Itemization in 7.0

EricMusco

how is it fair to have a solo mode for operations?

having solo mode fps is bad enough

Very fair. You get the gear you need for your content, I want to be able to finish my story my way.

But I'll settle for a cutscene where I enter the room and Dread Master are so afraid of me they all die of heart attack.

Very fair. You get the gear you need for your content, I want to be able to finish my story my way.

But I'll settle for a cutscene where I enter the room and Dread Master are so afraid of me they all die of heart attack.

no1 is getting the gear they need for their content, every1 will be overgeared oricon story is a side mission just like every other mission with ops

no1 is getting the gear they need for their content, every1 will be overgeared oricon story is a side mission just like every other mission with ops

Not true. I can'f finish planetary story without doing ops. You have your gear gated behind your favorite type of content and now you also have my story gated behind your favorite type of content. This is what's really unfair.

Not true. I can'f finish planetary story without doing ops. You have your gear gated behind your favorite type of content and now you also have my story gated behind your favorite type of content. This is what's really unfair.

not true? planetary story is a side quest its unfair if you compare it to 6.0, if you compare it to most other MMORPG's not only do you not have access to the gear but u also dont have the option for solo dungeons(fps)

hell in ff as early as lv 20 u have to complete dungeons to progress on your main scenario quest and you cant solo those dungeons

Edited by ebinhovdloca

Hi everyone,

This is a follow up post to the OP to answer some of the questions that we've based off of the initial information that was shared. Please see below:

Clarification on gear ratings

What is the max gear level?

• In the 7.0 release, players can upgrade up to level 330 via Legacy Master Mode Operations. The max obtainable gear level for all modes will rise over time throughout the expansion.

Max new gear ratings (7.0 gear upgrade caps):

• 326: This can be obtained by doing anything in game (Conquests).
  • 322: Story Mode Legacy Operations
  • 326: Veteran Mode Legacy Operations
  • 330: Master Mode Legacy Operations

In the 7.0 release, it is only possible to upgrade to level 330 via Master Mode Operations. Over time, all other game modes will be able to upgrade to level 330 as the ceiling is raised, so essentially, gear progression is built into all modes.

What is the PvP experience like with these changes?

• PvP will have a stat floor and ceiling, so players with higher levels of gear will have their gear reduced to the stat ceiling (326). GSF will be awarded akin to the PvP upgrade loop.
  • GSF will be awarded akin to the PvP upgrade loop.
  • There are no current plans for Social Achievements for PvP.

PvP Gear and Accuracy clarification.

• Thyrsian armor, acquired by participating in PvP, will not contain any accuracy
  • Thyrsian offhands will come in two stat distributions, one with accuracy and one without. Players will be able to choose which version of offhand they desire, or collect both.

Can I acquire mats to max gear and mods without having to do grouped content?

• Over time, as more patches are released in the expansion, you will be able to upgrade your gear more and more, including unlocking the moddable gear vendor.

What is happening with Tech Fragments?

• Tech Fragments will remain, and will still be able to be spent on Tacticals, Cosmetics, Augment Components, and Kai Zykken’s offerings.

Will the achievements currently categorized under "Spoils of War", the Equipment Sets and Tactical Items also be moved to the Feats of Strength category or will they still be achievable in 7.0?

• The Spoils of War equipment sets will no longer drop from content nor be able to be directly purchased from a vendor. As a result, the achievements will be moved to the Feats of Strength category. The sets will still be obtainable via Kai Zykken’s Random Unique Items box.

What will happen to all the armor sets being sold by vendors in the supplies section of the fleet in exchange for tech fragments and credits?

• They will not be available for direct purchase, but will be available in Kai Zykken’s Random Unique Items Box

Will the DvL items be available for credits instead of tokens?

• No - DvL items will remain available for tokens. We will add back in the ability to acquire tokens in a future update via the DvL bosses.

Is the only way we can get moddable gear is if we can clear VM 80 OP? Is there no more min/maxing for players who can't clear the hardest content in game?

• No. Over time, as upgrade ceilings raise with new game updates, moddable gear will be accessible to all players. At 7.0’s launch there will be no moddable gear awarded above level 306

Are Renown Caches going away?

• Yes as the Renown system is being removed.

Are individual characters that already have a social level keeping their social level and access to the associated items in 7.0?

• Yes, you will keep your current social level and access to all unlocked rewards.

How do these changes affect story players in terms of getting rewards toward gearing?

• Story players will still earn materials and gear via Conquests and Story mode missions, Dailies, and Heroics.

