7.0 Conquest Changes

DavidStaats

Every time I read an update to what is coming with 7.0 it decreases my desire to play this game. It has already effected the amount of time I have played this week, I just can't get motivated to log in. And even when I do get motivated, I discover yet another Dev Tracker post telling me that they are killing how I play, and enjoy, this game that I have loved so much. It is truly becoming depressing to even open Discord. I am extremely discouraged by the direction the game is taking. I just don't know if I will continue playing once 7.0 drops.

Right there with you on that one. My weekly play time has more than halved since the 7.0 information started coming out and each week they release another news article it drops further. I just can't get interested to play the game any more when I know they're about to completely upend everything I enjoy about it.

As others have said in this thread and some other places about 7.0, I'm really starting to feel like they actually want us to leave so they can get in new players who will just accept the new order as is.

If you want to go run Oricon even if Ziost and Yavin are the highlighted weeklies, you can, and still get CQP for doing so.

I realize you're just giving a hypothetical, so I'm not nitpicking you.

I expect Ziost (and other popular ones) to show up a lot less frequently than the more painful (and time-consuming) ones. I hope the next game-developing licensee of the SW IP is less anti-player than this developer / publisher.

I purchased Dragon Age II without reading reviews (who needs DA reviews after Dragon Age: Origins, right?) and felt taken advantage of and insulted. Haven't purchased a BW game since then, excepting ME3 and SWTOR subscription.

Edited by mike_carton

I was giving a bit more thought to the problem of financial speculation spurred on by inflation. Good credit sinks need to offer people something they see as having value, so it has to have some degree of uniqueness/exclusivity about it. If something like what I am about to suggest is already planned for the anniversary celebration at some point--terrific. Deprecated gear (both pieces and schematics) should be made available for sale, with (if possible) affordable price points for F2p/pref and subscribers. For subs, make each item 1 million credits each. F2P pricing would, of course, be far less and should be on a vendor exclusively for the use of F2P/pref accounts. All items would be BoP/BoL and unable to be sold to vendors. Unique vanity items would be awarded and considerable deflation is likely to be accomplished.

I was also wondering if it would be possible to create a sub-market on the GTN that would be heavily controlled. While any items could be posted from any player no matter their account type, the BUYERS would only be F2P/pref accounts, and the prices would be the default suggested value + a max of 10% of that value. In order to prevent these items from being purchased by a subscriber who creates a new F2P account for the purpose of buying up these items at vastly deflated prices, the purchased items should become BoP upon a successful sale. I would like to put up items at cheaper prices for F2p/pref players, but I see little sense in it if another sub is just going to buy my stuff at low prices and resell it at the going market rate. I'm not about to cheat myself.

Let's be real here for a minute. Getting Conquest finished on any give toon right now is NOT hard. It literally takes 10-15 minutes per toon:

- Run CZ-198 on one toon: conquest finished in 10 minutes.

- Swap toons, run starter planet and capital planet Heroics: conquest finished in 15 minutes.

- Swap factions/toons and run starter/capital planet heroics on the opposite side: conquest done in 15 minutes

- Swap toons and run Black Hole: conquest finished in 15 minutes.

You've now just completed conquest on 4 toons in about an hour. Compared to how Conquest used to be, it is mind-numblingly easy to complete now. I routinely complete conquest on 20 toons every week, and honestly could probably finish even more if I bothered to make more toons. I think there was one time when I was away for most of the week and came back and completed conquest on all my toons in a single day. It's NOT hard or time consuming to do it right now.

So now, with these changes, instead of taking 15 minutes per toon, it'll take 30 since you'll have to combine some of the activities mentioned above to complete conquest. Big Deal, it's still light years ahead of where it was when they first launched conquest and how it was until 6.x. Get some perspective here people. I remember a time when it was hard to complete conquest on even a single toon.

Let's be real here for a minute. Getting Conquest finished on any give toon right now is NOT hard. It literally takes 10-15 minutes per toon:

- Swap toons, run starter planet and capital planet Heroics: conquest finished in 15 minutes.

