7.0 Conquest Changes

DavidStaats

So question for the week ahead for conquest since were still in 6.0 is it 50k or 100k for Tuesday the 15th.

When your character reaches 50k this week, they will automatically get the personal reward, like they do every week. But if that character is in a guild that makes its small/medium/large planet invasion goal (which will not change), and you want them to receive the guild reward next Tuesday, that character will need to have 100k.

Well so am I and I am happy to do the same. This has all the elements of a contract, granted it may not be enforceable as you say, but it would still be a contract. Question, do you actually read the EULA?

I read it, and look occasionally to see if they've updated it. The Terms of Service are relevant, too, and I've read them as well.

I'm curious what you think is the consideration here? There is nothing of actual value promised.

I read it, and look occasionally to see if they've updated it. The Terms of Service are relevant, too, and I've read them as well.

I'm curious what you think is the consideration here? There is nothing of actual value promised.

That's interesting... you think there is nothing of actual value? Forbes wrote an article back in 2012 that virtual items have value and are purchased and sold by game players for real money in the real world. Bioware sells cartel coins for real money and you use cartel coins to purchase virtual items. You expend time and effort to obtain credits that you can then turn around and purchase the same virtual items on the GTN. Flagship plans sell for a lot of credits on the GTN, even more so now that it will be more difficult to obtain them in 7.0.

For me the consideration is the time and effort I spend doing the tasks necessary to reach 50,000 on each character so come Tuesday, I get a Flagship Plans: Encryption on each character. The Guild Invasions tab indicates the items that each character will receive from a small yield should the guild as a whole reach their conquest level of 500,000. This is for the efforts expended this week. In exchange for virtual items, Bioware gets a busy server full of people doing similar tasks, hopefully enticing others to come play the game, and yes many of them paying a monthly fee in actual money. Both sides benefit.

Now, I am sure you can pull out some rule in the EULA or Terms of Service that invalidates this as an actual enforceable contract. I am not arguing against you on that. I am merely saying that to me, my efforts have value and the virtual items have value to me and I am not the only one. Someone, maybe in this thread, was exasperated that their "Schematic: Crystal of Nightmare Fury" that they just spent all this time and effort obtaining was going to be converted to 100 credits in 7.0 Now could they go to a real court over their grievance? Oh hell no. Would I go over my frustrations, oh hell no. So, if you need to hear me say it, yes you are right that legally there is no enforceable contract here. But, do not discount the value that people place on the virtual items and on their own time and effort. If Bioware does this, they could find themselves losing monthly subscribers.

That's interesting... you think there is nothing of actual value? Forbes wrote an article back in 2012 that virtual items have value and are purchased and sold by game players for real money in the real world. Bioware sells cartel coins for real money and you use cartel coins to purchase virtual items. You expend time and effort to obtain credits that you can then turn around and purchase the same virtual items on the GTN. Flagship plans sell for a lot of credits on the GTN, even more so now that it will be more difficult to obtain them in 7.0.

For me the consideration is the time and effort I spend doing the tasks necessary to reach 50,000 on each character so come Tuesday, I get a Flagship Plans: Encryption on each character. The Guild Invasions tab indicates the items that each character will receive from a small yield should the guild as a whole reach their conquest level of 500,000. This is for the efforts expended this week. In exchange for virtual items, Bioware gets a busy server full of people doing similar tasks, hopefully enticing others to come play the game, and yes many of them paying a monthly fee in actual money. Both sides benefit.

Now, I am sure you can pull out some rule in the EULA or Terms of Service that invalidates this as an actual enforceable contract. I am not arguing against you on that. I am merely saying that to me, my efforts have value and the virtual items have value to me and I am not the only one. Someone, maybe in this thread, was exasperated that their "Schematic: Crystal of Nightmare Fury" that they just spent all this time and effort obtaining was going to be converted to 100 credits in 7.0 Now could they go to a real court over their grievance? Oh hell no. Would I go over my frustrations, oh hell no. So, if you need to hear me say it, yes you are right that legally there is no enforceable contract here. But, do not discount the value that people place on the virtual items and on their own time and effort. If Bioware does this, they could find themselves losing monthly subscribers.

I am glad we agree that there is no enforceable contract for Conquest, which was my point.

For the record, I also agree that individuals (myself included) will clearly assign personal value to their time, and to in-game items. That value will vary from individual to individual - it's not a static or objective thing. And I also thoroughly understand the anger in the announcement, five days before launch, that several items in which people invested time and in-game resources will be removed without any real attempt at replacing their value regardless of whether or not certain game changes with 7.0 impact that value (not all tacticals being removed are becoming obsolete with skill changes, for example).

As for your final statement - hard agree. This isn't the only change BioWare is making that could find them losing monthly subscribers - it's just the latest.