Launcher Issues (Re-installing whole game)

MasterTrickery

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes me super excited for the next back-end update you all decide to do... Zero new content in these dumb back-end maintenance sessions, but just breaking things that should be reasonable tested before deployment. I work in software development and also play many games and no company even comes close to EA's lack of quality control. I love Star Wars and want to see this game continue, but EA's serious incompetency at the executive level is unmatched in the industry. I mean, what other gaming company makes it nearly impossible for some players to subscribe? Isn't the goal of any business to make money? LOL. EA is really unbelievable. Edited by bdaviau

Is there another workaround for this? I just re-subbed 2 days ago. I live var out in the country it took 30 hours to download it the first time. I am not a threaten to unsub type, but honestly, there has to be a way to just tell it not to update on the next launcher start. I don't have the desire to wait another day and a half for my bad internet to download this game again.

My advice to everyone here:

Keep a backup copy of the entire game. Then, when something like this happens, delete your game and copy over the backup copy. I just pulled out my old backup version from a few months ago and hopped right in without a problem and no downloads.

Or just download the Steam version (it's free also) and your account is still linked - all you're doing is using Steam as the launcher instead of Bioware's piece of **** breaking software.

Yep. JUST resubbed, spent all day yesterday playing. Logged in this morning and played for a bit to do some crafting. Came back this evening, and I've spent 3+ hours not downloading what the launcher calls a "patch 6.3.2a"

THREE HOURS. 8 megs a sec. ***?!

I just installed the game again like 3 days ago, and from 0 to running around IN WORLD playing was only 25 minutes. You people have some serious problems going on.

Hi everyone,

This is impacting some players who are using the launcher and not Steam. If you are experiencing this issue, please do not download the current patch until we complete our investigation.

OK... I loaded in to this happening. It broke both of my PCs due to the endless looping doing something that eventually gave me a blue screen of death. This post was HOURS before my trying. Could the patch have not been DISABLED to prevent the breaking of many PCs, stress on your servers, Etc.?

Or, is this an attempt to FORCE the use of the Steam interface? If it is, say so. I will not load it and will leave. But, be honest, say it. Don't backhandedly create problems for those not on the Steam interface, tell us, "All but the Steam interface is being discontinued."

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your patience as we investigated this issue. It has been resolved, however, please note that players who have downloaded or started to download the patch will have to re-download the game in its entirety. Those who have not patched should be able to log in and play the game as normal. We apologize for the inconvenience to the impacted players.

BULL. I have uninstalled TWICE. Reinstalled and the same loop.

Well, took a while but all 3 of my machines have finished with the process and appear to be working fine now. Reminder, this isn't the first time this has happened, and it won't be the last time. Honestly, this was, i believe, one of the speedier response times in getting the launcher fixed. Kudos to the Devs and Techs for a job well done.

Note to those switching to Steam... Steam does tend to work well, but it doesn't handle multiple SWTOR accounts unless you make multiple Steam accounts. I primarily use the launcher but I also keep the Steam version installed. Its a good backup for when when the launcher breaks.

As long has you have the space, both versions of the game co-habitat peacefully. I don't recommend getting rid of either version unless space is an issue. Mark my words, eventually it's gonna be the Steam version that chokes, and you'll be a happier camper if you have the launcher pre-installed and ready to go.

Yep. JUST resubbed, spent all day yesterday playing. Logged in this morning and played for a bit to do some crafting. Came back this evening, and I've spent 3+ hours not downloading what the launcher calls a "patch 6.3.2a"

THREE HOURS. 8 megs a sec. ***?!

I just installed the game again like 3 days ago, and from 0 to running around IN WORLD playing was only 25 minutes. You people have some serious problems going on.

I think I saw it creep up to 8.46MB/s - FFS maybe next time they could just mail us flash drives.

Do you also say thank you to people when they stop punching you in the face?