- Swap factions/toons and run starter/capital planet heroics on the opposite side: conquest done in 15 minutes

You've now just completed conquest on 4 toons in about an hour. Compared to how Conquest used to be, it is mind-numblingly easy to complete now. I routinely complete conquest on 20 toons every week, and honestly could probably finish even more if I bothered to make more toons. I think there was one time when I was away for most of the week and came back and completed conquest on all my toons in a single day. It's NOT hard or time consuming to do it right now.

So now, with these changes, instead of taking 15 minutes per toon, it'll take 30 since you'll have to combine some of the activities mentioned above to complete conquest. Big Deal, it's still light years ahead of where it was when they first launched conquest and how it was until 6.x. Get some perspective here people. I remember a time when it was hard to complete conquest on even a single toon.

This is my thought as well. an extra 50k per character is nothing. I last month or 2 I finished 22 characters by Friday, and barely did anything else for the rest of the weekend. I could have easily done 15 more if I had the interest in it. So I do conquest on a few less characters I normally would due to the increase. It's not really a problem whatsoever. doing it on 15 characters in a week will still be very easy, and that alone tells me it's still very alt Friendly.

Keep in mind I've played on the PTS and didn't notice any other changes to conquest other then the loss of Gaining a renown rank Objective.

Edited by Toraak

You also, then, should remember how unhappy players were when Conquest wasn't as quick and then how much happier they are with what we finally have. It's strange to me to take a long time to make something into a mechanic players enjoy participating in, only to revert back toward an era they were less happy with.

So now, with these changes, instead of taking 15 minutes per toon, it'll take 30 since you'll have to combine some of the activities mentioned above to complete conquest.

So in your opinion the changes won't solve this problem

What we have seen throughout 6.0 was that the rate of Conquest completion was not contributing to these facets in a healthy manner. It was increasing the rate of acquisition for what should be long term goals for players, promoting a playstyle of interruptive play as players hit their Conquest target and then swap out their characters, creating social pressures to participate in Conquest as often as possible, and adding to the on-going economic changes we have seen in the game over the past year.

All four of your examples are incorrect. There is no way you are finishing any of them in 15 minutes or less. 30 minutes minimum for each as long as there is little to no competition in CZ or Black Hole. Lots of people come on here and say multiple heroics can be completed on a single toon in less than 15 minutes and quite frankly, they are all lying.

There are a few single heroics that can be completed in that time but 2 or more will take at least 15 minutes and that won't get you 50K much less 100K. The issue however, is not that multiple toons can't be completed, but rather that they are not rewarding at all for the effort. You will no longer get the Conquest mat, will get 1/8 of the credits and as a guild you will get half as many encryptions for the same effort (which you need at least 150 of to unlock any room and the good rooms need 250)

If all they did was increase the CXP needed to 100K, it would not be an issue. Reducing the rewards down to almost nothing is where the problem lies.

All four of your examples are incorrect. There is no way you are finishing any of them in 15 minutes or less. 30 minutes minimum for each as long as there is little to no competition in CZ or Black Hole. Lots of people come on here and say multiple heroics can be completed on a single toon in less than 15 minutes and quite frankly, they are all lying.

There are a few single heroics that can be completed in that time but 2 or more will take at least 15 minutes and that won't get you 50K much less 100K. The issue however, is not that multiple toons can't be completed, but rather that they are not rewarding at all for the effort. You will no longer get the Conquest mat, will get 1/8 of the credits and as a guild you will get half as many encryptions for the same effort (which you need at least 150 of to unlock any room and the good rooms need 250)

If all they did was increase the CXP needed to 100K, it would not be an issue. Reducing the rewards down to almost nothing is where the problem lies.

I've been on the PTS. There is a different conquest mat now. It's called Aquatic Resource Matrix. You get 2 for getting 100k conquest, not sure on how many you get for guild reward, since I'm not in a guild on PTS.

Maybe they have supercomputers that have no lag and eliminate re-spawn timers. :D I'll be honest I'm not peeved about the matrixes (It's not ideal but Jawa Junk to the rescue) I can even understand the credit removal (not very happy at all but dyes to the rescue) I am so darn scared of the gearing "rewards" I am literally dreading it. I've already deleted four alts just because I can't be bothered running 14 characters for no credits. Gearing my 10 story characters will be nightmares enough.

