people play it, don't enjoy it but still get some fun out of it, then leave.

Oh also if you knew where to look online you could've picked this up for $45 instead of $60 and depending on how their success is the game could easily be selling for $20 or $30 in a couple of months.

Edited by Lightmgl

This game has blown all other MMOs in history out of the water with 1.5m subs at launch. This game is fantastic and will continue to grow. Yes it has some bugs, I triggered the Kira bug which has yet to be retro fixed on my JK but I'm now greatly enjoying my sith warrior. It needs more polish but so far for launch this game has massive amounts of content.

For all the folks who have hit 50, wait for the rest of us to catch up and stop complaining there is nothing to do since you rushed to 50. We warned you not to do this, not to complain when you get there but yet you still do. You knew you'd be waiting, you do need people to do stuff at 50 right, you do realize this? This game has more end game content than any other MMO in history at launch, and still you 10%ers complain.

Did you play WoW, and power lvl to cap at their launch with only one or two raids at the end for about 9 months with nothing else to do? And you guys complain about SWTOR? How in the heck did you guys last in WoW at launch when end game was so pitiful in that game for months on end?

Get a grip and do something else, roll another character, get in on the market, or perhaps do something in real life? It will take me at least a year to play all the class story lines with work, don't know how you guys have so much time on your hands.

Oh, if you don't know what a 10%er is, well they're folks that have more time on their hands, way too much time on their hands compared to the other 90% of humanity.

HA HAHA DC Universe Online held a record launch too, look where that game is now! People blew through its content in the free 30 days and then unsubbed. This game will follow suit. It does not have the content to carry it very far. People are already hitting 50 and growing bored with it.

This game does not have 1.5 million subscriptions. I'll be surprised if it even has 900k subscriptions.

The reality people failed to understand from the beginning is that VGCHARTZ is not accurate nor do those pre orders mean actual players would subscribe.

I bet most people won't even make it past 30s before slowing down and giving up.

Bioware said "Over 1 million players celebrated" which means nothing.

All these press releases they have had are obvious damage control.

They can't even go by subscribers until after this free month because many will only be here for that duration.

Instead of Bioware doing constant press releases and gloating about NOTHING...

...they should FIX this game and actually be a real part of their own community.

Edited by Tiaa

This is Star Wars, and isn't SWG.

It has staying power.

I'd sub for life, right now. Great game -- can't wait until the frst 30 days are over so these chuckleheads will go away. They're like locusts getting ready to swarm to their next target; always famished; never satisfied.

When the bugs are gone, we can sew the seeds of a good community. Tick tick tick, insects.

This is Star Wars, and isn't SWG.

It has staying power.

I'd sub for life, right now. Great game -- can't wait until the frst 30 days are over so these chuckleheads will go away. They're like locusts getting ready to swarm to their next target; always famished; never satisfied.

When the bugs are gone, we can sew the seeds of a good community. Tick tick tick, insects.

Are you saying SWG is not Star Wars....?

...What?...

This game doesn't have staying power yet.

What it does have is the advantage of not being fundamentally flawed (like games such as WAR). The systems are solid enough that they can be built on and the content is solid enough that it can be built on. The problem for Bioware now is time. The game was released in a very underwhelming state (at least to your average player) and now they only really have 2-3 months to make some of these features feel really polished while getting in enough new content to begin occupying the max level players.

If they can do that, the game will be fine. Rift did it and was in a fairly similar state when it first came out, albeit a little more content heavy and a little less clunky.

You can tell that they were way out of their league in beta when we have had major gamebreaking bugs reported for nearly a year that were not fixed because they were so busy rushing to get content and systems in. They knew if they stopped to fix the bugs that the game would be missing even more features than it is now and would be a total joke. At least this way they got in enough features that it can tease you for what could be coming, but it also left the game in a horrible buggy state needing tons of rush bugfix patches.

Edited by Lightmgl

By the way you guys might wanna stop telling people to go back to WoW and such. You kind of want them to stay if you want the game to be successful. Its not about who plays it, its about how many. If the game is dumbed down to the "proper SWTOR fan" then you will be left with 10,000 people and a game being discontinued due to lack of subscriptions and income. Niche market does not work in the MMO space, plenty have tried and failed.

So many people stuck in the old mentality that there are gamers, non gamers, and people who a game is for. Games should be for everyone, especially a MMO where you need a broad customer base.

Edited by Lightmgl

Probably the only valid thing you've said thus far. Even then, this is in no way game breaking. :rolleyes:

This is a game breaking bug :rolleyes:

You fail to explain how this is a bug. :rolleyes:

I've never had any problems with flashpoints thus far.

This isn't a bug, get a better processor. :rolleyes:

What video cards? Name them. :rolleyes:

This is untrue, pet AI is fine, and by options not sticking I assume you mean changes to stances / autocast being on or off.. which also works fine.

Next? :rolleyes:

Never had any problem with the UI / other options at all.

Again, not a game breaking bug. :rolleyes:

Yes, because all of those aren't game breaking (half aren't even bugged) at all.

Isn't the some nodes the same problem with WoW when people just harvested but din't pick up the loot?

This, is awsome.