Not a Fan of the British Accents

Zedkuss

I love the accents in-game, all of them. Personally, I'd love to be able to swap my Republic characters' voices to be British, especially FemHawke - I mean the Imperial Agent - as my Consular. And you say a British/Imperial accent isn't badawss, but I find my Consular to have the most non-threatening voice when she's trying to threaten someone.

Maybe it's because I'm British, and I would like my Jedi to speak similarly to Sir Alec Guinness or Ewan McGregor, or even Ian McDiarmid. But, instead, I choose to play a series of Light-sided Sith and Imperial characters.

And yeah, historically the Imperials have been British, the Republic/Rebels were American. So, the Sith Empire's got an array of British-sounding accents (mostly on the Recieved Pronounciation side of things), whilst the Republic has a series of American-sounding accents. That's Hollywood for you!

Tim

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

according to George lucas, imperials were all british people and the rebels were all americans. they even went so far as to re-dub the british rebel actors in empire strikes back to achieve this. the fact that all imperials in this game use british accents is most likely a rule enforced by lucasarts. I.E. not something bioware can change.

Are you sure about that? Denis Lawson (Wedge Antilles) is Scottish, Biggs was English and if we’re including Alec Guinness he’s clearly English. (granted Biggs had a fairly small part in the theatrical version) I always assumed the number of British actors was down to the fact that so much of A New Hope was made at Pinewood Studios.

My personal opinion it should have been:

Sith: English

Operative: English (possibly German or Russian though)

Bounty Hunter: English or American

Jedi: English (The American accent for the JK is awful, Jedi work a lot better with English accents)

Smuggler: Herriso. . . I mean American.

Trooper: Not too fussed to be hones so I’m gonna say a comedy Spanish accent.

And yeah, historically the Imperials have been British, the Republic/Rebels were American. So, the Sith Empire's got an array of British-sounding accents (mostly on the Recieved Pronounciation side of things), whilst the Republic has a series of American-sounding accents. That's Hollywood for you!

Tim

They even have a Scottish engineer in Balmorra! :D

I believe that British people are known and teased (in AMerica) for their teeth and accents, which would give them a distinct physical characteristics, making them a race.

Not sure if troll is serious, deeming a race based on a pre-misconception. Only an american can come to such a conclusion.

British accent? no such thing. It's either a Scotish or English accent.

And yes, from the movies i remember the imps had English accents.

There are also Welsh and Irish accents...

Though I think there should have been more Russian and Chinese accents in the game.

Not sure if troll is serious, deeming a race based on a pre-misconception. Only an american can come to such a conclusion.

Race is a social construct. There is no genetic difference between one "race" or another. Youre generalization makes you just as bad as us lazy americans.

I just hope in the future we get more Brit accents...Irish, Geordies, Scousers, Brummies (put them on hoth, they all have a cold anyway :p), Gipo's (where I live in Wales, they make a large portion of the area...and I want my character to have a choice answer saying 'what did you say and in what language')

My only gripe on the accents is after a while they become monotonous, and not all imperials are brit accents, my BH sounds EXACTLY like the person that did the voice for Freelancer (Ian Ziering) to the point I sometimes think I AM playing Freelancer.

Hopefully BW will put in some stereotypical lines next time round....i just want to hear a Welsh Captain/Major say 'boyo!'

Even the robots have English accents..

My point is I want to be a feared and powerful mighty sith warrior with no patience or sympathy, and when people hear my voice they should tremble in fear..I think of tea and knickers when I hear my guy talk

<very sad face>

You see I completely disagree with you I think the Sith Warrior voice is a good strong, all be it posh voice, the Inquisitor is sly and sneaky. I think you’re problem is that you’re looking at an English accent as belonging to an archetypal tea drinking posh boy.

hey don't drag us into this. whatever "race" the OP is, he doesn't represent anyone but himself.

i <3 british people and my SI and IA's accents are sexy as hell.

I'm not 100% sure what your point is, OP, but if it's that there's too many British Accents in this game, I'd have to agree

It seems like everyone I meet has a British accent - nothing like the movies

Well remember all the actors accept the main characters were British in the movies. In fact the movies almost didn't get made cause they weren't meeting deadlines because the British crews refused to work through tea times and after 6:00 or 7:00 pm.

Don't believe me it's part of whole documentary that was put out a few years ago. About the making of the original movies.

:o

I wish my jedi's would have had proper english accents, instead of american.:(

Same here. I got my JK to level 8. I have very little compulsion to go back thee the voice is a big part of that. Did BW not watch Samuel L in RotS. It was miscasting on an epic scale.

I’ve just though. I want a Bounty Hunter voiced by Sean Bean.

I just hope in the future we get more Brit accents...Irish, Geordies, Scousers, Brummies (put them on hoth, they all have a cold anyway :p), Gipo's (where I live in Wales, they make a large portion of the area...and I want my character to have a choice answer saying 'what did you say and in what language')

My only gripe on the accents is after a while they become monotonous, and not all imperials are brit accents, my BH sounds EXACTLY like the person that did the voice for Freelancer (Ian Ziering) to the point I sometimes think I AM playing Freelancer.

Hopefully BW will put in some stereotypical lines next time round....i just want to hear a Welsh Captain/Major say 'boyo!'

I disagree. If they want to use mostly English or American accents, that's cool. But I don't really want any more Irish, Scottish, Welsh or provincial accents added. Not because I dislike those accents, but it detracts from my immersion. I want to feel like I'm in an alternative universe, not like I just stepped into a bar 'doon toon'.

Why not add in some European diversity. Accents such as Finnish, Swedish, Estonian, Polish, those would all add some exotic flavour. Or why nto add in some Asian, Indian, and Middle Eastern? If it is going to stay stereotypical, keep it basic, but please don't start adding provincial accents.

Jesus H Christ, when are you Americans gonna learn that there is no such thing as a 'British Accent'...

'Britain' (arguably) includes England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, all of which have massively differnt accents. Regional accents also vary widely; there are hundreds of accents on the UK, just like there are in the US.

To Quote Wikipedia:

"Accents and dialects vary widely across Britain; as such, a single "British accent" does not exist"

There... I feel better now...

Edited by LirgoFurr

I can honestly say I've never been "mesmerised" by anyones accent. To make you feel better, I have a California accent, where I live now, people tell me to say phrases too and I'm still in the United States. The peole ammused by accents are the same people who are usually occupied with shiny objects for hours... even days.

Some voices are sexy...plain and simple. Has little to do with how they may look tho. I could stare at Halley Berry for hours. But I donot find her voice to be sexy as such.

Edited by Valkirus

Did you come across the Welsh NPC in Dromund Kaas?

If you mean the guy on the bridge who asks you to get turret plans (near the Sithspawn heroic), I think that's Simon Templeman again - who is also doing his usual excellent style when talking to us as Grand Moff Kilran in BT or Esseles. ;) Also Loghain in DA1.

This all started with Irvin Kershner (Director of The Empire Strikes Back). He made a point to making all the imperials english and all the rebels american. This is stated on the special edition comentary. This game just continues the tradition.

*edit name

Edited by Jayntree