But why penalize the guild rewards? Sure take the credits but leave the ship unlocks and just ban the sale on the GTN.:rolleyes:

I just now ran through CZ 198 in 9 minutes. Nine. I did have to send my companion to sell junk to get the last few dribs on conquest points to hit 50k. So the whole experience including logging in and logging out was more like 12 to 13 minutes.

If it helps:

Yes I run with a dps companion. I never stop to rest. I roll defensive cooldowns. My companion in this case was influence level 34. I was using a juggernaut. I'm using an Acer gaming laptop.

I don't think it's good to accuse people of lying when they aren't lying.

So now back onto the subject of Conquest.

On different threads people have been coming up with interesting ideas for credit sinks. I hope the developers will look into those.

Also, on many threads people have said that reducing the rewards for Conquest while also increasing the points necessary to finish on a character was too much. It should just be one or the other.

I think I probably agree with that, except that the primary rewards for Conquest will still be the new crafting mats and the flagship pieces. So I don't know that the reduced credit rewards are going to be so bad. But I hope Bioware has more ideas for combating hyperinflation than just eliminating credits for some Conquest objectives.

Last, I kinda get the idea that they are trying to stop herding players into what they call "interruptive" gameplay. I'm not opposed to that goal, necessarily. It does seem weird that they pretty much encourage me to play alts for only like a half hour or fifteen minutes at a time.

But I have to say that their gearing system seems at odds with that philosophy. Right now my plan in 7.0 is to have certain alts be Conquest alts, other alts be PvP alts, and so on. Whatever improvements might come from changing Conquest are going to immediately be nullified by the new gearing system. (And I think the new gearing system is foolish anyway, but that's got nothing to do with Conquest.)

/shrug

Edited by Darkbloom

I just now ran through CZ 198 in 9 minutes. Nine. I did have to send my companion to sell junk to get the last few dribs on conquest points to hit 50k. So the whole experience including logging in and logging out was more like 12 to 13 minutes.

If it helps:

Yes I run with a dps companion. I never stop to rest. I roll defensive cooldowns. My companion in this case was influence level 34. I was using a juggernaut. I'm using an Acer gaming laptop.

I don't think it's good to accuse people of lying when they aren't lying.

Exactly. Most people are really inefficient when they play, I'm not. I've literally timed myself multiple times. Look at the clock when you pick up the dailies from the terminal. Look at it again when you turn them in. I average 10-15 minutes max if another player is getting in my way. I run in the PVP zones because it's emptier. Most people are afraid of a little PVP. I'm not. It helps break up the monotony of Conquest.

You have to move fast, as soon as you're done with one mob, jump to the next. Jump on your speeder and aggro several mobs at once, then stack them up and AOE them down. Learn you class, your rotation, use your relics. It's not hard if you know how to play. But if all you do is run around spamming Hammer shot (or whatever your basic attack is), yeah, it's gonna take you 3 times as long. I see a lot of bad players out there. There is a guide for everything in this game, EV. RY. THING. Google it. Whatever it is, google it. You will find how to do it.

Exactly. Most people are really inefficient when they play, I'm not. I've literally timed myself multiple times. Look at the clock when you pick up the dailies from the terminal. Look at it again when you turn them in. I average 10-15 minutes max if another player is getting in my way. I run in the PVP zones because it's emptier. Most people are afraid of a little PVP. I'm not. It helps break up the monotony of Conquest.

You have to move fast, as soon as you're done with one mob, jump to the next. Jump on your speeder and aggro several mobs at once, then stack them up and AOE them down. Learn you class, your rotation, use your relics. It's not hard if you know how to play. But if all you do is run around spamming Hammer shot (or whatever your basic attack is), yeah, it's gonna take you 3 times as long. I see a lot of bad players out there. There is a guide for everything in this game, EV. RY. THING. Google it. Whatever it is, google it. You will find how to do it.

The issue I have with your statement about how long heroics take is that it is not true for the vast majority of players running these heroics which is what you strongly implied. You didn't mention that there were any "tricks" involved or what class you were running, what level your companion was, whether you have the full stronghold bonus, whether you were running a reknown boost which could easily get you an extra 12K CXP for popping 2 reknown levels (and reknown is only available to lvl 75 characters so if you don't have a stable of 75's those are points you can't get), are you getting a guild boost. All of those have a very large impact of point gains.

