***devs*** please make the combat tougher and more rewarding

beachgringo

I remember when the game first came out, it was a lot more difficult, then they made PVE battles even easier than WoW. Even without a companion it's a cake walk. Most of my guild left due to how there was no challenge in combat. I have come back to check out the game, and now it's even easier, can you even die in this game outside of instances or do I have some settings wrong. Love the stories and everything else about the game, it's come a long way. But non-instanced combat is embarrassingly easy.

Having spent the last few days going through every single master mode chapter in order, there is difficult PvE content in the game if you know where to look: master mode chapters, soloing veteran and master flashpoints, heroics (not so much these days but if you remove your companion it gets more interesting).

I do agree that combat could be tougher in some content areas, but I also agree that it should be a choice. Kotfe and Kotet were amazing in this regard as you could scale your difficulty from 'spam 1 button' up to 'if you don't know how to use everything at your disposal, you die.' I think the best solution would be to add a way to scale personal phase difficulty so that in the shared open world, everyone experiences the same thing. But then when you go into your personal story missions - be it base game or new expansion story phases - you get to decide how hard it should be.

I remember when end boss class story phases were so challenging people had to ask for help. I would love if that came back as a choice.

It is crazy to me there are some peope who are happy with way combat 's difficulty is through core gameplay. As it stands, difficulty, any difficulty, simply is not present as a game mechanic as you going through the default experience. Like..it feels one can't look at class stories and say" this combat is so easy"; difficulty isn't even there. Its like this were project in mid development, with a temp placeholder sitting in a void where difficulty, even a "very easy" setting will eventually be created and placed balanced. Core gameplay of TOR is like playing Super Mario where pitfalls aren't yet programmed to do anything.

Default experience of TOR doesn't give opportunities for players to fail or make mistakes that'd be meaningful or relevant in any way. "dang, should have used ability X instead" doesn't happen when you can literally be afk through 99% of fights:D It is as entertaining as rolling a dice that has 6 sides of :::

None of the above means I feel class stories should be difficult. They should be " something" at least. It is ridiculous how there are so many fights that storyline drums up as some sort of major encounter. Yet, every single jedi master or sith lord is just "splat* "splat* "splat* At no point is it possible to make mistakes that'd matter. You can start combat, go afk for 30 secs and return as a champion. Its rificulous.

Edited by Stradlin

Wont happen. Todays gamers are coddled and can't handle learning how to play. They want an easy ride. Just look at the Diablo 2 R beta feedback 90 percent of it is the games too hard.

Everyone gets a trophy society has extended into gaming for the past 10 years its now just something we live with.

Edited by TmoneyTime

That's not fair, there are people with Physical Disabilities, time constraints, etc... why should only "hard core" gamers be catered too? As someone with a painful disability it would be impossible for me to play if it got harder. My money is as good as anyone's and everyone deserves to play. People who want it harder, should just not gear and not use comps.

Nah, leave it like it is. This is a game for kids, too.

If you want things to be harder, drop some pieces of equipment. Pull off some mods or enhancements.

Keep dropping things until it's the difficulty level you like.

That way it's optional and everyone can find their own comfortable level.

For those of us that have leveled countless characters already, there is no need for harder leveling content. If you want harder content there is Kotfe, Kotet chapters which you can choose Vet or MM for to make them more challenging, MM Fp's, Vet or MM Ops.

At the best they could make an Option for increasing difficulty, as long as there is a way for players to have it stay the same as well.

Edited by Toraak

I remember when end boss class story phases were so challenging people had to ask for help. I would love if that came back as a choice.

I would love this as an option especially on the Inquisitor's Zash fight. That one used to be so hard you had to get help. To have the option to fight some of the class bosses on Vet/Master mode/as champions rather than easy elites would be excellent, especially if that hard mode was graded to your level to challenge those of us who use Master's Datacrons on alts.

I would love this as an option especially on the Inquisitor's Zash fight. That one used to be so hard you had to get help. To have the option to fight some of the class bosses on Vet/Master mode/as champions rather than easy elites would be excellent, especially if that hard mode was graded to your level to challenge those of us who use Master's Datacrons on alts.

I never saw this or the emperor fight. I started during 2.0 and by 3.0 the difficulty had changed. I do remember the Supreme Guardians fight (BH act 3) being really difficult, and leveling was such that if you were under it was very easy to die. I remember dying on Hutta and Ord Mantell so often I had broken gear that I couldn't repair.

Nah, leave it like it is. This is a game for kids, too.

No way. Lots of violence and heavy themes such as torture, sexual undertones present in script. Plus the overal horror in idea of making an MMO available for a minor.

Bypassing all that, I've seen 4&6 year old daughters of my GF's sisters play Mario Kart on skill level that goes far beyond anything core gameplay of TOR requires.

If you want things to be harder, drop some pieces of equipment. Pull off some mods or enhancements.

Keep dropping things until it's the difficulty level you like.

That way it's optional and everyone can find their own comfortable level.

