The Monetization Timebomb

FlatTax

Have you played Outer Wilds. I think you'd find that it's a new game with lots of soul

Hmmm, thanks for that but I checked a video of it but it appears to be first person. That's unfortunate because I can't play first person games :(

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My position is pretty modest:

Our game mechanics shouldn't be monetized beyond our subscriptions.

So you also want BioWare to get rid of all the outfits, weapons, crystals, decorations, dyes, companions and other cash shop items because we don’t get them free with our subs?

And before you say they aren’t mechanics, I beg to differ. Space barbies is definitely a game mechanic these days and so is stronghold decorating.

On top of that, you also have the opportunity to earn CC from doing GS. My wife has hardly ever had many CC in the history of the game, now she’s got 10,000.

It didn’t cost her any money and she can now buy stuff she wants. All she had to do was 10 mins work a day on each server and make sure she logged in 4 days a week (which she did by default).

She even missed out on a bunch of points at the start due to bugs.

No one is forcing anyone to pay real money to race through GS or play catch up. I even warned people at the start not to do it. If people do it, then they have more money or CCs to waste than the average player or they are dumb.

There’s no reason to pay real money and you get a bunch of free CCs along the way for doing GS.

That’s the only reason I did it (for the free CC). I didnt need more companions or gear to clog up my already full cargo holds.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

So you also want BioWare to get rid of all the outfits, weapons, crystals, decorations, dyes, companions and other cash shop items because we don’t get them free with our subs?

And before you say they aren’t mechanics, I beg to differ. Space barbies is definitely a game mechanic these days and so is stronghold decorating.

On top of that, you also have the opportunity to earn CC from doing GS. My wife has hardly ever had many CC in the history of the game, now she’s got 10,000.

It didn’t cost her any money and she can now buy stuff she wants. All she had to do was 10 mins work a day on each server and make sure she logged in 4 days a week (which she did by default).

She even missed out on a bunch of points at the start due to bugs.

No one is forcing anyone to pay real money to race through GS or play catch up. I even warned people at the start not to do it. If people do it, then they have more money or CCs to waste than the average player or they are dumb.

There’s no reason to pay real money and you get a bunch of free CCs along the way for doing GS.

That’s the only reason I did it (for the free CC). I didnt need more companions or gear to clog up my already full cargo holds.

IMO .. it all comes down to individuality .. and choice !

That said IF .. the choices came down to spend the cash or do with out ... that is another matter. BUT as far as I can tell none of the game "mechanics" which are required or even needed for QOL in order to play the game are attached to monetization.

Granted they have provided an "easy way (AKA lazy) way to get things via the CM INCLUDING companions, But that still remains in the hands of the individual to make a choice.

That would be like me telling my wife I am being forced to spend 100K (USD) on a bass boat in order to keep up with the market and catch my share of fish ! :eek:

(like that's going to happen) :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It is the same principle !! In stead I'm almost exactly the opposite. I could go and get one right now !! :eek::eek::eek:

** But I refuse to be stupid with my money

** I can still get a nice 20 ft rig (top name brand) with a 250 and keep my expenses to less than 1/2 of that amount !!

NO ... That will not happen over night! I've been watching the market aggressively for 8 months now !! IMO ... It's just a matter of time and it will happen!

It's about choice !!

The achievability of the grind isn't the issue. It simply doesn't matter. Nor does the perceived unimportance of the loot.

What matters is the existence of an in-game loot grind with cash-outs, on top of our subscription.

Structurally, and I would argue morally, that's a problem. We shouldn't wait until something of great value gets walled behind the 89th level of a monetized grind to speak out, or, frankly, to see the problem at all.

You can argue as much as you like, does not mean I or anyone else has to agree with you.

You guys are missing the forest for the trees.

Grinds paired with cash-outs are a form of paywall, and exist to incentivize cash transactions. You're focusing on the achievability of the grind instead of asking why subscribers are being subjected to a monetized mechanic at all.

It's a mistake that's fueling the decline of gaming.

You are not being forced to do anything at all, You may think so as with any other player you have a right to your opinion. Seems most of us who have posted in this thread disagree with you. You may not like that, but you will have to except it.

Not that I agree with your grind mentality in the first place, most of the daily GS can be done in less than 10-30 mins. Hardly a grind.

As for fuelling the decline of gaming, is it? Or is it actually saving the game from being scrapped?