LOL. I really don't see how CZ 198 can take any longer than 10-12 minutes unless you are stopping to chat. Most people have a routine that streamlines efficiency in repeat content. While most of my characters are on the PvP instance which is bare, everything respawns in 1 minute or so. So even when there is somebody doing the same thing as me, it doesn't add much time at all to the routine if I'm forced to deviate. There is also the option to group up with people in the same area that will actually speed up the "killing" objectives.

That doesn't always work for some players and it isn't because they don't know how to play, it also could be they have been interrupted by something in real life. If you can play without interruptions, terrific, but not all of us can, we have other responsibilities and cannot always run straight through a heroic or a daily without stopping. If I am not interrupted I can get through them fast but unfortunately for me that is far and few between when I have a mother I have to take care of and never know when she will need something, so let's be real here there are more reasons a person cannot get through something fast and not always is it not because they do not how to play.

Edited by casirabit

Gotta love the people that cry for Bioware to "do something" about "inflation." Congrats, whiners! You deserve this nonsensical solution.

Absolutely my first reaction.

People who know nothing about economics (including at least one poster above you who claims infusion of credits into the game has nothing to do with inflation) have been posting profusely using words they don't understand (inflation, money laundering, exploits, whales, ...). As I like to say "BW took a machete to do brain surgery and operated on the wrong person to boot" once again.

That doesn't always work for some players and it isn't because they don't know how to play, it also could be they have been interrupted by something in real life. If you can play without interruptions, terrific, but not all of us can, we have other responsibilities and cannot always run straight through a heroic or a daily without stopping. If I am not interrupted I can get through them fast but unfortunately for me that is far and few between when I have a mother I have to take care of and never know when she will need something, so let's be real here there are more reasons a person cannot get through something fast and not always is it not because they do not how to play.

Amen! I have heath problems, if I can run the basic Tython/ Ord Mantel/Coruscant Heroics in under 90mins its a very good day! That's leaving out helping out with my Grandmother with Dementia, and the unexpected. On a bad day it can take me 3hrs.

Hi fellow Acer! :D I have the worst internet known to man. But I've run Ord Mantle heroics under 20 minutes and of course Tython and Korriban.

Haha my internet is pretty good. It just sometimes stops completely for no good reason. I think internet providers are often a great example of why economists are right about the dangers of monopolistic corporations.

Oh yeah, and the Acer? I mean it's great for what it is. And I feel like it's great for what it is precisely because it never tries to be anything other than what it is.

You have to move fast, as soon as you're done with one mob, jump to the next. Jump on your speeder and aggro several mobs at once, then stack them up and AOE them down.

Yeah now for me, sometimes the old accountant side of me comes out and I want to be efficient. But that's actually not why I play the way I do when I'm soloing.

For me, it's all about the story/fantasy that I am protecting my companion.

When I run with a dps companion, especially when I'm on a class that doesn't have taunt and I let the companion use all their abilities, that can occasionally be a real challenge. Those companions love to draw aggro with their AoE abilities. But even when it's not a challenge it's still quite fun for me.

When I solo I play with the camera zoomed all the way in. I have all my UI down to a tiny scale and off to the side, so I can focus on the action. I really put myself in the mindset that I am this warrior or this Jedi, protecting Vette or whoever.

The only problem is all these years of playing RPG's have brainwashed me into "I MUST ALWAYS PICK UP LOOT WAMPAWAMPAWAMPA I SEE LOOT I MUST HAS WAMPAWAMPAWAMPA." And that always takes me out of my rhythm and sometimes out of the fantasy itself. I don't know why I can't stop myself from doing it. It's such useless loot that drops from mobs.

Actually!

Hey, Bioware, there's an idea to put a tiny little ding in inflation. Get rid of all that trash loot. None of it is useful for anything other than infusing credits into the game because no one can do anything with it other than vendor it. Then, if you got rid of the trash loot, it would probably be easier to implement true auto loot for all the mobs who only drop some credits.

