New inventory literally hurts the eyes of people

Stradlin

On various test center feedback threads, paperdoll, inventory and revamped bits of UI in general gathered universal dislike. Unsurprisingly, they just went through with it all anyway. Optimist in me was hoping inventory and paperdoll at the very least would be fixed before going live. No such luck!

I personally dislike almost all of the UI changes a great deal. Starting from character creator. Old character creator was full of life and motion. New one looks like some afterthought of a cheap dead looter shooter. What in the everliving..heck is it with pitch black void of life bcgrounds all of a sudden?? "Hmm. We got this nice hangar with ships departing and stuff. Let's remove it and pour some black color in." How is this an "improvement "anyone sets out to make??

Sadly, the real heart of the issue here is something far less subjective than my personal dislike of this UI element or that:

New inventory screen LITERALLY HURTS THE EYES OF MANY PEOPLE LOOKING AT IT. Wish my caps were just some internet forum war hyperbole. Nope. Lots of people find the new inventory unpleasant and taxing to their eyes in very real way. Just in my guild alone there were a number of different people complaining about this. It isn't just " meh, this looks ugly" it is " omg this game makes my eyes hurt now."

How in seven hells did this end up getting released?

Something about the shade and sharpness of the blue bordering the pitch black inventory squares must be what is causing this. It just doesn't mesh well. Contrast present is a literal, actual eyestrain. It isn't just bad looking, it causes actual pain to people. I'm not some UI design wiz, but I'd guess interfaces that hurt their users isn't seen as the default approach by most.

Pictured below, old inventory vs new inventory side by side, I took this from reddit. It is crazy left image is the original, right one the """improved""" version.

https://i.redd.it/hkn2378kl2i81.png

In general, all menu work of this mini expansion seems like a collection of utterly needless changes..for the worse. Kinda sad how it feels almost like I don't have luxury to complain about this though. " ui looks bad now" is much less..urgent than " this inventory actually hurts people who have to look at it"

Seriously..how did this get released..

Edited by Stradlin

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, im not gonna get into some of the more nuanced UI changes (the amount of spacing between the items is kinda hilarious) because I guess thats subjective and not actually that big of a deal.

But the color changes, as showcased in the screenshot OP provided, are actually causing eye strain. I cant play a game thats literally causing me harm. I wouldnt expect anyone else to either, obviously. I really hope this gets addressed and resolved soon.

Agreed. I simply can't stand looking at the inventory pages. Not sure what it is exactly but it is a massive eyestrain after a while. Maybe it's these bright tinker toy outlines. I don't know and I don't care, but it's not only visually unappealing, it's literally hurting my eyes.

I heard Fisher-Price design the new UI.

I've been playing now what ..3 - 4 years? This is my first comment ever. I second and third that, and other players are commenting on it too! It not only does it makes my eyes hurt, it also makes me queasy. Like, I literally feel sick in the stomach! And not just the first time I saw the new design, this has happened repeatedly every time I've opened it since yesterday!

This has nothing to do with my objective opinion on the design. It is in the contrast, the sharp edges (which, as a graphic designer myself I find to be a very bad choice considering all other edges are cornered and the colours are blurred), and generally because I have to strain my eyes and brain to discover whether a box is full or empty. What was the logic of highlighting the empty space? I know it's empty because it's not full, duh!, and I it's not even something I need to know to be honest. I now find it so much harder to distinguish junk from items like, why did you do this to us?!?

In addition to this, the GTN has half the "old" visuals, and half the "new" ones. I'm sure they paid them a hefty amount, the least they could do is show for it...

And I sincerely, sincerely, sincerely hope they don't wait for us to "get used to it" because I'd rather not play (even though I subbed!) than to physically hurt myself!

Something about the shade and sharpness of the blue bordering the pitch black inventory squares must be what is causing this. It just doesn't mesh well.

If you think this as a city map of blocks, you will notice that your brain adds some "off" coloring with the crossroads. That is a grid illusion effect and in that scale (many such boxes etc.) causes problems because the perceived image is not "static" (brain is constantly trying to figure this out and failing at it). Which means you cannot "rest" while looking it at. The old inventory didn't have this problem, it is perceived as a static background, even has some grouping in it (which was visually very helpful when sorting stuff).

The overall "high contrast" UI design is a fad which luckily died as fast as it popped up, but it seems not all have catched up accordingly. It does help a subset of visually impaired people, which is why you have a "high contrast" option here and there, including Windows itself.

