Launcher Issues (Re-installing whole game)

MasterTrickery

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any way to avoid redownloading a freaking 12 GB game again (6 hours download for me)?

Note to self: I'm going to start keep damn backups after each update to avoid this in the future.

Yeah. Stop the download for now until they come up with a fix.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your patience as we investigated this issue. It has been resolved, however, please note that players who have downloaded or started to download the patch will have to re-download the game in its entirety. Those who have not patched should be able to log in and play the game as normal. We apologize for the inconvenience to the impacted players.

Could you please be specific at the problem? We all know that problems occurs however would be nice to understand where the bug happened :)

Some people are saying it was a version looping (deployed a new version tho got the SemVer wrong?)

For sure not using the launcher ever, perhaps I will have better luck via Steam since some other users have reported better D/L speeds. No idea why SWTOR launcher caps speed at 8.6 mb/s.

Edit: Steam D/L speeds utilize my full speeds

Edited by Bustamanteverde

I wrote this the last time this happened:

I had left the game running overnight. It is running OK. But this has got to take the cake. They don't have any process around when, and how a patch is moved into production? No control on who can do it, no Change Approval Board or anything?!

Many companies do a Root Cause Analysis and improve their processes when they have an embarrassing incident involving their customers. Apparently nothing has changed with Bioware Austin.

Hi everyone,

This is impacting some players who are using the launcher and not Steam. If you are experiencing this issue, please do not download the current patch until we complete our investigation.

i mean u say that now...could you not have like made a big sign that popped that up before we ever started this ******** ?

:mad: I have read on these forums how the latest update is causing some people to have to reinstall the whole game. I also read that the issue was resolved. When I launched the "launcher" at 7:30 pm CST on 10/6/21 it auto started the update and now it's installing the whole game again. I have a 500 Mbps internet speed and it's gong on an hour and it's still downloading. Ridiculous!!!!!! :mad:

The launcher needs this as an option: check to start downloads MANUALLY and disable AUTO-DOWNLOADS

I could simply wait to see if there are problems before even attempting to download to avoid this in the future. I've been playing since the release date (off and on) and this has occurred many times over the years.

Edited by ImperialOrder

If you switch to steam your current subscription will still work?

Yes, it has the same launcher where you can log in using the same account. The only difference is that the launcher is not downloading anything, but Steam does.

Yes, it has the same launcher where you can log in using the same account. The only difference is that the launcher is not downloading anything, but Steam does.

Thanks for the update, I guess I will switch to steam, had enough of this ******** launcher, they should compensate for all the trouble they put us in over and over again!!!

Three hours in, and 26Gb+ left to go.

Yep...this is simply brutal and incomprehensible. Logging into play the game at server prime-time and you end up with a massive download instead because developers made a rookie mistake....priceless.

I know this is frustrating for players, especially if we do indeed need redo our keybinds and preferences. However, this is fairly funny. To wit, the game launcher or whatever broke so bad that if you hit the play button at login you now have to reinstall the entire game. And their short comment on the topic is simply "problem fixed but you probably have to download the entire game again."

In a different Star Wars universe I feel like this alone could have put Anakin on enough of a tilt to submit to the dark side.

God I really hope our binds were saved server side...

How could this have been tested before deployment?

Bioware uses it's paying customers for all testing. You must not have been around for long. :D

But I would like to thank Bioware for giving me yet another good reason to finally give up and un-install this mess. Their code has been bug-infested since launch and I think I've given them way way too long to get their act together.

I know this is frustrating for players, especially if we do indeed need redo our keybinds and preferences. However, this is fairly funny. To wit, the game launcher or whatever broke so bad that if you hit the play button at login you now have to reinstall the entire game. And their short comment on the topic is simply "problem fixed but you probably have to download the entire game again."

In a different Star Wars universe I feel like this alone could have put Anakin on enough of a tilt to submit to the dark side.

God I really hope our binds were saved server side...

The really funny thing is that I was playing this morning and my saved UI was somehow corrupted and I spent 40 minutes getting everything put back together before work. I came home, tried to log in and instead ended up in this infinite download hell. When I finally get back in, I get to look forward to fixing the UI that I just fixed.

That is some quality game play I am subscribing to. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dorendalin

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your patience as we investigated this issue. It has been resolved, however, please note that players who have downloaded or started to download the patch will have to re-download the game in its entirety. Those who have not patched should be able to log in and play the game as normal. We apologize for the inconvenience to the impacted players.

Thanks for finally giving me that final push to un-installing.

How could this have been tested before deployment?

Um... don't you mean "How could this NOT have been tested?" Literally Software Development 101 is TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST and TEST some more and THEN if it doesn't break, deploy.