How does this affect crafting?

• Augments and Augmentation Kits are still craftable, and able to be used on all 7.0 gear. We are not raising Crew Skills, Gathering or Crafting levels upon the 7.0 release, but they are a part of our 10-year celebration plans.

Where is the vendor for command crate shells?

• These will be available for purchase on a vendor with 7.0’s launch for 3,500 Tech Fragments and 500,000 Credits.

For additional clarification on how gearing works in 7.0, to advance your character’s gear, you’ll want to do the following:

1. Play Conquests/Daily Missions regularly - currency from this is used for gear upgrades across all other content, and the gear pool from this alone will upgrade you beyond what's needed for any solo activity. Max gear from this source is 326 at launch, and will increase in future patches - see #4 below.
    • All other solo (and most multiplayer) activities for 7.0 and beyond are balanced for 318 gear.
    • For comparison, completing the 7.0 storyline rewards gear up to level 320.

[*]Play Flashpoints, Warzones, and/or Ops as you like - gear drops from those activities will upgrade you regardless of where your currently-equipped gear came from.

[*]For Players with a favorite activity type, currencies and sidegrades from that activity will allow you to upgrade to the max needed for that activity, simply by playing that activity (plus Conquests/Daily missions).

[*]We will introduce higher tiers of gear in future 7.x updates. Even as the max gear rewards go up, the balance target for all solo and most multiplayer activities will remain at 318 for all 7.x content.

• The balance target for new Operations/Lair Bosses/etc (8-player) will increase as new tiers of gear become available in later patches, starting with the R-4 Operation in 7.1. Legacy Operations will remain balanced for 318.
  • The item rating floor and ceiling for Warzones will also raise over time.

I hope this has been helpful!

Jackie, I have a question regarding the mods vendor and pvp / flash points.

It seems pvp will have the lowest lvl gear rewarded because of the gear cap, so I’m assuming pvpers will also be the last to get access to the mods vendor if it’s only raised 1 gear rating each patch.

Can you please find out for us what the rough time frame is going to be till pvpers and flash point players will have access to the moddable vendor?

Will it be 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, 6 months or 12 months?

I think if players have some idea when, they will be able to plan their gaming experience better. Half the anxiety people are feeling is not knowing when or what the reasons are for such a dramatic shift in the gearing systems.

Part of the experience is being able to customise our gear and stats the way we want. Taking that away for a period of time makes for a degraded playing experience.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

not true? planetary story is a side quest its unfair if you compare it to 6.0,

And when did I do that? I said I want to finish my story the way I like to finish my story, that is solo.

if you compare it to most other MMORPG's not only do you not have access to the gear

I don't pay for most most other MMORPGs, I don't care about most other MMORPGs, I pay and care for this one.

but u also dont have the option for solo dungeons(fps)

I told you, I'll be fine with Dread Masters just dying out of fear at my sight in a cutscene.

And when did I do that? I said I want to finish my story the way I like to finish my story, that is solo.

I don't pay for most most other MMORPGs, I don't care about most other MMORPGs, I pay and care for this one.

I told you, I'll be fine with Dread Masters just dying out of fear at my sight in a cutscene.

so its unfair because you compare it in a vacuum(everything will be disappointing and unfair if u compare it in a vaccuum)

compared to other games of the genre the option to play some solo fps (or the choice to not play the ops on revan[main story]) is unique.

taking what makes this game unique and better than most other MMORPG's for granted isnt healthy

Edited by ebinhovdloca

Still, I never accept anything the devs say as being true until I see what they actually do. I know it is unfortunate, but they have not proven themselves trustworthy in my opinion.

Sad but very true. Their past promises or omissions of information have often hidden some nasty surprises. Anyone still remember when they moved the west coast server to the east coast and we lost nearly all the remaining APAC players and a good amount of west coast players? That betrayal of our trust will never heal for me (being an APAC player). For me to even play I have pay an extra $30 a month (on top of my sub) for WTFast or my ping jumps all over the place and the game is unplayable.

As I've said before I am a player for 4+ years with Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Fatigue, and Chronic Pain. My effort doing Story Content is equal to (if not greater) than a NiM Raider! It costs me physically to play this game and I am terrified that the price just doubled. So, gear is important to me, the better the gear the less physical price I pay, the longer they get my 15$ a month.

