What does (re)playing a "class" story using a "non-class" combat style mean to you?

Zorii_Bliss

Chances are the way the cutscenes are set up for the Trooper and Agent is that the cutscene is pointing to a specific file to use, ie Trooper_Cutscene_Pistol.file or Agent_Cutscene_Pistol.file. While Bounty Hunters and Smugglers have a script in place to use the equipped main hand weapon, ie Weapon=Pistol_Dynamic

Now they might be able to use the dynamic script or whatever in place of the file pathing that Troopers and Agents use or they might now. Obviously it would be great if they could however based on SWTOR's existing history with updates and changes over the last decade I'm expecting it to change but I hope I'm wrong.

I don't know about your hypothesis there... I think it's the other way around.

The cutscene states to look for a blaster, but if you don't have a specific one equipped, you get a default one.

The reason I think this is more likely is because you can actually unequip your blaster and have nothing in your hands and the game still has to work in cut-scenes.

Most likely the bounty hunter and smuggler have default blasters as well, for situations like this.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Combat style means nothing to me, what so ever. I'll make more characters (and buy more slots) if they do something substantial with character creation. However, I will make stealth loadouts for everyone for those times I don't feel like clearing trash.

Similar for me. Combat styles are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned when it comes to the class stories. I'm more interested in the story and the choices rather than my character's play style. Class story is the reason I have so many alts. BUT depending how they let us customise our abilities for my sorcerers I'd love to buy/get force choke (because, well it's force choke) and stealth for sneaking. I love sneaking.

I'm wondering what it is going to mean for some cutscenes.

For instance, you shock many people with lightning in Sorcerer cutscenes. What happens if you choose light side skills now? I'm assuming you're still going to be shocking people with lightning in cutscenes so that's gonna be a bit odd.

I don't know about your hypothesis there... I think it's the other way around.

The cutscene states to look for a blaster, but if you don't have a specific one equipped, you get a default one.

The reason I think this is more likely is because you can actually unequip your blaster and have nothing in your hands and the game still has to work in cut-scenes.

Most likely the bounty hunter and smuggler have default blasters as well, for situations like this.

I was referring to the way the cutscenes are currently set up. The Trooper & Agent cutscenes have some kind of pathing in place to use those cutscene specific blaster models they use however you might be right given that all 4 tech classes use the same blaster animations in cutscenes so maybe it will be whatever you currently have equipped, ie dynamic, vs a place holder if you're using a Combat Style that doesn't use pistols.

For instance, you shock many people with lightning in Sorcerer cutscenes. What happens if you choose light side skills now? I'm assuming you're still going to be shocking people with lightning in cutscenes so that's gonna be a bit odd.

Those instances are unlikely to change. They are separating story from gameplay. What you chose as your combat style will have no effect on story.

Edited by Darth-Obvious

They'll keep doing it. My Jedi have Force Choke options for Tora and no Force Choke skill.

And how many times will you replay that story with a different combat style?

How much mileage is in this, especially if you've already played all the stories with any number of toons, each with their own headcanon?

I would estimate a couple new play throughs for me once I decide what I want to play. I will likely play through w/ one new Tech and one new Force character and that's it.

Probably a BH-Vanguard/Op and a Jedi Knight-Assassin/Sent if I am understanding the system correctly.

TBH since returning a few weeks back I am only playing through Class stories w/ a light splash of unranked PvP... SWTOR class stories are no question the best part of this game IMO.

yes, none of the npc's will react and the cutscenes are from their pov. You basically live in your own reality but nobody else sees it.

this is why I will create a jedi counsellor that will use the sorc combat style and shoot lightning and still be light side. How can I do that? Because I have DS V unlocked on my account and I just get some twisted laughs from it, that I will be able to get the title of Master while using dark side skills where Anakin couldn't. There...I said it.

Edited by Tsillah

You could headcanon the lightning scenes as your character using electric judgement, basically a light side version of force lightning that very few jedi could use.

Nothing to me, best wishes to the player(s) who are looking forward to this.

I will be keeping the original abilities for my characters. It may have meant more if we still had all 8 classes with ongoing unique stories. As we pretty much don't get individual stories after chapter 3. I don't really see the point.

You could headcanon the lightning scenes as your character using electric judgement, basically a light side version of force lightning that very few jedi could use.

I don't think light sided people electrocute people outside of fights, sir. =P

All of the stories will still be the same. Nothing from the stand point of all of the VA's ... story choices, etc will be affected.

So I will not be re-running or creating new alts just for the 7.0 changes.

Bottom line: the new style does not mean anything at all ... except for how I can play the game for future releases and the continued participation in Heroics / FP's and other aspects that will grow with the game.

I will be keeping the original abilities for my characters. It may have meant more if we still had all 8 classes with ongoing unique stories. As we pretty much don't get individual stories after chapter 3. I don't really see the point.

If you haven't already, try out the PTS. If it stays anything like it is now, you may not have a choice in having all your character's original abilities if they stick with making us choose one of three base specs. See all the PTS posts about force choke being removed from one of the base specs for sentinels.

To everyone saying that Combat Styles will enable you to play your class with different movesets/weapons, no it won't.

See, the only thing CS will allow you to do is choose a different class for whatever story you pick. The idea that this enables you to play your BH with an assault cannon is ridiculous. It will allow you to play a Trooper while playing through the BH story.

You've always been able to outfit your character to fit your own headcanon. This isn't something new. And as many have pointed out, it's not like they will change cutscenes to allow you to have a different weapon than the story already has programmed in.