New inventory screen LITERALLY HURTS THE EYES OF MANY PEOPLE LOOKING AT IT.

My left eye has issues with viewing bright colors like White and this new inventory window. I keep it open too long I get ill a massive headache. BW did not change the other windows for ship, guild, and legacy storage, why then have the mucked up the inventory window. @Eric, @Chris, @Charles, fix this monumental mistake you've made. If you do not, I will be physically unable to play the game anymore due to this gaudy cyan blue you're using. I will have to unsub and will instruct my bank to CB the charge since I cannot play anymore.

Edited by Ghost_Spectre

I have to admit, I am quite horrified. The inventory, the class icons, the editor when creating a character, etc. all look like they are from pre-alpha.

The new character "profile" doesn't exactly shine with clarity either.

I have never wished for add-ons as much as I do this time. In WoW it wouldn't matter at all because you can fix everything with addons. In Star Wars you can't.

The inventory alone gives me a headache. I regret subscribing, I have absolutely no interest in playing the new story, yet I've been looking forward to playing a Sith Inquisitor as a "Jedi Knight" since November.

This is just sad.

Add me to the list of players that dislike the high-contrast inventory window changes and submitted that feedback during PTS. I don’t know why they went through with that specific change, not to mention the drop down box in the abilities window not scrolling, the display error with alacrity percentage in level locked areas, etc.

Have the same issues, keep seeing dots between the squares.

I'm sure you guys worked really hard on this, but please at least make the outlines less bright or the background less black.

It's not only about how it looks, it's makeing ppl sick. So plz fix this!!!

It's really straining my eyes and makes me queasy.

When I have to open my inv I close it as fast as I can once I'm done so I don't have to look at it for too long.

Also the currency tab seems glitchy, have to sometimes close and open it again so I can actually see my currencies.

On various test center feedback threads, paperdoll, inventory and revamped bits of UI in general gathered universal dislike. Unsurprisingly, they just went through with it anyway. Optimist in me was hoping inventory and paperdoll at the very least would be fixed before going live. No such luck!

I personally dislike almost all of the UI changes a great deal. Starting from character creator. Old one was full of life and motion. New one looks like some cheap looter shooter. What the..heck is it with black bcgrounds all of a sudden??

Sadly, the real heart of the issue here is something far less subjective than dislike of this UI element or that:

New inventory screen LITERALLY HURTS THE EYES OF MANY PEOPLE LOOKING AT IT. Wish my caps were just some internet forum war hyperbole. Nope. Lots of people find the new inventory unpleasant and taxing to their eyes in very real way. Just in my guild alone there were a number of different people complaining about this. It isn't just " meh, this looks ugly" it is " omg this game makes my eyes hurt now."

How in seven hells did this end up getting released?

Something about the shade and sharpness of the blue bordering the pitch black inventory squares must be what is causing this. It just doesn't mesh well. .

Pictured below, old inventory vs new inventory side by side, I took this from reddit. It is crazy left image is the original, right one the """improved""" version.

In general, all menu work of this mini expansion seems like a collection of utterly needless changes..for the worse. Kinda sad how it feels almost like I don't have luxury to complain about this though. " ui looks bad now" is much less..urgent than " this inventory actually hurts people who have to look at it"

Seriously..how did this get released..

It doesn't really hurt my eyes, but I don't feel like it's an improvement on the old UI. It would be nice if there was a way to revert it to the old one.

Adding my voice to this in support of getting the old inventory back. The new inventory is a massive strain on the eyes.

On top of that, it's incredibly ugly. It looks cheap, loud and wastes space. I was on the PTS and never for a moment believed they intended to release it in that state.

Damn, this really shows how much worse the new UI is. The empty boxes are extremely distracting. At the very least empty slots should be dimmed down. The new UI looks like a WIP.

Damn, this really shows how much worse the new UI is. The empty boxes are extremely distracting. At the very least empty slots should be dimmed down. The new UI looks like a WIP.

The focus for inventory should be on the items in the inventory and not the empty spaces.

Your eye is drawn to the overly bright blue borders contrasted by the black empty spaces.

It takes more focus just to look at the item in the inventory than the blue borders so it creates strain on the eyes and isn't great at night.

I've played many different MMO type games. The current 'look' of the inventory window is similar to some others.

I don't know why they changed it, and I can't say that I like it, but I will bet that I won't even notice in a few weeks. 🤔

I'd also point out that the 'tabs' are much easier to see now. 🙂

Edited by JediQuaker