Companions broken?

Zenislav

Anyone else has problem with companions missing when attacking? Tried googling but did not found any info and in known bugs there is no mention of it.

I noticed every companion when attacking mobs and uses aoe skill or one other he or she misses all the time and deals no damage.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Companions sometimes fall into the ground when attacking. It is strange but they still heal and attack.

That's a different problem, and it can also happen to enemies. It's a semi-visual bug on the client side only, and reveals some interesting things:

* It acts independently on each group member's PC - the enemy is underground for me, but not for you, so you can attack the enemy directly and I can't. (I can still AoE it, but not direct attacks.)

* That last part indicates that the immediate direct-attack reachability thing is evaluated on the client, while AoE reachability is evaluated on the server.

* Extending the reasoning, the server must also evaluate direct-attack reachibility because it shouldn't *blindly* trust what the client asks for, which suggests that the client-side check is there to reduce client<=>server network traffic.

The server will definitely evaluate LOS and range if you activate askill (cheat-protection)

But the client must do some evaluation here, because direct attack skill become greyed out and unclickable if the target is out of range, or you don't have LOS. This is not done server-side.

This is what causes the problem. If the client thinks you can't reach the target, all direct-attack-skills can't be activated on your side, and the command is never sent to the server. AoE-skills don't do that check, so you can use those, and the server will correctly determine that you can actually hit the target.

That's a different problem, and it can also happen to enemies. It's a semi-visual bug on the client side only, and reveals some interesting things:

* It acts independently on each group member's PC - the enemy is underground for me, but not for you, so you can attack the enemy directly and I can't. (I can still AoE it, but not direct attacks.)

* That last part indicates that the immediate direct-attack reachability thing is evaluated on the client, while AoE reachability is evaluated on the server.

* Extending the reasoning, the server must also evaluate direct-attack reachibility because it shouldn't *blindly* trust what the client asks for, which suggests that the client-side check is there to reduce client<=>server network traffic.

That's interesting. It's annoying playing Story when enemies disappear underground. I have to wait until the Companion finishes him off because the Companion is the only one who can hurt him, which is a long time if Companion is on Heal. If my area attacks work that will speed things up.

Anyone else has problem with companions missing when attacking? Tried googling but did not found any info and in known bugs there is no mention of it.

I noticed every companion when attacking mobs and uses aoe skill or one other he or she misses all the time and deals no damage.

This is a bug added in 7.0. Many companion AoE abilities don't work. This makes tanks really bad at holding threat of an enemy group. No idea when it will be fixed. Many players have reported it, but I haven't seen Bioware acknowledge it. They did say they know companions are not healing as well as they used to and are investigating that, so maybe they will also look into those AoE abilities missing.

Edited by ThanderSnB

This was patched 3/15 on the PTS along with an additional companion damage boost. Will probably make it to live on the 22nd.

This was patched 3/15 on the PTS along with an additional companion damage boost. Will probably make it to live on the 22nd.

Base performance is improved slightly but progression (Influence 1 vs Influence 50) is still broken. There is no significant difference between using an Influence 50 or Influence 1 companion. Still broken overall.

Base performance is improved slightly but progression (Influence 1 vs Influence 50) is still broken. There is no significant difference between using an Influence 50 or Influence 1 companion. Still broken overall.

Assuming that the tool tips for the companion's c3 ability damage and max HP are accurate, the difference between an influence 10 and an influence 50 companion is quite significant (on PTS):

Tython(10), dmg: 62.0% increase, HP: 23.5% increase

Nar Shadaa(25), dmg: 50.3% increase, HP: 14.1% increase

Dantooine(70), dmg: 28.9% increase, HP: 13.5% increase

Onderon(75), dmg: 29.1% increase, HP: 13.4% increase

These are the differences for companions set to DPS.

An influence 10 Ranos was able to solo a silver difficulty water-lizard-thing on Onderon and barely survive with a sliver of life. An influence 50 Rusk was able to solo the same beast and walk away with 70% of his health.

There's still something wrong Companion healers. I had 2 instances where the companion seemed to get confused over targeting and become unresponsive until I forced it to attack my target.

I don't think the balance is quite right yet, but it will definitely be easier than what's currently on live.