Stuff breaks. Yesterday it was a video game. Tomorrow it might be my car, or maybe the plumbing in my house will blow up. When the stuff gets fixed, you thank the fixer. On the bright side, the Devs don't charge extra for fixing things, that Mechanic and/or Plumber will charge you a small mint. Considering the number of hours I've put into this game over the last 8 years, and how little downtime I've had to deal with, I'm gonna stick with my opinion that the devs are doing a good job.

Stuff breaks. Yesterday it was a video game. Tomorrow it might be my car, or maybe the plumbing in my house will blow up. When the stuff gets fixed, you thank the fixer. On the bright side, the Devs don't charge extra for fixing things, that Mechanic and/or Plumber will charge you a small mint. Considering the number of hours I've put into this game over the last 8 years, and how little downtime I've had to deal with, I'm gonna stick with my opinion that the devs are doing a good job.

There was no excuse for this to have been broken. The slightest amount of diligence in Bioware's QA Department would have prevented this shenanigan in the first place.

This is the second game-re-download-requiring patch they've released in the span of 4 months. Probably have someone new on the team that isn't quite cut out for software development. They should let that person go to spare us of future incidents of this.

Those of you who haven't yet deleted everything will find your settings:

C:\Users\[windowsusername]\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor

Not that BW could've told you this when they said to reinstall your game...

So before I submit myself and my household to a service blocking bandwidth hogging download that took more than 24 hours last time I thought I'd try a few things:

1) Copied all files from SWTOR directories that had been modified in the past 48 hrs

2) Satisfied they were all log or settings files that would be regen'd dynamically anyway or prompt a repair or just fail I deleted the "originals" in the SWTOR directories

3) Deleted all previous update folders containing "partial downloads" after copying them elsewhere (>50GB clogging my drive that wasn't tidied up after successful BW patching, "Thanks BW for wasting my drive space, so kind.")

4) Relaunched game, it went straight into the update download so they haven't fixed anything as far as my current install is registered on their backend, it handshakes with my account details and bang, here's a kack-ton of timewasting and money-burning for your continued loyalty as a subscriber.

NB My rudimentary PC skills didn't find any obvious Registry entries I could extract and delete. Perhaps more savvy users can figure out how to ensure that the client side is devoid of the last few days of SWTOR "corruption" and see if that works. The game of avoiding the re-install is probably more rewarding than the game grind.

Edited by Morten_Venisse

Same here, game ran in the A.M. yesterday 10-6-2021,

In the afternoon launcher started 11 GB download, ran overnight, this am 22GB download in progress

ran launcher diag. no joy.

reset PC, router, modem.:(

downloaded LauncherRepairUtilityU2021.0.18

running launcher updater - running now for 40 minutes.

Makes me super excited for the next back-end update you all decide to do... Zero new content in these dumb back-end maintenance sessions, but just breaking things that should be reasonable tested before deployment. I work in software development and also play many games and no company even comes close to EA's lack of quality control. I love Star Wars and want to see this game continue, but EA's serious incompetency at the executive level is unmatched in the industry. I mean, what other gaming company makes it nearly impossible for some players to subscribe? Isn't the goal of any business to make money? LOL. EA is really unbelievable.

^^^^^THIS right here!!! I have been subbed since launch, and am really just about done with the incompetent level of this company! I worked closely with a military contractor developing software for Army simulations. And I promise you, software was not released until it was thoroughly tested. Which this is very obviously NOT!!!

I think my entire game is re-installing wouldn't be a patch that large

Hi im stuck in a download loop of 11gig.. please tell me what to do 3times now and iv sub since start and i dont really want to loom everywhere for a reply or responce on what to do.. please make it clear to every one on the splash screen or BIG ANNOUNCE MENT>> PLEASE 2days now cant login

Bioware uses it's paying customers for all testing. You must not have been around for long. :D

But I would like to thank Bioware for giving me yet another good reason to finally give up and un-install this mess. Their code has been bug-infested since launch and I think I've given them way way too long to get their act together.

I know you're just having a rhetorical go, but <trauma> has been around for a very long time.