If anything 7.0 makes your story choice have less impact and less synergy with your class than before. If you choose Trooper CS and BH story you are a TROOPER not a BH.

To everyone saying that Combat Styles will enable you to play your class with different movesets/weapons, no it won't.

See, the only thing CS will allow you to do is choose a different class for whatever story you pick. The idea that this enables you to play your BH with an assault cannon is ridiculous. It will allow you to play a Trooper while playing through the BH story.

You've always been able to outfit your character to fit your own headcanon. This isn't something new. And as many have pointed out, it's not like they will change cutscenes to allow you to have a different weapon than the story already has programmed in.

If anything 7.0 makes your story choice have less impact and less synergy with your class than before. If you choose Trooper CS and BH story you are a TROOPER not a BH.

Not really. Any class that didn't use a Blaster Pistol in combat, used one in cut scenes. Lightsabers? Even the Dual Wield acted as if single wield, dual blade held as if single blade.

Also, you're not a Trooper. You'd be a Bounty Hunter who's a Commando (as that would be the Combat Style).

Not really. Any class that didn't use a Blaster Pistol in combat, used one in cut scenes. Lightsabers? Even the Dual Wield acted as if single wield, dual blade held as if single blade.

Also, you're not a Trooper. You'd be a Bounty Hunter who's a Commando (as that would be the Combat Style).

No you would be a BH in a few cutscenes during your storyline pre expansions. The bulk of your time spent on a character is tied to your class gameplay. If your recognized as a BH for 5% of the time on a fully maxed, end game activity, character but the rest of it your gameplay is Trooper how does that make you a BH outside of headcanon which already exists without CS.

There are benefits to this system. But to go as far to say your getting to play a class any different than you do now in terms of class fantasy is a fallacy. But I'm sure my words fall on deaf ears to anyone that can't bere the thought of BW being criticized.

No you would be a BH in a few cutscenes during your storyline pre expansions. The bulk of your time spent on a character is tied to your class gameplay. If your recognized as a BH for 5% of the time on a fully maxed, end game activity, character but the rest of it your gameplay is Trooper how does that make you a BH outside of headcanon which already exists without CS.

There are benefits to this system. But to go as far to say your getting to play a class any different than you do now in terms of class fantasy is a fallacy. But I'm sure my words fall on deaf ears to anyone that can't bere the thought of BW being criticized.

You mentioned a Trooper CS. There is no such thing. Trooper is your base class or origin story. Commando and Vanguard will be the CS's that stem from the Trooper base class but you will be able to use all tech CS's.

You really should look at the topic again, you're not understanding how it works. So let me try to make it easy for ya:

Trooper, Smuggler, Imperial Agent and Bounty Hunter are the 4 tech base classes and they will be renamed to Origin Story but you could say base class if you want.

Commando, Vanguard, Gunslinger, Scoundrel, Mercenary, Powertech, Sniper and Operative will be the tech Combat Styles. and they will be available as a group to any of the 4 tech base classes mentioned above.

You do have a limit of picking two of the CS's per character though and you can switch between them using loadouts. You can still respec within your 2 chosen CS's because Disciplines will still exist within each CS. Utilities will be gone as they are merged with your abilities.

Hopefully that clears things up for you.

The Trooper is a storyline. What does, what weapon I use, make it a Bounty Hunter? The story is what makes one the Bounty Hunter, not the weapon or combat style they use. Just look at the companions. Dual Wield use and doesn't count as a Sentinel. Dual Blade Saber use, doesn't count as Consular.

Going by this logic, a commando on live is not a trooper. You're a trooper who is a commando.

Same with vanguard, you're not actually a trooper. You're a trooper who is a vanguard.

Makes no sense right?

As other people have said, trooper is not a combat style. If you play a bounty hunter origin story with a commando combat style, you are playing a bounty hunter. If you play a bounty hunter with the sniper combat style, you are still a bounty hunter. Your combat style has no impact on your story - it only changes combat. That's why they've been renamed from "advanced class" to "combat style". Advanced class implies it is derived from the base class while a tech combat style is a nebulous thing that any tech origin story can choose to use for combat.

That holds no appeal to me, I play the class stories (and this game as a whole) for the story content. I hate MMO combat in general and think it's boring so swapping one endlessly spammed rotation for another is not exciting.

This'll be good for new players, who come in and go "I wish I could be using that weapon on this character that I like more."

And for old players who wished they could've used other weapons on those class stories.

Single Blade Melee Combatant for Consular? Yes please!

Now, older players may have wished to have just had the option to turn Shadow Specs into Single Blades use. Or use a Blaster Rifle on that Agent instead of Sniper, etc, on the specs they already have, but this isn't a bad thing imo.

Now just have to hope the new Combat Styles have the fun abilities while they prune them.

That holds no appeal to me, I play the class stories (and this game as a whole) for the story content. I hate MMO combat in general and think it's boring so swapping one endlessly spammed rotation for another is not exciting.

Agreed...They should add a stamina bar w/ a dodge mechanic to every class to up combat fun.

What you're describing falls in line with traditional MMO combat, ie WoW, but other MMOs like ESO and GW2 offer something a bit different as did Wildstar when it was still around.

Agreed...They should add a stamina bar w/ a dodge mechanic to every class to up combat fun.

While making the combat like Dark Souls would be going too far SWTOR needs some kind of update or refresh to its combat. It doesn't have anything to call its own and what it does have doesn't hold up to the competition.