And it's important to me too. Been playing far longer, and y'know what? You're not the only one with something limiting them. That's not how the cost/reward is measured. Some can't do the PvE space content. Some can't do OPs because their mind can't handle the rapid changes. Some simply don't have the time anymore. Each are limited in some way. The price hasn't doubled. You, me, and every other solo player don't need the top rated gear. This change is not a bad thing. We're just spoiled by the current system. And folks don't like change because they're afraid of it, and the boogyeman "maybes" and the "could be".

so its unfair because you compare it in a vacuum(everything will be disappointing and unfair if u compare it in a vaccuum)

I make no comparison, I criticize a product I'm paying for.

compared to other games of the genre the option to play some solo fps (or the choice to not play the ops on revan[main story]) is unique.

Why would I compare something I like, or at least liked to this point, to something I don't find appealing?

taking what makes this game unique and better than most other MMORPG's for granted isnt healthy

Yes! But then why are you arguing agaist people who don't like the fact that one of the things making SWTOR unique and better is being taken away?

Edited by juliushorst

I make no comparison, I criticize a product I'm paying for.

Why would I compare something I like, or at least liked to this point, to something I don't find appealing?

Yes! But then why are you arguing agaist people who don't like the fact that the thing making SWTOR unique and better being taken away?

it isnt being taken away tho you still have access to solo fps and modded gear only difference will be raiders having more tertiary stats because they play harder content

to give a good critique you need to take into account multiple examples of the same thing, not just the thing you are criticing , liking or disliking is irelevant comparing is the only way to see how spoiled players are in swtor

Edited by ebinhovdloca

it isnt being taken away tho you still have access to solo fps and modded gear only difference will be raiders having more tertiary stats because they play harder content

And before that good set bonuses like Apex Predator were exclusive to ops. Nobody complained about that. That's sensible, probably only ops players can fully utilize it.

But then if you recognize ops players can utilize and enjoy higher stats and better bonuses why do you want to deprive me of something I can utilize and enjoy, that is conclusion to a questline?

to give a good critique you need to take into account multiple examples of the same thing, not just the thing you are criticing , liking or disliking is irelevant comparing is the only way to see how spoiler players are in swtor

If your only defense is "other games in the genre are even worse" that's an extremely weak defense.

And before that good set bonuses like Apex Predator were exclusive to ops. Nobody complained about that. That's sensible, probably only ops players can fully utilize it.

But then if you recognize ops players can utilize and enjoy higher stats and better bonuses why do you want to deprive me of something I can utilize and enjoy, that is conclusion to a questline?

If your only defense is "other games in the genre are even worse" that's an extremely weak defense.

ppl did complain about the apex predator set and sets being locked to NiM dxun(mainly because they got spoiled about having most of the gears on a vendor), if a questline has an ops or a fp u should not be able to solo it, the fact that u can in swtor is good

"even worse", no AFAIK swtor is the ONLY game in the genre to offer the option to complete group content as a solo player, u are playing an MMORPG, not a single player game, this is the only and best defense u need ,comparing games of the same genre not attacking the system without having a basis to compare it too, if swtor complied with the norms of an MMORPG you would not have the option to solo any fp, and if they never added said option, no1 would even think twice about having the option in the firstplace

Edited by ebinhovdloca

I have learned a lot today:

1) Raiders need better gear. Whether this is to compensate for ____, or because they are bad players that could use a boost, I'm still not sure.

2) An interesting new meta is coming with 7.0 - find a raider, pick a rude emote, and apply

I have learned a lot today:

1) Raiders need better gear. Whether this is to compensate for ____, or because they are bad players that could use a boost, I'm still not sure.

2) An interesting new meta is coming with 7.0 - find a raider, pick a rude emote, and apply

where was that said?

did u have the same meta in every expansion outside of 6,0? since 6,0 is the only expansion that fought against the norm

Edited by ebinhovdloca

ppl did complain about the apex predator set and sets being locked to NiM dxun(mainly because they got spoiled about having most of the gears on a vendor), if a questline has an ops or a fp u should not be able to solo it, the fact that u can in swtor is good

"even worse", no AFAIK swtor is the ONLY game in the genre to offer the option to complete group content as a solo player, u are playing an MMORPG, not a single player game, this is the only and best defense u need ,comparing games of the same genre not attacking the system without having a basis to compare it too, if swtor complied with the norms of an MMORPG you would not have the option to solo any fp, and if they never added said option, no1 would even think twice about having the option in the firstplace

And having an Ops as part of the story is exactly why Oricon is the ONLY story that has that, and that SoR which came after has an option to either do the Ops, or take the solo route. But they didn't hand out the Ops gear either. And nobody complained.