Hey, look at that, I came up with a decent idea.

Hi all,

Following up from Musco’s post last week, I wanted to swing around and chat about some of the 7.0 changes we are making to Conquest. We want to provide you all a heads up on these coming changes, and also go into some of the thoughts and reasoning behind them.

Update to the Personal Conquest Goal

As some of you may have noted from our most recent PTS, the goal for Personal Conquest will be increased from the previous 50,000 points to 100,000 points for “Legacy of the Sith”.

There are numerous facets to Conquest we have been reviewing:

• The economic impacts the system has had over the 6.0 era
  • The engagement impacts of the system and how that has affected not just the individual player but how it has affected the greater community as a whole
  • How Conquest is going to be tied into the 7.0 systems and gameplay loops

We want to ensure that Conquest remains a viable and enjoyable loop for all types of players, while also ensuring that it is promoting a healthy relationship for players and the connecting systems.

We believe the starting point of all of this is in the rate of which Conquest can be completed. This rate has an immediate and direct effect on every facet mentioned above.

• It contributes to how many additional credits are being generated per week across the game
  • How many Guild Flagship Encryptions can be obtained and thus how rapidly a Guild can progress their Flagship
  • How many characters a player decides to run through the Conquest cycle
  • Which Conquest Objectives players favor in order to maximize their goals

All of these are a direct result of the rate in which Conquest can be completed. What we have seen throughout 6.0 was that the rate of Conquest completion was not contributing to these facets in a healthy manner. It was increasing the rate of acquisition for what should be long term goals for players, promoting a playstyle of interruptive play as players hit their Conquest target and then swap out their characters, creating social pressures to participate in Conquest as often as possible, and adding to the on-going economic changes we have seen in the game over the past year.

We reviewed various goal amounts, both with their impact on the systems currently and soon to be associated with Conquest, but also with the player experience in mind. After this review, we found that 100,000 was the best bridge between the goals of maintaining the health of these systems while minimizing the impact for all players. We want to maintain that Conquest is an enjoyable system which rewards you for doing virtually anything the game has to offer, while also proactively working to ensure we can provide a healthy and responsible symbiotic relation to the economy, and additional systems and progression tied around it. We want to ensure that Conquest is still a system where players feel that they can run it with multiple characters each week, but that it is not the only way to enjoy Conquest.

Update to Objective Rewards

Starting with 7.0, Conquest Objectives will no longer reward experience or credits for completing them. We are making this change to help reduce the number of credits being generated in the game, as well as removing the experience loop Conquest has had in the past.

While Conquest is not solely responsible for some of the economic shifts we have seen in the game, it is definitely a strong contributor. The credit amount for individual Objectives was never considered high; however, over time those values begin to add up to a non-zero impact sum.

As an example of this, one of the more completed Objectives, “Missions: Story Time”, has generated nearly 64 billion credits into the economy alone. This is not taking into consideration the Credits players earned for completing the Story Mission itself (which could exponentially expand this value). As you can see, the combination of the Objective Credit reward with the Mission Credit reward is generating more credits into the game than necessary.

The removal of the experience reward is being done to help contribute toward the health of the leveling process, while also removing a self-generating loop in Conquest where completing Conquest Objectives would grant experience to level a player up. This would complete the ‘Advancement: Gain a Level’, ‘Advancement: Gain 5 Levels’, or ‘Renown: Rank Up’, thus gaining a player more experience. This loop in combination of the impact on the leveling experience are the reasons we are removing experience rewards from Conquest Objectives.

We want to maintain that the activity you are doing is the focal point and should provide the Credits and experience reward; not the Conquest Objective itself.

We hope this helps shine some light on the intent of the 7.0 Conquest changes!

Remember "Play your way" your guys tagline??? Its now coming across as play as we (bioware) tell you to.

My friends bar one are at this point all long gone, my raid teams quit over a year ago and you just made having my 41 alts pointless.

So my question for you David (which lets face it we all know you aren't going to bother answering because at this point you guys don't care and are totally deaf to the community) is,

Why should i still sub? or give this game a penny more?

the only reason i'm still subbed is to conquest cap by playing alts. you just removed that, i may as well sub for 1 month to do the new story which will takes less than a day as normal then unsub because it will be 8 months till anymore story comes and my alts are going to be pointless and unplayed.