So the question is how many CC have you spent on GS? Or is it you have spent zero CC, and just assume everybody else has?

Edited by Nevaeh-Heaven

You can argue as much as you like, does not mean I or anyone else has to agree with you.

You are not being forced to do anything at all, You may think so as with any other player you have a right to your opinion. Seems most of us who have posted in this thread disagree with you. You may not like that, but you will have to except it.

Not that I agree with your grind mentality in the first place, most of the daily GS can be done in less than 10-30 mins. Hardly a grind.

As for fuelling the decline of gaming, is it? Or is it actually saving the game from being scrapped?

So the question is how many CC have you spent on GS? Or is it you have spent zero CC, and just assume everybody else has?

I care about structures and their purpose.

This is an almost surreal experience for me. It's as if EA has put us all in a giant cauldron of water, set us over an enormous raging fire, and nobody cares because the water isn't hot yet.

Why can you guys see it. BW is nickel and diming us pass our subscription. Galactic Season force us to buy Cartel Coins. It’s so obvious, I don’t understand why you can’t see it like FlatTax!!!

There are 100 levels. It takes 800 points to get to level 100!!!!! 800 Points!!!!! That’s 8 points per level. You can earn 3 points per daily. With only 2 dailies!!! That is 6 Points a day!!! 12 Points for weekly. Again, there are only 2 weeklies. So maximum number of points per week of a player can earn is 66. So, reach level 100 in Galactic Season it will take 12.1 weeks. Since Galactic Season started on Apr 27, 2021 and ends on Sep 27, 2021. That only gives us 21 weeks to complete Galactic Season. How is anyone supposed to complete it without buying Cartel Coins?!?! To add insult to injury. You earn 2,000 Cartel Coins!!!. 200 Cartel Coins every 5 levels. After level 3 (skipping level 8 but earned on level 100)

So, putting in the bare minimum work without purchasing cartel coins and not using your security key or subscription ones. It takes 9.6 weeks out of 21 weeks to earn all rewards, this using the free cartel coins to reduce the amount of effort.

BW is greedy forcing us to buy cartel coins!!!!

Notes:

*These numbers are based solely on be sub since that is what the thread is about.

**I'm being sarcastic. I know someone reading this will think I'm seriously siding with OP.

***Took a week off due to any bugs that occurred. (I just recently resub so unsure on if there were any bugs that prevent erranding points) **EDIT**

Why can't you see it? BW isn't nickel and diming me at all. I spent 0 on the Galactic seasons. Just play the game and you'll get what you need for FREE!!!

Edited by Toraak

Why can't you see it? BW isn't nickel and diming me at all. I spent 0 on the Galactic seasons. Just play the game and you'll get what you need for FREE!!!

YUP ! Pretty much !

I personally also see it as an opportunity for many folks to get stuff that us old timers had access to ! They complete stuff ... and earn stuff !! Pretty straight forward actually. And yes .. there are the short cuts available BUT ONLY if someone chooses to do so. NONE of which directly affect how the game is played (won or lost).

• 1 month later...
Even a casual player can easily finish GS by logging in a few times a week.

No, you can't....

I have a life that does not revolve around SWToR. I try my best to log in at least 4 times a week but can't always do that. I don't have time to GRIND the daily's and many times the dailies are ALL PvP or OP's. I DO NOT PVP , my guild is too small to do OP's and as far as doing PUG's (Pretty Useless Group's) Not Gona Do It.

After playing "Casually" I have managed to complete Galactic Seasons at level 25. That is FAR from level 200, by just playing Casually.

To complete Galactic Seasons, as a Casual Player. YOU MUST GRIND the Daily's to reach 200, there is other way.

Edited by denavin

This is a very similar mentality to WoW's fomo "time limited" rewards, very against that system though at least based on what I ve seen from swtor over the years, they do often bring back things that were removed and dont have a ridiculous "you should have been there to get them" stance unlike the devs in games like WoW so I feel it isnt AS BAD.

Though let's get one thing clear, money is profitable enough to keep going, it absolutely could get more content but money is as usual siphoned by Ceos and other's on top, not on the employees or in the game.

Dont blame the devs for the lack of content or the perceived price of subs for content, they do not have any real power and the people who have the power dont really care, they only care about maximizing profit for themselves, as long as they are allowed to do that and companies are all about that, dont expect much to change.

For swtor to get more funding it will need to get some huge boost in profit to make it worthwhile in their eyes, though with all the people leaving wow and spreading around to many mmos it could see a healthy boost.