In 6.0, some of the BiS set bonus gear was gated behind Ops. We didn't die, it didn't keep us from being able to do solo content. We used the next best thing. And it was enough.

And we were thankful.

Sorry I had to.

They mentioned it here:

Essentially, rather than having to wait 2 years for a giant gear upgrade (like 258 -> 306), we are going to get incremental upgrades every patch (which I am assuming will be ~3-4 months). Typically most MMORPG do this where there are ~3 patches per year, and each patch would introduce a new tier of gear, that is slightly better then the old. This gives an illusion of constant progress and often has higher retention. Obviously this has it's drawbacks as well, as players often feel like they are never 'done' and has to constantly grind.

With 6.0 we only got 3 content patches, and that took 2 years. 6.0 launched in October of 2019, and 6.3 didn't release until September 2021. With that type of release cycle we will be waiting a lot more than 3 to 4 months for each patch.

And having an Ops as part of the story is exactly why Oricon is the ONLY story that has that, and that SoR which came after has an option to either do the Ops, or take the solo route. But they didn't hand out the Ops gear either. And nobody complained.

In 6.0, some of the BiS set bonus gear was gated behind Ops. We didn't die, it didn't keep us from being able to do solo content. We used the next best thing. And it was enough.

And we were thankful.

Sorry I had to.

nobody complained on SoR because 6.0 had not spoiled them yet, after 6.0 regarldess of the gearing system some1 will always be mad about it

Edited by ebinhovdloca

Maybe you don't remember, but the concentrated fire set for the first 6 months +- and people were happy with that, but after they nerfed the set and made it less effective for arsenal merc, people did complain. It was the only BiS dps gear that couldn't be purchased from a vendor, and that did upset people.

Maybe you don't remember, but the concentrated fire set for the first 6 months +- and people were happy with that, but after they nerfed the set and made it less effective for arsenal merc, people did complain. It was the only BiS dps gear that couldn't be purchased from a vendor, and that did upset people.

Especially pvpers who needed it as much as operation people. It took me 12 months to collect it from Kai Zykken.

maybe the majority was but there was always some1 that complained, after getting spoiled by 6.0 every gearing system will make some1 mad somewhere , before knowing what 6.0 was ppl didnt complain that the highest gear rating was only on ops, cause that was the norm on MMORPGs

ppl did complain about the apex predator set and sets being locked to NiM dxun(mainly because they got spoiled about having most of the gears on a vendor), if a questline has an ops or a fp u should not be able to solo it,

Then no main storyline should have them.

the fact that u can in swtor is good

Agreed. But I want them to do something about Oricon, Dreadseed and Shroud questlines. They are rather important to the lore, have large solo components and I can't finish them solo.

"even worse", no AFAIK swtor is the ONLY game in the genre to offer the option to complete group content as a solo player, u are playing an MMORPG, not a single player game, this is the only and best defense u need ,

It's no longer 2006. Secret World, for example, allows you to finish the story without any grouping. I don't care about the form the story is delivered in - can be open world questing, can be solo flashpoint, I want to be able to finish storyline solo.

comparing games of the same genre not attacking the system without having a basis to compare it too, if swtor complied with the norms of an MMORPG you would not have the option to solo any fp, and if they never added said option, no1 would even think twice about having the option in the firstplace

I can criticize whatever system I don't like just as much as you can praise any system you like. I can criticize not being able to finish Oricon solo when other instances allow solo alternatives for planetary plotlines. I can criticize gearing and all I need is to compare it to previous systems (4.0: bad but simple; 5.0: bad pre-vendors, decent post-vendors; 6.0: good; 7.0: awful based on what I know with possible improvements coming).

And it's important to me too. Been playing far longer, and y'know what? You're not the only one with something limiting them. That's not how the cost/reward is measured. Some can't do the PvE space content. Some can't do OPs because their mind can't handle the rapid changes. Some simply don't have the time anymore. Each are limited in some way. The price hasn't doubled. You, me, and every other solo player don't need the top rated gear. This change is not a bad thing. We're just spoiled by the current system. And folks don't like change because they're afraid of it, and the boogyeman "maybes" and the "could be".

I sincerely didn't mean to come across as the only person with Physical, Mental, or Emotional Challenges. I truly to not think BioWare has an obligation to meet every possible circumstance its player-base may have. However, I had serious problems with my hands when Spirit of Vengeance launched. It took months for the kinks to be worked out, and I nearly quit because the pain was almost unbearable. I'm terrified it's going to happen again. Top gear helps me through it and I will not stop saying that it is a need.

Edited by JakRoanin