I've been on the PTS. There is a different conquest mat now. It's called Aquatic Resource Matrix. You get 2 for getting 100k conquest, not sure on how many you get for guild reward, since I'm not in a guild on PTS.

I think this is something that people legitimately got confused by because of the way Bioware worded their explanation of Conquest changes.

In 7.0, you will still get the relevant crafting mats for doing Conquest. The resource matrix mats will then be the old mats, so they will be on the Jawa Junk vendors with all the other outdated mats.

People who know nothing about economics (including at least one poster above you who claims infusion of credits into the game has nothing to do with inflation) have been posting profusely using words they don't understand (inflation, money laundering, exploits, whales, ...). As I like to say "BW took a machete to do brain surgery and operated on the wrong person to boot" once again.

I made no such claim. The vast majority of the items for sale with prices into the tens of millions and high millions are CM items. I just recently completed a search on the GTM for the word "crystals." There were around 2-3 dozen items going for 1B credits each. Oddly, four of them were for CQ loot, which I simply chalk up to these players not having any idea of just how worthless those crystal nodes are in the game. But--who knows?--they may find another clueless wealthy individual to buy it. There were a handful of decos going for 10's of millions. The majority of items were craftable and did not strike me as going for obscene amounts of credits.

I also did a search for desh and I looked over the costs only for the crafting material. All save one seller had them in the unit price range of 1000-10000 each, with the outlier being 50K for a single piece of desh. None of this strikes me as being inflationary.

If the GTM were in the grips of a serious inflationary spiral, I imagine the price for desh and other Level 1 mats would be vastly higher--perhaps that 50K outlier I mentioned above might be the low-end of the price curve if the entire GTN were in the grips of a seriously inflationary spiral. But it isn't. Anyway, I am certain the Devs are pleased that the CC items have increased in price--likely due to speculation (aka greed) because this makes it more likely that people will be unable to afford to the pay the credits for Armor Set X they really have their hearts set on, so they may bring up the Cartel Market, see Set X is available for purchase and buy the lump sum of CC closest to the price of what they want and buy the Armor Set X with the CC.

An individual sector of the economy seeing prices being inflated is not a major cause for alarm. CC items should always be at a premium because the majority of them on the GTN are being acquired with real funds at this point most likely. How much of this is to be blamed on the end of the referral program? Since people aren't getting a great abundance of CC for free anymore, the cost is greater to obtain CC, so GTN prices rise on CC items.

Applying this to a national economy in the real world, energy prices and food prices are remaining stable, but the prices for yachts have increased by 25% over the last year? Is this a major crisis for most people? No. What if you you want to buy a yacht? You're probably unhappy.

Yup !! Pretty much.

In the end IMO it's not about change in just the 7.0 CQ's ... it's everything else combined with it. Essentially a reboot of the entire game MINUS a lot of the good stuff that many of us enjoyed.

The story: I'm still looking forward to it. My sub wont run out until after it's released. Plenty of folks that have done an excellent job of presenting actual facts about those changes. Too many of us (myself included) have strong attachments to the game and have thrown in our opinions about what we see as some missed opportunities. Those missed opportunities IMO still overshadow what could have been a real blast for the 10th anniversary. Let's face it ... BW isn't the only one who has invested 10 years into this game. It's only natural to become a bit passionate (even from a players / gamers stand point of view.)

If the game mechanics were becoming a bit more challenging that would be one thing. The approach that's being presented is more than just that.

I hope that I'm wrong and that in the end some of the "facts" that we have seen from PTS feed back and a number of VERY reliable players who have presented that information will be ... ( hmmm ... looking for the right word or phrase here ... ) listened to. And regardless of whether we are in guilds or solo ... PvP or PvE there will still be not just a few isolated parts to look at for a brief moment, but rather a genuine expansion that we can enjoy.

( Yeah ... I know.. that's a bit over the top. But it beats the heck out of throwing a tantrum !! )

[/shrugs]

OH well !! Time will tell.

Edited by OlBuzzard