No, you can't....

I have a life that does not revolve around SWToR. I try my best to log in at least 4 times a week but can't always do that. I don't have time to GRIND the daily's and many times the dailies are ALL PvP or OP's. I DO NOT PVP , my guild is too small to do OP's and as far as doing PUG's (Pretty Useless Group's) Not Gona Do It.

After playing "Casually" I have managed to complete Galactic Seasons at level 25. That is FAR from level 200, by just playing Casually.

To complete Galactic Seasons, as a Casual Player. YOU MUST GRIND the Daily's to reach 200, there is other way.

Just want to correct one thing it is not 200 it is 100.

I was able to make 16.400 Cartel Coins during Galactic Seasons 1 simply by playing the game. I got 4.000 Cartel Coins for each of the 4 servers where I play on and 400 Cartel Coins just for logging into the french server each day.

If that is considered a monetization timebomb, I am quite happy that it blew up in my face.

Edited by Phazonfreak

We're less than 60 days out from the end of GS Season 1, and EA is hoping it'll spur a rash of cash purchases, as items from a grind we were never intended to complete threaten to disappear.

Wow... that bit just made me laugh...

I came in late to the GS. I only started playing again about 2 months ago. I've logged in daily before going to work. I've done a daily here and there and I've done a weekly when it wasn't too much work.

And I'm already lvl 100 in the GS.

So... what's this "grind we were never intended to complete" talk about?

You had 5 months to do it. I did it in less than 2 months without even putting an effort into it.

100-level grinds, paired with a timer and cash-outs, aren't intended to be completed. They're intended to produce cash-outs.

Strange... I completed mine in 2 months without effort.

Also, just doing the math... there's 21 weeks between April 27th and September 27th.

That's 84 points from just logging in and doing nothing else.

That's 10 levels.

And then you have 154 days to do dailies. You can do 2 each day that gives you 3 points each. That's 924 points there.

More than needed for lvl 100.

You also have the weekly tasks. 2 each week, netting you 24 points per week over 21 weeks, which gives you 504 points.

And the tasks are in the form of "kill 75 of enemy X" or "play 1 PvP match" for the dailies, so it's not like they're hard to do or very time consuming.

So... again... how exactly is this designed to not be completed?

I mean... if that's the goal they were going for, they failed epically.

Really? I've been done for weeks...

Yes, really.

You're not typical, and EA is counting on people like you to set the tone in the forums. I'm on level 25. If their monetization experts have done their job, a significant number of people are now scrambling to buy rewards that are about to disappear. It's why this system's structure exists.

Also, focusing on the perceived achievability of the grind is a mistake. One EA is also counting on. The real issue is subscribers having their subs devalued by paywalling content behind timed grinds. And yes, grinds, paired with cash-outs, absolutely are paywalls.

100-level grinds, paired with a timer and cash-outs, aren't intended to be completed. They're intended to produce cash-outs.

they're not? Oh my what was it I did then in the 1st 11-12 weeks of Galactic seasons then? Oh that's right I played the game and finished on 2 servers without spending any credits or CC's. My bad I did it wrong.

they're not? Oh my what was it I did then in the 1st 11-12 weeks of Galactic seasons then? Oh that's right I played the game and finished on 2 servers without spending any credits or CC's. My bad I did it wrong.

Rest assured, you, as an individual, are doing exactly what EA wants. In fact, they want some unknown percentage of us to be just like you.

Edited by FlatTax

Rest assured, you, as an individual, are doing exactly what EA wants. In fact, they want some unknown percentage of us to be just like you.

Although we don't have the numbers, I'd say he is more likely in a higher percentage, then those who buy their way through. I know a few here have bought their way through, but they only did this, as thy had a surplus of cc's from referral links, the amount of people who actually bought cc's for the purpose of rushing through, was probably very low.

And like the other poster, I managed to do 4 servers, with minimal effort, and am on level 60+ on my last one.

Season 2 may be different, the new changes sound bad, but till I see them in action, I won't be sure how much of GS I will be doing.

Completed GS on 2 servers and never spent one cent on it, on the contrary I earned double the amount of CC with little effort. Not sure what this thread is about...

It's about subscribers having content paywalled behind monetized grinds with timers.

It's structurally problematic, and we should protest it before EA tunes it aggressively.

And yes, monetized grinds are paywalls.

Edited by FlatTax