Or stand on your one foot, play with eyes closed, using your toes for controls. Gimmicky, arbirtary things that are in no way recognized by the game aren't as good difficulty sliders as..actual difficulty sliders.

It is so strange how people, without failure, assume "make tor more difficult" equals "Make TOR leveling the dark souls of MMos!"

What most people are asking is for experience to stop being ridiculous. They aren't asking for experience to become difficult.

Edited by Stradlin

Most have requested that you have options. I still don't understand why this is a problem. It would give the ones that like things harder a way to play like they like, a middle point for those that don't want it too hard but not too easy and then an easier version. The point is that people can chose which one they like and this to me is a win/win situation.

This would hopefully stop the attacks on each other and the name calling etc.

Edited by casirabit

You still don't take into account disabled players!

Some players here don't care about young players, disabled players, or players that just aren't on the same level. We've seen this in many threads. Level sync at this stage can't be removed, as we've such a new player base, it would probably do a lot of damage. BUT what people have been asking for, for years is a way to scale content in instances up. Give us a vet, or HM version on the class stories & instanced content,, so people can enjoy the game at a level they choose. I'm not a programmer, so I've no idea how difficult it would be, but I'd love to see a CM or Dev actually comment on this, and see if it is possible.

Simple solution:

Make optional permanent debuffs for those players that feel the game is too easy

1: A permanent version of the White Acute Debuff (reduces experience)

2: A permanent debuff that caps all secondary statistics (Shield, Defense, Critical,etc) at a level sync level. These abilities are what make the characters feel overpowered. (" I take no damage from anything" and " I one shot everything" complaints)

3: A permanent debuff that lowers your level sync level by 2 and can be stacked for those that want even more challenge.

In case you get someone who thought the game was to easy and found that it was actually harder than they thought with the debuffs, create a Cartel Market item to remove the "permanent" debuffs

That way, the people who want more challeng can have it while not affecting the vast majority of players in the game.

Can we separate the game into care bear level and challenge level.

Care Bear walk around with no mobs no gear just cut scenes and dialog choices. No you don't need gear or credits just watch your interactive movie.

Challenge level mechanics that matter, strategic enemies, gear drops, min maxing. Thought provoking interesting tactics.

Wonder what would be more interesting.

Your idea of "care bear" is just too sarcastic to take seriously.

There IS harder content available if you look for it.

It does take time and effort to gear up enough to be able to play it.

Not everyone has 306 gear and 50th level comps and optimized apps.

(My highest has 301 level- which does make a big difference when compared to 270 just doing those %$(*& star fortresses to fight the good fight aka get yet another companion that you have to get the influence up that doesn't even speak basic....)

:D

Edited by Shayddow
correction

/Agreed. Choices are nice and that way people can chose for themselves and not have others demand what the choice should be.

I have suggested on numerous occasions something similar to this.

If the area is instanced it can be designed to select:

** Group story mode

** Group Veteran mode

** Group Master (or Elite ) Mode

** Solo story

** Solo Veteran

** Solo Master (or Elite )

IMO this should have been a higher priority than some of the other items we've seen as of late.

Also: it would be a good idea to see the return of the " repeatable chapters" as we had in KotFE / ET so that we could replay with an increase in difficulty at a later time. ( I always liked that idea).

(edited)

Edited by OlBuzzard

I have suggested on numerous occasions something similar to this.

If the area is instanced it can be designed to select:

** Group story mode

** Group Veteran mode

** Group Master (or Elite ) Mode

** Solo story

** Solo Veteran

** Solo Master (or Elite )

IMO this should have been a higher priority than some of the other items we've seen as of late.

You're preaching to the choir :) I just wish BW would listen too.

I hope the that people who think disabled players are "care bears" never suffer the pain of becoming disabled or seeing someone they love struggle with a disability.

Over the past several months I've developed joint pain that severely limits my playtime and ability, so I can understand where you're coming from. However, you are pigeonholing disabled people, taking away their agency, insisting that they can only do easy content because that's all you can do. I would politely suggest you check yourself: you don't speak for all disabled people any more than I do or any one person does. No one here has suggested changing the difficulty to exclude disabled people, they are suggesting options.

Lastly, if someone calls people who only want easy content a carebear, and you take offense to that, then the name fits, but that does not mean he is calling all disabled people that. Again, check yourself.

Edited by Ardrossan

No one here has suggested changing the difficulty to exclude disabled people, they are suggesting options.

Err, quite a few people in this thread and others have basically been suggesting just that. Most people are advocating for options (very good thing I think), but there are still plenty of people advocating for universally increased difficulty, usually with some argument that it forces people to learn how to play "properly"

Obviously they are not specifically trying to exclude anyone (well, mostly), but that will be the result anyway.

As one of those disabled players, I absolutely resent the care bear BS. I'm not here for a a purely cinematic experience as was suggested, but I'm also not here to be frustrated either. By all means add harder options, but to suggest taking away the actual game from "care bear" people so that other people can have their challenging content is selfish, childish and more than a little insulting

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.