Assuming that the tool tips for the companion's c3 ability damage and max HP are accurate, the difference between an influence 10 and an influence 50 companion is quite significant (on PTS):

Tython(10), dmg: 62.0% increase, HP: 23.5% increase

Nar Shadaa(25), dmg: 50.3% increase, HP: 14.1% increase

Dantooine(70), dmg: 28.9% increase, HP: 13.5% increase

Onderon(75), dmg: 29.1% increase, HP: 13.4% increase

These are the differences for companions set to DPS.

An influence 10 Ranos was able to solo a silver difficulty water-lizard-thing on Onderon and barely survive with a sliver of life. An influence 50 Rusk was able to solo the same beast and walk away with 70% of his health.

There's still something wrong Companion healers. I had 2 instances where the companion seemed to get confused over targeting and become unresponsive until I forced it to attack my target.

I don't think the balance is quite right yet, but it will definitely be easier than what's currently on live.

I did not see any difference in performance using an Influence 1 Force Healer or an Influence 50 Force Healer when running the Lab Animals heroic on Nar Shadda or the Cyber Mercenaries heroic on Voss. "Stress" on the PC was the same. The increase in "DPS" output for the healers brought them up to the minimum performance required for an Influence 1-10 companion. Their performance at Influence 50 for healer is still too low. Tanks are still broken as well as they cannot hold aggro. Two out of three specs are still underperforming for their Influence levels.

I've had a chance to take a closer look at the healers and it seems that the reduced healing compared to the tooltips is related to missed actions. In watching the activations more closely, about 1 out of every four healing actions seems to fail (the companion action bar shows an activation but the on screen text indicating how much is healed fails to appear and there is no increase in the PCs health). Standing there doing nothing also seems to occur.

I've had a chance to take a closer look at the healers and it seems that the reduced healing compared to the tooltips is related to missed actions. In watching the activations more closely, about 1 out of every four healing actions seems to fail (the companion action bar shows an activation but the on screen text indicating how much is healed fails to appear and there is no increase in the PCs health). Standing there doing nothing also seems to occur.

sounds like the devs accidentally decreased healing accuracy. I don't know if it's possible but hey, you never know.

Well this is bad. The only things the companion Influence affects are the Mastery and Endurance stats of the companion. Everything else (Power, Alacrity, Crits, etc.) is set by the current location.

This means ability cooldowns are the same regardless of influence. Probably why 50 influence companions now feel sluggish.

Here's hoping it's a bug and some variable didn't get set right. Regardless it's not something that will be fixed/changed before 7.0.1.

Wen even good old Talos Drellik runs away to attack some far away ranged mob as a Healer?

You know there is a problem:(

Yeah. All his heals are stuck on cooldown so he's shooting instead...and the tanks can't hold aggro because all their taunts are on cooldown too.

At a minimum, the companion's Alacrity should be boosted by their influence. (Optimally, all of a companions stats should be affected by their influence, even if it's only a small 5% or 10% gain)

And even after today's update companions missing with 2 skills. Tested just now with Corso and his AoE and Exhaustive Shot always miss. He uses skills but it says miss and they deal 0 dmg. Nice

Even worse for Treek. She misses EVERYTHING. Send her to attack something as a healer and have an endless battle because she does ZERO damage.

There is something very wrong with companions since 7.0.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

It takes 10 seconds of testing to see companions are still garbage, their AI is borked, their ability to heal/dps/tank sucks, and influence level/presence are doing nothing still.

How did this go live?

It takes 10 seconds of testing to see companions are still garbage, their AI is borked, their ability to heal/dps/tank sucks, and influence level/presence are doing nothing still.

Today I noticed my companion (not being on passive) just standing there, doing nothing and not helping at all. So either they are broken or they joined the dev team.

Today I noticed my companion (not being on passive) just standing there, doing nothing and not helping at all. So either they are broken or they joined the dev team.

I know I shouldn't but this made me laugh,

Thanks.

When players start losing hope, that is when things really get ugly.

I know. It’s because they just don’t seem to want to fix stuff that is broken, it’s so sad.

Other games have constant hot fixes and detailed patch notes. Yet with SWtoR, if it’s broken you’re best off assuming it will always stay that way.